style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3073 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have the doctors today, I was there 4 weeks ago and she gave me citalopram which to be honest have made me worse, I cant sleep at nights and when i do i wake up only a few hours sleep. my mum told me i seem to be angry like outbursts now and again.

Will the doctor extend my sick note. I dont really know what to say.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just tell your GP how you're feeling and ask them for more time.

Citalopram isn't a 'nice' medication to take and can have some pretty difficult to deal with side-effects.

My views are my own and are not representative of any organisation. if you've found my post helpful please click on the star below.

I have been on Citalopram for 7 years now, it can have side effects which affect people differently, it works for me,

however it does disrupt sleep so I take mine in the AM when I have breakfast rather than in the evening.

Depending how long you've been taking it for, give it some time to kick in, usually a couple of weeks before it has real effect.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

I have been on Citalopram for 7 years now, it can have side effects which affect people differently, it works for me,

however it does disrupt sleep

I was the complete opposite - I had to take it sitting in bed and then 10 mins later it was lights out for 12 hours... Then the most incredible tiredness for the rest of the day. As you say though it did ease off after about a month but I was in the habit then of it being the last thing I did before going to bed.

My views are my own and are not representative of any organisation. if you've found my post helpful please click on the star below.

Weird how it affects people in different ways??

It's just a chemical at the end of the day I suppose and some people are more prone to reactions than others. For some reason I need about twice the dose of anesthetic at the dentist's but in hospital the dose of 'conscious sedation' I was given before a procedure knocked me into next week, literally - I lost a day and was off my feet for another 3 days...

• 2 months later...

I've been on ESA for around 15 weeks now and iv still not got a medical to go to. Should i be expecting a letter from the company who deal with these medicals.

Also It says after 13 weeks you get placed into a group and the money increases, when does this happen as its not happened yet.

My doctor only seems to give me 4 week sick notes and its very stressful having to get on a wednesday and sending them hoping they arrive before the following friday, My previous sick note didn't arrive and i got very stressful and had to wait for some department to call my local GP, Can i get these changed to a more longer frequency.

Thanks

Hi there.

The current wait time for getting to an ATOS medical is between 36-44 weeks so I don't see you getting it any time soon Sad to say the Medical assessment itself is a farce anyway IMHO the best you can do is phone ESA/Atos once a week every week to try and move things along.

As one ATOS call center adviser told me He who shouts loudest gets heard meaning phone once a week not scream down the phone :)

As to getting longer sick notes Only your GP can do that for you have a word with your Doctor to see if they can be extended though your Doctor may only be issuing you 1 month at a time as there is an expectation that your condition may improve?

I'm sure the wiser posters will be along soon with some Advice too.

Hi there.

The current wait time for getting to an ATOS medical is between 36-44 weeks so I don't see you getting it any time soon Sad to say the Medical assessment itself is a farce anyway IMHO the best you can do is phone ESA/Atos once a week every week to try and move things along.

As one ATOS call center adviser told me He who shouts loudest gets heard meaning phone once a week not scream down the phone :)

As to getting longer sick notes Only your GP can do that for you have a word with your Doctor to see if they can be extended though your Doctor may only be issuing you 1 month at a time as there is an expectation that your condition may improve?

I'm sure the wiser posters will be along soon with some Advice too.

Not much to add to this, really. The original idea was that assessments would take place within 13 weeks, but that hasn't been the case in practice for years. The precise wait time will depend on which benefit centre and Atos office is dealing with the claim, but it will pretty much always be longer than 13 weeks.

And yes, the DWP and Atos can't insist that the GP writes longer sick notes. Perhaps explain to him or her what the issue is and see if they'd be prepared to help.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Either my area is an oddity or people are jumping to conclusions, this is clearly area dependent, and the longest I have had to wait for a non recorded medical appointment following an ESA50 is 5 weeks.

A lady who blogs and is in my city only had to wait 3 days. That was so quick they probably booked her appointment before the ESA50 got back.

Either my area is an oddity or people are jumping to conclusions, this is clearly area dependent, and the longest I have had to wait for a non recorded medical appointment following an ESA50 is 5 weeks.

A lady who blogs and is in my city only had to wait 3 days. That was so quick they probably booked her appointment before the ESA50 got back.

I think your area is unusual, but also, we don't yet know if the OP has received an ESA50. That's relevant information in terms of how long the wait time might be.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

I've been on ESA for around 15 weeks now and iv still not got a medical to go to. Should i be expecting a letter from the company who deal with these medicals.

Also It says after 13 weeks you get placed into a group and the money increases, when does this happen as its not happened yet.

My doctor only seems to give me 4 week sick notes and its very stressful having to get on a wednesday and sending them hoping they arrive before the following friday, My previous sick note didn't arrive and i got very stressful and had to wait for some department to call my local GP, Can i get these changed to a more longer frequency.

Thanks

Sorry to hear of your predicament, but ATOS are a law unto themselves as regards appointments. Depending on where you live in the country, some appointments come up fairly quickly, while others take ages. It does seem strange that your doctor is only issuing you with monthly sick notes, my doctor happily gave me thirteen week ones. Perhaps things have changed in this regard, it might be worth having a word with your GP about this. On a positive note, at least you will get your money backdated if your assessment is successful.

I've never actually asked for the doctor to extend my sick line, I have anxiety and i take rejection to heart always have done, Mainly the reason i cant work because im terrified of job interviews etc and getting rejected.

I'll have a word because its starting to stress me out having to get these sick notes ever 4 weeks,

also im in Scotland.

I think your area is unusual, but also, we don't yet know if the OP has received an ESA50. That's relevant information in terms of how long the wait time might be.

I accept that, I just find it shocking there is such a huge disparity

remember my non attendance case? I sent back my ESA50 late dec, and the missed WCA was early jan, that's how quick my area is and that was over the Christmas period with a week holiday in there.

They so quick in my area, that missed WCA they failed to meet the legal requirements of allowing me the appropriate notice.

• 1 month later...

Got my atos medical next week. what should i expect. Will they have the form i sent back telling them what is wrong with me i forget the name of it.

My problems are mostly mental, the only real physical problem i have is asthma. Is it harder to pass answering to mental health issues.

Also will they refund my taxi fair, I have anxiety and i cant get on buses in a place i have never been before?

As far as I know all papers etc relevant to your case will be available.

You are also entitled to have someone go with you, a friend or a relative. I would suggest you do that.

A neighbour of mine had several such appointments and they paid for a taxi to take him, public transport being difficult for him and the distance being over 30 miles.

He told me the taxi cost £90

PS: The taxi business was sorted and arranged at the same time as the appointment was arranged, not sure how that leaves you. Perhaps your own doctor or the hospital could advise.

Also forgot to add. Do i need to take my actual medication or just the boxes. I did ask my NHS doctor and she said i only need to take boxes.

Also I would prefer someone to come with me but it's at 9:15am on a wednesday. so i cant get anyone. I dont mind getting the train. but i would prefer getting a taxi from the train station to the medical centre.

In the booklet that came with your appointment, it tells you how you can record your appointment as long as you let ATOS know in advance.

If you have mental health issues & no-one to attend with you then I would recommend this.

Stigman

NEVER telephone a DCA

If a DCA rings you, refuse to go through the security questions & hang up!

If I have helped you, click on the star & say thank you

If you intend to be away from home for some time and you need the medication during that time I am surprised that your doctor was so casual about you taking your medication.

Not sure why she should say you need to take boxes. I'm sure that anything they intend to give you will already be boxed or packaged somehow.

ATOS and medical issues are not my strong suit, might be better to wait for advice on actual procedures from someone more knowledgeable in those things

If you intend to be away from home for some time and you need the medication during that time I am surprised that your doctor was so casual about you taking your medication.

Not sure why she should say you need to take boxes. I'm sure that anything they intend to give you will already be boxed or packaged somehow.

ATOS and medical issues are not my strong suit, might be better to wait for advice on actual procedures from someone more knowledgeable in those things

Well my doctor gives me lustral. I use to get citalopram but had no effect on me.

I was on a 50mg lustral also with no effect. I am now moved to 100mg of lustral daily. But i take these in the morning. So I dont see the real need in taking boxes of medication. I dont want to be walking about with antidepressants in my pocket, plus 2 inhaler :p

As I’ve said, I am not qualified to comment on your medical issues or the medication that your doctor has prescribed.

You say that you don’t need the medication for the rest of the day if you take it in the morning before you go. Both the doctor and your good self seem to be agreed that you should leave the medication at home and I have to say that I see no reason to disagree with the decision you have both taken.

Perhaps it could clear up your other question about taking boxes if you asked your doctor why she thinks they will be necessary. I’m sure you would not want to be walking round with a load of boxes unless it was really necessary.

I responded to your post when I noticed that nobody else had for a while and I thought it might help if I would answer the bits that I could. My neighbour, the one I mentioned earlier, did have experience with ATOS and I know that in his case there were reams of medical information going into great detail about treatment, medication, the lot, and the ATOS people had it all. Also knew that his fares were paid. I cannot recollect anyone ever mentioning boxes, and the times I saw him going and/or coming back I never saw a single box.

You don't need to bring the actual medications with you to the assessment. A note of the names and dosages should be sufficient, and one way to do that would be to take the boxes. Or just write the information down on a piece of paper and take that with you. You should not be expected to prove that you are telling the truth on this matter - you are entitled to be believed unless what you are saying is inconsistent or inherently improbable. (Side note: I wish more DWP and Atos staff would remember this basic principle from their training.)

With regard to expenses, the best bet would be to discuss the matter with Atos in advance of your appointment. They should cover reasonable travel costs - I cannot say whether a taxi would be seen as reasonable in your particular situation.