British Gas forced entry & fitted PP meter for prev tenants debt!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3843 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Formal complaints have been sent, they have lumped them all together. The initial complaint i made, 1 day after the installation of the PPM.

I have asked for updates and as yet nothing.

Il try that Citizen B , thank you

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you make it into the papers?

I have heard nothing from anyone as yet. Im trying to find a pro bono solicitor to act of my behalf.

I have sent a SAR to BG, so the clock is ticking. We are trying to find another property, son wont stay in the flat full stop, he has been damaged by BG`s actions and their subsequent mismanagement.

I have had a few chats with the chap from BG and while he is nice enough, they are still trying to turn the tables on me by a pedantic attention to grammar and exactly what was said. Their POV trying to tell me i misunderstood....

My reply to that was, using my old profession as a example: they said i asked for PPM to be removed, therefore it was. I did not ask for an exchange, so did not get one. If they ran into me in my line of work and asked me to remove a foreign object from their bodies, would they expect to be sutured up afterwards? Of course they would, but by their reasoning, the object would be removed and a gaping wound left open, would they be happy with that?

Its like saying "call me" i can call them and say nothing but im sure they would expect me to speak. You don't say Call me and make sure you talk!

A Judge does not say I fine you £180 but make sure you pay in pounds and pence. I sentence you to 15 years, the assumption being prison, not 15 years in the Bahamas.

See how silly this is!!! This is the level they have reduced it all to.

They have no legit argument, that's why.

And each desperate attempt just gives me more ammo....i cannot wait to get this SAR back. Its the reason i have deliberately not referred to specific calls on certain days and those that are logged and some recorded, will be matched with the details in the SAR. I dont wish to give them a heads up exactly what i have, unfortunate admin errors occur that way.

If i cannot find a legal to help, il go the Litigant in Person route. The LBA is ready and waiting.

• Confused 1

Glad you've got the RSPCA involved Crotalus, and hope now the bank holiday is out of the way you're able to get the press involved.

Even if you aren't based in London it may well be worth contacting the radio station LBC 97.3 FM . They aren't just heard in London, but all over the UK both online and on DAB etc.

Try Nick Ferrari (7-10am weekdays) and Iain Dale (4-8pm weekdays) by going to the LBC website and clicking on Shows followed by Presenters and then each of their names for their contact details.

Both their shows get a lot of listeners and they may well be able to force BG to take part and both justify and make amends for its actions!

The other thought is Paul Lewis at BBC Radio 4's Money Box programme - the contact details are on the Money Box page at the BBC R4 website. He often appears on TV alerting people to items on the programme, and again would be able to get BG to take part or make a statement.

Hi Crotalus, what I have read so far about BG is disgusting.

When it comes to compensation don't forget to tot up all the hours of your life that they have wasted plus your family's and put your own price on... say £100 - £200 per hour, if they should try to refuse to this pay this sum, ask them to give you back those hours... obviously they cannot, so add the sum to any other compensation claim.

Why do I submit this, because they (BG) cost me hours of time and after mentioning this and getting 'but we cannot give you those hours back' from them, I successfully was compensated without having to take them to court.

With your case though, I think they deserve far more than what they got from me, so good luck!

Starfury.

P.s as regards asking for this type of compensation I believe a precedent has now been set in a court of law recently!

Edited by Starfury
Apologies... I forgot to use spool chock

One word. Watchdog. They would LOVE something like this on their show, especially since this isnt the only occurance of them doing this.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Crotalus is a genus of pit viper, known as rattlesnakes. Rattlers are pretty much ambush preditors, they can lay still for hours while a mouse or pray item walks all over them, till the snake has had enough and bites them in the ass. BG is that ass.

I hope the rattler is going to bite a ruddy big rat! This is an incredibly horrific story. The only way to teach em is hit them in the pocket, the only thing they understand. Please don't give up.

At least one of the guests was me sorry. I didn't realise I wasn't logged in

Rughead121

Easy as 3.14159265358979323846

Hi Crotalus,

This is one of the worst tales of bullying and despicable behaviour I have ever read. Truly appalling.

I send [[big hugs]] all round to you and your family, that's all I can do to help at this point.

Sue them until they glow ...

Wishing you plenty of power in your elbow. I'm sure you'll find pro bono, 'tis a piece of cake surely?

I will provide some publicity where I can. FB for sure.

tch tch tch [shakes head] [rolls eyes]

XX

"Do just once what others say you cannot do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." - Arthur C. Clarke.

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path." - Psalms 119:105

I've read this entire thread tonight. I refuse to use BG myself after having horrendous experiences with them, in a similar vein to yours (they threatened to cut me off unless I paid the previous tenants bill, because I didn't think to get a meter reading from the multiple-occupancy property in which I was renting a room... I now know that wasn't my responsibility but at the time they used it as a means to get me to pay over £300 which clearly wasn't mine).

I just wanted to say, please keep strong, and please don't let BG get away with this. I remember feeling angry about the lady and her small dog which was subdued, causing pain and stress to animals is bad enough but to do it to another human is outrageous. I now feel something more akin to rage, I will take several deep breaths right now... *takes several deep breaths*

Ok I still feel really angry for you. I'm a bit of a pauper so cannot help financially but am going to share your story on my facebook page, least I can do.

Wishing you a speedy resolution and a big, fat compensatory payout. :)

I've read this entire thread tonight. I refuse to use BG myself after having horrendous experiences with them, in a similar vein to yours (they threatened to cut me off unless I paid the previous tenants bill, because I didn't think to get a meter reading from the multiple-occupancy property in which I was renting a room... I now know that wasn't my responsibility but at the time they used it as a means to get me to pay over £300 which clearly wasn't mine).

I just wanted to say, please keep strong, and please don't let BG get away with this. I remember feeling angry about the lady and her small dog which was subdued, causing pain and stress to animals is bad enough but to do it to another human is outrageous. I now feel something more akin to rage, I will take several deep breaths right now... *takes several deep breaths*

Ok I still feel really angry for you. I'm a bit of a pauper so cannot help financially but am going to share your story on my facebook page, least I can do.

Wishing you a speedy resolution and a big, fat compensatory payout. :)

about time you got the money back then, get onto the energy ombudsman

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi There,

I used to work for British Gas and this is a classic case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing. This will have been dealt with by the debt management team and the re-connections team. These teams may not even be in the same building or town.

It seems clear that the main issue has not been addressed and they have continually neglected to read the issues pertaining to the case/complaint. You will probably deal with a different person EVERY TIME you call and that is useless for consistency when dealing with complex issues. This is NOW a complex issue because BG have made it that way. It was simple when you first got the flat, but constant incompetence and incorrect actions have caused this to escalate to the point it never should have reached. In my experience new customers were never held responsible for a previous tenants debts. If there was any action, it would be with the landlord. Has the landlord acted correctly with the supplier?, as it should really have been you doing this rather than a representative. If the landlord got into an argument with the BG rep, this may be where the angst first started, as BG appear to be treating you as a "troublesome" customer.

Like all call centres the operatives will be timed on a call, so will want to get rid of you ASAP in order to keep their call time down, otherwise they are disciplined if they overrun.

The energy providers are NOT allowed to cut anyone off who have small children, nor if there are vulnerable people on site. BG should never have taken the meter.

I would do the following;

1/ Write to British Gas and request under the Freedom of Information Act 2000, all the information pertaining to this issue at the flat's address. You need to request ALL written documentation and recorded phone calls. When you have it you will be able to prove that you never asked for the meter to be removed proving that BG lied in this respect.

2/ When you have the information you can contact a solicitor about taking legal action for illegal entry to your property and damage plus what is known as hurt feelings. They will work on a no win no fee basis, but you should have a very strong case and you only need to present enough evidence to persuade the judge that you were right on the balance of probabilities, rather than the criminal burden which is beyond reasonable doubt. This might be the best having read your thread.

3/ You can do this yourself through the small claims court, justice.gov.uk. This will cost you to bring a case but you will then get it back once you have won. I feel you are better with a solicitor, knowing your circumstances.

4/ You should also complain to OFGEM the energy regulator and provide copies of the information you get from BG.

5/ I would also complain to the Police for the criminal damage, as companies can be brought to court for criminal acts. If the police blag you, refer this to the solicitor and he can complain to the police regulator and the Chief constable for the area.

6/ After all this send all the info to your MP and tell them that you and others need the protection of the State from Corporate Bullies like this.

H

It may be a long haul to get a final result, but I hope everything turns out okay for you.

Edited by Trevor1961
Addition explanations on why it's now a complex issue.

Hey Crotalus. The Sun sometimes have Jeremy Kyle as a guest columnist. I think he has an email address with them. Perhaps that would be a good one to send the story to?

Edited by The Evil Bus Driver

"Join our Campaign for Change and help drive the industry forward." ~ Rossendales

Yeah I'll help you drive the industry forward. Forward off Beachy Head! ~ Me

Hi everyone, thank you for all the support. So far this is where we are at. Son still refuses to return home, this is evidence with no gas or electric consumption in the weeks since the meter was replaced.

I have spoken with the chap from Sam Laidlaws office a few times and there is an investigation going off.

A SAR has been sent. However, my landlady got a letter from LCS Utility Investigation asking for detail again that have already been provided to BG, such as current tenants name ( how strange) my landladys private home details ect..... seems to me that BG are fishing for any info that would justify or help justify their actions, which is only peeing me off even more.

We will see, i will update as soon as i know anything else.

You have to wonder if BG is making a genuine attempt to resolve matters. I'm sure if it were it would act immediately to cease third party comms with your L/L, not only does it present the l/l with additional costs it has the potential to breach the dpa if she were to respond with your personal data

Hey Crotalus. The Sun sometimes have Jeremy Kyle as a guest columnist. I think he has an email address with them. Perhaps that would be a good one to send the story to?

Why would the english version of Jerry Springer care?

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Because he has a guest column in The Sun and needs the print inches. Either that or as someone posted before, Richard Littlejohn would probably go for something like this. Another idea is the Jeremy Vine show on Radio 2 as he has some good debates.

"Join our Campaign for Change and help drive the industry forward." ~ Rossendales

Because he has a guest column in The Sun and needs the print inches. Either that or as someone posted before, Richard Littlejohn would probably go for something like this. Another idea is the Jeremy Vine show on Radio 2 as he has some good debates.

Youd need to go somewhere like watchdog or have the Daily mail ( yeah i know), do a story on it.

Youd need to go somewhere like watchdog or have the Daily mail ( yeah i know), do a story on it.

Yeah maybe. I'm just thinking aloud really (or is it in print?) to see how wide this can be exposed.