New phone charger burst into flames and damaged my bedroom

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2692 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Failing that, as already said, get the bedroom done on credit and then Microsoft or carphone warehouse will reimburse you.

Also, put the Xmas decorations up, kids don't really care about grown up things, all they want is Xmas.

If you can't redecorate before Xmas, lock that door, forget about it and deal with it at new year.

C

[email protected]

Reply|

Today, 14:01

You

Photos

Dear Mr Parry,

Thank you for your recent emails. I can confirm that we have been liasing with Microsoft directly to obtain further information, however due to Data Protection they are unable to provide specific information. They also confirmed that they are in direct contact with yourself to resolve this issue.

As we don’t have the handset to review or an incident report from Microsoft, we are unable to comment on any investigations done, meaning at this stage we are unable to support further. Unless you can provide either of the two.

I appreciate this is frustrating for you, however we can only advise you to take this further with Microsoft as you have now allowed them to investigate the issue on your behalf.

If there is any further information you need from Dixons Carphone, please don’t hesitate in contacting me directly.

Kind regards,

CEO Team

C

[email protected]

Reply|

Today, 14:01

You

Photos

Dear Mr Parry,

Thank you for your recent emails. I can confirm that we have been liasing with Microsoft directly to obtain further information, however due to Data Protection they are unable to provide specific information. They also confirmed that they are in direct contact with yourself to resolve this issue.

As we don’t have the handset to review or an incident report from Microsoft, we are unable to comment on any investigations done, meaning at this stage we are unable to support further. Unless you can provide either of the two.

I appreciate this is frustrating for you, however we can only advise you to take this further with Microsoft as you have now allowed them to investigate the issue on your behalf.

If there is any further information you need from Dixons Carphone, please don’t hesitate in contacting me directly.

Kind regards,

CEO Team

Whose data do they believe is protected under Data Protection?. If it is yours ; consent to its release.

I'd be approaching a solicitor to act for you, under a contingent fee arrangement (CFA), and get a letter before claim sent to CPW, followed 14 days later by the claim.

They are just passing the buck at the moment.

Once the claim is issued, ask them to consider an interim payment.

we seem to be going to court dont have no cash for solicitors

Which is why I suggested:

I'd be approaching a solicitor to act for you, under a contingent fee arrangement (CFA),

Contingent fee arrangement (CFA), commonly (but not quite correctly) known as "no win, no fee".

It is only advice, and you don't have to take it, but I'd answered your question of "can't afford a solicitor" already!

If you go down the court route, you have to think about timescales.

Say 2 weeks for letter before action response.

You then issue court claim which might be defended.

Could be February or March at the earliest before you see any money.

Think you might get a quicker resolution following the Microsoft process. If you took CW to court, no doubt they will say that you are already in touch with Microsoft about the claim and they have not had any chance to review the claim being made.

As i have mentioned before social media and other media coverage will often get a better response.

Set up a Twitter account and start sending fire damage pictures out to relevant sites. Look at any product review sites and mention the problem.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

SRX1364411441ID - Nokia 130 Charger Issue

MS

Microsoft Customer Support

Reply|

Yesterday, 21:12

You

365920930-0-Confidential Document - Microsoft Ltd and x x Parry.pdf

170 KB

Download Save to OneDrive - Personal

Service Request 1364411441

Dear Mr Parry,

Without Prejudice

Thank you for your email and taking the time to discuss matters yesterday. I am pleased that we have managed to reached a conclusion to the incident. I write to confirm the agreement between you and Microsoft Limited to settle your claim in full and final settlement for £3000.00. We agreed that as a condition of settlement Microsoft would retain the charger and that you would sign a settlement agreement. We have also included a condition in the settlement agreement that we will also retain the power adaptor and Apple charger so that we can test them too as part of our investigation. Further, as part of our investigation, we would like to recover the full and unrestricted Humberside Fire & Rescue Service Fire Investigation Report. A condition of the settlement will be that you contact Humberside Fire & Rescue Service and authorise the release of the full Fire Investigation Report to Microsoft Ltd. We are unable to make any further goodwill gesture beyond the £3000 offered in the agreement.

Please find attached a copy of the settlement agreement. As I advised on the call, I would recommend that you seek legal advice in relation to the terms of the settlement agreement before you sign the agreement. If you are content with the terms and conditions of the settlement agreement then please sign and email the settlement agreement back to me by 5pm on Monday 19th December, thereafter we reserve the right to withdraw the offer.

As soon as we receive a signed copy of the agreement from you, we will arrange signature by Microsoft and send you a copy for your records and we will arrange the payment by bank transfer. We would be grateful if you would provide us with your bank account details by return to avoid any delay in payment.

If you have any questions in the meantime then please do not hesitate to contact me.

Edited by honeybee13
First names removed.

The £3000 will cover the bedroom refurbishment fully, so I would accept it.

To be honest, £3000 for redecorating a bedroom is very steep, so I would take quotes from local decorators.

My thinking is as follow:

Repaint all walls and ceiling (2coats and prep) = £600 max using trade paint.

Replace carpet 3mx3m = £400 max using good quality carpet and underlay

New door fitted and painted = £200 (using a £50 door)

New skirting fitted and painted= £200 (unless used expensive 8 inches Victorian skirting)

This takes the total to £1400 and includes new door and skirting which you probably don't need.

Wanna add a new double glazed window?

That's £400 max fully fitted (I suppose you don't have a French door in the bedroom.

This would make it £1800.

The £3000 offered will cover for a fully refurbished bedroom and a nice compo for your trouble.

Mind you, I have exceeded the prices, surely a local decorator would charge less.

You don't have to use McAlister construction to redecorate a bedroom(just to name one of the singing and dancing building companies).

They spend a lot of money on adverts, courses, uniforms, head office, different departments, etc and they pass the cost to customers.

I have unapproved the proposed settlement agreement sweets as it is confidential.Site Team only can see the agreement.

Regards

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Yes it has been reported already for Site Team input.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

I think the main question here for you is whether the £3000 is enough. What is the total cost of repairs, cost of new charger or other equipment destroyed in the fire – and also compensation for the terrible inconvenience that you and your family have been put to.

Secondly, this agreement attempts to prevent you from providing any assistance to anyone else in the future who might suffer from the same kind of defect in a Microsoft charger and which similarly inconveniences them or their family or even causes personal injury.

Thirdly, in principle you are even prevented from communicating the problem with this charger to Trading Standards

My own view is that their confidentiality clause would not operate to prevent you from giving information about your own incident to somebody else who suffered loss or even personal injury in a fire caused by one of these Microsoft charges.

Also, I think that the confidentiality clause is unenforceable in respect of preventing you from giving information about this charger to Trading Standards. I think the confidentiality clause would not stand where there is a good public interest in making certain disclosures – in a responsible way.

Frankly, in order to help others who might be affected – even to the point of suffering personal injury or death to families or the children of families, I would consider that I had a duty to let Trading Standards know.

Anyway if you argue the toss on this for the moment then you wouldn't get the money. As I have said, the big question is whether this covers everything. It may be that you need the money but don't forget that this is simply an opening position from Microsoft. They've got heaps of money and if you consider that you have suffered more than the loss of £3000 when everything is taken into consideration, then now is the time to reject the letter and say that it's not enough.

Let us know here before you say anything back to them.

Incidentally, – a big mistake letting them have the charger. You didn't do yourself any favours here. You should withhold it and you should have insisted that it be examined independently at Microsoft's expense.

estimates we have had to put the bedroom back to normal as previous before the fire was £3,000.so they are offering me the cost of putting right the damage. the phone and charger is not going to be replaced. no futher gestures of goodwill from microsoft. i find there tone of the letter rather upsetting indeed.i dont know what else i would get would the court consider this offer from microsoft a reasonable offer . what else could i hold out for.yes rather stupid to let them have the charger but i can have it back.arrangements are in place to return it if i decline this.im not sure what i could do or what i have the energy to do.we feel rather drained indeed by this matter.be intrested on your take in going forward here many thanks

I'm not surprised that you find the tone of their letter upsetting. However, this is a kind of strident dominating approach that you would expect from professionals who are dealing with ordinary people. They are trying to show some muscle and also they want you to feel that there is no hope other than the offer that they have put on the table.

Please could you lay out briefly and in bullet pointed form, all of the losses that you have experienced here – and then a brief paragraph including dates of how this has affected you and your family since the beginning.

I know that it is laid out in various places on this thread, but frankly it would be helpful if you would just put it all down in one place so that I can understand easily.

estimates we have had to put the bedroom back to normal as previous before the fire was £3,000.so they are offering me the cost of putting right the damage. the phone and charger is not going to be replaced. no futher gestures of goodwill from microsoft. i find there tone of the letter rather upsetting indeed.i dont know what else i would get would the court consider this offer from microsoft a reasonable offer . what else could i hold out for.yes rather stupid to let them have the charger but i can have it back.arrangements are in place to return it if i decline this.im not sure what i could do or what i have the energy to do.we feel rather drained indeed by this matter.be intrested on your take in going forward here many thanks

As I pointed out, £3000 is waaaay too much to redecorate a bedroom.

Call a local decorator from checkatrade or even better, someone recommended by your relatives/friends.

As I pointed out, £3000 is waaaay too much to redecorate a bedroom.

Call a local decorator from checkatrade or even better, someone recommended by your relatives/friends.

Sorry, but this does not at all address all of the issues.

I think it does.

If the redecoration costs £1000 and the op would end up with £2000 compo for her trouble, it does matter because it could change her mind.

the OP has been through this and has come up with a figure of £3000 to put things back to normal. The whole business is clearly not his fault and I don't see any reason why he should sneak around, take the £3000 and then try to get a substandard job in order to put a couple of grand in his pocket. Of course, if the job for £1000 is to a high standard then that's a different matter. But you have to assume that the OP knows what the damage is and has taken care to get a decent price for a decent quality job.

The fact that the OP's family has also been seriously compromised and there is certainly no way that the whole mess is going to be sorted out and that they will be back living normally before the end of January should also be taken into consideration. You don't seem to be taking any account of that.

I don't think you have addressed these issues and frankly it seems to me that your approach is simply to make a money grab.

It's up to the OP. Obviously, if he took the three grand then he would get the business over with more quickly – but it still won't be all fixed up before January.

I think that it is for the OP to value the cost of making good the damage to his home and compensating for the very difficult circumstances in which he and his family have found himself for quite a long period of time and will continue to do so.

Those are the issues which you haven't addressed

the OP has been through this and has come up with a figure of £3000 but things back to normal. The whole business is clearly not his fault and I don't see any reason why he should sneak around, take the £3000 and then try to get a substandard job in order to put a couple of grand in his pocket. Of course, if the job for £1000 is to a high standard then that's a different matter. But you have to assume that the OP knows what the damage is and has taken care to get a decent price for a decent quality job.

The fact that the OP's family has also been seriously compromised and there is certainly no way that the whole much is going to be sorted out and that they will be back living normally before the end of January should also be taken into consideration. You don't seem to be taking any account of that.

I don't think you have addressed these issues and frankly it seems to me that your approach is simply to make a money grab.

It's up to the OP. Obviously, if you took the three grand then he would get the business over with more quickly – but it still won't be all fixed up before January.

I think that it is for the OP to value the cost of making good the damage to his home and compensating for the very difficult circumstances in which he and his family have found himself for quite a long period of time and will continue to do so.

Those are the issues which you haven't addressed

I have been involved in the building trade all my life and I've never seen a bedroom being decorated for £3000.

I broke down prices in excess in my previous post.

As said, you don't need to get a super company to redecorate, we're not talking about constructing a whole building.

Based on my educated and realistic prices the op would end up with a decent compensation which repays for the trouble.

Then it doesn't take a month to redecorate a bedroom, but max 5 days if everything is organised properly.

With a bit of luck and effort to start ringing local tradesman on Monday morning, the op could end up with a finished bedroom before Christmas.