Anyvan booked (and pre paid) for a removal - turned up and demanded more money. Now lost everything on the inventory.

Bellski
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 117 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good Afternoon everyone,

My elderly mother was struggling to maintain her house and garden as she is getting older.  I live 2 hours away and do what I can when I can get down on weekends I am off, but we decided it was probably best for her to sell up and move closer.

Various delays happened once she had sold it and purchased her new place, it ended up that once the exchange was done, we had to be out by the 26th.  It gave us less than 2 weeks to be out of her old place (the 26th December), so we jumped into action trying to find a removal firm who would do long distance at short notice before Christmas.

Anyvan were booked by my mother.  Before accepting the job, they asked for photos of everything that they were taking.   They would not be taking the sofa or Oven.   The heaviest thing would have been the washing machine, fridge freezer and fridge.  The bedroom units all come apart very easy, but they are too bulky for my car.   

They accepted the job based on these pictures, and a date of 23rd was arranged and the price of £1085 was paid up front.

A further phone call was made 2 days prior to add some minor items onto the job  (a ladder and some boxes) - we were told this would be free of charge. They then went over he whole inventory over he call, no issues wee raised by themselves.

On the 23rd, they arrived in a very small van.  No way would this have taken everything, it was smaller than a transit.  The two guys then began to look around and started saying they couldn't take the wardrobes as they were double (they are not double, they just have 2 doors) and they were paid to take single.  They then said they wouldn't be able to get the items out of the door in one piece, when my father and I got them in just fine, and they have always been in one piece. 

They were going over every item and giving an excuse why we needed to pay more money.   They then got the office to call my mother.  They demanded another £1000 to complete the job.  She did not have this kind of money and they did this on the 23rd when there was no chance to arrange anything else.  My mother asked them on the phone for her money back so we could try somewhere else, the agent on the phone said she would not be getting a refund.

I ended up having to rent a transit, as this was all that as available at short notice before Christmas.  I also had to pay an inflated price for it.  I moved as much as I physically could, but pretty much all of the inventory was lost.

I want to get her a refund plus compensation for this. They accepted a job, took payment for it, and did zero work, and it's now going to cost a small fortune to replace everything.   Even stupid things like all the food from the freezer - all gone.  She literally just has what I could fit in the van and lift by myself.  

They can't get away with this - not only has she lost a LOT of stuff now, but the ongoing stress from it all.  It's not on.  2 days before Christmas, they know what they are doing.  

Any suggestions where to start on this one?

It sounds like an awful story – but I don't understand how the things were lost.

He sent almost the entire inventory was lost. Does this mean that they put it in the van and then it was never delivered?

Your story is really very vague in that respect.

Where is this company anyvan? Where are you based?

Hi,

Sorry, it's still a bit raw.

Lost as in we could not get the items out in time before we had to pass the keys over. 

We had to leave them in the house.

We didn't have the extra money to pay them and no way to get that late in he afternoon on 23rd December. 

They just left without taking anything. 

Anyvan seem to be national. 

We moved mum from Bucks to Poole

WWW.ANYVAN.COM

Save up to 75% on Delivery, Removals and Courier Services. Find the best customer rated Delivery Companies and they bid to do your job - AnyVan.com

Edited by dx100uk
unnecessary previous post quote removed

right so really not alot to do with anyvan then?

you left the stuff in the house.

have you enquired to the present occupier if they know where your stuff went and who and upon who's authority it was disposed of?

dx

• I agree 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

In addition to getting the information from the present occupier? Are you out of pocket in respect of any van? If so how much

they accepted the job based on photos of the items to take and took a pre payment

Then when they turned up the wanted more money and then when we couldn't afford it at that exact moment, left without taking anything.  Wouldn't even give a refund. They broke their contract

The new owners are a group that buy houses and refurb and sell.  

On 28/12/2023 at 15:51, BankFodder said:

In addition to getting the information from the present occupier? Are you out of pocket in respect of any van? If so how much

yes, they took £1080 for the job and didn't do anything other than turn up in a small van and ask for more money to take the stuff that was agreed with photo's on their contract. 

Edited by dx100uk

How did you pay them? Did you pay by cash or did you pay by bank transfer

Start off by contacting your bank for a chargeback.

Do it straightaway

Contact the present occupier for information.

Produce an inventory of lost items with values.  Post it here

• Like 1

Read our customer services guide before contacting your bank

Now start the charge back process and contact the present occupiers

1 hour ago, Bellski said:

yes, they took £1080

😱

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thank you,

My mum called the bank (Barclays) and explained. 

The lady on the other end said we need to write an email to their customer service and demand our money back,  If no reply, or not a satisfactory response within 14 days, they will then start the chargeback process. 

Mum explained we have called them a few times and just been fobbed off, but she insisted this needs to be in writing. 

I guess now I draft up a strongly worded email.

The Open Property group (who purchased my mums place) offices closed by the time we were done with the bank. 

I will try those guys again tomorrow during office hours. 

Edited by dx100uk

I'm not sure that's how a chargeback works. I have an idea that it should be on demand

@dx100uk

In terms of access to the property, don't you have a spare key or anything? Are you able to look through the windows and see if your property is still in there?

Yes, I do still have my key, however, we had to vacate the property by the 26th. 

As OPG now officially own it, I would probably be breaking and entering if I was to just walk in. 

It's a good 4 hour round trip by car, but i could maybe get a friend to check it?

Edited by dx100uk

In order to commit an offence you must be acting dishonestly.

Clearly there would be no dishonesty here.

I would suggest that you take whatever steps necessary to get around to the property and to remove your belongings without damaging anything.

Of course it would be better to let the new owners know that your property is still in there and I certainly wouldn't let them know that you have a key and you're going around to pick your stuff up.

Maybe you need to contact your friend to see if your goods are still in there.

Phone the new owners and alert them that you still need to pick the items up and tell them what has happened.

If they are decent they will simply co-operate.

Let us know if they cause any problems but if you have a key and they sound reluctant then frankly I would get around there with a van and move everything out but without damaging anything at all. Best to take a witness with you

If there are any difficulties then you should be aware but once the new owners are on notice that your property is still in the house then they have a duty to look after it and not damage it in any way and frankly they probably have a duty to make it available to you.

• Like 1

Thank you for the reply.  We will contact them when they are there in the morning., 

For tonight, I will worry about getting an email across to the Anyvan customer services in order to satisfy the bank.  I know the CS team will just ignore or outright refuse any kind of refund, but at least the bank will see we've tried. 

in relation to 16/17 barclays are right.

CB is not on demand.

You will need to go to your barclays app and follow the disputes page there, and then go from there. You can also wait 14 days then call, its up to you if you prefer to call or do through app but both will have the 14 days.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you today?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

thats barclays own  rules. probably from the phone jockeys screen. 99% of banks have little idea how CB or sec 75 actually works.

there nothing in the chargeback rules that state that it is not instantaneous.

thats why there is a 30 day window for the otherside to object that its been done.

dx

• Like 1

and they

It really would be helpful if you could simply give a summary please

Sorry

1) If we read the terms and conditions, no refunds would be given

2) They said the wardrobes were double just because they have 2 doors (they are less than 3 feet wide).  And would have to be dismantled (they literally lift and clip together, takes 20 seconds)

3) A box (that was on the list for them to take with all the kitchen stuff) was in the way of the washing machine, so they couldn't take the washing machine.  

4) They refused to acknowledge that the job was based on photos as well as listing the items.  He kept referring to his list and refusing to acknowledge that someone had to look at our photos and price the job up. 

4) None of this would have mattered though if we had paid more, they would have did all of this but as it is, no refunds will be given. 

Edit - oh and the cheeky sod asked us if we wanted to reschedule!

Edited by Bellski

Thank you. And have you found out whether the items are still in the house?

And also I thought that you were meant to get a refusal by them to refund you in writing