Anyvan booked (and pre paid) for a removal - turned up and demanded more money. Now lost everything on the inventory.

Bellski
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 117 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We were trying to get it in writing. 

They called out of the blue. 

There is no email address on the Anyvan contact us page. 

i just filled out the webform and they called back just now

In regards to our stuff, we have tried to called OPG and my mother has called the agent she was dealing with, but no response as of yet.

My friend did a walk by and said there is a skip in the garden with some things outside.  Not sure exactly what there is yet, but he said not much.  Will find out more later.

Edited by dx100uk
unnecessary previous post quote removed

Surely your friend would have thought to get a photograph of the contents of the skip?

It seems to be that you had better get around there

Have you sent any kind of written message to the new owners yet?

Maybe you can post up the contents of the text here so we can get an idea and what you have said.

When did you send the text?

You don't seem to have commented on my remark about getting a photograph

Yes I will be getting a photo, he was just passing by the place at the time so didn't stop. He will go back after work. 

The text explains that we are sorry all of the furniture we promised would be removed has been left but we were let down at the last moment, and if they would allow us back onto the property to arrange a pickup.   

Voicemail said the same thing.

Edit - text was sent first thing this morning, and we tried to call after lunch

They could well be off for Christmas? 

mum just got back off the phone with the bank.

Explained to the guy that the phone call we had flat out refused the refund based on their T&C

He really did go through everything on their T&C's over the phone with us - NOTHING says that if they turn up and refuse a job, that we can't get a refund! Only if we were to cancel within 24 hours of the job, or if they can't gain access to the house due to you being not there. 

He was more than happy to put the chargeback through!  

Just now a waiting game for that. 

Edited by Bellski
  • Like 1

:cheer2:

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

We aren't interested in the terms and conditions. Terms and conditions have to be fair and clearly the situation here is not all fair. According to you they performed none of the contract at all so if there was any breach by you then they would only be entitled to recover their administrative expenses and certainly not a Grand.

Start getting used to the idea that contractual terms and conditions are not the be all and end all. They are subject to laws relating to implied terms and also to fairness or otherwise of the contractual terms.

Have you got their registered address?

I have a slight feeling that any van is actually some kind of broker which doesn't actually do the removals themselves but in fact send contracts out to various sole traders/operators with fans.

You had better check this because it could make things complicated if you need to claim against the van people. They may not actually be any van. Were they branded? Who did you pay?

Yes, you are right, they are a broker who sub contract.  Wish I would have known this in hindsight.    

Payment was made to "ANYVAN.COM"

Not sure who the guys were (My mum and brother were there at the time. I was helping get her bungalow ready for the furniture to come in). 

My brother said they turned up in a transit (not fit for the agreed inventory) that was unbranded and were passing the phone between my mother and the Anyvan office who were saying "Pay X amount and we will get a bigger van to do the job"   

Edited by dx100uk
unnecessary previous post quote removed

You must send a written message to any vans asking them for a refund and telling them that no work was carried out. It is important that you get a written response effectively refusing the refund.

Also, you should try and find out who these fan guys were – although I expect that you will have a hard job finding them and even a harder job suing them and enforcing a judgement.

I'm sorry to say but this has been very badly handled – but I expect you know that by now

Did not post last night as was such a busy day.

One of the reps from OPG messaged back and said we could go to the house to pick up some things, but warned us "there wasn't much there"

Headed over, and the place was gutted.  Smashed glass everywhere from the stuff they'd just ripped out.  All of the furniture gone (skip was already gone by the time we arrived).   The only things left on the inventory that were still there were the washing machine and my dads vintage fruit machine.   They'd stacked up some boxes of stuff they obviously wanted to keep when they went back, such as my dads tools and work bench.   Those went straight into my car!

Ended up doing 2 trips last night to salvage whatever we could.   But only those 2 items from that entire inventory are still there.  So she's pretty much lost everything.   Can't really blame OPG as they assumed because it was left we wanted it disposed of (this is part of their service).  We did try messaging them to explain what happened, but as this was over Christmas, we didn't actually manage to get hold of anyone until yesterday morning. 

This has really made me more determined to fight Anyvan on this

Edited by Bellski

I think you are going to have a difficult job – but I think the basis of a claim against them would be that even though you might not have had a direct contract with them for the removal, you are relying on them and their expertise to put you in contact with a competent and reliable removal service and they fail to do that.
So as far as that goes, it would be a breach of contract by them and alternatively negligence in not having taken proper precautions to make sure that the services they recommended were properly vetted and quality assured.

What is the total value of lost items?

Happy New Year all,

I'd be ballparking as some of the items are things you just can't buy anymore, such as my dads fruit machine and the 70's Schreiber units they left.

I'd say between 3.5-4k 

I thought you said that the fruit machine was still there.

Whatever it is – you don't have to make a proper list with values. Be prepared to support your estimate of the value of each item with some evidence.
If you can provide photographs – so much the better.

I suggest a spreadsheet so that it all looks competent. Ballpark figures and a ballpark approach is not appropriate.

You are still going to be hard pressed to sort this out that the more methodical and "professional" you are about it, then the better your chance.