Apple ripping off people again.

Conniff
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3377 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Apple sued over 'shrinking' gadget storage

Apple is facing a lawsuit for not telling users about the amount of memory required by its flagship operating system.

The legal complaint revolves around iOS 8 and the amount of memory it reserves for itself on iPods, iPhones and iPads.

The complaint alleges that it takes up so much space that far less than advertised is left for people to store their own data.

Apple has yet to issue any official comment on the lawsuit.

Update upset

The complaint has been filed in California by Miami residents Paul Orshan and Christopher Endara who say that iOS 8 can occupy up to 23.1% of the memory available on some Apple devices.

In addition, upgrading devices from the earlier iOS 7 to 8 can cause people to lose up to 1.3 gigabytes of memory, said papers filed in support of the legal action.

The amount of memory taken up by iOS 8 can mean users run out of storage and, the pair allege, this is helping Apple force people to sign up for its fee-based iCloud storage system.

The lawsuit is seeking millions of dollars in damages for those using Apple devices facing the storage squeeze.

So far, Apple has not responded to requests for comment on the lawsuit.

The latest upgrade to iOS 8 was released in late September but Apple was forced to withdraw and then re-issue it because the first version meant a lot of iPhone 6 and Plus handsets could no longer make calls.

Apple issued a public apology over the botched update but said only 40,000 people were affected by it.

As much as I dislike Apple, this is hardly unique to them. Android handsets have exactly the same problem with the OS becoming ever larger, taking more and more storage space, meaning you get less and less compared to what is advertised.

Millions of dollars in damages? What planet are they living on?

Oh wait they're americans. Carry on.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Millions of dollars in damages? Whatcplanet are they living on?

Oh wait they're americans. Carry on.

I think the yanks lie in bed wondering how they can make big buck quickly and then come up with, accusing a member of the UK Royal Family have having sex with her. They really are the pits of this planet.

Payday lender are banned in most states so they exported their rip-off ways over to here only our government are too stupid to ban them.

I just cannot see how they can hope to win, Apple give you 5gb free cloud storage, surely they will just say that with that, you have more than 16gb storage regardless that you lose a couple gig on the software.

And do they really believe any court in the US is going to open that can of worms and put one of the most successful companies on the planet in danger of having to pay out billions to people all over the world? ha, not a chance..

All this will acheive is that the 16gb iPhone will become the 13gb iPhone..

This would have no jurisdiction in Europe the same as the European anti-trust suite against MS had no jurisdiction in the US.

All this will acheive is that the 16gb iPhone will become the 13gb iPhone..

Plus, when a advert says 16gb that is what you want, not 13.

There can be no denying that Apple are one of the biggest ripoff merchants on the planet. They build their stuff in sweatshops in China for pennies and charge hundreds of £s in the shops.

I've been in the IT business since around 1999 amd Ive never understood why people buy these type of systems. They are equal to or underpowered to many Windows based system yet retail for 2-3 x the cost.

You could build a barebones system for 1/3 the cost of a mac and throw OSx on it.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Previously Apple used proprietary hardware, which did explain some of the inflated cost, but now they just use off the shelf stuff like any other manufacturer. The internals of a Mac are no different to a PC, it's just in a shiny case and somehow that makes them radically more expensive. The only exception really could be the screen, but even that isn't worth £500-600 ontop of the price of an equivalent spec windows laptop.

Previously Apple used proprietary hardware, which did explain some of the inflated cost, but now they just use off the shelf stuff like any other manufacturer. The internals of a Mac are no different to a PC, it's just in a shiny case and somehow that makes them radically more expensive. The only exception really could be the screen, but even that isn't worth £500-600 ontop of the price of an equivalent spec windows laptop.

Why do people buy more expensive cars, electronic equipment, food? End of the day they all do the same thing. It's user preference.

There's many reasons why people purchase the products (from better build quality, support ... the list can go on).

lus, when a advert says 16gb that is what you want, not 13.

Well not going in to the technical side you're actually only getting 14.9GB to begin with so 1.9GB for the OS isn't exactly ripping people off - the same goes when you buy a new HDD or PC and notice that 500GB HDD is only showing approx 420GB with the OS installed.

Edited by invmatt

because the cars, equipment and food are usually MUCH better quality. Mac's just look good ( and thats a long stretch). SO people pay 2-3x the normal cost, just for that.

There's many reasons why people purchase the products (from better build quality, support ... the list can go on).

There is one Apple supporter around then, is that you Steve Jobs...

Hmm, this is just good old fashioned reactionary nonsense. Dear Mr. Volvo, I'm taking you to court because of the 230bhp you told me my car has its now suddenly dawned on me that some of this power is used to drive the alternator which, in turn powers the ECU which manages the engine. Alongside this there are other ancillary, transmission and heat losses and despite the fact that those operations are integral in the car's operation it means I'm not getting my full 230bhp to the road. So, because you 'made' me take it to be tuned I'm going to sue you...

Hmm, okay.

My views are my own and are not representative of any organisation. if you've found my post helpful please click on the star below.

Nothing reactionary about a claim in the US. They have claim parties, (I joke not), where they see if anyone can come up with a way to make big bucks and that usually entails taking some corporation or other to court.

In america you can sue anyone for anything.. and win. It;s not about what is write or wrong over there. It's about who has the best lawyer that can make up the best story. Thats why they have 'punitive' damages and a massive claim culture.

There is one Apple supporter around then, is that you Steve Jobs...

Whether you agree with the business ethics of Apple, Microsoft, et al or not. I think it's poor show to drag the name of someone who is deceased into your sensationalist post.

H

44 years at the pointy end of the motor trade. :eek:

GARUDALINUX.ORG

Garuda Linux comes with a variety of desktop environments like KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXQt-kwin, Wayfire, Qtile, i3wm and Sway to choose from.

Definitely something in the water!!

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

A very small percentage have bent, or should that be 'have been bent'. Most of them were done deliberately by journalists to get a moments fame on YouTube.

I have a slimline HD monitor here with a really thin bezel, i bet it would bend if i tried.

H

44 years at the pointy end of the motor trade. :eek:

GARUDALINUX.ORG

Garuda Linux comes with a variety of desktop environments like KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXQt-kwin, Wayfire, Qtile, i3wm and Sway to choose from.

The fact they can be bent shows the lack of build quality.

So if proof were ever needed that they are ripping people off, then - US technology giant Apple has reported the biggest quarterly profit ever made by a public company. - should bring it home.

And all you green people continue to buy their overpriced, made in sweatshops, goods that can't do anything different or better than other products except cost twice as much.