style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3647 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

:-DI'm just loving all the responses ........ just goes to show that we are not only articulate but erudite, eloquent, intelligent, observant and humorous!! Give yourselves a huge pat on the back! :-D

I'm beginning to think that perhaps the "unemployed" are a lot better qualified than lots of those in paid work ........ not that I'm pointing the finger at any one group or two groups in particular. :-D

Impecunious!!

Impecunious! :-D

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All this interview stuff reminds me of the classic line in " The Office" , when Brent is being interviewed & asked what his biggest disappointment was / is.................................. " Alton Towers, its rubbish". Gets me every time, still has me on the floor laughing .

All this interview stuff reminds me of the classic line in " The Office" , when Brent is being interviewed & asked what his biggest disappointment was / is.................................. " Alton Towers, its rubbish". Gets me every time, still has me on the floor laughing .

:lol::lol::lol:

I've had lots of previous jobs (I like a change) and what annoys me with WP advisors giving you the stereotypical lecture on interviews is the fact that very few interviews ARE actually stereotypical! Some interviewers don't shake hands, maintain eye contact, ask you predictable questions (and wait for your predictable response), show enthusiasm or professionalism and can be more nervous that you are. I've rarely had what I'd call anything approaching a 'textbook' interview.

I've always maintained - and still do - that 95% of any interview depends upon whether they basically like your face and manner. If your face doesn't fit then all the skill and qualifications in the world will count for nothing. Human nature at it's most basic; we've all had that 'I like the look of him/her' feeling when you just know someone is decent.

Best interview I had was way back in the 80's for an admin job. I was interviewed by a guy the same age as me who put a big bag of jelly babies on the desk, put his feet up on the desk and invited me to do the same, dive in to the sweets and let's just chat. We got along great and if it wasn't for the fact that the job involved travelling a long way, I'd have definitely got it. Most relaxed 'non-interview' I've ever had :). How can you be taught to prepare for those kind of interviews then?

..hands up all those with only one, truly accurate CV they always use..

hmmm..thought so :)

meeeeeee, i have one 100% truthful c/v :)

and please stop defending IDS..he hasn't told just a little white lie, basically his whole life is one big lie!!

Very true on the interviews, last one I had was very last minute, and I didn't want the job (part time - 10 to 4, 5 days a week...) and only for 3 months.

Some interviews seem a total waste of time on all parts, I think this one is only two people and myself, preferable to a three panel interview.

And I also hate the 'why do you want the job?' question. It's like asking a man dying of thirst in the desert why he wants to drink YOUR water; at this point, all he wants is the water, irrespective of who's it is.

I hate this question too. The reason why I want that job is because I want to get off benefits and I'm bored. Don't think that was quite the answer they were looking for. Was it?

I hate this question too. The reason why I want that job is because I want to get off benefits and I'm bored. Don't think that was quite the answer they were looking for. Was it?

I think this question is harder to answer when it is just any old job, it's much easier when it's a job you feel excited and eager about. For my last job it was easy and true to say:

'I find it really rewarding being able to use my skills to help the vulnerable. This job will pay me to do something I love'

More difficult for a job that was just for the money and to be working. Maybe 'I really want to work, and this job will provide me with a new challenge and new opportunities'.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

I realise i keep on about this but, we have the job centre staff etc stating that signing up for the UJM site is now mandatory

Can someone please tell me where in either the Welfare Reform Act, or the Job Seekers Allowance Regulations, secondary legislation has been included to make signing up for UJM a condition on receiving JSA payments

I realise i keep on about this but, we have the job centre staff etc stating that signing up for the UJM site is now mandatory

Can someone please tell me where in either the Welfare Reform Act, or the Job Seekers Allowance Regulations, secondary legislation has been included to make signing up for UJM a condition on receiving JSA payments

I don't think it is in any legislation specifically in so many words - the DWP would argue that it's a delegated executive power. Whether the DWP is correct or not I couldn't say. I suspect it would take a legal challenge to find that out.

What the DWP is currently stating seems to be not that it is mandatory for all claimants, but that advisers may mandate it where appropriate via a Jobseekers Direction.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Delegated legislation is the most undemocratic and unconstitutional process of law that this country has when abused, and trust this government to abuse it

The ACT, or primary legislation is fine as it has been through the debating chamber and any problems have been ironed out, secondary or delegated legislation is again fine, that is to tweek the primary legislation. But once again goverments abuse this power to serve its own political dogma

Totally undemocractic practice

I don't think it is in any legislation specifically in so many words - the DWP would argue that it's a delegated executive power. Whether the DWP is correct or not I couldn't say. I suspect it would take a legal challenge to find that out.

What the DWP is currently stating seems to be not that it is mandatory for all claimants, but that advisers may mandate it where appropriate via a Jobseekers Direction.

Although Front Line Advisors may issue Mandation via a Job Seekers Direction, this would only likely to arise if the FLA can justify their beliefs that the candidate would benefit from using Universal Job Match.

http://www.pcs.org.uk/en/department_for_work_and_pensions_group/dwp-news.cfm/id/7CB27121-96CB-4363-944EBA40616465A4

The Secretary of State for DWP will make an announcement on 1st March 2013 that, with effect from 4th March 2013, FLAs can mandate claimants to register for UJ. This will be done via a Jobseeker Direction. Importantly, however, management have acknowledged that mandatory sign up to UJ will not be a blanket approach; instead, FLAs should encourage claimants to use UJ. Mandatory sign up will be on an individual basis, if the FLA feels that UJ would be beneficial to the claimant, and they have ‘unreasonably refused’.

Delegated legislation is the most undemocratic and unconstitutional process of law that this country has when abused, and trust this government to abuse it

The ACT, or primary legislation is fine as it has been through the debating chamber and any problems have been ironed out, secondary or delegated legislation is again fine, that is to tweek the primary legislation. But once again goverments abuse this power to serve its own political dogma

Totally undemocractic practice

I cant recall the last occasion when any piece of Legislation went through the House of Commons where, rather than being through the "debating chamber and any problems have been ironed out", which did not go through solely on the basis of the Executive dictating the Payroll Vote - and both Labour and Conservative Governments have been guilty of stifling democratic debate.

Edited by RebeccaPidgeon
Additional Information Submitted

For my next appointment with Ingeus, one of the activities stated in the MAN is 'Register with Universal Jobmatch'.

..I can't wait to hear them say 'You have to do it, it's compulsory'... I'll try and be polite as I re-educate them, naturally :)

For my next appointment with Ingeus, one of the activities stated in the MAN is 'Register with Universal Jobmatch'.

..I can't wait to hear them say 'You have to do it, it's compulsory'... I'll try and be polite as I re-educate them, naturally :)

Naturally!! :-) Might be useful to just provide the necessary written evidence - chapter and verse!

Impecunious! :-)

Good luck and please post how it goes for you. We have to learn off each other to stay afloat like a large CAG lifeboat launched from the sinking dwp ship lol

I've joined Universal Jobmatch and as far as I can see, it basically just looks like a 'tracking device' for the JC to see what and how we are applying for.

Once I log in with my number and password and click on various jobs and then go to the apply button - 9 out of 10 times I'm brought to the company's website/recruitment agency and asked again to register or apply there?

I though this UJM was set up to make things easier and we could apply using it?

I've not allowed the dole access to my file, but I imagine if they do - they can see what jobs you look at and how shady is the ''Reasons you didn't apply'' section.

So what use is the UJM site and why should you register for it, when many of the jobs on it - you are taken to another site and you apply there. What so you can fill in the application history part and say you applied for a job (which you do in that diary thing).

Very shady.

Yes but they could have you in on their computers instead although it will cost them travel fares so chances of them parting with more cash

will be slim.

I personally will not sign up, There terms and conditions do it for me, if the jobs advertised on there can't be guaranteed to be real and not scams

and the DWP will take not responsibility for what they allow up there then I will choose to not agree to the terms and conditions and not use the site.

The terms and conditions and the cookies are the UJM's biggest nightmare and its with those that it will fail.

I will wait until I get mandated to it then refuse as I use alternative sites that have better security over the jobs placed, There is no way I will look for a job

on that site when you don't even know if the job is real, then you would be compromising your personal details to someone in Africa.

George

I've joined Universal Jobmatch and as far as I can see, it basically just looks like a 'tracking device' for the JC to see what and how we are applying for.

That's all it is, i joined for 2 reasons i was told at the JC they would be keeping an eye on it and secondly alot of jobs i apply for leading you to there...

Best thing is to look on UJ, (without registering, naturally) and pick the jobs which are being handled by a 'proper' agency, such as Reed, CV-Library, etc then go to their sites and apply there. Much safer and there's always plenty of their vacancies on UJ.

After you've applied via these agencies they both send you an acknowledgement email that you've applied. Show these to the jobcentre. This proves that A) You've applied for jobs and B) You found them by using UJ, which is what they wanted anyway.

Pointless mandating anyone to use UJ anyway when you can refuse to allow DWP access...rather defeats the purpose, doesn't it? Unless they can gain access anyway, despite you not ticking the box...wouldn't put it past them.

Edited by jasta11