Universal Credit (ESA) / WCA / Restart Programme - Help & Advice Needed Please!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 100 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good evening, everyone, it has been a good few years since I have posted so I hope everyone is well.

I have had great help from this forum in the past and I am hoping you can help/advise me once again. I will TRY and be concise and as brief as I can.

After a period working full time, I had a breakdown at work due to a family bereavement, financial problems and a relationship breakdown. At first work were supportive but things got bad and I ended up having a full-blown breakdown at work. I decided at this point that my health was more important and resigned due to the pressure being too much even with modifications to my role being made.

Since then (May 2023) I have claimed Universal Credit (ESA element) including housing costs.

I received my WCA questionnaire and completed it and had my WCA mid July 2023 (6 months ago) and have still heard nothing – is this normal? I know I will almost certainly not have enough points so am reluctant to call and ‘remind them’ could it have been lost and I will eventually need to have another WCA when they see I have not been processed properly?

In addition to this I have been getting periodic 3-month fit notes from my GP for clinical depression, anxiety and OCD. Although the DWP UC accept these my ‘work coach’ who I see every 3 months whilst on fit notes has referred me to the RESTART programme who, after investigating, seem to be like an organisation I had horrors with many moons ago, being INGEUS.

My question is, can a WCA outcome ‘trump’ a fit note from GP and when I have my first appointment with RESTART (tomorrow) and outline my limitations and illnesses and having a fit note can I be mandated to search for work with a current fit note? My so-called work coach has also mentioned they will put me on CV courses, interview skills etc, all capabilities I have from past roles where I am proficient but not at the moment. Although I am mandated, I find this a tick box exercise but I guess to keep my benefits I have to play along.

Whilst I want to eventually work again, I think a tailored return would be best so can I say because of conditions I find it difficult to travel long distances and only want to work part time? I guess this is what I discuss when formulating a plan with RESTART?

Also, and I apologise for the long post, WHEN the WCA does come back and I inevitably fail am I entitled to appeal this via a mandatory reconsideration and whilst this is ongoing will I still receive my UC payments?

With my anxiety at an all time high this is starting to stress me out so some advice would REALLY be helpful.

Thank you

If you can access claim online, you need to send a journal message asking why you have not received notice of the outcome of the WCA. Normally it takes up to 6 weeks after assessment to receive outcome letter which is added to journal by the Decision Maker.

If you don't have access to UC claim online, call 0800 328 5644.

You can be referred to Restart while under a fit note, but when you attend Restart tell them about your health and that you have not received the WCA outcome after 6 months of having assessment, so have asked about this. Also if you don't believe you can start working in the next 12 months tell Restart. Restart may find you unsuitable to take part in Restart, so they may refer you back to Job Centre and not enroll you.

Fit notes are only advisory. It is the WCA outcome that is important, which of course you can appeal.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread