There is a god, 1st Credit gets a SERIOUS slap from OFT - Re Stat Demands etc

Curlyben
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5525 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Or sending an SD for a Statute barred Debt

Yep that's another of their favourites. Of course in Scotland (apart from using the correct Act and form - big hint Capquest) an SD has to be served by a sheriffs officer or messenger-at-arms, so a bit more expensive than sticking a stamp on an envelope, and you can just tick the box marked 'denied' and sign it and hey ho it's off to set aside we go. Maybe that's why they only get as far as sending the legally incompetent threatogram.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No mention of the OFT's announcement on the Credit Today website!

What, no 'Most Hammered by the OFT for Non-Compliance' award?

Has Ron Bidwell not talked about it on the Credit Today forum (to himself, of course)?

No CSA course on how to deal with a potential £50k fine for every c0ck-up?

I think we should be told...

What, no 'Most Hammered by the OFT for Non-Compliance' award?

Has Ron Bidwell not talked about it on the Credit Today forum (to himself, of course)?

No CSA course on how to deal with a potential £50k fine for every c0ck-up?

I think we should be told...

Its on the Crudit Toady forum already ;-) Credit Today online

From here (Whitehallpages.net):

Failure to comply with the requirements could lead to a fine of up to £50,000 for each occurrence and/or possible revocation of 1st Credit's consumer credit licence.

In 2008, following receipt of an application to vary an associated company's licence, the OFT carried out an in-depth investigation into the business practices and procedures employed by companies operating under the 1st Credit banner. In assessing the companies' competence to carry out consumer credit activities, the OFT conducted on-site visits and reviewed complaints received about 1st Credit's debt collection practices via consumers, Citizens Advice, CCCS and Consumer Direct.

The OFT raised concerns about its dissatisfaction with 1st Credit's behaviour and confirmed that it was looking to impose requirements to improve some of the company's business practices. 1st Credit acknowledged the problems and, as allowed under the Consumer Credit Act, proposed necessary changes to address the OFT's concerns.

Ray Watson, OFT Director for Consumer Credit, said:

'The OFT welcomes the constructive approach that 1st Credit has taken in responding to the OFT's concerns about its activities.

'Debt collection firms have a clear legal obligation to deal fairly and proportionately with consumers. This is more important than ever given the current economic climate, when people may already be suffering as a consequence of debt problems. We will continue to use our licensing powers to take firm action to protect consumers where debt collectors engage in oppressive behaviour or practices that fail to comply with our guidance.'

We will not be intimidated.

'The pen is mightier than the sword'.

Petition to Outlaw Debt Sale and Purchase

- can't read/post much as eye strain's v.bad.

VIVA CAG!!! :)

I think we have crashed the forum. Probably so many hits at once they can't cope. Or have they taken it down:D

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

Yep that's another of their favourites. Of course in Scotland (apart from using the correct Act and form - big hint Capquest) an SD has to be served by a sheriffs officer or messenger-at-arms, so a bit more expensive than sticking a stamp on an envelope, and you can just tick the box marked 'denied' and sign it and hey ho it's off to set aside we go. Maybe that's why they only get as far as sending the legally incompetent threatogram.

Crapquest sent quite a few out to Northern Ireland around Christmas and they did quote the proper legislation. Just a pity they sent them out by post and didnt comply with the rules of service. A few local solicitors looked at them and laughed.

Wonder how they suddenly discopvered that Northern Ireland was NOT covered by Scottish Law and didnt threaten their scary solicitors N***Ns of Kirkintilloch.

I think we have crashed the forum. Probably so many hits at once they can't cope. Or have they taken it down:D

Do you mean the CT site because its still there. Obviously Ron hasnt complained to the headmistress.

The Crudit Toady awards show should be embarassing fun for the Reigate table.

It was the forums - unless you now need to be subscribed which wasn't the case before:eek:

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

Good Job, what goes round comes round, hope they all suffer, after all the upset they caused my wife and me :)

1st Credit "means" all the associated companies. I think there is four 1st Credit names and theres Connaught Collections and one external solicitor that wrote to us.

They still have to resolve my complaints that I have filed with the following

Financial Ombudsman Services & Information Commissoners Office and the best bit is, Barclays name is associated with them all in my cases :)

Heres the letter we sent the Office of Fair Trading and gave authorisation to use personal details if need be, wondered why 1st Credit left her alone. To little to late imo.

Enquiries Unit

Office of Fair Trading

Fleetbank House

2 – 6 Salisbury Square

London

EC4Y 8JX

Dear Sir / Madam

Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 (cput)

Formal complaints against the following named companies:

1. 1st Credit Limited and their legal division LCS Solicitors.

2. Connaught Collections UK Ltd.

3. Booker Management Services Limited.

I am writing to make a formal complaint against each of the above named companies for Wrongful Pursuit of Debts and Severe Harassment to myself .................................................. ... I believe these actions are Unlawful and ******** Offences under the Administration of Justice Act 1970. I have received telephone calls and letters for the Debts that have no connection with me whatsoever. I am very upset and distressed by all of this. Although I have pointed this out to the named companies, they have failed to acknowledge this and continue to contact me and Harass with Threats of action. I believe they have broken all the Guidelines / Regulations put in place. I enclose a sheet detailing the sequence of events and copies of the letters. I would be grateful if you would acknowledge this letter and let me know what procedures you now intend to follow and what your targets for action are.

We look forward to your reply.

Heres an extract from the ICO complaint:

Holding incorrect and Untrue Information about me. Processing incorrect and Untrue information about me. Passing incorrect and Untrue Information about me to third parties. The third parties are: 1st Credit (guernsey) Limited, Connaughts Collections Limited.

These letters were sent a good couple of months back, since then Ive filed untold extra information with the ICO and on top of that some big complaints with the Financial Ombudsman :)

Ive been working overtime to see how they like a taste of their own medicine.

spark

SLOWLY, SLOWLY CATCHEE MONKEY!

“The OFT imposes requirements on 1st Credit over debt collection practices”

SEE ARTICLE: http://www.oft.gov.uk:80/news/press/2009/20-09

PUBLIC INFORMATION

1ST CREDIT (FUNDING) LIMITED

UK SUBSIDIARIES (FROM JORDANS)

Company name

Relationship

LO

Registered No

1ST CREDIT (ACQUISITIONS) LIMITED

Wholly Owned

1ST CREDIT (HOLDINGS) LIMITED

Wholly Owned

1ST CREDIT (CONSULTING) LIMITED

Wholly Owned

1ST CREDIT (FINANCE) 2 LIMITED

Wholly Owned

1ST CREDIT (FINANCE) LIMITED

Wholly Owned

1ST CREDIT (MANAGEMENT) LIMITED

Wholly Owned

1ST CREDIT LIMITED

Wholly Owned

CONNAUGHT COLLECTIONS UK LIMITED

Wholly Owned

EDWARD JAMES INTERNATIONAL (HOLDINGS) LIMITED

Wholly Owned

DELIVERY AND COLLECTIONS SERVICES LTD

Wholly Owned

EDWARD JAMES INTERNATIONAL (PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT) LIMITED

Wholly Owned

EDWARD JAMES INTERNATIONAL LIMITED

Wholly Owned

1ST CREDIT LIMITED

CURRENT DIRECTORS

Name

First Name

Date of Birth

Position

Shareholder

Mr C.J. Holland

Charles

17/09/1952

Director

Home Address

:

Church House, Little Coxwell, Farringdon, Oxfordshire, SN7 7LW

Full Postcode

: SN7 7LW

Appointment Date

:

15/04/1999

Total Number of Current Directorships of Active companies

: 12

Total Number of Current Directorships of Inactive companies

: 2

Total Number of Previous Directorships

Mr N. Nathoo

Najib

6/07/1963

Director

Home Address

:

29 Albert's Court, PalgraveGardens, London, NW1 6EL

Full Postcode

: NW1 6EL

Appointment Date

:

15/04/1999

: 16

: 23

Mr S.G. Dighton

Simon

5/06/1963

Chartered Accountant

Home Address

:

28 Lightwoods Hill, Bearwood, Warley, West Midlands, B67 5EA

Full Postcode

: B67 5EA

Appointment Date

:

28/03/2008

: 32

: 35

: 120

Biography

:

SIMON DIGHTON WAS APPOINTED AS GROUP FINANCE DIRECTOR OF FERRARIS GROUP PLC ASA WELL AS COMPANY SECRETARY OF THE GROUP. HE TRAINED WITH KPMG IN BIRMINGHAMANDCHICAGO BEFORE JOINING LLOYDS CHEMIST PLC IN 1995. MORE RECENTLY HE WAS GROUP FINANCE DIRECTOR OF BIRKBY PLCAND THEN NOVARA PLC. HE IS A CHARTERED ACCOUNTANT AND MEMBER OF THE REGIONAL ADVISORY GROUP TO THE STOCK EXCHANGE. HE WAS BORN IN 1943.

Mr S.G. Dighton

Simon

5/06/1963

Company Secretary

Home Address

:

28 Lightwoods Hill, Bearwood, Warley, West Midlands, B67 5EA

Full Postcode

: B67 5EA

Appointment Date

:

31/03/2008

: 32

: 35

: 120

Biography

:

SIMON DIGHTON WAS APPOINTED AS GROUP FINANCE DIRECTOR OF FERRARIS GROUP PLC ASA WELL AS COMPANY SECRETARY OF THE GROUP. HE TRAINED WITH KPMG IN BIRMINGHAMANDCHICAGO BEFORE JOINING LLOYDS CHEMIST PLC IN 1995. MORE RECENTLY HE WAS GROUP FINANCE DIRECTOR OF BIRKBY PLCAND THEN NOVARA PLC. HE IS A CHARTERED ACCOUNTANT AND MEMBER OF THE REGIONAL ADVISORY GROUP TO THE STOCK EXCHANGE. HE WAS BORN IN 1943.

Hope this helps.

Richard Spud.

Good to see you again, Spud. Interesting info.

The arrestingly-named Najib Nathoo is, of course, also President of the CSA, the DCAs mutual masturbation club. What an excellent example his company sets. Trebles all round!

Wonder if Naj will be making a speech at the Crudit Toady awards

the DCAs mutual masturbation club.

:D

post office WON 12/11/06

abbey.LBA sent 30/10/06.MCOL claim submitted 8/11/06.allocation questionnaire sent 16/12/06.schedule of charges sent 16/12/06.WON

2nd abbey claim SAR sent 3/1/07.WON.complaint letter sent 18/1/08

alliance and Leicester.WON

In Daily Mirror Investigations

Note the last line:

The 1st Credit website says "We aim to negotiate and resolve with professionalism and integrity". Let us know if that's not happening.

We will not be intimidated.

'The pen is mightier than the sword'.

Petition to Outlaw Debt Sale and Purchase

- can't read/post much as eye strain's v.bad.

VIVA CAG!!! :)

Office of Fair Trading warns debt agencies - Telegraph

A group of 13 debt collection agencies and financial institutions have been told by the Office of Fair Trading to end practices that include harassing consumers or face the loss of their operating licence.

The consumer watchdog has intervened following a big increase in complaints from consumers about debt collection practices. The increased pressure is seen as another indication of the credit crunch and the build-up in consumer debt.

Some of the companies have been accused of chasing customers who did not owe them anything. Others were said to be failing to properly investigate disputed debts.

They were also said to be contacting debtors at unreasonable times and threatening home visits in disputed cases as well as failing to carry out sufficient checks on data from creditors or credit reference agencies.

David Philpott, OFT deputy director of consumer credit, said: "It is unacceptable for debt collection businesses to engage in unfair practices and we will take action where we find evidence of this."

The OFT has given the companies four weeks to respond before further action is considered. Since Sunday, it has been given new powers to impose fines of up to £50,000 for debt agencies breaching the terms of their licence.

None of the companies has been named because of legal restrictions on the release of information, says the OFT.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financetopics/recession/4807580/OFT-orders-debt-collector-to-stop-sending-threatening-legal-letters.html

The OFT said an investigation into complaints made against 1st Credit revealed the company had failed to meet "satisfactory standards".

The OFT ordered 1st Credit to "refrain from issuing statutory demands warning of bankruptcy where it is unlikely that proceedings will be initiated"; "not discuss legal action with consumers unless it is likely that such action will be taken"; and "ensure sensitive cases involving vulnerable individuals, for example those with mental health or medical problems, are dealt with appropriately".

The action against 1st Credit comes amid wider concerns that a number of debt collectors are using aggressive, intimidating practices to recover money.

Ray Watson, OFT Director for Consumer Credit, said: "Debt collection firms have a clear legal obligation to deal fairly and proportionately with consumers. This is more important than ever given the current economic climate, when people may already be suffering as a consequence of debt problems. We will continue to use our licensing powers to take firm action to protect consumers where debt collectors engage in oppressive behaviour or practices that fail to comply with our guidance."

The OFT said that while 1st Credit had cooperated fully in dealing with the issues raised by the investigation, it had been ordered to report back to the OFT every six months detailing the number of enforcement actions it has taken against debtors. Failure to comply with the stipulations could lead to a £50,000 fine and the removal of the company's consumer credit licence.

A spokesperson for 1st Credit said: "We have since late 2008 made improvements in our training and processes in all of the areas highlighted and suggested proposals in response to the OFT requirements which were accepted by them."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5gQpc5GJGExQEm74gsGhtOp1JjNyw

Debt collection firm 'must improve'

3 hours ago

The trading watchdog has called on 1st Credit to improve its debt collection practices or face fines of up to £50,000.

The Office of Fair Trading (OFT) has imposed a series of requirements on the group after an investigation found that some of its business practices failed to meet satisfactory standards.

It is calling on 1st Credit and its associated companies not to issue statutory demands warning that it will start bankruptcy proceedings where this is unlikely to be the case. The firm has also been told not to discuss legal action with consumers unless it is likely that it will initiate it.

The OFT also called on the group to ensure that it was handling sensitive cases involving vulnerable people, such as those with mental health or medical problems, appropriately, as well as addressing concerns about its practices which have been raised by debt advice charities.

1st Credit must report back to the OFT every six months, giving it statistics on the number of enforcement actions it has taken against debtors.

If it fails to comply with any of the requirements set out by the OFT, it could be fined up to £50,000 for each occurrence, as well as facing having its consumer credit licence revoked.

The OFT carried out an in-depth investigation into the business practices of groups operating under the 1st Credit banner in 2008, following an application to vary an associated company's licence.

The investigation including reviewing complaints made about 1st Credit's debt collection practices from consumers, Citizens Advice and the Consumer Credit Counselling Service.

The watchdog said it raised its concerns with 1st Credit, which acknowledged the problems and proposed changes to address them.

A 1st Credit spokeswoman said: "We have an ongoing and positive dialogue with the OFT as we seek constantly to improve our business practices and ensure that the highest standards are met and exceeded. We have since late 2008 made improvements in our training and processes in all of the areas highlighted and suggested proposals in response to the OFT requirements which were accepted by them."

Edited by zazen.warrior

I don't think it matters about if it was the bad press on tv or mass complaints from people taking advice from consumer forums.

What matters is in the current climate the media are now taking notice of our DCA horror stories, and action is being taken against them. If we're to take a few DCA's down. Now is the best chance we will ever get to hit them where it hurts most.

The more bad press they get and the more complaints we make, the stronger we'll become. But we are winning. Look at how many cases CAG members have won recently. UK26 has Experien and Lowells looking like frightened rabbits in car headlights. In what should be golden times for DCA's, some of them are struggling.

We have nothing to lose apart from a little bit of time/stamps/and paper. :grin:

Totally agree with Fuzzybobble on this. Keep complaining - eventually the trickle turns into a flood.

And Richard Spud - how the devil are you? Missed you pesence on these boards.

Confession Time :

I got a letter from 1st Credit, which disgustingly said you owedebt we are not aware of any reason of why you dont pay up, we propose BANKRUPTCY proceedings please contact us with a date and time we can serve this on you.

One week later i.e last week, that was cancelled and a simple letter was sent,

THEM Errr, you owe someone money, any chance of a couple of quid?

ME: PHUCK off.

Edited by Oh Boy!

** Credentials **

10 Years Finance Fraud Investigator

5 Year High Court Sheriffs

2 Years Tip Staff Royal Courts

Currently : HMCS Enforcement Officer

I thought the Lords go to open prison?

I wonder if there will be calls for him to be barred from the 'other place' like old Archer? Lord Archer defended by Tony Blair's priest - Telegraph

Your right on! it will be the nicest totally open prison you can imagine.

Re OFT warning to 1st Credit.

It will only slow them down for short while until they work out a get around. At least something is better than nothing, should help give a bit of breathing space to those of us at the sharp end of tackling 1st Credit.

And yes keep complaining were possible!