H.O.L Test case appeal. Judgement Declared. ***See Announcements***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5057 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We all know what regulation 5 says and there is no doubt that it applies to contracts for banking services.The essence of the problem is even if regulation 5 seems to apply you must clear the hurdle of regulation 6 (2) and that is what the test case appeal was all about and where the banks won.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We all know what regulation 5 says and there is no doubt that it applies to contracts for banking services.The essence of the problem is even if regulation 5 seems to apply you must clear the hurdle of regulation 6 (2) and that is what the test case appeal was all about and where the banks won.

I don't think that's the case - 6(2) is very specific, but 5 is much wider. 5 challenges the whole contract, which is where I think we'll see the Banks capitulating and settling before it gets to Court. (De ja vu, then... :rolleyes:)

I don't think that's the case - 6(2) is very specific, but 5 is much wider. 5 challenges the whole contract, which is where I think we'll see the Banks capitulating and settling before it gets to Court. (De ja vu, then... :rolleyes:)

I do not follow this. You cannot take regulation 5 without regulation 6. If you can, what is regulation 6 doing there? What exactly is it "very specific" to?

so why did the HOL suggest if the OFT want to have another go they should use regulation 5? Surely if it was dead in the water they would have said so.

I don't think the banks will go to court on this.

There is a suggestion that the higher courts never say never, just in case someone comes up with a scenario no one had ever considered before.

I don't have any personal stake in the bank charges thing other than wanting to see the consumer beat the big boys, but I also have doubts about whether reg 5 will work.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Having read the full judgment I'd be surprised if it failed on regulation 5, and I'd be quite surprised if the banks were keen to turn up in court to defend themselves. I think we could be back at square one, but hope the OFT take on board what the Supreme Court has offered.

Until the banks are better regulated though, I believe they'll continue to be a law unto themselves, as the stupidity with RBS still wanting to dish out bonuses after nearly going to the wall, demonstrates only too clearly.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

BTW, I've dusted down the spreadsheet with hubbys charges from Lloyds so we're ready to go when we have new advice and POC.:D

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I can't wait till the OFT say they're going to start court proceedings against the banks under Regulation 5. Hopefully they'll announce their position this month.

I see,

Hungry for another 2 year court case and stay that takes us nowhere are you?

Personally I'd be more than happy if the OFT just dissapered up its own jacksy and left us to it

:cool:

omnia praesumuntur legitime facta donec probetur in contrarium

Please note: I am not a member of the legal profession, all advice given is purely my opinion, if in doubt consult a professional

I see,

Hungry for another 2 year court case and stay that takes us nowhere are you?

Personally I'd be more than happy if the OFT just dissapered up its own jacksy and left us to it

:cool:

Seconded....

would be nice if they gave a parting shot whilst admitting defeat... something along the lines of..

"We acknowledge the supreme courts suggestion of the use of regulation 5 to challenge in ours and the publics opinion these unfair fees but feel its not in the best interests of the public for the OFT to continue with an appeal that will obviously involve a further stay and a continuation of fees being charged with no redress for customers, therefore we invite customers to take their banks to task for these fees direct utilizing the county courts in either a class action or individually"

S.

...Until the banks are better regulated though, I believe they'll continue to be a law unto themselves, as the stupidity with RBS still wanting to dish out bonuses after nearly going to the wall, demonstrates only too clearly.
If RBS are allowed to successfully get away with dictating to an elected NEW Labour government, the Conservatives will walk next year's general election, make no mistake about that.

The entire current RBS Board should be summarily dismissed forthwith, no if's or maybe's but NOW!!!

This present government's credibility ebbs by the hour whilst these selfish charlatans expect US,the impoverished UK taxpayers, to pay for their past, current + potentially future indulgences.

:-x:-x:-x:-x:-x

Nice to see that the audit office estimate of the total cost to the taxpayer to bail out the banks will be around £850bn

WT (naughty word) couldnt we plumb this into the post office/ giving cash to those that lost out when the banks went tits up and just let all but say 1 or 2 smaller banks fail?

RBS and the like shouldve been left to go to the wall, I dont believe for a minute we would have had the doomsday scenario the govt. use to justify this disgrace that has befallen us over the last year or so

I mean, how many cancer drugs/sets of body armour for the troops/helicopters/etc would this £850bn have bought

And I'm not interested in the "thats a different area of the budget" rubbish either - as far as I'm concerned it comes from the public purse (e.g: tom, dick and sally) so its a valid question

omnia praesumuntur legitime facta donec probetur in contrarium

Please note: I am not a member of the legal profession, all advice given is purely my opinion, if in doubt consult a professional

Now listen 'ere! 25th December I expect pressies and calling Santa on the board are going to potentially mean he might not deliver. I have a list for Santa! ;)

Michael

(imagining RBS board on resigning all wearing Santa Claus outfits)

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is. (Oscar Wilde)

--I like to be helpful wherever possible however I'm not qualified in this field. I do consider carefully anything important (normally from personal experience) however please understand that any actions taken are at your own risk--

Now listen 'ere! 25th December I expect pressies and calling Santa on the board are going to potentially mean he might not deliver. I have a list for Santa! ;)

Michael

(imagining RBS board on resigning all wearing Santa Claus outfits)

:oops: So do I :D

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Well the RBS board have said they would resign if restricted on bonus payments for their staff, especially investment bankers. Whilst it won't happen it'd be funny to see them do it and the aftermath! OMG, government civil servants running a bank - the pure nightmare of it!

Michael

(who loves the images btw and stands next to CitizenB for Santa's visit)!)

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is. (Oscar Wilde)

--I like to be helpful wherever possible however I'm not qualified in this field. I do consider carefully anything important (normally from personal experience) however please understand that any actions taken are at your own risk--