• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

H.O.L Test case appeal. Judgement Declared. ***See Announcements***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5044 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well, when it comes to exemptions, it would only come down to s.41 - Commercial Information.

"It could be difficult to draw the line between the protection of legitimate commercial interests and the public’s right to know how its money is spent. However, the FOIA makes a presumption in favour of disclosure, so, in theory, if the balance is a very fine one, the Information Commissioner, the Information Tribunal and the courts should come down in favour of disclosure. Experience from other countries with FOI legislation suggests they do".

---Aut viam inveniam aut faciam---

***All advice given should be taken as guidance... Professional advice should always be taken before any course of action is pursued***

- I do not reply directly to any PMs, but you are more than welcome to enclose a link, in a PM, to your post. Thank you -

Make a contribution to this site... Help the CAG keeping on helping you for FREE.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Actually that's a very interesting question. The government has a majority stake in three banks although they are still public limited companies. There is an argument that the FOI does apply but I suspect that they'll disagree in principle and quote commercial confidentiality even if FOI does apply.

Oh you are potentially opening up the provebial can of worms. This would mean yet another (probably hopeless) Quango operated by civil servants. Then they'd need another one for deciding if the information could be issued. Probably have a third just for sending out the replies. I could think of some names for these but it'll go against site policy. ;)

Michael

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is. (Oscar Wilde)

--I like to be helpful wherever possible however I'm not qualified in this field. I do consider carefully anything important (normally from personal experience) however please understand that any actions taken are at your own risk--

As has already been mentioned recently here an AIR OF CALM Should be exercised with how to proceed with the next step of our claims.

I can understand the mayhem that the Supreme Courts ruling may have caused, but at this time we all need to remain calm otherwise the banks will have us in the position that they want, one of Dissarray.

It may seem easy for me to say stay calm, espescially when the Banks are attempting to strike out claims but we need to stay focused.

Allow time for the new P.O.Cs to be formullated by all of the Action groups involved, because if not, we will fall into the banks hands where they can pick off claims that dont hold up.

Look at it this way, the Banks have not won..... But rather Bought themselves some Breathing space.

And remember this.... HE WHO LAFFS LAST, LAFFS LOUDEST

Oh you are potentially opening up the provebial can of worms. This would mean yet another (probably hopeless) Quango operated by civil servants. Then they'd need another one for deciding if the information could be issued. Probably have a third just for sending out the replies. I could think of some names for these but it'll go against site policy. ;)

Michael

lol

It's a bit of a moot point anyway unless someone wants to take on the banks over the penalties argument (the OFT bottled it).

lol

It's a bit of a moot point anyway unless someone wants to take on the banks over the penalties argument (the OFT bottled it).

Out of interest, what sort of summs would be required to mount such a claim ?

because if my numbers come up in the euro mill lotery I would be prepared to part bankrol it.

"And you can quote me on that".

Even if nothing can be argued over the adequacy of the price applied by banks, I don't think that the public opinion would be 'amused' by how charges are arrived at...

;)

***All advice given should be taken as guidance... Professional advice should always be taken before any course of action is pursued***

- I do not reply directly to any PMs, but you are more than welcome to enclose a link, in a PM, to your post. Thank you -

Make a contribution to this site... Help the CAG keeping on helping you for FREE.

Out of interest, what sort of summs would be required to mount such a claim ?

because if my numbers come up in the euro mill lotery I would be prepared to part bankrol it.

"And you can quote me on that".

I would guess low to mid 6 figures.

I would guess low to mid 6 figures.

I'd have a swift guess (not that we'll ever know) that the 2 year full time legal stuff probably costs the banks collectively some £10/£15 million. Probably the £15 million being closer to the point. Now in banks accounts there might be and extra section about 'legal fees' though. :D

Michael

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is. (Oscar Wilde)

--I like to be helpful wherever possible however I'm not qualified in this field. I do consider carefully anything important (normally from personal experience) however please understand that any actions taken are at your own risk--

Various websites now give detailed ‘guidance’ on how to avoid repaying debts (regardless of the merits of

the argument) using inadequately or unclearly drafted sections of the CCA

Well my POC scared the poo out of Barclays....

Hi there Noomill060,

I wouldn't mind to copy your POC so I can scare a few more other banks...would that be possible to have a copy of thatp please??

Although I have lots of them in my store if should it go that far, I wouldn't mind if you can let me have it.

I would not like to use it but should they go as far as that....

I am dealing with HALIFAX at the moment...and later with M&S, Sainsbury, Abbey, ...you name it...

Thank you kindly,

DD

Presumeably 'respectfully' of course - but doesn't all this cost in court fees?

Depends how you worded your initial claim and 'if' you were presented with time direction awaiting the supreme court decision. Costs nothing to request a stay as long as you file before the bank attempts to take control.

If there was no limitation to the original direction then you can afford to hang with the majority, if you are compelled to respond to the court within say 7 or 14 days then you need to get something filed and on record soon.

It'll be each to their own on this point, some will have claims in the thousands and starting the process again will be an expense they could well do without at this time of year, many others will be in the hundreds and revised filing will incur a limited fee.

Originally posted by Bigredbus 'It could be difficult to draw the line between the protection of legitimate commercial interests and the public’s right to know how its money is spent. However, the FOIA makes a presumption in favour of disclosure, so, in theory......'

Would this also help negate the banks argument that the compilation of their costs is a commercial secret?

That could indeed...

I am in the process of requesting the Treasury to unveil how Northern Rock and Bradford & Bingley charges are arrived at...

:D

:)Did they no there at the top of mine?

Any typos spelling mistakes are due to leprechauns in my keyboard they move the letters around sometimes (edited for bookworm god bless her sole) Deep Peace be with you.

“I would say to the House as I said to those who have joined this government: I have

nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat. We have before us an ordeal of the

most grievous kind. We have before us many, many long months of struggle and of

suffering.

You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word: Victory. Victory at all costs —

Victory in spite of all terror — Victory, however long and hard the road may be, for

without victory there is no survival.”

(Winston Churchill Addressing the House of commons.)

All complaints go to the lootube. All conversations go in the white box then you click submit.

You ARE assuming there is a brain in there somewhere. Treasury officials 2 main aims were to say NO!! and try to look good when they said it.

In short........

Good luck mate - I wish you well and you should run rings around them.

Both banks are publicly owned... Let's see what they'll come up with!

is this true?

PENALTY CHARGES :: FIGHTING YOUR CORNER - FOR FREE Is very pleased to confirm that we have joined forces with Money Saving expert, Legal seagulls and the Consumer Action Group.

In a joint campaign against unlawful bank charges, Money Saving Expert has paid for Ray Cox QC to draft the New Particular of Claim for all forums, which should be available for members to use within 10 days,

Any typos spelling mistakes are due to leprechauns in my keyboard they move the letters around sometimes (edited for bookworm god bless her sole) Deep Peace be with you.

“I would say to the House as I said to those who have joined this government: I have

nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat. We have before us an ordeal of the

suffering.

You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word: Victory. Victory at all costs —

Victory in spite of all terror — Victory, however long and hard the road may be, for

All complaints go to the lootube. All conversations go in the white box then you click submit.

I am in the process of requesting the Treasury to unveil how Northern Rock and Bradford & Bingley charges are arrived at...

:D

As I said before I think this is an excelent idea. However, I think two things need to be done first:

1) Check whether the banks are covered with the Ministry of Justice. I think the act refers to "public authorities" and I don't know whether a bank would meet the definition.

2) If it is covered check whether the enquiry should be sent to the Treasury or to the bank itself.

The more I think about this the more I think that it's unlikely you will get anywhere unfortunately. The FOI wasn't framed with banks in mind and the govt and the banks will move heaven and earth to make sure that they're not covered.

is this true?

PENALTY CHARGES :: FIGHTING YOUR CORNER - FOR FREE Is very pleased to confirm that we have joined forces with Money Saving expert, Legal seagulls and the Consumer Action Group.

In a joint campaign against unlawful bank charges, Money Saving Expert has paid for Ray Cox QC to draft the New Particular of Claim for all forums, which should be available for members to use within 10 days,

The Consumer Forums - Announcements in Forum : Welcome to the Consumer Forums

As I said before I think this is an excelent idea. However, I think two things need to be done first:

1) Check whether the banks are covered with the Ministry of Justice. I think the act refers to "public authorities" and I don't know whether a bank would meet the definition.

2) If it is covered check whether the enquiry should be sent to the Treasury or to the bank itself.

The more I think about this the more I think that it's unlikely you will get anywhere unfortunately. The FOI wasn't framed with banks in mind and the govt and the banks will move heaven and earth to make sure that they're not covered.

The request has been sent... will keep you informed... :D

I do not think the banks are that nicey nicey with the government these days.

We only have to look at the collapse of certain banks.

You no I'm not sure if we put enough pressure on these powers to be they my tip our hand.

suffering.

FoIA 2000...

6 Publicly-owned companies

(1) A company is a “publicly-owned company” for the purposes of section 3(1)(b) if—

(a) it is wholly owned by the Crown, or

(b) it is wholly owned by any public authority listed in Schedule 1 other than—

(i) a government department, or

(ii) any authority which is listed only in relation to particular information.

(2) For the purposes of this section—

(a) a company is wholly owned by the Crown if it has no members except—

(i) Ministers of the Crown, government departments or companies wholly owned by the Crown, or

(ii) persons acting on behalf of Ministers of the Crown, government departments or companies wholly owned by the Crown, and

(b) a company is wholly owned by a public authority other than a government department if it has no members except—

(i) that public authority or companies wholly owned by that public authority, or

(ii) persons acting on behalf of that public authority or of companies wholly owned by that public authority.

(3) In this section—

• company” includes any body corporate;
  • “Minister of the Crown” includes a Northern Ireland Minister.

Northern Rock is a PLC, therefore a corporation aggregate... so is Bradford and Bingley.

I do not think the term Public body Covers the scope of a PLC.

It may have the name Public company in it but I do not think it is a public authority.

suffering.

nice if it did thought

suffering.