• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

H.O.L Test case appeal. Judgement Declared. ***See Announcements***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5018 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

That's what I have been saying for 3 yrs.

But then who would subsidise the "always in credit" crowd?

Don't worry Bookie, they'll think of something. Their ingenuity for charge invention knows no bounds.

Turnstiles! Swipe your card and, as your account is debited, you're allowed into the bank.:rolleyes:

Els

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

'kennyh' - hehe I thought someone would say what you said. ;)

Well they charge me (or used to) £25 for the honour of the letters 'DR' by the £4 and I called then. They removed the £25 charge - Okay once only but they did it. Now if set in stone they'd never do that. The fact that pre 2007 they refunded bank charges forgetting the words 'goodwill' (that word used a bit too often for nothing) means they relented on strict T&C's does it not? So it goes on. I'm sure in certain current accounts probably in the 'private' area they have many T&C's adjusted too.

Michael

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is. (Oscar Wilde)

--I like to be helpful wherever possible however I'm not qualified in this field. I do consider carefully anything important (normally from personal experience) however please understand that any actions taken are at your own risk--

Before the Barclays Reserve came in if I went overdrawn for a day for a few pounds I had only to ring and the manager I had then would hit a button and I wouldn't get a charge.

The problem is I NEED the Barclays Reserve, but according to them, whenever I ring up because for one day I have been, for example, £2.36 overdrawn the horrible people they have there now just say that is what I agreed to.

It actually isn't. I got a letter telling me I had a Barclays Reserve Account.

For years I knew about five of the managers in the business group. I had only to phone one of them and say funds were due in, whatever, and they would allow any payments to go through. I never lied about it - if I said the money would arrive it did. ALL OF THOSE MANAGERS AT BARCLAYS WHO WERE THERE FOR YEARS HAVE LEFT.

Last year I challenged three Barclays credit card agreements (two of which they had inherited). So now I can have a reserve which allows me up to £250 which can cost me £22 a week, but I have been told I cannot have a £250 overdraft.

DDx

Earlier by Aequitas

Certainly if that's how they are advertising it.

Individually negotiated as per UTCCR - don't think so

Never mind 'devil's advocate' are you related to AK?

But are (or more pertinently, were) banks advertising free banking?

There is no doubt that the terms for personal current accounts are not individually negotiated. I was not suggesting that if only a few people sign a form of contract that it is on that account individually negotiated.

Who is AK?

If you book into a hotel and the room you take is advertised at £750 per night, do you think that in the morning when you check out you should be allowed to pay less on the grounds that £750 per night is a rip off?

If you buy a jacket in a shop in St James's for £500 and then see the same jacket on sale in a shop in Oxford Street for £150 do you think you should be allowed to go back to the shop in St James's and get your money back on the grounds that you were ripped off?

If you sign a contract with a bank that says that if you conduct a transaction that takes you into the red you must pay a fee of £30 do you think you should be able to get the charge refunded on the grounds that you are being ripped off?

If your answer to the first two questions is “no”, but your answer to the last is “yes”, can you explain why?

My view is that in all three transactions you are being ripped off, but there is no qualitative difference between them that justifies objecting to one, but not the others.

All this about negotiated contracts or T&Cs is what baffles me. I opened my account in the early 70s when there were no charges. In the early 90s when I got made redundant then got divorced I hit some financial trouble. After a meeting with my bank manager we agreed that they would control my wages from my new job and allow me a certain amount a week to live on. I was given a personal banker to sort it every week. The cost of this was absolutely nothing. Around the mid to late 90s was when they started to impose new T&Cs on me firstly with a small charge for going overdrawn. Now at this point I had the option to move banks but for some reason all the banks had started doing it. Slowly over the following years the charges started to creep up with imposed revised T&Cs until they hit the all time high a few years ago.

If my original contract/T&Cs did not specify anything like this then where is this negotiated reasoning coming from.

I agree with you, Aequitas. My issue is this sudden move to a "Reserve" account with charges of £22 a week. If I had opted out when it came in I would never have incurred all the charges. Because I have cash problems I keep using it and it can cost up to £88 for four weeks, but if I don't use it I incur other charges from other people.

Actually I think I am going to take this up with the OFT.

This is exactly the kind of thing we all need to protest about and we are starting a list for the new year.

Yet Another Suicide through Debt. We're going to fight back NOW!!!

If you book into a hotel and the room you take is advertised at £750 per night, do you think that in the morning when you check out you should be allowed to pay less on the grounds that £750 per night is a rip off?

If you buy a jacket in a shop in St James's for £500 and then see the same jacket on sale in a shop in Oxford Street for £150 do you think you should be allowed to go back to the shop in St James's and get your money back on the grounds that you were ripped off?

If you sign a contract with a bank that says that if you conduct a transaction that takes you into the red you must pay a fee of £30 do you think you should be able to get the charge refunded on the grounds that you are being ripped off?

If your answer to the first two questions is “no”, but your answer to the last is “yes”, can you explain why?

My view is that in all three transactions you are being ripped off, but there is no qualitative difference between them that justifies objecting to one, but not the others.

Hmm, I'm none too sure about #1. I'd have pre booked the hotel and probably pre paid too to get a discount. Oh, my days staying in hotels have now gone! LOL Phew £750 a night, I was more thinking £75.

#2 is an informed 'choice' is it not? I would either 'shop around' for my 'single' purchase and if needed to, looked elsewhere and made a valued decision.

#3 is vastly different in every respect is it not? We are not entering into a single night at a hotel, a one off purchase but instead a service long term. We must at some time have to re-negotiate or occasionally be able to have exclusions or agreements from them.

Good job we all have different perpectives on things I guess! :-D

Michael

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is. (Oscar Wilde)

--I like to be helpful wherever possible however I'm not qualified in this field. I do consider carefully anything important (normally from personal experience) however please understand that any actions taken are at your own risk--

Also, just been informed by the Leeds Mercantile Courts that my claim hasn't been struck out and is in front of the Judge for re-listing on the 26th January 2010. :D

Have the court confirmed that it won't be struck out? This is very interesting. Leeds Mercantile has long been my favourite court.:grin:

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

That's what I have been saying for 3 yrs.

But then who would subsidise the "always in credit" crowd?

Whatever money is saved from bonuses should cover it. If RBS give up their £1.6 billion that would be a start, and if the others banks followed suit then problem solved.:rolleyes:

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

What if when I turn up at the hotel, they say "sorry, you're not coming in, but we are still going to charge you the £750"?

Bad example, or maybe very good one. You ARE protected by law and you CAN return goods which have a problem with them. You can't return them because you have changed your mind or found them cheaper elsewhere.... Ah, but MOST shops have a policy where they will either match prices or allow you to return the goods for whatever reason on top of your statutory rights. Why? Because the know that if they don't, people will vote with their feet and never come back somewhere which is that intransigeant when there are plenty of other shops which will accomodate THEM, the consumer. Only in the banking sector do we find that inflexibility and reasoning that whether the customer is happy or unhappy makes no odds to them. They work on the principle that we need them more than they need us (there's imbalance for you) and that no matter how unhappy we are, even if we go elsewhere, we'll get the same treatment so in the end, very few people move.

Again, depends on the "transaction". Are you saying that it is acceptable for the bank to refuse to pay the transaction, thereby not talking you into the red, then charge you a fee of £30+, which then takes you in the red? Is it acceptable for them to then charge you another fee because thanks to them you are now in the red?

See above.
  • Haha 1

You cannot really compare bank charges to anything else.

The banks are in a unique position in that most of us have to deposit our money there, the banks basically have unfettered access and first call on our money. This is exploited by the banks.

There is not real competition, the banks are all as bad as each other too, so there is no real choice.

They will pilfer from your account and you have the difficult process of trying to get your own money back from them if you consider they should not have taken.

Not sure where that came from, but thought it was about time I posted something here.

If I have been helpful please click on my star and add a comment.

Basically IF we signed up to an account which demands £30 for a transgression then, until recent years, we can (and should) argue that we resided in the belief that the bank operated with total integrity and that (£30) was how much it cost them as a 'liquidated loss' or whatever.

Since it has been shown that their costs are probably well below £3 then there MUST be a mechanism that will give us redress.

I doubt that there is a member of the forum which doesn't believe that a recompense figure to cover banks costs is justified - it really is a question of degree.

Incidentally I don't recall giving agreement for the bank to add insult to injury by charging a further 25-30% in interest ON the 'penalty', 'fee' or whatever. Does us USUROUS spring to the lips?

A charge in my view is acceptable per say. However a charge for £0.01 is totally not. please understand my point of view.

I am a can't pay won't pay customer.

Any typos spelling mistakes are due to leprechauns in my keyboard they move the letters around sometimes (edited for bookworm god bless her sole) Deep Peace be with you.

“I would say to the House as I said to those who have joined this government: I have

nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat. We have before us an ordeal of the

most grievous kind. We have before us many, many long months of struggle and of

suffering.

You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word: Victory. Victory at all costs —

Victory in spite of all terror — Victory, however long and hard the road may be, for

without victory there is no survival.”

(Winston Churchill Addressing the House of commons.)

All complaints go to the lootube. All conversations go in the white box then you click submit.

A charge in my view is acceptable per say. However a charge for £0.01 is totally not. please understand my point of view.

I am a can't pay won't pay customer.

I don't think you get into this situation if you are just a "won't pay" customer. The reason I think the system is inherently unfair is that those hit hardest are those struggling most! If you get £5000 per week spare cash and accidentally overspend one week and incur a £35 charge, 1 it doesn't matter to you that much, and 2 if you don't like it you'll manage your finances better! When you live on the breadline with income and expenditure being equal, a charge just snowballs out of control and takes a long long time to recover from!

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Correct CARO....I've been told it won't be struck out. :D

I have a section in my POC's that refers to REG 5.

Anyone's guess or maybe, just maybe, the Court have a view of REG 5 following the SCoJ judgement?

srfrench :eek:

Fight incompetance, stupidity, greed and unfairness......There's no excuse and no place for it in society, unless they really are! :wink:

When there are laws that get you out of contracts for nothing. Why pay money when you can give it to you're family.

Any typos spelling mistakes are due to leprechauns in my keyboard they move the letters around sometimes (edited for bookworm god bless her sole) Deep Peace be with you.

“I would say to the House as I said to those who have joined this government: I have

nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat. We have before us an ordeal of the

most grievous kind. We have before us many, many long months of struggle and of

suffering.

You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word: Victory. Victory at all costs —

Victory in spite of all terror — Victory, however long and hard the road may be, for

without victory there is no survival.”

(Winston Churchill Addressing the House of commons.)

All complaints go to the lootube. All conversations go in the white box then you click submit.

THis is one, more to the Mods than us mere mortals,....but can any site mods let the site know when approximately the new POC's that are being drafted by Ray Cox QC will be available?

Thanks ;)

Fight incompetance, stupidity, greed and unfairness......There's no excuse and no place for it in society, unless they really are! :wink:

Thanks YB.....I can't stress how we are all chomping at the bit here through the kindness of the various site admins and the Govan Law Centre.

The OFT does not have the power to intervene in individual disputes between consumers and businesses, rather, it is the OFT's duty to consider any complaint that a consumer contract term is unfair and, if appropriate, apply for an injunction from the court to prevent the continued use of that, or a similar, term.

In July 2008, the OFT published a market study into the state of the personal current account market. It established a complete picture of the market. It found that personal current accounts in the UK have many positive features:

• high levels of customer satisfaction

• many day-to-day services don't incur a charge, and

• internet and telephone banking makes it easier to manage.

However it identified a number of concerns which the OFT believed needed addressing:

• low levels of transparency over unarranged overdraft charges and costs, coupled with a high proportion of banks' total revenues made on unarranged overdraft charges and costs

• the complexity of the charges makes it harder for consumers to control the costs they incur and some pay significant amounts (a significant group of consumers underestimate the level and

frequency of banks' charges, and 1.4 million consumers paid over £500 in charges), and

• a general perception among consumers, not completely unfounded, that switching is complex and risky, contributing to low levels of switching between banks.

The OFT continues to have concerns about unarranged overdraft charges. The OFT will therefore be seeking discussions with banks, consumer organisations, the FSA and the Government in light of the Supreme Court judgment.

Edited by srfrench
Bad Formatting

What if when I turn up at the hotel, they say "sorry, you're not coming in, but we are still going to charge you the £750"? Bad example, or maybe very good one. You ARE protected by law and you CAN return goods which have a problem with them. You can't return them because you have changed your mind or found them cheaper elsewhere.... Ah, but MOST shops have a policy where they will either match prices or allow you to return the goods for whatever reason on top of your statutory rights. Why? Because the know that if they don't, people will vote with their feet and never come back somewhere which is that intransigeant when there are plenty of other shops which will accomodate THEM, the consumer. Only in the banking sector do we find that inflexibility and reasoning that whether the customer is happy or unhappy makes no odds to them. They work on the principle that we need them more than they need us (there's imbalance for you) and that no matter how unhappy we are, even if we go elsewhere, we'll get the same treatment so in the end, very few people move. Again, depends on the "transaction". Are you saying that it is acceptable for the bank to refuse to pay the transaction, thereby not talking you into the red, then charge you a fee of £30+, which then takes you in the red? Is it acceptable for them to then charge you another fee because thanks to them you are now in the red?

See above.

Excellent!

Some very good points well made Booky

:)

omnia praesumuntur legitime facta donec probetur in contrarium

Please note: I am not a member of the legal profession, all advice given is purely my opinion, if in doubt consult a professional

JUst gleaned from the Legal seagulls site...... (hope they don't mind reproduction?)

Earlier this week the OFT invited consumer campaigning groups to meet with them to discuss the ongoing UTCCR and Market Study investigations into the banks charging structures and fairness. Budgie and EXC from google attended the meeting this afternoon with the people from the OFT who are running the investigations.

Despite hoping for an announcement early in December, due to the complex issues involved a decision is not now expected until near, or beyond, Christmas. Although it will be as soon as possible. We are seeking clarity from the courts of the claims that are stayed and whether these can be held until such an announcement is made.

The OFT's counsel are working hard on progressing the arguments under regulation 5(1). There is a concern that it will be difficult to litigate on fairness of structure, good faith or cross subsidy under 5(1) without touching on the adequacy of price which has been ruled out by the Supreme Court under regulation 6(2).

Depending on counsels opinion, there is a possiblity of referring directly to the UTCCR greylist from EU directives and taking the case on consumers failing to fulfill an obligation under the contract to keep the account in credit or within an agreed limit. This would however need to go through the high court and be referred to the ECJ, so again would take a long time.

The OFT are committed to resolving the issues as quickly as possible and to achieveing certainty and clarity for consumers, but they have to get it right, and if that takes a little longer at this stage then we are behind them 100%.

We will be opening some discussions on the varying possible outcomes, which are just theoretical. The OFT would like to understand how consumer groups would react to them not taking any further action in litigation and what we would expect to happen, also what would we like to see happen should the OFT continue litigation.

Of course the litigation primarily affects historical charging and thus refunds. It shouldn't affect hardship cases, or the work the OFT and FSA and consumer groups are putting into the future of banking and the PCA market and making it fairer and more transparent for everyone.

We also have been asked to update our response to the Personal Current Account market study report consultation ( ~~~~~seagulls formal response to OFT PCA Market Study Consultation Nov 2008~~~~~~ - Legal seagulls ) to take into account the improvements (or not) since we first submitted it in November 2008.

Much has happened in the way of the financial services bill, new updated guidance, changes to banks terms, the post office bank and so on and so on, so we will be looking for some assistance with this.

Budgie and EXC will be posting further later with more detail and will correct any misconstructions I have made.

The OFT are due to meet with representatives from MoneySavingExpert tomorrow afternoon, counsel for the consumers in the morning, and Stephen Hone on Friday. The Consumer Action Group were unable to attend todays meeting but are hoping to hold a telephone conference later in the week. The groups will be pooling opinions and ideas and working together to take this forward and get your voice heard.

So its not positive, but its not negative either. The OFT WANT to know our opinions and they value consumers views on the way forward.

Look out for some discussion threads over the next day or two and get our voice heard :-)

Marc Gander -bankfodder, I expect.

This is a first- the OFT asking for our views....

Maybe if this had happened 2 1/2 years ago?

Money Saving Martin attended a meeting at the OFT long before the test case, but was ignored/denied bitching rights, if my memory serves me.