This kind of media trash gives benefit recipients a bad name!

impecunious
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4053 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2299927/Sharon-Minkin-refuses-job-better-benefits.html

If this story is true .............. then, hopefully, once the benefit cap comes into force, she'll be well and truly ********.

My children paid their own way through college and university ..... so did I...... and we still have the outstanding student loans to prove it.

She really is taking the biscuit!

Impecunious! :-)

Edited by impecunious

And the children would have to take out student loans to fund their university fees.
Diddums. Most people have to do that. I had one year at uni and my debt stands at over £10k.

Her second child, who is off to university in October, will also have the £9,000 a year fees paid by the taxpayer
Misleading. Some unis do offer a fee waiver for people from low income backgrounds; but nowhere near the £9k.

they getting desperate now, including things like school trips, health care and university fees into figures to inflate.

Ultimately every person these papers find always have children, and the bulk of any financial help given is always child related.

Amazing story - but not surprising, given the unfair benefits system which seems to aid some and penalise others.

Did the DWP take any action over the two jobs she refused, I wonder?

She certainly is taking the biscuit...with her income she can afford to have designer biccies custom-baked for her :)

Assuming this story isn't just totally made up (the Mail has been caught doing that before) then the DWP would not take action if she refused a job. She's on ESA, not JSA.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

I began to wonder the same, but the article says she claims ESA :shock:.

I think this may be another actress story.

Edit: Should have refreshed the page!

Edited by Minibits
Antone beat me to it!!

child allowance? No such benefit!

I think it's a ploy to gather support for IDS cruel and draconian welfare reforms... If we are busy despising ppl on benefits, our eyes will be averted from those who are really shafting us x

scotgal 

It's so easy for sections of the media though because despite the thousands of sensible & needy benefit claimants they could find to highlight what is happening at the moment, it just takes one interview with someone like this creature to totally undermine their argument.

Edited by jabba jones

it does have a tint of fake about it.

also any sane person wouldnt talk to the daily mail.

I did back in 2010! I had just turned 60 in the June 2009 and was fully employed (although had been on the sick for the prevoius 6 months) on a salary of £28500 a year. In November I went into the local jobcentre to question what benefits could I get if I retired. They handed me a whole load of booklets and said that I would lose a lot of money by giving up work.

Reading through them it became fairly apparent that sickness/disability was the way to go. Having used up my SSP, I started to get my full pension, claimed contribution based ESA and was put in the Support Group for 3 years. Then I applied and had my DLA (LRM) upped to HRM & MRC indefinitely. I then had my wife apply for Attendance Allowance (she had just turned 65) with the help of social services. She was awarded the day and night time rate.

My wife and I then claimed Carers Allowance for each other.

Pension Credit came next - with all of the added premiums our total weekly income came to £380 then that went up in 2011 to £400 a week. Plus another £175 a week of DLA and AA.

We pay no Council Tax and we also have £68 a week paid to the bank for our mortgage.

All in all our income was worth about £650 a week. Whereas my wage was about £475 a week!!!

I wrote to the Daily Mail showing them how generous the system was but they refused to print it making a comment in an email to the effect that pensioners are one group of society that require additional help!!

I did back in 2010! I had just turned 60 in the June 2009 and was fully employed (although had been on the sick for the prevoius 6 months) on a salary of £28500 a year. In November I went into the local jobcentre to question what benefits could I get if I retired. They handed me a whole load of booklets and said that I would lose a lot of money by giving up work.

Reading through them it became fairly apparent that sickness/disability was the way to go. Having used up my SSP, I started to get my full pension, claimed contribution based ESA and was put in the Support Group for 3 years. Then I applied and had my DLA (LRM) upped to HRM & MRC indefinitely. I then had my wife apply for Attendance Allowance (she had just turned 65) with the help of social services. She was awarded the day and night time rate.

Pension Credit came next - with all of the added premiums our total weekly income came to £380 then that went up in 2011 to £400 a week. Plus another £175 a week of DLA and AA.

We pay no Council Tax and we also have £68 a week paid to the bank for our mortgage.

All in all our income was worth about £650 a week. Whereas my wage was about £475 a week!!!

I wrote to the Daily Mail showing them how generous the system was but they refused to print it making a comment in an email to the effect that pensioners are one group of society that require additional help!!

That's pretty good huh! That's more income than I get working self employed, with 2 teens in full time education.

That's pretty good huh! That's more income than I get working self employed, with 2 teens in full time education.

As from the 5th April 2013, our total income from sickness/disability/pensioner benefits will amount to £595.05 a week, plus no Council Tax (value £29.34) and a payment direct to the bank for the mortgage of another £69.81 a week.

All in all the equivalent of £694.20 for the two of us a week - the gross equivalent to a salary of £36100pa.

Personally I too think it is disgusting, but the rules and benefits are there for everyone. This ignores the bus passes we have, the cold weather payments, the winter fuel allowance, the Christmas Bonus as well as a myriad of other entitlements that come with these benefits.

My argument is and always has been, no amount of money compensates for disabilities, nor is the majority of the money really needed because of disabilities.

As from the 5th April 2013, our total income from sickness/disability/pensioner benefits will amount to £595.05 a week, plus no Council Tax (value £29.34) and a payment direct to the bank for the mortgage of another £69.81 a week.

All in all the equivalent of £694.20 for the two of us a week - the gross equivalent to a salary of £36100pa.

Personally I too think it is disgusting, but the rules and benefits are there for everyone. This ignores the bus passes we have, the cold weather payments, the winter fuel allowance, the Christmas Bonus as well as a myriad of other entitlements that come with these benefits.

My argument is and always has been, no amount of money compensates for disabilities, nor is the majority of the money really needed because of disabilities.

So, if it's "disgusting" and offends your sensibilities, go get a job.

Or perhaps, more usefully, what would you like to see happen to people like yourself? Clearly you find the current system objectionable, although you have no apparent qualms in taking advantage of it. But if you were the boss man, what would you do?

• Confused 1

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

I wouldn't use the word disgusting. And at the end of the day, you're retired, why should you have to go find work! Some could argue that 'working age' people need those jobs tbh.

Enjoy it is all I can say. It's not often someone on benefits isn't really living in poverty, especially now days...

So, if it's "disgusting" and offends your sensibilities, go get a job.

Or perhaps, more usefully, what would you like to see happen to people like yourself? Clearly you find the current system objectionable, although you have no apparent qualms in taking advantage of it. But if you were the boss man, what would you do?

Thanks, but there is no need to be so off hand with me. Why would i want to go back to work when I retired from a well paid job and have turned down others since? I think that 44 years of working without a break (other than by way of sickness) does entitle me to some time for myself now.

The reason I made those comments is that I cannot understand why the government allows premiums (enhanced disability premium) to compensate for disabilities as well as compensating for those same disabilities through DLA and AA.

I have made my views known many times, that throwing more and more money at people who have disabilities like my wife and I have, would seem to make them go away?

What would I do? For means tested benefits I would stop all premiums if another benefit has already been awarded that compensates for those same conditions giving rise to those premiums.

My wife and I claim what we do because we can and we are entitled much the same as everybody else in this country. What would being a martyr achieve? But that doesn't make it right. Personally, I believe that no one should be any better off on benefits, no matter where they come from, than they would be if they were working in their normal job. For us I would happily take a reduction in income to match what I was previously earning. unfortunately you can't do that. It's all or nothing.

I wouldn't use the word disgusting. And at the end of the day, you're retired, why should you have to go find work! Some could argue that 'working age' people need those jobs tbh.

Enjoy it is all I can say. It's not often someone on benefits isn't really living in poverty, especially now days...

Oh take no notice. Imo this poster is just trying to stir things up like many have tried before him.

Come to think of it maybe he'd be better off posting on Moneysavings expert forums as juding by his input on here he'll find tones of like minded people over there. :)

• Confused 1

Have you followed his input on the other threads? He comes across as a troll imo, and I don't seem to be the only one to see it that way judging by the mods comments on the subject.

If he's not then colour me surprised and I apologize. :)

Edited by sadone

I'm confused, why is someone a trouble maker if they state in their opinion they receive too much benefits? Or is it not really possible to receive that many benefits. I don't get it :???:

have you seen his posts on the atos and benefit forums?

I was going to say thats because of pension age.

When we have papers picking and choosing what to print, possibly lieing (we know the other month they printed fake story), then putting words in to manipulate readers views its clear the press needs regulating but people will cry free speech.

A friend of mine had an argument with a journalist on another forum about a previous story, and the journalist pretty much said its ok to speculate on stories, and considers blocking of speculation as a block of free speech, so there we have it modern journalism = speculating.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4053 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks