• Tweets

• Thank you to you all, you guys are amazing!! Yes of course i will be making a donation, i am very grateful to you all. Keep up the good work
    • I'm not quite out of the woods yet. The email they sent me also said that I have £290 of arrears and it has been passed onto their collections department. If anything my account should be £10 in credit.  They haven't taken into account the trainers that were returned back in October. The other items have been credited to my account so it looks like I've still got work to do.  They are not very quick to reply to emails, although I've only sent one trying to find more information, and I have no idea what happens next. Half of me want's to get it sorted properly the other half just wants it over with, if that means a default then so be it. 
    • No. It's a public (council maintained) road with some houses in it.   Some other houses back onto it too and those owners have right of way down the road to access the back of their properties.  Theres a few garages with private osp - so one drives out the garage, over the osp, and onto the public side road and then out on to the public main road.  Irrespective of whether the garages are used - the local businesses parking their cars on the private osp are ostensibly preventing cars from accessing the public roads.
    • is the side street solely for access to your garages? who owns the land and thus the road? dx  
    • A local business has been parking on an off-street parking space in front of my garages (in a side street).  I wasn't using them for a while so didnt bother to do anything.  But now a second local business is also using the osp - taking it in turns with the 1st biz.  This has started to nark me.    The employees choose to drive to work.  There is no private parking in their business's street.  But there are some underground secure garages in their street - which cost apx £2.4k/y to rent - which works out apx £6.60/d. (I believe one of the biz owners already rent one for storage purposes).  If the employee had to park on a meter it would cost them £6.60/h - £66 for 10h and have to move every 4h.  They just don't want to pay for parking. I haven't confronted either of them.  Instead I just put 2 clear "no parking" signs in front of the garages. And a note on one of the cars specifically saying that as they don't live or rent in the street and it's private land could they stop parking.   They ignored that.  And just put notes on their dash with a # to call if one needs the car moved.  There is a sign and they've been told in writing to stop parking. And they are just ignoring it.    I don't what a confrontation.    I don't want to go to the expense of bollards (other than maybe traffic plastic ones - but they'll probs just move them).  Council won't do zilch cos it's private land. And police won't get involved - unless I clamp/ tow the cars and then they'd be after me, not the drivers!    What's the best thing to do?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

NCO Europe KEEP calling!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5555 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've just had another of their wonderful cards through the door from a P. Edwards, who apparently is going to be calling Tuesday (tomorrow). What a surprise that is. I'll await his visit then.

I've just contacted the debt management company who are dealing with my debts about this matter as NCO are claiming they've had no contact from them. Funny how they've been rejecting the offers of repayment then isn't it? They're asking for 14 times more than they are being offered. I've been advised that the Student Loans company whom the debt is with are not in the habit of taking people to court, so I'll continue to ignore their phone calls.

I have just written a letter to NCO threatening to take legal action should they contact me again, however, unfortnately the debt management company have advised me that they are legally entitled to call me up to 3 times per day, and are also legally entitled to have at least 1 telephone number for me. Is this correct? I thought it was more like 3 times per week or month.

I might still send the letter however, as I'm also requesting they send me a log of all calls they've made to me. I'm considering maybe putting a line in there that if I don't receive this within 7 days Mr ?? will be calling at their address on Tuesday between 9am -9pm.

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just had another of their wonderful cards through the door from a P. Edwards, who apparently is going to be calling Tuesday (tomorrow). What a surprise that is. I'll await his visit then. You and the hundreds of other people up and down the country that P Edwards has promised to visit today. Busy Man:rolleyes:

I've just contacted the debt management company who are dealing with my debts about this matter as NCO are claiming they've had no contact from them. Funny how they've been rejecting the offers of repayment then isn't it? They're asking for 14 times more than they are being offered. I've been advised that the Student Loans company whom the debt is with are not in the habit of taking people to court, so I'll continue to ignore their phone calls.

I have just written a letter to NCO threatening to take legal action should they contact me again, however, unfortnately the debt management company have advised me that they are legally entitled to call me up to 3 times per day, and are also legally entitled to have at least 1 telephone number for me. Is this correct? I thought it was more like 3 times per week or month. The law does not specify how many times a DCA can ring you. If you feel threatened or harrarsed or the calls cause you alarm then an offence has been committed. You have a right to demand that everything be in writing between you and the DCA for the avoidance of doubt

I might still send the letter however, as I'm also requesting they send me a log of all calls they've made to me. I'm considering maybe putting a line in there that if I don't receive this within 7 days Mr ?? will be calling at their address on Tuesday between 9am -9pm.

Let the DMP argue with NCO. Should they be foolish enough to go to Court then their refusal to negotiate will be taken into consideration by a judge.

You know, it would be REALLY REALLY useful to have a template Particulars of claim for damages under the Protection from Harassment Act.

Omen- out of interest (compounded @28.7%, of course ;) ) have you had any £20 charges added to your debt by SLC?

You do realise that if you have, you can reclaim every penny of them, plus interest?

I did.

Peed on both NCO's and SLC's bonfires, I can tell you.

"unfortnately the debt management company have advised me that they are legally entitled to call me up to 3 times per day, "

Really?

Write back to them and ask them to quote the statute which give them "legal entitlement" to ring you 3 times a day.

(There isnt any, they are lying to you)

There is, however, statute law which gives you a right to claim damages if you are harassed more than twice...

Oh and by the way, you will be disappointed if you are expecting to meet P.Edwards.

Keep the card as evidence of harassment.

Write to SLC telling them you want a list of all charges debited to you account, telling them that you are disputing the total amount owed on the grounds that it contains unlawfully applied and thus unenforceable penalty charges. Also send NCO a request for a true copy of the original credit agreement under s.77 and the Consumer Credit Act.

(Look for the Consumer Credit Act thread on these forums and have a very good read of it, posting questions as to what it means. You will be pleasantly suprised.)

Then, when you have a list of charges, start a claim for a court order to remove all unlawful charges from the debt.

ODC - thanks for the link. It seems to me that the fact they are lying as an excuse to call (ie. saying that they've had no contact or letter of authority from the debt management company, when they've actually been rejecting offers of repayment through them) says to me that they know they are in the wrong.

noomill060 - I've had loads of charges from Student Loans, and quite a few off the other companies I owe money to. The problem I've had claiming it back is the lack of funds to pay for the statements, and I also don't have a cheque book with my bank and so can't send them a cheque anyway. However, I'm nearing the end of a project that I'm doing in my spare time which will pay enough to pay towards the debts and also pay for all the statements, so I'll be claiming all the charges back shortly. Thanks for the advice.

StoneLaugter - unfortunately the debt management company are getting the majority of my disposable income at the moment, and with about 6 companies to write to its going to come to about £60.

I'm going to be writing to them after christmas though, and hopefully will get a lot more than the £60 back.

"unfortnately the debt management company have advised me that they are legally entitled to call me up to 3 times per day, "

Really?

Write back to them and ask them to quote the statute which give them "legal entitlement" to ring you 3 times a day.

(There isnt any, they are lying to you)

There is, however, statute law which gives you a right to claim damages if you are harassed more than twice...

I can confirm that asking DCAs to confirm which statute law they rely upon to tell you that they can legally ring x times/day is an excellent tactic. You will have to be persistent, however, as they will generally try to ignore the question. I always add a complaint about OFT guidelines and deceitful/misleading statements for good measure.

A common excuse is that 'it's an automated system' - this may be contravening OFCOM's regs, however.

Hi everybody. This site is fantastic, loads of good advise. Well done!

I wondered if you'd mind me sharing my NCO Europe story as this company is clearly a joke! Apologies if I bore anyone in the process....

Anyway, here goes -

I was on the phone last week paying my monthly (agreed) payment of 50 quid the other day to Capital One and all was fine. Two days ago I got home and there was a (mailed) calling card posted through the door which stated -

"I will be calling between 9am and 9pm tomorrow, Tuesday 18th Dec."

Regards

P. Edwards NCO Europe Group

So, I rang the number and asked them who the hell they were and this chap called told me that they were dealing with a financial issue of mine. I said I don't have any issues thanks. He states that Capital One had decided to sell my debt on to NCO Europe and that "a representative would be calling tomorrow to collect the full balance of £6,000. Therefore you do have an issue, sir."

I told him I would get back to him as the first thing I wanted to do was contact Cap One. Which I did. I asked why they had gone back on their agreement of £50.00 a month, the chap on the phone told me that "the six month agreement is just a temporary solution and Capital One will often sell your debt to a collection agency, without notice."

So I called Sunny back and said I had confirmation from Cap One that his agency were now dealing with my payments and he said "ok, I just need to ask some questions."

After a few ordinary questions, he told me that I had to tell him my monthly income. I declined and also pointed out that I was happy to carry on paying £50 a month until my circumstances changed. He said he'd be happy to take the £50 a month but I first had to tell him how much I earned a month, because, and I quote -

"Look sir, if you get paid £1,000 a month, and your outgoings are £600, that means there is £400 that you should pay to us."

I told him very politely to join me in the real world for a moment and stated again that I would be able to give him £50 per month.

It doesn't make much difference at this point but I was planning, in the new year, to up my payments significantly that I was making to Cap One as I really don't want this debt hanging around (and 50 at quid a month it would of course take 10 years to clear) but now I don;t know what the hell is going on!

After he told me for the 20th time that he'd be happy to take 50 quid a month, once I told him how much I earned, I informed him that he was actually telling me he would not take £50 a month. This didn't go down well and he got shirty -

Chap - "Have I said once in this conversation said that I wouldn't take the £50 per month sir?"

Me - "Yes"

Chap - "Explain how sir."

Me - "You will not take the £50 pounds a month until I tell you how much I earn. I am not going to tell you how much I earn, therefore you will not accept the £50"

Chap - "............well, yes."

We went round like this for 10 minutes or so, at which point I was reading up about NCO Europe on this very forum. It turns out that they have no field staff, meaning the calling cards that they post through the door demanding full payments to a burley bailiff the next day, are fakes, no one will ever come to your door. This causes a great deal of worry but is apparently legal.

Even though I didn't raise this issue with the guy, I continued to refuse to tell him my income which sent him into a tutting frenzy and he then asked if I'd rather speak to his manager. I declined. I asked him to send me the documentation surrounding my account and was told that NCO do not send out letters. I told him that was rubbish. He said it wasn't rubbish at all. He asked me to post a letter containing a breakdown of my income and expenditure (this is great) but -

"This will need to be with us by Friday and due to the Xmas post, there is no guarantee that it will get here. Therefore, sir, I require a "token" payment from you today."

After laughing for a good 20 seconds, I told him that there was not a hope in hell that I was either posting him a letter or giving him a token payment.

He tutted again and told me in a very meek voice that he would be sending ME a letter explaining the status of my account (whatever that means) and put the phone down on me.

As you can imagine I was left extremely confused! :confused:

I'm not entirely sure which way forward is best in my current situation. I offered to continue the agreed payment that I had with Cap One but they refused it due to me not telling them my income, and this letter they are sending me, what's it going to contain?

I know I can find the answers to a number of my questions within the posts already on this forum I just thought my experience with them was valid enough to request a bit of advice.....

Thanks all.

R.

We went round like this for 10 minutes or so, at which point I was reading up about NCO Europe on this very forum. It turns out that they have no field staff, meaning the calling cards that they post through the door demanding full payments to a burley bailiff the next day, are fakes, no one will ever come to your door. This causes a great deal of worry but is apparently legal.

On the contrary - I think that that is almost certainly not legal - and will amount to harassment. As they have no field staff the only purpose of those cards is to cause anxiety - and that is harassment - contrary to the Administration of Justice act and the Protection from Harassment Act.

I recently had an issue with NCO (in my case over money I did not owe - it was an error by Orange). I firstly complained to Orange and then when it continued took court action against Orange - that worked, they agreed to "write off" the debt and paid costs and compensation.

Cap One don't hold enforceable agreements. To keep NCO quiet I would send them a CCA Letter with a £1.00 p./o recorded delivery. DO NOT SIGN LETTER. They have 12 working days + 2 to provide you with a copy of the signed agreement after which time they are in default and no monies need be paid, after a further 30 days they have committed a summary offence which you can report to TS, FOS, OFT and uncle tom cobbley and all.

The letter you need is Letter N in the General Debt templates letter.

I've already gone down this route with them and finished up complaining to Lancashire Trading Standards. NCO handed the debt back to the original creditor. Heard nothing further from NCO. It will also put you in a stronger negotiating position should you wish to pay it off.

Raz,

best option here is to send a section 78 request for a copy of the original credit agreement (I would be inclined to send one to both Cap One and NCO)

If the agreement is up to the standard I (and most people on here) have received you will more than likely be in a position to take action against them

If I can be of further assistance feel free to PM me

omnia praesumuntur legitime facta donec probetur in contrarium

Please note: I am not a member of the legal profession, all advice given is purely my opinion, if in doubt consult a professional

Standard advice is never to speak to these creatures on the phone. It can be amusing, but talking to morons eventually becomes tiresome.

NCO do write letters, in my experience - if you make a formal complaint. Just don't expect any sort of sensible response - I have one handwritten comp slip from them which looked as if the writer would have been more comfortable with a crayon.

First NEVER talk to these "people" on the phone as they will try and get you to agree to anything.

Before you even think about making any sort of acknowledgement or payment to a DCA you MUST ensure that they have the LEGAL right to collect the debt.

This is achieved by requesting a copy of the Signed, Executed Credit Agreement via a Consumer Credit Act (CCA) request.

There is a template letter to be found here: Creditors and DCAs - Letter Templates & Budget Planner

Letter N.

Is it important to start the letter:

I DO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE ANY DEBT TO YOUR COMPANY in Big Bold letters.

It is best to send this request via recorded/special delivery as there are some inportant deadlines to observe.

After 12 WORKING days the "debt" is in default and stays that way until the request is complied with.

If a FURTHER month passes then the DCA has committed a summary criminal offence and the matter should be referred to Trading Standards for action once the DCA continues to demand payment.

I believe NCO use different pretend names on their postcard threat-o-grams for different perposes and different clients at different stages in their harassment campaigns.

I've seen:

P.Brown used for Paypal

P.Green used for Student Loans

P.Edwards used for Cap One

Any more for any more?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5555 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks