Me and My Various Benefit Claims and issues

Jmulv
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2389 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi question guys,

I've been claiming housing benefit since last year, all has been normal up until recently. JSA basically had my wrong address on their system for ages now Leeds council have suspended my claim asking for statements from the last year (when I moved in basically). They seem to think I've been committing benefit fraud because jsa screwed up.

Now I'm worried having to supply such a LARGE volume of statements. To make it clear I have not been working or earning anything.

However.... I have had income coming into my account, not regularly but very occasionally I had a large sum of money I borrowed off my mom to pay a friend back (£2000). Purely the money that came in was from a family member and any money that was outgoing (Aside from bills) was too the friend that I owed.

Then there were something like 3-4 payments of £50 from my mum helping me out because I was very low on money (life saver).

now what will Leeds council say when they see this? I'm worried they will try and say I've received an income and cut my housing benefit / order me to pay some back when genuinely none of that money has gone into my own pocket only in and out. If that happens I am totally screwed. My account is literally almost empty now because I haven't received payments while my claim has been suspended.

So what is classed as income?

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If they raise any queries, then you would simply ask your Mum to provide a letter advising that it was a gift/loan.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

If they raise any queries, then you would simply ask your Mum to provide a letter advising that it was a gift/loan.

That's what I was thinking, it's all clear on my statements who it's come from no income from anywhere aside my mum (which is says her name on the statement), and then payments out to the friend I had debt with. That is it.

Just wondering what all of you are thinking about UC?

From the start I have not believe one bit of **** talking by the government claiming UC was to "make things simpler, to save money, to make the process more streamlined and pay job seekers monthly like a real job"

I believe those are all just outrights lies and there is more to this system than they are letting on, such as bringing in part time workers under JSA sanction regimes and trying to put them onto workfare.

Also post any links to useful information about UC.

Duncan smith has gone very quiet since the introduction of Universal Credit

Do we have any updates yet on the sucess or failure of this program

Or will the usual "Teething Problems" be blamed again?

Digital by default was dropped recently. I've read that no-one at all claimed UC on the first day it was made available in one sole JC+. The idea it'll be ready to be rolled out anywhere by October is manifest nonsense. I don't think it'll happen, it's a half-baked idea that's served its purpose in that it briefly got IDS into the headlines as The Great Reformer and he can always blame the Treasury not stumping up the necessary funding for its complete collapse.

Digital by default was dropped recently. I've read that no-one at all claimed UC on the first day it was made available in one sole JC+. The idea it'll be ready to be rolled out anywhere by October is manifest nonsense. I don't think it'll happen, it's a half-baked idea that's served its purpose in that it briefly got IDS into the headlines as The Great Reformer and he can always blame the Treasury not stumping up the necessary funding for its complete collapse.

I really hope you are right and it does not get implemented.

UC will cost jobs if it's implemented, feedback from directors of small companies that employ a couple of staff have said some will go back to being sole traders because of the live link with HMRC (if that ever works, which is doubtful), the cost implications of spending time inputting data for the tax man makes the whole thing impractical.

Digital by default might be a snappy title, but the practicalities of getting such a system up and running are overwhelmingly difficult, IDS knows this however the man is in denial as usual. Notwithstanding the large percentage of 'customers' that either don't have or can't use a computer.

The PCS union is up in arms at the prospect of up to 40% of their own workforce facing sanctions by their own colleagues under UC, they might get listened to unlike the hordes of JSA claimants consigned to weeks of sanctions over petty rule breaking.

Calling UC a train-wreck would be an understatement.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

How many self employed people are now going to have to give up their jobs because they don't earn enough?

In theory, it is a good idea to simplify the benefits system; but I don't like the way this is going.

How many self employed people are now going to have to give up their jobs because they don't earn enough?

In theory, it is a good idea to simplify the benefits system; but I don't like the way this is going.

Hopefully, once my business plan is signed off, I'll be eligible for NEA at beginning of next month ............... Hope I get a chance to develop my self-employment before I have to give to up cos I can't earn enough money!!!

Imp :-)

NEA Hmm I've been following a thread about that on the MSE forum, if the experiences posted there are anything to go by the scheme is not all it's cracked up to be.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

It can't get implemented, it doesn't exist! It's ust a lot of ideas strung together with no thought given to how they might work in practice.

Oh It'll get implemented alright. IDS/Cameron won't won't to loose face If It's doesn't. The whole things gone too far now in the planning stages to say nothing of the massive amount of the publics cash that they've squandered on it so far and so ready or not they're going to role it out.

Probably slower then planned, but it will go out.

It's just the poor sods who will have to use it that will suffer. The whole idea is just appalling. :(

Just wondering what all of you are thinking about UC?

As you can expect on this forum, we love it.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

what I think of UC:

The idea of having a single benefit is a good idea - unfortunately, that isn't what UC is, other benefits still need to be claimed separately.

The idea of a digital by default system with live link ups between employers and the HMRC - the government couldn't even get an integrated NHS computer system up and running, which is a simpler proposition than the IT requirements of fully functional UC.

Like PIP, I believe UC to be a way to reduce benefits under cover of 'improving the system' - it hits self employed, some carers and some of the disabled pretty badly, puts pressure on part timers to work more hours and disadvantages those with poor or absent IT skills, it sets in place unpleasant conditionalities on entitlement.

Oh, deja vu, I think I've posted something like this before....or maybe said it to someone...I dunno, seriously out of it today.

Edited by estellyn

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Quick question to all of you who have had the wonderful experience of being bullied to register on this website I've got some points that need clearing up.

I went into JSA today and saw a different advisor, normally they don't mention anything about my job search or universal job match. Today I was told by a different advisor randomly I need to broaden my job search to apply for any jobs as I've been on JSA a while including any jobs I can find like cleaning etc. Now I'm not trying to be an ass here and pretend I'm too good for anything however the jobs I'm applying for are what I have experience in sales/admin etc. so I'm not about to just randomly apply for a job firstly I have no experience in and I don't even want to do...

I'm under the impression you only have to apply for jobs listed on your jobseekers agreement and apply x times a week. I was then told oh you have to sign up for universal job match too and tick the boxes to give us access to your account (now I'm aware you DON'T have to give them access to your account) but of course she makes no mention of this. Seems the DWP are starting to play dirty tactics not telling you things are not mandatory. Am I wrong here? The letter even says "it is PREFERABLE if you give us access to your UJ account" I don't see mandatory anywhere... basically all I've been doing is using a job journal as normal writing company name I applied for and position and it's been fine with my other advisor.

So how have you guys handled this? I have good social acuity so I usually just talk my way out of situations and bull**** they feed me and I'm too aware to fall for their crapp, ingeus tried the same thing making me sign a data protection waiver.

I feel bad for people who are less clued up and fall for these underhanded tactics...

Generally UJ isn't really that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things, however in my life having a basic understanding of legal rights I NEVER EVER sign anything or agree to anything I don't need too and to be honest it's a very good rule of thumb. Even if whatever it is I'm signing may be harmless.

Edit: Also just noticed the massive UJ thread, stupid me not keeping an eye out, however my questions are pretty specific so it'd be good to get some tailored responses.

Thanks

In the beginning, I had a fairly open JSAg, but limited the available hours to Mon-Sat 9:00AM-6:00PM and stated "Could not work with chemicals, food, or children/public for medical reasons". Never divulged the "medical reason", but it kept me away from having to apply for any cleaning jobs - On the one occasion one was pointed out, I asked about chemicals exposure risk, and the vacancy was quietly dropped.

Quite how this would work in the current stricter compliance regime being imposed by the DWP, I'm not sure. But it may be worth going back to your JSAg and renegotiating it if you can.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

In the beginning, I had a fairly open JSAg, but limited the available hours to Mon-Sat 9:00AM-6:00PM and stated "Could not work with chemicals, food, or children/public for medical reasons". Never divulged the "medical reason", but it kept me away from having to apply for any cleaning jobs - On the one occasion one was pointed out, I asked about chemicals exposure risk, and the vacancy was quietly dropped.

Quite how this would work in the current stricter compliance regime being imposed by the DWP, I'm not sure. But it may be worth going back to your JSAg and renegotiating it if you can.

Yeah seems they are getting really strict, but I'm unsure how it's really going to help anyone anyway.... also the tactics of not informing claimants is really bad. I can't quite believe this is a government department and it's a total shambles, ingeus are no better saying that though.

Once you have been claiming for a period of 6 months you are expected to open your job search further and look at other types of employment, once you get to work program then yes you are required to apply for any vacancy that you are qualified and capable of doing.

Once you have been claiming for a period of 6 months you are expected to open your job search further and look at other types of employment, once you get to work program then yes you are required to apply for any vacancy that you are qualified and capable of doing.

What form does that information take? I have only ever been following my job seekers agreement, and no other advisor has ever said anything aside this one. I mean I may be back to my usual advisor next week so it'll be interesting to see what she says.

Ingeus also never made me just apply for anything.

• 2 months later...

I've recently moved JSA offices due to moving house and have been assigned a new advisor. I don't feel particularly comfortable dealing with her as she seems to get personally involved and throws sanctions threats around willy nilly rather then actually helping me.

I was recently made to go on a ''opportunity'' as she put it with capita in which they interview for a place and if you pass they train you for a few weeks and offer you a job interview at the end. She told me it was mandatory to attend which I later found out was not. On the following advisor meeting she told me I did not get a place resulting in her getting really ****ed off and threatening me with more sanctions, saying she would investigate it further with the interviewers acting as if messed up the interview on purpose or something.

She also lied and tried to force me to sign up to UJM and told me I could be sanctioned if I didn't give her access.... which of course was a total lie. She's just getting worse as well and seems determined to sanction me for no reason?

I always bring in evidence I've applied for jobs print off of emails etc. But she purposely on the spot constantly and makes me feel uncomfortable for no reason.

Has anyone had any similar experiences? also is it possible to change JSA advisors and how would I do it?

Or any further advice on what to do such as writing a letter of complaint or something?

Thanks

my personal experience is all these advisers are like that,you could try complaining but chances are the next one would be as bad,just go along with her

I've had other advisors before in fact a few different ones and NONE of them have been like this at all. She was off sick the other week as well and I had a different advisor then again and they were totally fine.