• Tweets

• Hello all,   I ordered a laptop online about 16 months ago. The laptop was faulty and I was supposed to send it back within guarantee but didn't for various reasons. I contacted the company a few months later and they said they will still fix it for me free of charge but I'd have to pay to send it to them and they will pay to send it back to me. The parcel arrived there fine. Company had fixed it and they sent it via dpd. I was working in the office so I asked my neighbours who would be in, as there's been a history of parcel thefts on our street. I had 2 neighbours who offered but when I went to update delivery instructions, their door number wasn't on the drop down despite sharing the same post code.  I then selected a neighbour who I thought would likely be in and also selected other in the safe place selection and put the number of the neighbour who I knew would definitely be in and they left my parcel outside and the parcel was stolen. DPD didn't want to deal with me and said I need to speak to the retailer. The retailer said DPD have special instructions from them not to leave a parcel outside unless specified by a customer. The retailer then said they could see my instructions said leave in a safe space but I have no porch. My front door just opens onto the road and the driver made no attempt to conceal it.  Anyway, I would like to know if I have rights here because the delivery wasn't for an item that I just bought. It was initially delivered but stopped working within the warranty period and they agreed to fix it for free.  Appreciate your help 🙏🏼   Thanks!
    • As the electric carmaker sees sales fall and cuts jobs, we take a closer look at its problems.View the full article
    • Care to briefly tell someone who isn't tech savvy - i.e. me! - how you did this? Every day is a school day.
    • Hi Guys, well a year on and my friend has just received this in the post today, obviously a little scared so looking for more of your advice.  Letter from the NCC dated 1-May-2024 is as follows.......   Before deputy district judge Haythorne sitting at the national business centre, 4th floor st Kathrine's house Northampton Upon reading an application from the claimant  it is ordered that  1. The claim be sent to the county court at #### (Friends local Court) Because this order has been made without a hearing, the parties have the right to apply to have the order set aside, varied or stayed.  A party making such an application must send or deliver the application to the court (together with any appropriate fee) to arrive within seven days of service of this order.  If the application is one which requires a hearing, and a) the party making the application is the defendant: and b) the defendant is an individual, then upon filing of the application the claim will be transferred to the defendants home court.  In all other cases requiring a hearing the claim will be transferred to the preferred court.    As a result of an order made on the 1 May 2024, this claim has been transferred to the county court at ##### (friends local court) 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2847 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I think this has been massively over-complicated, due to problems getting the OPs story right, no ones at fault, it happen when you try and advise at a distance.

Please correct me if I am wrong , but this was the first and only letter you have received from any bailiff, is that correct ?

The mention of sending the notice back was because they knew there was nothing to levy and they wanted to be at enforcement stage before it went back, in order to give you chance to pay.

In your first post you said that the ammount owed was on the letter, this is confused in latter posts, but it would have been the ammount owed and the compliance fee.

I suggest that there was only one bailiff company and the account was returned in the first instance and then it was given back to the same agent when they got a lead on the debtors details.

So now we are at a stage where the debt is on the verge of being sent back again or has been sent back.

Is any of this right or is it all in correct ?

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes this was the first letter I have received.

Sorry I must of made a typo in my first post, where to letter said balance owed, it was letf blank as was the date.

I says nothing about not being able to levy. I will find my previous post and copy it in after I post this.

Everything else is right, i think. Except the fact that the letter was not addressed to my company it was addressed to a company around the corner from me.

Exact wording of letter received.

The exact wording of the letter is this

Final Notice: Council Tax Arrears

An Enforcement Agent (bailiff) has visited you home again today.

Your possessions are now at risk of being REMOVED.

Despite numver attempts to contact you we have still not received satisfactory response about you Council Tax Arrears

An Enforcement Agent (bailiff) has visited you home again today to take control of your goods and remove them for sale.

If you debt is not settled within 7 days of the date above, we will return your case with one of the following recommendations

Attachment of Earnings - taking the funds from you at source

Bankrupcy - this will affect your credit rating

Charging order on your property - your could be forced to sell you home

Commital - you could go to prison

FAILURE TO CONTACT US WILL BE TAKEN AS YOUR REFUSAL TO PAY.

They did not visit my home that day and did not leave a copy of this letter at my home address.

Ok so we can safely assume(I think )that this was a visit to deliver the notice of enforcment, not an enforcment visit.

So where are we now ?

The seven days have gone past and there has been no other visit, and now the debt has been passed back to the council, is this correct ?

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

It may not affect the stage at which we are with this letter, but originally you stated:

"they say that this enforcement went out to another company August 2015!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. However they sent it back to the council last month saying they could not contact me. How is this possible I have had cars parked outside my house, I have been living in the house, but have heard nothing at all from any bailiff company before. Wouldn't they have taken my cars? Anyway they then instructed EA to make an attempt at my place of work. They admit the business address error, but don't know why it happened."

This clearly suggests this is the second enforcement company, though you don't recall receiving anything from the first company at all, possibly because they could not find you. This is very odd given you state quite clearly there have been cars parked outside the property on which council tax enforcement was targeted.

Is the issue of a second enforcement company correct (it may reflect what is likely as the next step)?

Can you shed any light on them not being able to find your house, for which this debt is payable, and outside which cars are parked?

Finally, are you accepting the bailiff's fees (£75 or £235)? If so, then all of us here will be pulling in exactly the same direction.

Okay, in the absence of any response, I'm going to agree with DB that this is being overcomplicated. I can't see anything that out of the ordinary with this, and would still favour the advice given in the second half of this post I made two or three days ago:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?466946-Can-an-enforcement-agent-visit-my-Limited-Company-premises-for-my-personal-council-tax-arrears&p=4921839&viewfull=1#post4921839

No problem. I still agree with DB that it's being overcomplicated. Basically you admit to owing it, they want it, so I refer you back to the second half of post 123[removed] the substance of the second half of the post is still good).

Edited by honeybee13
Off topic comment removed.

That is what I was going to do, as soon as I have confirmation from the council that it has been returned to them. I am going to pay £50 a week on their payment site if they do not accept a repayment plan.

£200 a month is a good offer, I cannot see why you would not offer this initially, for the sake of £75 and to save all the subsequent disturbance. I am not sure how you will go with this, but keep us posted.

Ok, the council have started the process of enforcement from scratch.

It seems that they didn't just have the wrong details for my business address they had my wrong home address as well. And the amount was wrong. It is 1104, which is half the amount they told me last week.

So today I have received a letter from the same bailiffs as visited last week, starting the process from scratch, with a letter saying i have 31 days to pay or contact them to arrange payment. After that they will start to visit and add charges. If I had this in the first place I would of offered them a payment plan of £200, but I didn't know about it until last week, with the final notice.

£200 a month is a good offer, I cannot see why you would not offer this initially, for the sake of £75 and to save all the subsequent disturbance. I am not sure how you will go with this, but keep us posted.

I didn't offer it because I didn't know about it. As I have stated I received no letters at home. I was unaware of it all until last week, when they sent the bailiff the wrong company address after me. It seems either the council or the bailiffs got the details wrong.

Yes, I am going to sort that out tomorrow afternoon as I am off work.

What is worrying is how they went about all this, everyone around my business premises now know the details of this. I am sstill going to persue the data protection breach though.

If it were me I would be contacting my local Councillor(s) and creating in the hope they may knock some off. Not forgetting the fact they have sent it staright to Bailiffs without an opportunity to formulate a payment proposal first. At worst the Council can be accused of mismanagement and should offer at least an apology.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi

sorry i dint know this was ongoing.

Yes I think they should be brought to task for enforcing the previous action when they had not even sent you the original 7 day letter(at least not to your address.

It seems that enforcement when a order is returned can be seamless, in effect the next EA can enforce under a new power within seconds.

The reason is a technical one and probably of no interest on this thread.

Anyway you have the chance now to make your offer to the bailiff and get them off your back.

As said a few times already your fees will be capped at £75 as long as you act before the 7 day limit. That means that all your original £50 payment will go towards them and half your second, after that all your payments will come off your debt.

Good luck DB

Ok, the council have started the process of enforcement from scratch.

It seems that they didn't just have the wrong details for my business address they had my wrong home address as well. And the amount was wrong. It is 1104, which is half the amount they told me last week.

So today I have received a letter from the same bailiffs as visited last week, starting the process from scratch, with a letter saying i have 31 days to pay or contact them to arrange payment. After that they will start to visit and add charges. If I had this in the first place I would of offered them a payment plan of £200, but I didn't know about it until last week, with the final notice.

Hi Whitsend,

Sorry, I've only just seen this as I've been rather unwell.

Frankly this beggars belief. and I would most certainly involve my Councillor in this, as Ploddertom suggested. To be honest, you were ready to put a repayment plan on the table, the council messed up in a monumental way, even breaching the DPA. Now, overnight, they do a complete U-turn, give you an entirely different amount to pay, tell you that they had the wrong home address - does that mean letters were sent to that address and visits carried out to that address, all in your name? Possibly someone else, wholly innocent, has had a car clamped or something - Who knows?

While I think you should agree your repayment plan with the bailiffs just to start getting this repaid, I think also you have a very strong cause for an official complaint to the council, in which, as part of the resolution, you should ask for the account to be taken back in-house and all enforcement fees removed. Hopefully your Councillor will support you with this.

Are you sure they are stating the Enforcement Stage is now 31 days long (as opposed to the normal 7)? You also state after that they will start to add charges - are you implying there have been no charges so far, or did you mean they will start adding further charges?

They have made an absolute pig's ear of handling your account. Potentially they have shared your data and your financial problems with goodness only knows how many people. They got your debt totally wrong (are you absolutely sure there is not a second LO still to be added to this?) It would be hard to find anything they have done correctly - yet still they think it appropriate to set bailiffs on you!

Please seek clarification to these questions, involve your Councillor and complain bitterly to your council. They have messed up significantly and you deserve better than they seem to be delivering currently.

You've sent the SAR already - that should make very interesting reading. Time to complain methinks!

it does say in red bold typing that I have 31 days, is this perhaps because of my complaint. They are using the same bailiffs who were giving me 7 days last week and no payment plan.

It is for last year, they haven't got a liability order for this years as I have been paying, usually late but still paying.

The information I was given over the telephone was incorrect. When I queried by phone today, I was told "now we have your correct address we are able to give you the correct account information". What does that mean, they made it sound as if it was my fault that they did not have my correct home address or business address. I do feel sorry for whoevers door they have been knocking on.

it does say in red bold typing that I have 31 days, is this perhaps because of my complaint. They are using the same bailiffs who were giving me 7 days last week and no payment plan.

It is for last year, they haven't got a liability order for this years as I have been paying, usually late but still paying.

The information I was given over the telephone was incorrect. When I queried by phone today, I was told "now we have your correct address we are able to give you the correct account information". What does that mean, they made it sound as if it was my fault that they did not have my correct home address or business address. I do feel sorry for whoevers door they have been knocking on.

Yes, still at least now you have ample opportunity to make a good offer, they will requires some kind of payment when you make your offer, anything you pay will come off the ammount outstanding and the more you pay the more likely they are to agree it.

Personalty I would have thought with the council admitting they had the wrong address, it should be brought back one step further

Obviously Witsend .did not even know about the LO

Council incompetence

why should it even be with the EA after the admission.

I agree with you Leakie. The council have been totally incompetent, and they have admitted their shortcomings.

£75 for a Compliance Fee is a lot of money - a vast amount of money (to me at least). If Whitsend is struggling with this years CT, paying it late usually, but paying it nevertheless, applying fees to the debt is not going to help, and why should they when, by their own admission, they have not had the right address.

Whose address have they had? What has happened to those people, did they have bailiffs?

This is more serious to my mind than saying, "Ah well, at least now I can give them an extra £75 and sort out a payment plan." I did state Whitsend should agree a repayment plan (and ensure she sticks rigidly to it, as bailiffs do not give a days leaway). However, I think she has significant cause to complain to the council, and given they admit not having the right address, push it all the way to the LGO if necessary.

I reiterate, it is important she agrees a plan now though, so she is seen to be willing to pay. The rights and wrongs can be sorted alongside that.

Personalty I would have thought with the council admitting they had the wrong address, it should be brought back one step further

Obviously Witsend .did not even know about the LO. Council incompetence

why should it even be with the EA after the admission.

The thread has run to so many pages and all that we seem to be doing now, is repeating advice that has previously been given to the OP.

The OP has indicated that she is eager to get a payment arrangement set up and she is now able to do so . We should all let her get the arrangement in place and wait to hear back from her.