• Tweets

• Northmonk forget what I said about your Notice to Hirer being the best I have seen . Though it  still may be  it is not good enough to comply with PoFA. Before looking at the NTH, we can look at the original Notice to Keeper. That is not compliant. First the period of parking as sated on their PCN is not actually the period of parking but a misstatement  since it is only the arrival and departure times of your vehicle. The parking period  is exactly that -ie the time youwere actually parked in a parking spot.  If you have to drive around to find a place to park the act of driving means that you couldn't have been parked at the same time. Likewise when you left the parking place and drove to the exit that could not be describes as parking either. So the first fail is  failing to specify the parking period. Section9 [2][a] In S9[2][f] the Act states  (ii)the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver, the creditor will (if all the applicable conditions under this Schedule are met) have the right to recover from the keeper so much of that amount as remains unpaid; Your PCN fails to mention the words in parentheses despite Section 9 [2]starting by saying "The notice must—..." As the Notice to Keeper fails to comply with the Act,  it follows that the Notice to Hirer cannot be pursued as they couldn't get the NTH compliant. Even if the the NTH was adjudged  as not  being affected by the non compliance of the NTK, the Notice to Hirer is itself not compliant with the Act. Once again the PCN fails to get the parking period correct. That alone is enough to have the claim dismissed as the PCN fails to comply with PoFA. Second S14 [5] states " (5)The notice to Hirer must— (a)inform the hirer that by virtue of this paragraph any unpaid parking charges (being parking charges specified in the notice to keeper) may be recovered from the hirer; ON their NTH , NPE claim "The driver of the above vehicle is liable ........" when the driver is not liable at all, only the hirer is liable. The driver and the hirer may be different people, but with a NTH, only the hirer is liable so to demand the driver pay the charge  fails to comply with PoFA and so the NPE claim must fail. I seem to remember that you have confirmed you received a copy of the original PCN sent to  the Hire company plus copies of the contract you have with the Hire company and the agreement that you are responsible for breaches of the Law etc. If not then you can add those fails too.
    • Weaknesses in some banks' security measures for online and mobile banking could leave customers more exposed to scammers, new data from Which? reveals.View the full article
    • I understand what you mean. But consider that part of the problem, and the frustration of those trying to help, is the way that questions are asked without context and without straight facts. A lot of effort was wasted discussing as a consumer issue before it was mentioned that the property was BTL. I don't think we have your history with this property. Were you the freehold owner prior to this split? Did you buy the leasehold of one half? From a family member? How was that funded (earlier loan?). How long ago was it split? Have either of the leasehold halves changed hands since? I'm wondering if the split and the leashold/freehold arrangements were set up in a way that was OK when everyone was everyone was connected. But a way that makes the leasehold virtually unsaleable to an unrelated party.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Bristow & Sutor. Ex's CTAX debt. Clamped MY Car and left. now i want to deed poll and pay all her debts

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 182 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good Evening

I have a slight problem with Bristow and Sutor.

My now ex partner had an old IVA that failed she now has bailiffs chasing her for the debt.

Yesterday a bailiff turned up, did not knock on the door, just tried breaking in to the house, showed no paperwork, then clamped my car and said he can do what he wants when he wants.

It was my car and on finance in my name only. He said finance does not matter he is taking it.

Now as the debt is not in my name they refuse to speak to me but here is the thing the bailiff will not speak to me but is now chasing me for the debt.

Due to the breakdown of the relationship I'm moving out of the house she has already moved out.

everything in the house belongs to me with receipts to prove I paid for it.

The bailiff wants my new address and to call him with expenses for the day and to ask permission to buy things.

He says because we lived together the debtor has an interest in my things but then he wanted to know the address of my son and family members as he requires information from them.

Bristow and Sutor also refuse to talk to me how can he suddenly decide to chase me for the debt, the council who are owed the money also refuse to talk to me.

• dx100uk changed the title to Bristow and Sutor. Ex's CTAX debt. Clamped MY Car and left.
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

were you living there for the period of ctax that they are after?

if you were you are equally liable sadly regardless to the ctax account only being in her name for the property.

the car being on finance is immaterial.

what letters have you received at the property prior to the visit?

has there been a notice of enforcement.?

the bailiff was not trying to break in but checking for any points of unlocked entry, unlocked which they are quite entitled to do  

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

We were not living together when this bill is from we had not even met. 

Yes there were notices that she hid from me I found all the post when she left.

He was physically trying to break in said he can.

He has been around 6 times since yesterday afternoon.

Left me his number to call him then refuses to talk to me saying he will only talk to the debtor.

Turns up and starts demanding I tell him what I have spent my money on and why I did not phone him before buying frosties.

Tonight's visit was to say he is having the water ,gas and electric cut off tomorrow and he will be visiting my new home when I move out this weekend.

He will also be paying a visit to my son's house not sure why he is 6 years old.

this is really bizarre he can do none of that. 

go into the council tax office in person with written proof you were not residing at the time of the bills, they would have gotten a liability order, then onto bailiffs . demand they get in touch with the bailiff company immediately and get he clamp removed.

but i must admit i dont believe half of what you think he is saying. 

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

The council refuse to talk to me without authority from the debtor.

It is very weird the only comments I have had from Bristow and Sutor office is has he removed the clamp and he is very confused as to who he should be chasing for the debt. I spoke to someone else who said he has broken the law ten fold.

The last time I dealt with a bailiff he was nothing like this guy that was for someone with the same name as me they got the wrong perso.

can you not go in person?

they should not be suing you. a bailiff has clamped your car for a debt you can prove you are not liable for.

they ARE liable for the bailiffs actions, even though i admit busted and stupid enforcement officers are just that sadly from reports here.

and they

I can try it all the council will say is the field agent will pursue the debt as they see fit. I have made a complaint to the council who refuse to acknowledge it.

The finance company have said that the bailiff will owe the outstanding balance on the car as he has forcefully taken possession of the car.

I will see what happens today he is due back today says he will break in. The landlord has removed his right of access. 

Go to the Police if the enforcement officer has acted in an unlawfull way. They have to act within the law, so cannot target property owned by a third party. Before clamping it, they should have checked who is the vehicle is registered to.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

From my experience the police will aid the bailiff. I was the registered keeper the finance company being the owners the finance company have now taken over the registered keeper side. The bailiff said he doesn't care he is taking the car. 

5 hours ago, bobandi said:

I will see what happens today he is due back today says he will break in. The landlord has removed his right of access. 

he cannot break in on a ctax LO debt, and removing right of access is silly freeman of the land twaddle.

if he turns up call the police immediately.

TBH: let him take the car, the finance are correct.

but there is far more steps that have happened here that you have not told us, i will guess these have led to the situation you are currently suffering, had you done thing properly and come here 1st off i suspect you would not be in this pickle now.

dx

and they

So the clamp is off the car now?

There is no right of entry for CTAX debts so the Bailiff is way out of line here.

Do not let him in and tell him to go back to his office as you are not the debtor.

When you move out of the property make sure this is resolved as you don't want it following you around.

The clamp was still on the car when they picked it up, it is probably off now, think Bristow and Sutor will be billed for it by the finance company so they have already lost money.

I have told him I'm not the debtor, he only uses it as an excuse to not talk to me, other times he wants to talk to m,e he is supposed to be looking for my son's house this morning said if he can cut child support I will have the money.

Hopefully I will sort it out today to be honest I kind of hope he follows me to my new place it's kind of a rough area they don't take kindly to bailiffs etc.

29 minutes ago, bobandi said:

if he can cut child support I will have the money.

so your ex is getting cs and you have the kids too?

dx

and they

aha so needs splitting, you are getting nowt?
dx

and they

• 1 month later...

Good Evening

I would like some advice, I split up with my partner after she moved out with someone new bailiffs showed up and went away after some arguing and threats by them. My ex got in contact saying I need to take on her debts these are from before we met council tax,rent arrears,court fees,credit cards,car finance. Basically before we met she never paid her bills, had an IVA and failed to pay that. My question is if I change my name by deed poll to her name will the creditors chase me as the liable debtor ? The council have said they will chase me from now on the bailiffs are refusing to chase me.

I would like some advice,

I split up with my partner after she moved out with someone

new bailiffs showed up and went away after some arguing and threats by them.

My ex got in contact saying I need to take on her debts, these are from before we met council tax, rent arrears ,court fees, credit cards, car finance.

Before we met she never paid her bills, had an IVA and failed to pay that.

My question is

if I change my name by deed poll to her name will the creditors chase me as the liable debtor ?

The council have said they will chase me from now on the bailiffs are refusing to chase me.

Firstly, please can you space your posts properly. Solid blocks of text are very difficult for people to follow – especially if they are using the small screen such as a telephone.

I'm not quite sure what you are asking here.
You got involved with somebody who was already in debt before you met.

Now they have left and you are on your own, they are saying that you need to be responsible for the debts that they had before your relationship even though these are nothing to do with you.
Is this correct?

Secondly, you are thinking about changing your name to your ex-partner's name and you want to know if this might result in your ex-partner's creditors chasing you.

I can imagine that if you had the same name as your ex-partner that it would cause you extra difficulty.
Secondly, I'm curious to know why you would want to change your name to that of your ex-partner when you have now split up.

you are not responsible for any debts solely in her name although joint ones, where you both signed up to, you can be .

as for say CTAX, Gas, Electric, Rent, :-

yes you can be made to pay these sums due from when you became a joint  resident with her.

what are the bailiffs after?

the rest like dca's can be totally ignored.

dx

and they

• dx100uk changed the title to Ex's old debts and a change of my name by deed poll?

She had 6 years or so of unpaid bills before we met.

When we met I helped her move house ,turns out she was evicted.

She has now said to me that I need to pay all her old debts as it is my fault.

She did get an IVA for these debts but never bothered paying it so the debts have resurfaced after telling me she had sorted it.

She wants me to take them on so she can have a fresh start with her new partner.

I had the bailiffs chasing me for her debts then they backed down saying sorry.

I want to change my name to hers so that they do chase me for the debt.

The council said if I change my name to hers they will chase me, the bailiffs have said they will not chase me as I'm the wrong person. 

We only had one joint tenancy where I paid the bills and they were all settled. All debts are in her name.

As my site team colleague has said, they can't hold you responsible for debts which were incurred before you met her.

However, I hope you won't mind too much when I say that your plan sounds absolutely crazy. Although you aren't liable for the debts, it will simply encourage people to go after you.

Also, you have no idea about the debts that she might continue incurring and if you share the same name then it is a recipe for errors, misunderstandings, and eventually people believing that you are responsible and that it will be your credit file which will be smashed up for at least six years and probably a lot longer.
You will find it difficult to get credit or to borrow money for any other purpose. Meanwhile your ex may carry on incurring debt after debt after debt.

It sounds to me is if you still have a soft spot for her and you are trying to help her.
Wouldn't it be more helpful if you said that you won't have anything to do with it and that she needs to get help to deal with her spending problem and her debt addiction.
We are happy to help you – but frankly I think you are nuts!

Sorry….🤫

• Like 1
  • I agree 2

why do you want to do that?

you are not responsible for any of her debts.

are you saying out of goodwill you WANT to pay her debts? so think that by changing her name this is achieved?

as @BankFodder says your posts are rather puzzling

and they

I realise that it is a little puzzling and that I'm not responsible for her debts it has nothing to do with me having a soft spot for her.

She will continue to run up debts and not pay her bills she has a problem where come payday she spends all her money on what she wants then thinks about bills then takes out payday loans to cover her bills then cannot afford anything. Then expects me to bail her out.

I have tried to help her but she will not admit how badly she is in debt she used to hide all her post.

My plan is change my name to hers that way the bailiff will come after me. The council she owes money to have said I will be liable for her debts so will chase me the bailiffs have said they know I'm the wrong person so will not chase me they will deal with me a different way.

Even if you changed your name, you are still a different person, with a different date of birth, national insurance number, different credit records etc etc.

It is a bit like coincidently having 10 John Brown's living in the same block of flats.  They are all different people.

This all appears to be part of a mental health episode, where thoughts are not rational.

Your ex is spending money to make them happy for a day on pay day and then not able to deal with the consequences. Again evidence of poor mental health, where they need to be receiving professional help.

Best advice is to stop the destructive ways of dealing with this, which are not going to help and will most likely lead to more problems.  Seek help from local mental health services.

WWW.NHS.UK

Feeling stressed, anxious, low or struggling to sleep? Every Mind Matters can help with expert advice, practical tips and personalised actions to...

• Like 3

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 182 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks