Smart meters: the hidden agenda

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3085 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Energy giants are set to use digital smart meters as a way to double the cost of power when families need it most — adding nearly £60 a year to the average bill.

A Money Mail investigation has discovered Britain’s leading power firms are expected to introduce tariffs that charge more at peak times when they roll out new electronic meters which monitor how much energy you use by the second.

It means electricity and gas used in the evenings could cost 99 per cent more than at other times — penalising everyone cooking family meals, watching popular TV shows and heating their homes on chilly winter evenings.

Higher charges will also apply in the morning when people are most likely to be taking baths and showers and having the central heating on.

Money Mail has discovered that British Gas has already trialled a tariff that charges more at peak times.

Does not surprise me in the slightest, plus they will be able to control who can use what energy and when, so if say, London needs more energy to keep their lights on, then they will be able to close down other parts of the country to supply the demand elsewhere, blackouts will become the norm.

There is always a hidden agenda when it comes to things like this, they make it sound like its a good idea and will be something we want, but in reality, it only ever suits them and their needs.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Does not surprise me in the slightest, plus they will be able to control who can use what energy and when, so if say, London needs more energy to keep their lights on, then they will be able to close down other parts of the country to supply the demand elsewhere, blackouts will become the norm.

There is always a hidden agenda when it comes to things like this, they make it sound like its a good idea and will be something we want, but in reality, it only ever suits them and their needs.

This sounds just a little bit paranoid really...

To the uninitiated maybe, akin to allowing ''refugees'' into Europe, there is always a hidden agenda unfortunately.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

They already have such schemes for businesses that use large amounts of electricity, but I don't think it is right to push it onto households as they have no other options for their supply.

Edited by lostinmusic
Spelling

Not the case, the poster is correct, not to mention the dangers of microwave transmission in your house.

In Australia they have had them for a while and certain goods have to be fitted with circuits that allow smart meters to interact with them, one result was to remotely shut down peoples air conditioning in the height of summer to fit the power companies budgets.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?408980-How-To-Decline-A-Smart-Meter

I started a thread some time ago on how to decline a SMART meter. We are legally within our rights to say no to this.

'Stop Smart metres' is a handy website with a template on it to help people. There has been widespread bullying of customers trying to refuse these although this did not happen to me personally, thankfully. (so far).

The thread includes a youtube clip of a man with the police around with a warrant, breaking in to forcibly install a smart metre into his house without his permission.

Nationwide gumtree adverts specifically aimed at ex-army to apply to train to become smart meter installers.

And links to an interesting film 'Take back your power'.

you already get a lower voltage as the result of demand, dropped from 240v to 220v and also there has been a change to what voltage drop triggers a compensation scheme to kick in. How many people monitor their supply voltage in the first place I wonder?

The govenrment has made it clear it want the energy companies to drop the voltage and shut down the supply to individuals at times of peak demand. What bbusiness is it of the government to decide what I spend my money on at a given time of day and what if my high demand is due to running a dialysis machine and an iron lung and not loads of compuer stuff? Do I have to tell them beforehand that granny needs these or just send them the coroner's report afterwards?

If the voltage lowers you need more current to use the same power i.e Volts X Amps 250 volts times 4 amps for an Hour = 1 Kwhr 220 volts times 4 amps for an hour = 0.88 Kwhr

Living in the wild windy west of Ireland

Hmmnn I wonder if these big businesses will be paying at any peak rate times...lets face it many of them already get a discount as they use so much...they should be paying more, perhaps a sliding scale lie tax would be better I:e you pay a very small charge for the first 2000 kilowatt hours, then the next 1000 kilowatt hours you pay more anon anon anon....that would be a more productive way of encouraging savings as well as helping the less well off as the basic cost should be lower than it is now...

Insane that they claim this will make people use less electricity by charging more at peak times.

Also how can you legally stop them installing new smart meters? They'll just do it by force and say "gubment said so" like the plastic bags with a big smile on their face.

Insane that they claim this will make people use less electricity by charging more at peak times.

Also how can you legally stop them installing new smart meters? They'll just do it by force and say "gubment said so" like the plastic bags with a big smile on their face.

Just in case you missed it, here is a thread I prepared earlier on 'How..'

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?408980-How-To-Decline-A-Smart-Meter&highlight=clear33