Interview!

essexmat
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3630 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Afternoon all

Well, I have landed myself an interview for a job I really want - it is this Friday at 11.00am and I have been short listed with four other people.

I have to do a presentation BUT not sure on what yet, I am told when I get there and it will be for 10 minutes and then a 30 minute interview.

Generally I am a confident person in interviews but the nerves are kicking in already because it has been so long since I have had an interview and it is worse because I really want the job. Not done any prep yet as don't want to drive myself mad with worry so will do some tomorrow and on Thursday i.e. mission statement, bit about the organisation etc.

I think the most scary part is I am anxious because I want to get off this JSA regime and off benefits so don't want to come across as desperate. Just made sure my suit still fits and it does, phew!

I suppose whatever happens it is experience - I either come out thinking I have done OK or bang my head against the wall wondering why I totally blew it!

Arrrghhhhh! :!:

Good luck

Also if it helps with the nerves, what is the worst that can happen? No change from where you are now.

Think about getting the job :)

What sort of job is it and is there any thing on the company website that can give you a good idea on what the company looks for in people etc. Memorise their "Strap lines" so you can throw them into your presentation/interview somehow.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Go through the job description/person spec and make sure you have some answers for their 'Essential and Desireable' descriptors, try to stay calm if they ask you a seemingly stupid question and try not to worry too much.

The best of luck for Friday, I know how difficult it is to get away from the poor JSA image and present yourself as a marketable, employable entity.

Good luck, Essexmat.

I agree with the post a couple above this, check out the company and try to understand what they're about. It should help you to tailor your presentation.

You can always practice with us. :)

Good luck, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

If it is the thought of public speaking that is causing concern (it scares the hell out of me), practice by standing on a street corner and lecturing passers-by on the evils of the W2W sector. If you do it a few doors down from your local Ingeus office, you should collect an audience quite quickly :madgrin:

If nothing else, good luck on Friday.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Good luck Matt. :)

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Thanks all, unfortunately I suffer with anxiety so it is kicking in now (upset stomach etc) as I try too hard to learn too much but I guess what happens is going to happen so no point overly worrying I guess!

Good luck from me too. We will all expect to be bought a beer from your first months wages. :)

I still hold that if the employer likes your face and general personality then that's 90% of the interview, so don't get too worried about the presentation bit.

Thanks all, feeling stressed at the moment as trying to remember stuff from their mission statement and values etc but keep forgetting them so may go blank when interviewed. I am also trying to guess what I may be asked but I guess there is no point in that. I am very anxious as although I am a pretty confident person I can either babble on showing anxiety through talking fast and not getting out anything of purpose or go blank and just come out with nonsense.

I guess too much prep is bad, keep going back to notes and forgetting stuff - can't prep for presentation as don't know what it is until I get there.

Ithas been so long since I have had an interview which is why I am very stressed and anxious about it, but, what can I do apart from be natural? At the end of the day I am not worse off if I don't get it, what I am more scared about is making a fool of myself

I have to do a presentation BUT not sure on what yet, I am told when I get there and it will be for 10 minutes and then a 30 minute interview.

It will either be a presentation about yourself, or the company you are applying for.

Hubby had this once, wasn't told what the presentation was about till he got there.

So find out as much as you can about the company and good luck.

UPDATE:

Bricking it :!:

Done all I can now, made sure I know the mission statement and got in my mind what I want to ask them at the end but I am trying not to pre-judge what else I may be asked as I will drive myself mad. I think the presentation as you say may be on what you know about the organisation - a simple few minutes talk or "tell me about yourself" if it is that I will outline my work history and what I have developed and how I can bring these skills to this job.

Keep driving myself mad looking at notes but learning that is also a bad thing as you can over do it. Going to have one last look at notes when I park up. Setting off at 9 - journey time is an hour, park up around 10.15, interview at 11.15.

I keep telling myself even if I muck a few bits up they would have seen/heard worse and at the end of the day what am I losing - nothing, I still get my benefits. I think the excitement of it is being able to (if I did get it) walk in to JCP and tell them I am signing off and also sticking two fingers up (not literally) to INGEUS.

essexmat,

1 in 5 chance. ...... Lets "Cut the odds"

Candidate No. 1. Shows up looking like a film extra from "The last of the Mohicans"

No. 2. Looks like "Worzel Gummidge"

No. 3 Needs to put their "brain into gear before opening their mouth"

That reduces the odds to 50 / 50

Good Luck. You can do this !!!

That reduces the odds to 50 / 50

ha ha, alright guys and gals - got back, whipped the suit, shirt and tie off and WENT TO THE PUB! Just got back, bloody tough it was too, presentation on data evaluation and then grilled for an hour - on a scale of rubbish, OK, quite well and excellent I reckon I was Ok to quite well - I know I screwed up a few questions and repeated myself a bit but others I done OK in. Should hear as soon as today or early next week!

Got everything crossed for you. :)

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.