• Tweets

• "We suffer more in imagination than in reality" - really pleased this all happened. Settled by TO, full amount save as to costs and without interest claimed. I consider this a success but feel free to move this thread to wherever it's appropriate. I say it's a success because when I started this journey I was in a position of looking to pay interest on all these accounts, allowing them to default stopped that and so even though I am paying the full amount, it is without a doubt reduced from my position 3 years ago and I feel knowing this outcome was possible, happy to gotten this far, defended myself in person and left with a loan with terms I could only dream of, written into law as interest free! I will make better decisions in the future on other accounts, knowing key stages of this whole process. We had the opportunity to speak in court, Judge (feels like just before a ruling) was clear in such that he 'had all the relevant paperwork to make a judgement'. He wasn't pleased I hadn't settled before Court.. but then stated due to WS and verbal arguments on why I haven't settled, from my WS conclusion as follows: "11. The Defendant was not given ample evidence to prove the debt and therefore was not required to enter settlement negotiations. Should the debt be proved in the future, the Defendant is willing to enter such negotiations with the Claimant. "  He offered to stand down the case to give us chance to settle and that that was for my benefit specifically - their Sols didn't want to, he asked me whether I wanted to proceed to judgement or be given the opportunity to settle. Naturally, I snapped his hand off and we entered negotiations (took about 45 minutes). He added I should get legal advice for matters such as these. They were unwilling to agree to a TO unless it was full amount claimed, plus costs, plus interest. Which I rejected as I felt that was unfair in light of the circumstances and the judges comments, I then countered with full amount minus all costs and interest over 84 months. They accepted that. I believe the Judge wouldn't have been happy if they didn't accept a payment plan for the full amount, at this late stage. The judge was very impressed by my articulate defence and WS (Thanks CAG!) he respected that I was wiling to engage with the process but commented only I  can know whether this debt is mine, but stated that Civil cases were based on balance of probabilities, not without shadow of a doubt, and all he needs to determine is whether the account existed. Verbal arguments aside; he has enough evidence in paperwork for that. He clarified that a copy of a DN and NOA is sufficient proof based on balance of probabilities that they were served. I still disagree, but hey, I'm just me.. It's definitely not strict proof as basically I have to prove the negative (I didn't receive them/they were not served), which is impossible. Overall, a great result I think! BT  
    • Seeking further advice now. The 33 days in which the defendant has to submit a defence expires at 16:00 tomorrow. The defendant has submitted an acknowledgement of service but looking to get the claim awarded by default in failure to submit the defence. This is MoneyClaim Online and can see an option to request a default judgement but believe that is for failure to acknowledge the claim within 14 days??  So being MoneyClaim Online, how do I request the claim be awarded in my favour?
    • Have to agree with the above Health and safety legislation is specific in that the service provider in so far as is reasonably practicable, the health, safety and welfare at work of all his employees and those not in the employ of the business. You claim is like saying you slipped in the swimming pool area while taking a dip. As rightly stated by by the leisure centre, a sports hall has dedicated equipment and you yourself personally have a legal obligation in mitigating danger or injury to yourself by taking account of your immediate surroundings. Where your claim will fail is if it is reasonable and proportionate to impose liability of the Leisure Centre? The answer has to be no.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3783 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've posted before about the parking situation at the apartment where I live - the basic problem is that to get to our car park we have to drive through a supermarket car park (we do have a right of way) controlled by Parking Eye. As anyone who is a regular on the forum might guess, this has caused no end of problems to both residents and visitors to the point that about 2 years ago one regular visitor made a claim against PE and the supermarket for harassment. I can't report the result as he signed a confidentiality agreement, but I got a slap up meal out of it in recognition of my assistance so draw your own conclusions.

I suspect that as a result of that action PE have been a little more circumspect about issuing their payment demands however this has recently changed and in the last 2 weeks we have had 2 guests receive charge notices. All the residents would like this situation resolved permanently, ideally with a court judgement in our favour. Both guests are very willing to be guinea pigs so their appeals at the moment are a straightforward denial of parking in the supermarket car park which is almost certain to be turned down.

I would like opinions on whether we continue with a straight denial with the appeal to POPLA? We want the appeal to be turned down so that PE issue proceedings but we don't want a judge asking why we didn't submit a proper appeal by explaining how they weren't parked in the supermarket car park when they were photographed apparently entering and leaving at widely separated times. Alternatively do we not bother with the POPLA appeal and just maintain a denial to PE?

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

It is a lottery with parking eye and court I am at the stage payment in 14 days or legal action WILL be taken

That was nearly a month ago

There is no obligation to appeal to them or POPLA

I have done neither as there signage differ to there claims on there paperwork so confident in a win

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

Pure incompetence by PE, straight forward letter from the invoice recipient to PE explaining that they were not parking but using the car park as the right of way to the residential area.

No further correspondence will be entered into without a guarantee of costs to be reimbursed by PE (I wouldn't give them the price of a stamp).

I can't imagine that even PE would be stupid enough to go to court on this one.

How on earth did someone design a residential area that can only be accessed by a supermarket car park? Beggars belief.

Easements are common, having PE harassing you for having one isnt. I would take the matter up with the supermarket head office as they are ultimately responsible for the harassment. Also complain to the local council and the Information Commissioners Office about the misuse of the cameras and the data gathered by them. The ICO may offer "advice" to the supermarket co, which will add more sunstance to your complaints.

Supermarket have proved in the past that they simply aren't interested however misuse of the cameras is a most interesting idea which I shall be following up. It's surely a breach of my privacy for PE to record every time I go out in my car even if they don't issue an invoice to me.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Having had a really good look at the 'invoices' issued by PE, in one of them I can clearly see and recognise the passenger. I can think of a few situations in which the driver of a vehicle might not want the registered keeper (partner, boss, parent?) to know where they were going, how long for and who with so this is an obvious breach of privacy, especially since both vehicles were photographed for no legitimate reason. I have already emailed the ICO for advice on how to tackle this.

There is also the issue of how they obtain RK details - presumably they've promised DVLA that it's because the vehicle was parked for too long in the supermarket car park, which is wrong on both counts, therefore they may well be misusing DVLA data without which of course they cannot operate. I'm drafting the DVLA letter at the moment.

We have gone after the supermarket in the past, they have been hit where it hurts since it was them who paid up not PE, and it's made no difference whatsoever except for that one visitor - he can come and go as he pleases! It might make a difference if we went after them for every visitor that got a ticket, but I simply don't have the stamina to pursue 5, 10 or even 15 cases before they give in.

The bottom line is that we want PE to pursue a case to court and get told in no uncertain terms that they're idiots. Ideally, we'd then like them to do it again, in front of the same judge, but even if it's just the once we'll all have a case number to quote at them every time they try it on and even PE must get the message eventually.

That said, is the general consensus that we don't have to appeal to POPLA?

RMW

You could send a unilateral contract charging a fee for every time PE misuse your data. It would have the same legal standing as the parking company's demands for breach of contract so if you want you could then bill them for every demand from PE and counterclaim from PE the exact same amoubt they ask for as restitution for harassment. If you are going to write to the supermarket CEO then you need to ensure that you do keep to your word and take the necessary steps to get them to explain to a judge why this is happening and not just pass the buck

Still waiting for responses to the first round of letter tennis, but PE have now issued a ticket to a certain member of my family whom no one in their right mind would normally challenge. Stroppy doesn't even come close, and they are seriously annoyed already.

This person is also very high up in the legal profession.

I almost feel sorry for PE - they have no idea what they have let themselves in for.

RMW

I hope that "very high up in the legal profession" includes being aware of this specific area of Law and procedures, having deep knowledge and effective delivery.

Not the same thing, sadly.

Oh - and have the motivation to avoid a quiet life and stay away from anything that could effect future progress to become even higher up.

They all want to become Judges but know they must beyond past reproach.

Keep updating, please.

I hope that "very high up in the legal profession" includes being aware of this specific area of Law and procedures, having deep knowledge and effective delivery.

Not the same thing, sadly.

They're actually involved in criminal law but have the resources and contacts to do this right.

Oh - and have the motivation to avoid a quiet life and stay away from anything that could effect future progress to become even higher up.

They all want to become Judges but know they must beyond past reproach.

No chance of going any higher regardless of what they do or don't do, nor any desire to, and no question that motivation should be an issue. They would have been absolutely fine if PE had backed off after the first or even possibly the second letter, but three is pushing too far. One of those people who is slow to wind up, but once there never backs down.

Keep updating, please.

Will be updating on all fronts as and when. We're really hoping the breach of privacy over the cameras proves to be a winning point.

RMW

Response received from ICO re cameras.

Useless waffle about CCTV that I could have copied from their website.

Seems the only option is to complain to PE and take it from there.

RMW

• 3 weeks later...

Parking charge for guest no 1 has been cancelled without needing to go to POPLA. I'm baffled since all we put was that he denied being parked in the supermarket car park, so they should have turned it down.

RMW

Nice, but doesnt solve the problem in the long term. You should get your legal person to fire off a suitable letter about refraining and desisting etc etc and force them to reply so that they are under no illusion that theydont have any rights to harass visitors to the development. The same approach to the store CEO and hold them to account for theiractions in hiring these people and again, dont accept a wishy-washy reply promising to investigate or take things on board but a firm statement of what they are going to do about spying on their neighbours.

• 1 month later...

Volunteer number 2 has had their appeal refused, again just a straightforward denial, so I've just done the POPLA appeal which doesn't really go in to any more detail.

Something which has come to light. If you appeal to ParkingEye online one of the drop down boxes is for 'registered keeper', 'driver' or 'other', so I ticked other and did the appeal on behalf of the driver/keepr. All subsequent correspondence has been addressed to me, with no enquiry as to how or why I am involved. If this goes further, I wonder if they would issue proceedings against me, and wouldn't they look stupid if they did?

I wonder how clogged up the system would get if everyone got a friend to appeal for them?

RMW

Hi

I know this may sound silly but have you raised this with the landowner?

Surely due to the stress PE are causing you and other residents/guests, the landowner could demand that PE move the camera so that it shows cars parking rather than just going in/out.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Hi

I know this may sound silly but have you raised this with the landowner?

Surely due to the stress PE are causing you and other residents/guests, the landowner could demand that PE move the camera so that it shows cars parking rather than just going in/out.

It is in fact the landowner that have had and dealt with previous harassment claims. Bottom line is they're just not interested even when hit in the pocket. They have contracts with PE across a huge number of sites so we're obviously just a very little fish that's not worth their notice.

RMW

Then send another bill to the supermarket CEO and head it letter before action. The bill should represent compenasation for the amount of time you have spent preparing yourself for this farce at £18 per hour litigant in person rates. point out in letter that civil tort for harassment to both him and PE will be next