• Tweets

• 05.05.24 Ever so sorry if I have entered this in the wrong part of this website.   My grandfather is in his 70's and retired.  He asked me to help him find a work pension that he was paying into when he was working. From 1967 - 1982 he worked for a Fabric Dying Company, Celanese, Spondon Derby UK. I have already used the GOV.uk Trace Pension Scheme. It listed a few pension companies : Akzo Nobel (CPS) Pension Scheme formerly Courtaulds Pension Scheme.  I do not fully understand how this works but I think this scheme is administer by a company called Willis Tower Watson. We have called this company, got through to the pension department submitted all my grandfather's details (D.O.B. , N.I. no. etc.) but that agent tells that they have no record of my grandfather and ask what is the name of the pension scheme. Here is the problem, his home was burgalled in 2005 and a briefcase which contained his legal documents was stolen. So he does not know who was the Pension Scheme company. I have a this phone number 01332 681 210 for Celanese but it just rings and never gets answered. So I am asking for help if anyone can tell us where we can try next. I am also hoping for a massive long shot that one of them members on this website, worked for or knows someone who worked for British Celanese Spondon Derby and could tell us of any pension company. Thanks for any help.
    • Well I sent them the letter of claim, the only responses so far was a few emails reopening the claims on the parcels where they asked for information such as proof of value (which I get) but other things like photos of the parcels, which I haven't got as I never took photos of them. It's been well over the 14 days since I sent the letter now anyway, so what do you think I should do now?
    • Know it has already been answered, but? Does not explain why JCI has registered a different default date when they get the information from the original creditor, Virgin
    • Since you were stopped at the time there is no requirement for the police give you anything there and then or to send you anything before they have decided how to deal with the offence.  They have three choices: Offer you a course Offer you a fixed penalty (£100 and three points) Prosecute you in court  The only option that has a formal time limit is (3). They must begin court proceedings within six months of the date of the alleged offence. Options (1) and (2) have no time limit but since the only alternative the police have if you decline those offers is (3) they will not usually offer a course beyond three months from the date of the offence and will not usually offer a fixed penalty beyond four months from that date. This is so as to allow time for the driver to accept and comply with their offer and to give them the time to go to option (3) if he declines or ignores it.  Unless there is a good reason to do otherwise, the action they take will usually be in accordance with the National Police Chiefs' Council's guidance on speeding enforcement. In a 40mph limit this is as follows Up to 45mph - no action. Between 46mph and 53mph - offer a course Between 54mph and 65mph - offer a fixed penalty Over 65mph - prosecution in court So you can see that 54mph should see you offered a fixed penalty. Three weeks is not overly long for a fixed penalty offer to arrive. As well as that, there has been Easter in that period which will have slowed things down a bit. However, I would suggest that if it gets to about two months from the offence date and you have still heard nohing, I would contact the ticket office for the area where you were stopped to see if anything has been sent to you. Of course this raises the danger that you might be "stirring the hornets' nest". But in all honesty, if the police have decided to take no action, you jogging their memory should not really influence them. The bigger danger, IMHO, is that your fixed penalty offer may have been sent but lost and if you do not respond it will lapse. This will see the police revert to option (3) above. Whilst there is a mechanism in these circumstances  to persuade the court to sentence you at the fixed penalty level (rather than in accordance with the normal guidelines which will see a harsher penalty), it relies on them believing you when you say you did not received an offer. In any case it is aggravation you could well do without so for the sake of a phone call, I'd enquire if it was me.  I think I've answered all your questions but if I can help further just let me know. Just a tip - if you are offered a fixed penalty be sure to submit your driving licence details as instructed. I've seen lots of instances where a driver has not done this. There will be no reminder and no second chance; your £100 will be refunded and the police will prosecute you through the courts.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Debt Recovery Plus + Parking Eye

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3884 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm seriously stressed with all this pa lava so would like some urgent advice please because the debt collector company have said that if I don't pay before Friday 13th Sep, they will issue court proceedings!!

Due to previous advice from forums and friends, i had up to now chosen to ignore, earlier correspondence in the hope it would go away, but story of my life its not!

The parking charge is now at £150 which was just for an additional 16 minutes on a two hour free car park!! I didnt know that the car park was only free for two hours as it had been years since Id parked there. A friend also parked there at the same time on the same day for slightly less time (only a few minutes) and they have not received a parking notice. This led me to believe that it is a [problem].

I am loathe to pay the fine, as one: i can't afford it! and 2: I think that the fine is too excessive.

Any advice would be gratefully received. :-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(

Have a read of other Parking Eye threads !!

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi

Can you name the company who issued the PCN and the debt collector. This would give us a better idea of what we are dealing with.

A lot of these letters are designed to intimidate. Working isn't it.

if I don't pay before Friday 13th Sep, they will issue court proceedings!
Are those the exact words, If not please type it up as printed on the letter

OOPS. didn't see Parking eye at the top

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Hi, the debt collector is Debt Recovery Plus.

I've received 2 letters from them, so I rang yesterday (because Im getting scared now) and was told my case was in the pile to go to court. They offered to reduce it to £120 if I pay before Friday, otherwise it will go to to court :-(

Different rules apply to Scotland but as CitizenB has said, read, read then do a bit more reading. It does seem that Parking Eye are doing a lot of court cases BUT they are also backing down when the cases are defended.

DRP are their pet DCA of the week

You will have to go and stand in the naughty corner for ringing them but not for long as you didn't know the golden rule. "Never talk to them on the phone!" :|

Please try and not get too stressed over this. PE have no grounds for the demands they make

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Silverfox has stated Scotland, is this correct?

Should have said 'IF you are in Scotland' Sorry for any confusion

A dca cannot issue any proceedings. Dont worry about that. Especially for a non existant debt. PE get continual railed in court so it seems their new trick is to involve dcas.

Makes you wonder if the dcas know they could lose their licence for chasing non existant debts.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Yep, Debt Collector has no powers - never speak to them, never call them and if they call you simply state 'Any alleged debt is denied, refer to your client, no further contact by telephone or in person' (in person is unlikely for a PPC invoice)

The Debt Collector letter is just another bit of free toilet paper in the chain of begging letters designed to intimidate you into parting with your cash for an unenforceable invoice - do not pay!

THe parking charge is NOT any amount, the extortionate invoice for an unproved and speulative contract is the amount they are asking for. If you bought some groceries at a supermarket would you pay £100 to the charity tin rattler because he said that you owed it to him for walking past his sign?

other way around

whats the chances of them winning ....ZERO

ignore them

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for your replies. So, am I right in thinking that I ignore all letters and then wait for a court summons?? Then send my defence in? Im sooo close to paying it tomorrow just to stop all the hassle. Whats the chance of me winning in court? :???::???::???:

Thats how they operate. They hound you till breaking point. As for the last statement.... The chances of you winning in court is 99.99%. The 0.01% is because nothing is ever for sure.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Thanks. Im going to ignore then and wait for the next step.

Will I next receive court papers as Ive had two letters from the DCA now.

Nothing like this has happened to me before so Ive no idea what Im doing.

Will people help me with my defence etc?

A bit of back ground

-To date, Ive only received one letter from PE and 2 from DCA,

I wasnt the driver,

a friend of the drivers didnt receive a notice but parked there for approx the same time.

The driver was 16 mins over the two hour free parking.

PE no longer looks after (if you can call it that) the specific car park.

Have I got a decent defence???? :???:

PE seem to be using DCA's instead of court claims in some cases. Thats not to say they wont try court though.

To deal with the DC's, send them something along the lines of " I deny any liability to you or your client. No such debt exists. No further correspondance will be netered into. Continued contact by yourselves or PE will result in formal complaints being made to the OFT and possible legal action for harassment."

Debt Recovery Plus is only a Debt Collection service..

...as stated above in order for them to take you to court they would need to appoint a solicitor...

..Just imagine how that would read......??

Solicitor act on behalf of Debt Recovery Plus, who's client is PE who are not the landowner in this matter :lol::lol:

That's a multi party claim and may constitute contempt of court as only the actual landowner can bring a claim for loss of revenue as a result of the breach

(In your case was nil as the car park is free) or their appointed agent who must have a contract that permits them to bring proceedings....

That's even before we discuss the entire charge being a penalty and thus unenforceable in law

The law is a wonderful thing !!!!

In the mean time, write to the freedom of information officer at the Northampton County Court Bulk Centre For a request for information on how many claims PE have issued between april 2011 - april 2013..

You can then point this information out to the judge and ask why they involved debt collectors instead of issuing the claim themselves....

Maybe they dont want to be known as vexatious litigants :typing:

I think perhaps send a response as per the imp in post # 15.

Then wait on them issuing a claim form. There is a "draft" defence that you could use as the basis of any that you might need to submit. However, if you do receive a claim then let us know immediately and we can take it from there.

I will go and find a link to the defence so you understand what you will need to be doing.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

BCOBS

Help!! i dont know what to do for the best. I really need someone to advice me as in step 1 do this, step 2 then that, dont do this etc. Ive never done anyting like this before and its getting a bit overwhelming :-(

Not sure what you are asking here. There is no point repeating what has been said before. If you are worried about receiving a court claim and the hassle of defending, then make a payment to the car park owner at an appropriate rate. Perhaps look at the parking charges locally for total time parked and pay that as a good will gesture without any admission of liability. If you have a receipt for the shopping that day, perhaps advise them how much was spent in their shop. If you were not driving on the day in question, you should state that in the letter and advise that as the owner of the car you deny any liability for the car being parked beyond the free 2 hour period.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread