Whatever Happens claim denied ***Resolved***

VaiBabe
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4281 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Just over a year ago we bought an iPad 2 for my husband (I'd already got an iPad1).

Earlier this year he tripped whilst walking down the steps and landed with his knee on the ipad, bending it and rendering it unusable.

He rang the claims no. and was told it would be covered under accidental damage, and send it to the claims centre which he did.

After two weeks he had heard nothing so rang the centre, only to be told that the claim was being denied due to the damage being excessive in relation to the reason for the damage.

They returned the very bent iPad to us.

We appealed, writing to the infamous Mr Perryment,

who said he had investigated the claim and agreed that the damage was excessive,

pointing us to the fine print which talks of non-accidental damage.

I was particularly impressed by Mr Perryment's abilities,

as we had the iPad during the entirety of his investigation.

We sent a letter before action, which was responded to with the same reason

- excessive damage in relation to reason for damage.

We have not seen any evidence of tests/reports from Currys which explain what damage isn't excessive when a 16 stone man falls and lands on an ipad.

So, we filed a claim and have now received a response which says that they intend to contest the claim and they require 28 days rather than 14 days to prepare the defence. Does anyone have any advice as to what we should do now?

Edited by citizenB
formatting

Hi vai

Welcome to CAG

We've got a Currys/PCWorld Rep who can look into the matter. It could be that Paul cannot help in which case we can make further suggestions. He should pick this thread up.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/member.php?349645-Paul-CurrysPCWorld

What payment method used to purchase the Ipad?

Some info:- http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2011/10/knowhow.html

Please let us know how your problem has been resolved, it could help fellow Caggers.

I wonder if you would need to obtain an independant report regarding the damage to the item - or do you already have that ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I did wonder about an independent report, but have no idea where I would get one from - clearly not Currys!

I will flag your thread and see if other Site team might know.

It seems this "Whatever Happens" product is not all it should be. There have been other caggers mention they have had problems.

I am not sure that the Curry's Rep will be able to advise/help if this is now subject to litigation.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

They clearly think we are trying to make a fraudulent claim,

but the only evidence they have provided is by saying that the damage is excessive in relation to the incident caused

and then referring us to the T&C highlighting the bit that refers to the insurance being void if the product is misused.

Surely if we were trying it on, we would have damaged the older iPad1 to get a newer replacement?

Clearly, 'whatever happens' is a misnomer.

Clearly you need more information, their decision doesn't stack up with regards to the info they have provided, which is what you've said in your initial post.

They clearly think we are trying to make a fraudulent claim, but the only evidence they have provided is by saying that the damage is excessive in relation to the incident caused and then referring us to the T&C highlighting the bit that refers to the insurance being void if the product is misused. Surely if we were trying it on, we would have damaged the older iPad1 to get a newer replacement? Clearly, 'whatever happens' is a misnomer.

Now this is subject to litigation you can ask for this information by way of CPR..

I am not sure which CPR though.. So will ask that question for you as well.

BCOBS

or just do a DPA request and insist on the coverplan report being included

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

or just do a DPA request and insist on the coverplan report being included

I doubt there will be sufficient time for SAR, labrat - they have 40 calendar days to comply and you can guarantee they would leave it right to the last moment :(

BCOBS

on a side note

apple are sometimes very good and might well replace it free.

it has been known!

and i doubt paul will able to do anything now gary has been involved an 'decided'

pers i agree get them in court

we see SO much of this gioig on with useless insurancs through them

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

doubt apple will do much with a damaged one

sorry to say paul wont be allowed near it, its kind of a insiders society down at referals

but there should be a full report (ussually 2 pages) with images, comments on why they think that dam is inconsistant, and what summary they make

your right on the too long for the SAR my mistake but definatly ask under CPR as it WILL be something they rely on

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

Maybe Paul can get hold of the full report for vaibabe

doubt apple will do much with a damaged one

sorry to say paul wont be allowed near it, its kind of a insiders society down at referals

but there should be a full report (ussually 2 pages) with images, comments on why they think that dam is inconsistant, and what summary they make

your right on the too long for the SAR my mistake but definatly ask under CPR as it WILL be something they rely on

You need to have a look at CPR 31 - disclosure and inspection of documents

http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules#part31

BCOBS

Moving to Legal Forum

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

All pul I slikely to be able to say is to write to the dpa officer and ask

Please note:

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say thank you and update on the situation.

About a week ago we received a notification that they wanted 28 days to dispute the claim,

then today we received a letter informing us that they had reconsidered the case

and were prepared to accept the damage was caused accidentally

and included a voucher for the whole amount.

So, result!

But very frustrating that we had to go this long and this far to get them to acknowledge what should have been acknowledged straight away.

We went and got the new iPad today,

and the man behind the counter tried to sell us the extra cover again.

It was really difficult to be polite at that point...

Anyway, thanks for all the support and guidance it was much appreciated.

Just wanted to say thank you and update on the situation.

About a week ago we received a notification that they wanted 28 days to dispute the claim,

then today we received a letter informing us that they had reconsidered the case

and were prepared to accept the damage was caused accidentally

and included a voucher for the whole amount.

Hope that included your court fee.

So, result!

But very frustrating that we had to go this long and this far to get them to acknowledge what should have been acknowledged straight away.

We went and got the new iPad today,

and the man behind the counter tried to sell us the extra cover again.

It was really difficult to be polite at that point...

Anyway, thanks for all the support and guidance it was much appreciated.

Being polite is probably more than I could have managed, so well done.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Very good news - yes, it is unacceptable that you were put to all the trouble in the first place - however, it is resolved now and hopefully you can put it down to a "one off" experience !!

BCOBS