CAG Site upgrade - thread 1

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5022 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I still have a couple of niggles, but as they're mainly visual tweak, they can wait.

Which visual niggles Bookie? I can help with those as I can just update my 'offline' page and style sheets and work with those

Chrome seems to be very fussy with the layout of the stylesheets whereas IE, FF, Opera all seem not to care so much.

& lets Webby concentrate on the 'real issues' well the ones that affect everyone

If you find my advice helpful - please click on my scales

<<<<<< - they're over there!

Well, it's a funny black star now ...

The small print - any advice I give is freely given on the understanding that I am a layman and am not legally qualified in anyway.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Whose idea was it to make all this like the Crypton Factor it wants simplifying not making even more technical than it already was I can`t be bothered to spend the extra time trying to locate things it`s doing my head in same with my online Lloyds Tsb ban account that as altered like CAG system it puts me off big style

Sorry if already noted but............... you know when you want to look up an old thread and can remember the OP but not the title - why is it that i can't check an OP's posts anymore?

ie. Laura (above post), click on username..... click on view posts......... returns a big fat bugger all in the search field?

Sorry if already noted but............... you know when you want to look up an old thread and can remember the OP but not the title - why is it that i can't check an OP's posts anymore?

ie. Laura (above post), click on username..... click on view posts......... returns a big fat bugger all in the search field?

Gives me 9 posts gezwee ?

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Gives me 9 posts gezwee ?

Soz, should know by now to say what I mean :-) nothing returning pre 06.08.10

Thinking about it, try checking your own as well just to see if it returns any historical posts

Edited by gezwee
cos I can :-)

The reason for the upgrade is because the software that ran the threads before is not going to be supported much longer, and when support ends that includes security updates, so they have moved to the new software that is supported and will still receive updates for a long time to come (we hope :p).

The old forum had a very familiar look and feel, I miss it as do most of the CAG imho. However I think the security of the site is paramount. Things like searching older posts has not been worked out yet. You can google search and get better results at the moment as the new forum doesn't search thrugh posts made by the old on (as of yet... webby will probably be sorting that) To google search, put in the search as you would on CAG and end it with site:consumeractiongroup.co.uk (that tells it the info you are after is on this site) Hope that helps :)

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Which visual niggles Bookie? I can help with those as I can just update my 'offline' page and style sheets and work with those

Chrome seems to be very fussy with the layout of the stylesheets whereas IE, FF, Opera all seem not to care so much.

& lets Webby concentrate on the 'real issues' well the ones that affect everyone

Capture2-1.jpg

and

Capture1.jpg

as you can see, no biggie. ;-)

Just noticed another glitch, albeit minor..

The Small Claims Procedure ad banner, which it is now apparent is moving down the page into whatever is the last post, is being overlaid by any quotation boxes.

Just looks a bit messy. Earlier it was displacing the quotes and making them very narrow.

A horizontal banner at the base of the last post might be an easy fix?

Elsa x

Capture2-1.jpg

and

Capture1.jpg

as you can see, no biggie. ;-)

Ok, the first can be fixed by editing the template file, finding the line which produces this

</pre>
<li class="popupmenu">View First Unread&nbs

and changing it to

</pre>
<li class="popupmenu">View First Unread&nbs

i.e. an &nbsp after Unread (I know another 'dirty Fix') just gives a little more space for the image which is a background image and Chrome renders it very tight to the text.

Fix tested in Chrome, FF, IE

What's wrong with the 2nd one Bookie - can't see for looking

The small print - any advice I give is freely given on the understanding that I am a layman and am not legally qualified in anyway.

Another niggle, when someone is quoted there is a link to their post, looks like this viewpost-right.png. That is only linking to the 1st post in the thread at the moment.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

email notifications of new posts to your subscribed threads seems to have stopped--is this 'upgrade' related or something else?

I still do not see any signatures on any posts-do others see signatures or is it just me with this minor issue?

PS-generally like the new look but hate the large advert that now appears to the right of the last post--distracts the eye from reading the post!-Yuk!

I'm getting email notifications

I am getting annoyed about the ad above appearing in every single thread as part of the 'last

post'

Otherwise it is getting better, although the thread stickies at the top still don't display properly.

If you use FF or Chrome then AdBlock is your friend (sorry site-team but I find them very annoying as well)

Something is seriously wrong with the site at the moment.

1) It is taking an age to view new posts / timing out, etc etc

2) Posts are not showing having posted, and then confirmed (by reading that post) at the end of the thread that you have posted. Although it then shows after some time.

3) I have just posted a reply, and it accepted it, then dumped me back to a screen with the advanced reply having started off in the quick reply section

4) All of the posts before the upgrade appear to be unfinadable in your control panel or by looking at a person's profile.

5) Looking at vB website, you may need to rebuild the post count after upgrading, in case you haven't done so yet. Which may help with number 4)

I fully appreciate the amount of work that you are doing behind the scenes, but the site is pretty hard to use now, as it is.

Something is seriously wrong with the site at the moment.

1) It is taking an age to view new posts / timing out, etc etc

2) Posts are not showing having posted, and then confirmed (by reading that post) at the end of the thread that you have posted. Although it then shows after some time.

3) I have just posted a reply, and it accepted it, then dumped me back to a screen with the advanced reply having started off in the quick reply section

4) All of the posts before the upgrade appear to be unfinadable in your control panel or by looking at a person's profile.

5) Looking at vB website, you may need to rebuild the post count after upgrading, in case you haven't done so yet. Which may help with number 4)

I fully appreciate the amount of work that you are doing behind the scenes, but the site is pretty hard to use now, as it is.

hi letsdothis,

yes, i am having problems loading page taking forever, keep googling, eventually get on, then to edit, not enough time

to give you to correct, then it duplicates, also some titiles are broken up on my lap top and can only read inbetween,

but i can just about make out what they are saying, the site seems to freeze a lot too, and have to log in again. t.q.

:p[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

totiesquoties

MY ADVICE IS BASED ON COMMON SENSE AND KNOWLEDGE FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, I AM NOT LEGALLY TRAINED, AND ALWAYS CHECK LEGAL ISSUES EITHER WITH A LEGAL PERSON, OR

THE APPROPRIATE LEGISLATION. :rolleyes:

IF I HAVE HELPED, PLEASE PRESS MY STAR, THANK YOU.:lol:

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5022 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks