Free computers and 1 years Broadband Internet for Families on Low Income.

adamrao
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5044 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This scheme is certainly one of the better ones brought in by the illustrious leader Mr. Brown and his party, don't think it will save his skin at the election though:D

The problem is, after bringing the scheme in, it has been so poorly advertised it is a crime...................

I am a parent governor at my daughters school, we qualify for one of these packages. I decided to research it and get the info out to those in our school that would qualify. I have yet to find one parent who knew about the scheme in any way shape or form. If you are going to bring these things in, then the people who are eligable should be notified of it.

We have organised drop in sessions at our school for aprents who need help in applying or filling out the form etc.

The other main issue with this, is you have to send your Child Benefit entitlement letter (less than 1 year old) with the application. This has resulted in the problems with the helpline being inundated with requests and massive delays in getting this letter sent out to you. I was told they are 2 weeks behind at the moment with requests, that was on Monday!

If you have Free School Meals, you automatically qualify and you don't have to send any verification in with the form, apart from the Child Benefit entitlement letter. Wouldn't you think they could have simplified this and checked from their end when they receive the application, which would speed everything up??? Or does that sound too simple

Edited by Simon7685

:)IF YOU ARE BORED WITH LITTLE TO DO:)

My Story - Simon -V- The (SH)Abbey - :!:WON / 19 November 2007:!:

SKY TV and the penalty charge - how far will it go?

Me V Its4me and Close Premium Finance:!:WON / 28 November 2007:!:

IF I CAN HELP, I WILL, IF I DO, THEN PLEASE CLICK ON THE SCALES ON THE LEFT

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I was unaware of it, or should I say I had heard it was going to be done but unaware it was already up and running! I shall be phoning tomorrow for application form, it is such a brilliant idea and my son will be over the moon if he can get his hands on a computer that doesnt keep freezing up everytime he tries to go on the website to do his homework :D (my graphics card is breathing its last breath and hates too much graphical movements lol).

xx

I must say that it was very quick and easy to apply. Within a week of receiving my Notice of Entitlement my card and PIN number arrived enabling me to go and get a laptop.

I got my laptop from my local Comet as none of the other stores in my town had any stock. Comet pre-installed a program called NetIntelligence which says it will block types of websites so your child will be unable to visit them. The problem is the program blocked Google, Wikipedia and Yahoo so my daughter was unable to do any research at all. I ended up uninstalling the program as it was just annoying.

The new Windows 7 Operating system has a built in program where you can restrict the times your child can be online for and you can block websites with that instead of using the NetIntelligence program Comet put on.

:cool::cool: Blondmusic :cool::cool:

the Home Access programme is now available nationally across England. :rolleyes:

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Hi,

Just thought i would mention this, i am in South Wales and applied for this even though it states England only.

I received the form at my swansea address, no questions asked, filled it in, sent it of, 2 weeks later i was accepted for the grant and 1 week after received my card and pin.

So well worth asking for a form if you are in Wales as it worked for me and not once on the phone was i told "No you are not eligible".:D:D

Please don't be offended by this, but, if the majority of people here have already got a computer, why get another one? I know it's for free, but that means there's kids out there in families that have no pc access, whatsoever, that will miss out cos some people want a free laptop cos they can. And from what someone has posted above, they're brand new laptops from comet.

Hopefully, i can get one of these for my daughter when she stays with me, as she's legally with her mum, so i don't qualify. Mind you, the only way I'll be getting one fo these new laptops is from the people who apply for them and sell them, and don't even tell me that this won't happen.

i`m gutted,my pc belongs to my eldest daughter who`s informed me now she`s gone self employed she will be taking the pc soon to her own home as she needs it more,my youngest who`s 17 still at school relies on it alot for all her school work,and all being well will stay at school for another 2 years so somehow i`v got to find the money for a pc or lap top,

Please don't be offended by this, but, if the majority of people here have already got a computer, why get another one? I know it's for free, but that means there's kids out there in families that have no pc access, whatsoever, that will miss out cos some people want a free laptop cos they can. And from what someone has posted above, they're brand new laptops from comet.

Hopefully, i can get one of these for my daughter when she stays with me, as she's legally with her mum, so i don't qualify. Mind you, the only way I'll be getting one fo these new laptops is from the people who apply for them and sell them, and don't even tell me that this won't happen.

I got a laptop under the Home Access Scheme even though i already have a pc. I heard about the scheme in my local newspaper and not from the internet. My pc is old and unreliable to say the least. It was second hand when i got it and i only paid £40 for it. The fan is noisy, it takes forever to do anything and when you finally think it is working the lousy thing crashes and you have to start again.

The laptop is for my daughters schoolwork and she is currently using the laptop for research on a school project (something she cant do on the slow desktop pc which i use). I havent connected the printer up to the laptop so anything my daughter needs to print off has to be transferred onto the desktop pc which has the printer attached (which was a bargain when i got it in 2007 for £40 brand new).

Yes some people will sell the new laptops but i wont as i know my daughter needs to use the laptop for her schoolwork.

You should be able to get a cheap pc or laptop if you have a look in your local paper as sometimes people upgrade and sell the old pc's and laptops to others. Thats how i got my last pc.

:cool::cool: Blondmusic :cool::cool:

i am a prat, I still havnt done the form. I start to have panic attacks going near them, got to kick myself up the bott or kids will miss out.

Actually think it has something to do with my eyesight. Its as short sighted as can be and everythings getting blurred again. Have to hold forms up to my nose to see, rediculous, kerrataconus gone mad.

Hi folks!

I don't know what all the fuss is about...

Community retailer BRIGHTHOUSE already has a wonderful scheme which allows people on low incomes to have access to a quality laptop and, thus, improve their lifestyle...

BrightHouse – Your weekly payment store!

ACER Gemstone Laptop, "cash" price at BrightHouse - £896.25.

Paid for over 2 years at £19.54 per week using their Hire Purchase credit deal (including Service Cover and Damage Liability Cover) total cost- £2,032.54

Typical High Street "cash" price - £599.00

On-Line price (Simply-Acer.com) - £449.00

(Just in case anyone is in any doubt... this is sarcasm!)

:D

Drop into the

CAG BRIGHTHOUSE forum for more enlightenment!

Cheers

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!

;)

Great idea on principle, but for 6-9 years old? Shouldn't we teach them to write by hand first?

(says she who's really p*ssed off that her 12 yo SEN child doesn't qualify even though he really, really could do with it... He currently uses an end of line one we got from Argos which needs to be cranked by hand, only has 2 gears and thinks Queen Victoria is a bit too avant-garde for its liking! :rolleyes:)

• 4 weeks later...

unfortunately for those of us who live in a 3rd world country with a 3rd world education (namely wales) our children and families on low income do not qualify for this..the money is better spent building a 30m pound talking shop down the bay area of cardiff...creating yet another tier of government that i for one voted against.. having worked in schools in both england and wales, the differences between the education of children in both countries especially in terms of IT is a gulf that is going to be difficult to close in future

I know of at least 5 people who have already sold the laptops, as, in their words,"because i can.". They say that they already had a pc and laptop, so may as well get one for free and sell it. Great that, isn't it? Meanwhile, people like the above post can't get one.

Sadly this is a sad enditement of the times we live in. The scheme itself is a great initiative and one of the few good things the great leader has done at least partially right.

The future of the country/world is based around IT, everywhere you look IT is becoming the way forward, of course we need other professions as well but to get on in life you are going to need IT. As a parent governor at my daughters primary school, I think this is fantastic and I have tried to encourage many of our families to apply and offered to help people to do it. The one big reservation we had was what is to stop people applying, getting and then selling. I looked into it and there is nothing you can do and nothing in place to stop it happening.

If parents can't see that the only thing they are compromising is their childs education for their own selfish greed then where do you go?

I just don't understand why it's only in England, and why it's only for 6-9 year olds. Some may not agree with me, but I believe it should've applied to 9-15 year olds. 6 year olds should be learning how to write and spell and the rest on paper, to set them up without relying on a keyboard.

The age of email has eliminated the need for handwritten letters, so we should be encouraging 6 year olds to learn writing, not taking it away. They all have access to a computer at least at school, and that's fine.

I just think it's wrong to not make them available to everyone, no matter you live in the country, and from the ages I mentioned, 9-15. Let's be honest, a 6 year old shouldn't be owning a laptop. That's just my opinion. Access to one, yes, under supervision, but not one of their own.

Agree with you as well, where you say,"If parents can't see that the only thing they are compromising is their childs education for their own selfish greed then where do you go?". When I did ask one of them who was selling, why did they get it in the first place, they answered that, although they had a high spec pc, and a top of the range laptop at home, if there was one avaliable for free, then may as well as apply and sell it, as we don't need one. Totally defeats the object altogether. When I told them they were depriving a needy kid of something their parents may not be able to afford, they just answered me with, first come, first serve. Unless it's against the law NOT to apply for one, then I will.

Incidently, that person in question told me how their son only uses the desktop pc, not the laptop, and that's to play games. He does all his homework on paper.

Edited by skonk

its not for ages 3-9 its for year groups aged 3-9 year 9 would equate to a 12 year old...agreed that there are people who will have the equipment and sell it on....dont quite understand why they have put the age limit on this either it doesnt seem to make any sense

Great idea on principle, but for 6-9 years old? Shouldn't we teach them to write by hand first?

(says she who's really p*ssed off that her 12 yo SEN child doesn't qualify even though he really, really could do with it... He currently uses an end of line one we got from Argos which needs to be cranked by hand, only has 2 gears and thinks Queen Victoria is a bit too avant-garde for its liking! :rolleyes:)

who is in school years 3 to 9 inclusive?

from their own website...i read that as attending school in years 3 to 9.. year 9 would be a child in secondary school in their 3rd year..i would ask again because according to their site the 12 year old should qualify providing the other criteria are met

Skonk it was initially only available in 2 pilot areas in England before being rolled out across the rest of England in January.

The reason it is not available in Scotland and Wales, I believe is concerned with politics. The Welsh and Scottish are in control of their own finances, so it would be up to them to implement it through their own governance.

It is very similar to prescriptions, we still have to pay for ours in England while the Welsh and Scottish parliaments opted to introduce free prescriptions for everyone. So if they want to implement the Home Access Scheme they will need to introduce it themselves and of course fund it from their budgets.

Just to confirm as others have said it is years 3 to 9 and not ages 3 to 9.