• Tweets

• 2 foot of sea level rise   The Thwaites Glacier — dubbed the “Doomsday” glacier because of the grave impacts for global sea level rise if it melts — is breaking down “much faster” than expected, according to a peer-reviewed study published on Monday in the academic journal, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. Using satellite imagery, scientists determined that widespread contact between the glacier and warm ocean water is speeding up the melting process. The climate crisis is interrupting natural processes across large parts of the continent, according to the Antarctic and Southern Ocean Coalition. The glacier, roughly the size of the United Kingdom, could cause global sea levels to rise more than two feet if it melts completely, according to the study. “Thwaites is the most unstable place in the Antarctic and contains the equivalent of 60 centimeters of sea level rise,” study co-author Christine Dow said in a statement. “The worry is that we are underestimating the speed that the glacier is changing, which would be devastating for coastal communities around the world,” she continued. Read the full story here.       or here ... from the India civil service currents affairs exam Doomsday glacier Antarctica‘s Thwaites Glacier, roughly the size of Britain, is a fast-moving glacier in West Antarctica. Because of the risk it faces — and poses — Thwaites is often called the Doomsday Glacier. Because of its size (1.9 lakh square km), it contains enough water to raise the sea level by more than half a metre. Thwaites’s melting already contributes 4% to global sea level rise each year. Thwaites are important for Antarctica as it slows the ice behind it from freely flowing into the ocean. Credits: BBC Vigorous melting Salty and relatively warm ocean water is infiltrating beneath Thwaites Glacier, leading to significantly speedy melting. This process, termed as “vigorous melting“, is eroding its stability. However, its potential collapse could lead to a staggering 10-foot rise in sea levels, posing a dire threat to coastal communities worldwide. Previous studies discovered a deep connection to the east through which deep water flows from Pine Island Bay. That study also attributed the melting to the heat transport caused by channels bringing warm water towards the glacier from the north. With melting, glaciers become light and float off the land where they used to be situated. The resulting retreating grounding line exposes more of a glacier’s base to seawater, increasing the risk of melting. Since the late 1990s, the glacier has seen a 14km retreat of its “grounding line.” The grounding line is the point where the ice flowing off the land and along the seabed floats up to form a huge platform.   https://www.pmfias.com/current-affairs-for-upsc-civil-services-exam-may-28-2024/   or here Satellite data reveals Antarctica's Thwaites Glacier is melting faster than we thought | Space WWW.SPACE.COM Seawater rushing miles beneath the glacier makes the ice more vulnerable to melting.  
    • I have notified all parties and will start a new thread.
    • The messaging app's boss has taken to social media to deny Mr Musk's claim it "exports user data."View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5222 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Inclined to agree with Hallowitch. I've recently [last few months or so] had an outstanding council tax file returned to the council by the bailiffs as there was nothing to collect on. Took a lot longer than 90 days. I'll try to see if I can find some dates but I'm sure it was a considerably long time...

Rae.

HELP! The bailiff has just phones my house (don't know how on nearth he got my number!) He said he was calling about the debt, I told him I was dealing with the council directly and he said as far as they were concerned that wasn't the case. I said I would be making no further payments to them but to the council. he said that he would see me tomorrow! What do I do I am panicking now!!!!

Hiya

I have another thread which I have had many helpful responses to, whilst the advice was great and made me feel confident about my next steps in NOT dealing with the bailiff I was thrown today by a phonecall I recieved from the Bailiff at my home, I can't for the life of me figure out how on earth he obtained by home number and the reality of actually dealing with him has left me having a panic attck this morning as his parting words to me were i will see you tomorrow!

All the reason and advice of how to deal with these people has been completly clouded by this contact can someone help me put this into persepective and advise me on my next steps, when he knocks tomorrow I need to stay calm and know what i need to do.

Thanks again

Cx

.....threads merged.dx

Edited by dx100uk
old post

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I have merged your threads. If you try and keep everything in here it is easier to keep up with you and see what is the best advice to give you. :)

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Hi Again,

Could someone check th letter to the bailiff, in case he does turn up tomrrow as he promised to do, I want to make sure I have covered off everything that is factual.

Thanks again for your help..

The council appears to have appointed you to recover my Council Tax Liability arrears. Firstly I would like to make you aware that I am fully aware of my rights and by way of this letter I am notifying you that you are being denied peaceful entry to my home or to levy goods contained within. This notice revokes your eligibility to charge a Walking Possessions fee or other fee relating to the handling of goods. As you are aware it is not a "criminal offence" to deny a bailiff entry to my property, if you suggest otherwise I will report you to the police.

Due to your unrealistic and unreasonable payment terms stated on the notice you hand delivered to me on 11th January 2010 (Full and Final payment within 24 hours) and in accordance with Office of Fair Trading Guidelines where they take very seriously any evidence of business practices appearing to them to be deceitful, oppressive or otherwise unfair or improper (whether unlawful or not). I will now be paying the council directly for this debt via their online facility as outlined the enclosed copy letter to Croydon Council.

Please provide me with an itemised statement of my account that clearly shows what fees have been added and what for, you are required in statute to supply this information and I look forward to receiving it within 14 days.

If you fail to comply with the above or an irregularity with your fees is subsequently discovered, I will enter in no further correspondence with you and automatically file a Form 4 against you for dishonestly by defrauding me with fees. This may also involve a criminal investigation by police and you and your firm's principle director(s) may receive a criminal record for assisting an offender, benefiting from proceeds of crime and committing offences under the Fraud Act 2006.

I’ll look forward to receiving my statement within timescales above, now please quietly leave my property, if you continue to contact me via telephone I will have no hesitation in contacting the police to initiate Harassment Proceedings against you.

This document has been passed to you by hand with a copy sent to your Head office at 42-44 Henry Street in Northampton and to Croydon Council, Council Tax Collections Dept.

Hi Again,

Could someone check th letter to the bailiff, in case he does turn up tomrrow as he promised to do, I want to make sure I have covered off everything that is factual.

Thanks again for your help..

The council appears to have appointed you to recover my Council Tax Liability arrears. Firstly I would like to make you aware that I am fully aware of my rights and by way of this letter I am notifying you that you are being denied peaceful entry to my home or to levy goods contained within. This notice revokes your eligibility to charge a Walking Possessions fee or other fee relating to the handling of goods. As you are aware it is not a "criminal offence" to deny a bailiff entry to my property, if you suggest otherwise I will report you to the police.

Due to your unrealistic and unreasonable payment terms stated on the notice you hand delivered to me on 11th January 2010 (Full and Final payment within 24 hours) and in accordance with Office of Fair Trading Guidelines where they take very seriously any evidence of business practices appearing to them to be deceitful, oppressive or otherwise unfair or improper (whether unlawful or not). I will now be paying the council directly for this debt via their online facility as outlined the enclosed copy letter to Croydon Council.

Please provide me with an itemisedstatement of my account that clearly shows what fees have been added and what for, you are required in statute to supply this information and I look forward to receiving it within 14 days.

If you fail to comply with the above or an irregularity with your fees is subsequently discovered, I will enter in no further correspondence with you and automatically file a Form 4 against you for dishonestly by defrauding me with fees. This may also involve a criminal investigation by police and you and your firm's principle director(s) may receive a criminal record for assisting an offender, benefiting from proceeds of crime and committing offences under the Fraud Act 2006.

I’ll look forward to receiving my statement within timescales above, now please quietly leave my property, if you continue to contact me via telephone I will have no hesitation in contacting the police to initiate Harassment Proceedings against you.

This document has been passed to you by hand with a copy sent to your Head office at 42-44 Henry Street in Northampton and to Croydon Council, Council Tax Collections Dept.

To: [NAME OF BAILIFF]

BY HAND

[DATE]

Dear Bailiffs,

Re: Your visit to [1st LINE OF ADDRESS]

A creditor appears to have instructed you to recover a debt from me.

This letter gives you notice that you are being denied peaceful entry to my home or to levy goods contained within and I will not be signing anything for you. This notice revokes your eligibility to charge a Walking Possessions fee or other fee relating to the handling of goods.

Please be advised it is not a "criminal offence" to deny a bailiff entry to my property, if you suggest otherwise I will report you to the police under Section 25 of the Theft Act 1968 and you may receive a criminal record . Meanwhile please provide me with a written breakdown of your fees you have demanded and put it through the letterbox.

A bailiff who dishonestly charges for work that has not been done will be committing an offence under the Fraud Act 2006. Section 2 of the Act specifically describes a person dishonestly makes a false representation and intends, by making the representation, to make a gain for himself or another, or cause a loss to another, or expose another to a risk of loss therefore, if no satisfactory refund is made to me within 24 hours from now I will automatically file a complaint to police under the 2006 Fraud Act and the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002. If you have charged VAT on unlawful fees then you may be reported for VAT fraud and your documents will be given in evidence. If you are certificated, a Form 4 will be filed.

This document has been passed to you by hand and a photograph of you standing outside reading it has just been taken as proof of delivery. I now ask that you quietly leave the property.

Yours Faithfully

YOUR NAME

Above is one of Happy Contrails letters, use it to your own purposes.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again,

I haven't heard from the bailiff since I wrote to him, I have however now received a note back from the council who have said the following:

I have paid the council what I said I would in my letter this month, shall I continue to do so even though they have told me not to. Is it worth me writing back to them if I am not happy with the decision. I haev also just found out that I am pregnant and not sure whether this would be classed as a vunerable situation.

Thank you for your e-mails dated 11th and 12th January 2010 regarding your outstanding council tax liability at the above address. Please accept my apologies for the delay in replying.

My records show that you owe the Council the sum of £2586.95 after a 25% discount has been granted for the current year.

I have checked my records and would advise that although you have been in occupation since 24 August 2007 and have been granted a single person discount, no payment has been received until the liability orders have been referred to the Council's bailiffs.

In view of the above, I regret that I am not prepared to recall the liability orders from Equita, who are acting as the Council's bailiffs in this matter. I would also advise that you have had plenty of opportunity to settle the arrears. Your failure to do so resulted in the liability orders being referred to the bailiffs, thus incurring additional costs. I can however, instruct the bailiff to extend the collection of the debt provided a reasonable offer is made.

Equita, was also advised of your reduced liability.

Please make your payments directly to Equita until the debt is settled.

If you wish to make a complaint against the bailiff, please write to the manager of the company. If you are not satisfied with the reply then I can escalate the matter for you.

If you are on a low income, I would suggest that you complete a benefit application form online and send all the relevant documents to the Benefit Section to enable them to assess your claim.

Should your application be successful, any necessary adjustment will be made to your council tax account.

A statement of account has been sent under separate cover as requested. A direct debit form was also sent should you wish to take this option to pay your council tax in future.

Yours sincerely

Hi again,

Thank you for your e-mails dated 11th and 12th January 2010 regarding your outstanding council tax liability at the above address. Please accept my apologies for the delay in replying.

My records show that you owe the Council the sum of £2586.95 after a 25% discount has been granted for the current year.

I have checked my records and would advise that although you have been in occupation since 24 August 2007 and have been granted a single person discount, no payment has been received until the liability orders have been referred to the Council's bailiffs.

You would need to show willing and quite a few regular payments

In view of the above, I regret that I am not prepared to recall the liability orders from Equita, who are acting as the Council's bailiffs in this matter. I would also advise that you have had plenty of opportunity to settle the arrears. Your failure to do so resulted in the liability orders being referred to the bailiffs, thus incurring additional costs. I can however, instruct the bailiff to extend the collection of the debt provided a reasonable offer is made.

Equita, was also advised of your reduced liability.

Please make your payments directly to Equita until the debt is settled.

I would still pay Council, if still no levt made then budget extra money on top for Bailiff visit fees

If you wish to make a complaint against the bailiff, please write to the manager of the company. If you are not satisfied with the reply then I can escalate the matter for you.

If you are on a low income, I would suggest that you complete a benefit application form online and send all the relevant documents to the Benefit Section to enable them to assess your claim.

Do this if needed, however doesn't mean that you have to stop paying while application dealt with

Should your application be successful, any necessary adjustment will be made to your council tax account.

A statement of account has been sent under separate cover as requested. A direct debit form was also sent should you wish to take this option to pay your council tax in future.

Yours sincerely

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Just Wanted To Say A Big Thanks You To The Forum And Everyone That Helped With Their Advice, Council Has Accepted Payment Arrangement And Suspended Bailiff Action After Persisting With Them.

Thanks Again Guys You Have No Idea What A Releif It Is, You Are Priceless!!!

A Very Happy And Relieved Stouffy Who Can Now Park The Car On Her Road And Not Have A Panic Attack Everytime A White Van Is In Her Vicinity.

Xxx

well done everyone

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Just Wanted To Say A Big Thanks You To The Forum And Everyone That Helped With Their Advice, Council Has Accepted Payment Arrangement And Suspended Bailiff Action After Persisting With Them.

Thanks Again Guys You Have No Idea What A Releif It Is, You Are Priceless!!!

A Very Happy And Relieved Stouffy Who Can Now Park The Car On Her Road And Not Have A Panic Attack Everytime A White Van Is In Her Vicinity.

Xxx

Well done Stouffy! I feel your relief and totally know what you mean about the "white van" dread........

Congratulations again! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I sent this letter:

Dear Mark,

Whilst I can appreciate that in your view I have not made a payment to date and that I have apparently had plenty of opportunities to pay the debt, I would like to make you aware of the fact that I have suffered from clinical depression for the last 6 years which I am on prescribed medication for and as a result haven't been able to work regular or consistent hours over the last 2.5 years so my income has been sporadic over this period of time. As a result I have accumulated other debts not just yours which isn't an easy thing to deal with in my condition. I am offended at your presumption that I was in a position that allowed me to comfortably live and pay my bills.

Life has moved on positively for me over the last 4 months, my condition has stabilized and I have a good and steady job with a regular income which has provided me the opportunity to pay off my debts, so as per my previous emails my offer of payment in full by 25th of March still stands.

I am 7 weeks pregnant, that coupled with the fact that my condition and panic attacks associated are triggered by distressing situations I will hold the council and you responsible for any stress incurred affecing me and my unborn child by the aggressive, rude and vexatious people that turn up at my home to demand money from me unreasonably when I have offered a very reasonable payment arrangement.

As advised by my doctor and in accordance with the national standards for enforcement agents I fall under the vulnerable situation category for two reasons 1) I am pregnant and 2) I have a condition that falls under the DDA.

As I said I will continue to pay the debt to the Council as I refuse to be bullied and threatened by the bailiff you have instructed to collect the debt on your behalf.

I look forward to your response.

I sent this letter:

Dear Mark,

Whilst I can appreciate that in your view I have not made a payment to date and that I have apparently had plenty of opportunities to pay the debt, I would like to make you aware of the fact that I have suffered from clinical depression for the last 6 years which I am on prescribed medication for and as a result haven't been able to work regular or consistent hours over the last 2.5 years so my income has been sporadic over this period of time. As a result I have accumulated other debts not just yours which isn't an easy thing to deal with in my condition. I am offended at your presumption that I was in a position that allowed me to comfortably live and pay my bills.

Life has moved on positively for me over the last 4 months, my condition has stabilized and I have a good and steady job with a regular income which has provided me the opportunity to pay off my debts, so as per my previous emails my offer of payment in full by 25th of March still stands.

I am 7 weeks pregnant, that coupled with the fact that my condition and panic attacks associated are triggered by distressing situations I will hold the council and you responsible for any stress incurred affecing me and my unborn child by the aggressive, rude and vexatious people that turn up at my home to demand money from me unreasonably when I have offered a very reasonable payment arrangement.

As advised by my doctor and in accordance with the national standards for enforcement agents I fall under the vulnerable situation category for two reasons 1) I am pregnant and 2) I have a condition that falls under the DDA.

As I said I will continue to pay the debt to the Council as I refuse to be bullied and threatened by the bailiff you have instructed to collect the debt on your behalf.

I look forward to your response.

nice one, am very impressed, and they took back the debt after receiving that letter?

Thanks for your messages I wouldn't of even of known where to start without the site and advice, and ploddertom I will definately keep to it, can't go through that again!!

Once agaion thanks guys x