horror 118's have bought all mobile numbers

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5395 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just a thought - something that I discovered a while back on a search for a completely different topic on the web - is there not software that can be purchased so that your mobile phone number can be traced geographically?

If so, your number in the wrong hands would allow them to find out where you are.

If I've got this wrong and it's nothing of the sort, let me know and I'll delete the post so it doesn't upset folks.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A year ago I would have been horrifed at the thought, but since finding this fabulous site and having spent hours laughing at the brilliant posts in the "Cheekiness towards a DCA" thread I am now not worried in the slightest

..... in fact seeing as there's nothing much on telly these days you could have quite an entertaining evening! :grin:

You can track a phone but you have to be able to get hold of it to accept it and pay a subscription. Fine if you want to keep track of the kids and tell them but pretty underhand and not pleasant to do if someone isn't aware of it. Very Jeremy Kyle (gosh, that man makes me sick).

As far as I know it's only 118 800 that have the numbers to connect to but it's sure to take off and other companies will emulate.

I emailed my provider (Virgin Mobile) about this and they rang me today to ensure me that they have NOT released my numebr to this firm - they also stated quite categorically that they have not released anyone elses' details either.

Welshwizard QC (Quite Content):rolleyes:

I emailed my provider (Virgin Mobile) about this and they rang me today to ensure me that they have NOT released my numebr to this firm - they also stated quite categorically that they have not released anyone elses' details either.

In my experience Virgin Media cannot be trusted and will say whatever they think you want to hear to make you go away.

In my experience Virgin Media cannot be trusted and will say whatever they think you want to hear to make you go away.

I have nothing but confidence in Virgin Mobile - every time I have asked them a question or asked them to do something they have always responded in the way I expect a service organistion to. I woudl also add that I have had experience of T-mobile, Orange and Vodafone and Virgin are by far the best.

As far as this issue is concerned they also recommended to text 'E' to 118800 just in case my number has crept into this mob's database from other sources- eg. ISP, Catalogue companies - oh and Debt Collection Agencies! So, do I trust Virgin (with whom I have never had a problem) or do I trust an anonymous organisation - possibly a DCA (with whom I have had more than a little involvement)?

Welshwizard QC (Quite Content):rolleyes:

The only directory with millions of mobile numbers - 118800

I know it is a commercial link but i thought that as it gives the opt out section in the top right then it might be accepted. Sorry if it is not.

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

I notice that 118800 do not give out mobile numbers but send you a text and charge the person searching £1 so you could just ignore the text and let the dca waste it money .It still is appalling these firms having our mobile munbers . i have tryed to serch for myself and it could not find me

believe it is 118118 who have bought the directory numbers for all mobiles registered in the uk, wonder how long it will be before the bottom feeding dca's start bothering us on our mobile phones now they can get access to the database.. another bad day for democracy

you can now buy call blockers for mobile phone

just google mobile phone call blockers

debt4get it is

I have linked the website on the previous page so u can look.

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

linky for removing your number on line....

Remove Me

The database will be updated every day, so even if your numbers not there now, it might be add somtime in the future...so best to be proactive and tell them your number is not to be added.

Cost £1 per search, might put the DCA's off a bit anyway

it does not cost 31 per serch i hvae done loads of searches which have all been free.

The £1. is to text the person on your behalf.

this has come DIRECT from there website.

We do NOT give out

mobile phone numbers.

Instead, when you search on 118800.co.uk, we´ll send an SMS message to the person you´re seeking, giving them your contact details so they can call you back.

For more information, see our how it works demo, or read our FAQ´s page.

In order to start your search:

• 1. Fill in the details of who you want to contact
  • 2. If we find them, we'll text them with your details
  • 3. You'll be charged £1 if we succeed

Find out more about how it works >>

Just made myself ex-directory - should hopefully put a stop to stupid "Do you want a new phone for nothing..." calls I've been receiving over the last few days. I like my phone and I am on a corporate contract with a good deal so no I do not want to change either!

Just made myself ex-directory - should hopefully put a stop to stupid "Do you want a new phone for nothing..." calls I've been receiving over the last few days. I like my phone and I am on a corporate contract with a good deal so no I do not want to change either!

truecall every tiem - its the dogs doo dahs