horror 118's have bought all mobile numbers

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5395 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello C!

I wonder what field they'll enter next GPS where they can home in on a mobile to see where it is?
I bet that has already crossed their minds!

Indeed, I think the technology already allows this, it's now mainly a question of who gets access to it.

A Mobile Phone Company, if it wanted to, could monitor a Mobile, and see where it stops at Night. Ah, that'll be their Home then. Quick GPS fix and Google, and they'll have the Postcode and Address.

Then they'll see it move around in the Morning, stopping for 10 mins (Google, ah, that'll be a Petrol Station, so bloke has a Car/Bike/Van), before stopping somewhere else. Quick GPS fix and Google, and they'll know it's a Business Address, and from that they can work out likely employer.

Put this into the hands of a CRA, and they can cross-check other issues, and may be able to link ATM use, Debit/Credit Card spending etc etc by linking to the movements of the Mobile.

Taken to an extreme, a DCA can wait for you to get home, and be there just as you arrive, because the Mobile is tracked and your ETA more or less known.

Scary stuf, but the technology is here. In the right hands, such as MI5 tracking Terrorists, no problem with me, but in the hands of the Debt Industry, no so good, not so good at all!

It's getting to the stage where if you want to avoid such intrusion, you need to keep a pocket full of PAYG SIMs and load one at work, one for moving around, and one at Home, and never activate the wrong one in the wrong place, or that SIM will be linked to that Address.

Our Regulators should be making sure such Data use is very carefully supervised, and not handed over in such a way that other groups can gain unrestricted and unsupervised access.

There are good uses for this, such as locating and tracking children, or keeping a track of Vehicles for Delivery Routing and anti-theft/asset tracking, but that should be by specific consent, not made available for general use without the owner of the SIM being aware.

Cheers,

BRW

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Off to the Car Boot Sale it is then, to buy a big bag of PAYG SIMs!

Cheers,

BRW

Thats the way to do it, BRW!

I would also advise anyone who is able to manage on PAYG cell phones;

buy 2 or 3 cheap basic ones by cash, before they start bringing in more restrictions and when you buy do not claim points on your supermarket reward cards;

CASH ONLY.

AC

buy 2 or 3 cheap basic ones by cash, before they start bringing in more restrictions and when you buy do not claim points on your supermarket reward cards;

CASH ONLY.

AC

And do not register the 'phones with the 'phone company. Some try to tempt people by offering free 'phone credit if you register.

And do not register the 'phones with the 'phone company. Some try to tempt people by offering free 'phone credit if you register.

Yes!

Another trick, is when you receive free txts on ones PAYG;

they send through txts stating that you have won a special prize/treat;

all you have to do is to log on to their site and register for your "TREAT".

The only TREAT, is that by doing this they have all your data and can track you back via your ISP!

Big Brother is watching YOU...Outrageous, a Nanny State.

AC

The trouble is, we don't really know what their true aims were/are in all of this.

We've spotted that there is a Debt Collector linked to the Address of Connectivity Limited, so it's quite possible all the glossy Mobile Directory front is just a token smoke screen so the Debt Industry can harvest a large sector of Data it does not yet have a full hook into...namely Mobile Phones.

We may be amused by their Web Server getting overloaded, but if the primary aim was gathering Data, I expect they will be over the Moon at how successful it has been. Even if they shut down in a few Months time, they will finish with a huge chunk of Data that they can then Sell. I fear that was probably the aim all along.

To put this into some perspective, it may be worth knowning that some of the Price Comparison Web Sites that are also being heavily advertised at the moment, have groups such as Experian lurking right behind them.

Insurance

Loans

Mortgages

Holidays

Debt

Debt

Debt

...spot the trend? Notice the similarities in style?

In my view, anything that has elements of the Debt Industry lurking in the background is plain bad news and should be avoided.

Just like those annoying Credit Expert adverts you see everywhere. The annoying blinking/flashing things are even right in your face when viewing your Watched Item List on eBay...always at the top of your screen, always in your face, always annoying for any CAGGER!

People click on that, and end up filling in a Form thinking how jolly fun and funky it would be to see how their Credit is doing. When in reality, they are just having their Data hoovered out of them to top up the CRA Servers with more juicy bits to cross-check and hand out to the nearest DCA, or any one of a number of annoying Companies trying to sell you stuff you really do not need...like non-mandatory Insurances/Debt, and Mortgages/Debt, and Equity Release/Debt and Loans/Debt.

These people are gathering Data like mad 24x7, and our tame Regulators are doing very little about it.

The best we can do is keep educating friends and family to be on their guard at all times, and start being more aware of the multitude of cunning methods the Debt Industry employs just to grab at our Data.

It is sadly ironic that despite the billions of Credit Checks that have been made, we are all now neck deep in one of the biggest banking related downturns yet seen. I would argue that having access to so much Data has achieved the square root of Foxtrot all in preventing the very problems the Debt Industry say they can avoid by having access to it!

Cheers,

BRW

now, if you could find a legal link between the two companies

POW.................

CASH ONLY.

AC

its easy to unlock and jail break iphones so theres no reason why you cant have a good phone with a PAYG card if you want one that is

GPS has been fully operational since 1995, no point worrying about after the fact :p

Global Positioning System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes, but not for mobile 'phones; List of devices with Assisted GPS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mobile phone tracking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

deffo shame

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Dear Dear, it's still down. Did I mention I have a very large family? :D

Going back to GSM tracking, legislation is clear that the registered owner of the phone, or their legal guardian, has to be informed, by text message to the phone, that they are being tracked.

Not only is this done at the outset, when tracking is set up, but random messages are also sent pedriodically (about once a month) reminding them of the fact.

Reputable companies must and do comply with this.

However...if we want to go down the paranoia route...and why not, with the tactics we see them use on here?...there are also standalone gsm trackers available quite cheaply.(Search Ebay!) which are basically a sim card in a magnetic widget which can be quickly fixed under a subjects car, and just as easily removed. :eek:

(Knowledged garnered courtesy of having a great deal of time on my hands, certain computer skills and a family member being treated very badly by her partner...;))

Elsa x

Edited by Undercover-Elsa
duslyxic

Off to the Car Boot Sale it is then, to buy a big bag of PAYG SIMs!

Cheers,

BRW

BRW i keep getting them sent to me by companys who claim i apply for them.

I recieved 2 t mobile ones today if u want them they will only be returned to sender if not.

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

The online opt out service is available now:

Remove Me

I've promptly removed myself & my husband, and will be telling all my contacts. It's horrendous. I don't even give my mobile number to some RELATIVES never mind the world!

Elsa x

The only directory with millions of mobile numbers - 118800

I know it is a commercial link but i thought that as it gives the opt out section in the top right then it might be accepted. Sorry if it is not.

Website temporarily suspended:rolleyes::lol:

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

According to this they have 'shut down' Does anyone know the latest?

Mobile directory blames press for latest failure ? The Register

OR..........

it has realised that so many people want to be removed that if it continues in this way they will have bought 15 million numbers that have no commercial value to them !!

If the dont re commence then all those who have contacted them have increased the data base knowledge of whats left on their systems and who is going to ensure these don't get flogged off to the dca in teh same building

Am I barking up the wrong tree here... but surely the only way they have bought my or your number is through companies who should have it through legitimate means - ie I have ticked a box/signed something agreeing for third party use...

as a third party is this 118 company not legally liable for abuse of my data protection if they cannot provide me with evidence of that ticked box or signed confirmation?

Just wondering if its a nice loophole for the company to be sued or fined out of existence.

Also considering how they claim to have gathered the data etc, how can they be so confident that they do not have kiddies mobiles?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Also, what is the DPA letter that orders a company to stop processing your data forfwith?

Surely that would require them to process the request with far more haste?

Love to see their faces if 100,000 of them arrived in the letterbox ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Also, what is the DPA letter that orders a company to stop processing your data forfwith?

15,000,000 would be better

You meen an S.10.

Imagine 15,000000 of those in the PO box :lol::lol::lol: