There is a god, 1st Credit gets a SERIOUS slap from OFT - Re Stat Demands etc

Curlyben
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5539 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

At long last the OFT has taken action against unfair issuance of SD's and other misleading activities from our favourite DCA, First Credit Ltd

OFT imposes requirements on 1st Credit over debt collection practices

20/09 25 February 2009

The OFT has taken action against 1st Credit Ltd requiring the company to improve its debt collection practices.

The OFT has imposed 'requirements' on 1st Credit using consumer credit powers, after an investigation found that some of its business processes and procedures failed to meet satisfactory standards. As a result, 1st Credit Ltd and its associated companies must:

* refrain from issuing statutory demands warning of bankruptcy where it is unlikely that proceedings will be initiated

* not discuss legal action with consumers unless it is likely that such action will be taken

* ensure that sensitive cases involving vulnerable individuals, for example those with mental health or medical problems, are dealt with appropriately, and

* ensure that all matters of concern raised with them by the free advice sector and other third parties are dealt with appropriately.

1st Credit must also report back to the OFT every six months providing statistics regarding the number of enforcement actions it has taken against debtors.

Failure to comply with the requirements could lead to a fine of up to £50,000 for occurance and/or possible revocation of 1st Credit's consumer credit licence.

http://www.oft.gov.uk/news/press/2009/20-09 - PRESS RELEASE

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/press_release_attachments/1stcreditrequirements.pdf - 1ST CREDITS / CONNAUGHTS / LCS DIRECTIVES

• Haha 2

Be VERY careful whose advice you listen too

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FANTASTIC NEWS oh i like that bit about vulnerable people,

well oft i applaud you finally got the gears from stalling at the first post

im enjoying all this now,

laters angel x:D

Im happy to help with support and my own thoughts, but if I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action.:)

my new motto is,,,",Taking back control of your life and home - such peace is priceless"

This is all due to truecall device , have a serious peek at this you will be thankful like I am x laters angel :D

I am currently dealing, as an authorised rep, with 1st Credit, who have continued to harass the client by phone whilst in default of a CCA. I've now made a formal complaint and rang them this morning to clarify a point (namely that they have continued to leave phone messages); they were very polite and at pains to assure me that the complaint would be properly dealt with and no further contact made with my client. Maybe the OFT has grown some at last!

I cannot emphasise this stongly enough;

when a DCA uses Unfair Practices;

report the matter to Consumer Direct and to the OFT...

remember, the OFT's wheel's turn very slowly, but if consumers do not complain, then the OFT will never know what has and/is occurring!

COMPLAIN, COMPLAIN, COMPLAIN!!!

AC

The OFT told me to contact the Information Commissioner about Next and their lack of CCA.

The Information Commissioner told me that Next don't need to have a signed CCA because the Data Protection Act doesn't state they need a signed contract.

Totally confused with that lot.

The ICO told me to email all my documents and they will look into it.. but doesn't that interfere if I start court proceedings? :confused:

When I tried to complain via consumer direct about Lloyds and their 'representatives' I was told they didn't do this and I would have to go to the FOS after going through Lloyds formal complaints procedure so I will be emailing OFT using the address above

If you can keep you head when all of those around you are losing theirs try parking your helicopter somewhere else

The PPI Saga

Great.............sorry to be a wet blanket. My only concern is who decides whats 'valid' or not the debtor or 1st Credit or even the OFT who have proven previously that they think we shouldn't use a 'technicality' to avoid paying a debt, even though that 'technicality' is based in law:mad:

It's great news that the OFT have been finally prodded into action but being the cynical gal I am, suspect it had more to do with the expose of First Credit on Panorama some months ago than it did the mountainous piles of complaints from CAgers & others.

Still a long way to go in the battle I fear...

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

As I stated on the Lowell's UK26 thread this still seems very weak as in all things OFT.

It appears to allow 1st credit to "interpret" the guidelines ie

"It is commercislly viable" (In whose opinion?)

"The case has been fully reviewed" (by whom?) "& is considered reasonable" (Reasonable by 1st credit standars?)

All I can see is a load of "we thought we were doing as we were told" Another load of complaints to the OFT that'll take 9 months to address, meanwhile Farce Crudite will be bullying and intimidating as per usual.

The only positive thing it does is highlight how seriously these low life bottom feeders are prepared to flout Laws and government guidelines

I don't think it matters about if it was the bad press on tv or mass complaints from people taking advice from consumer forums.

What matters is in the current climate the media are now taking notice of our DCA horror stories, and action is being taken against them. If we're to take a few DCA's down. Now is the best chance we will ever get to hit them where it hurts most.

The more bad press they get and the more complaints we make, the stronger we'll become. But we are winning. Look at how many cases CAG members have won recently. UK26 has Experien and Lowells looking like frightened rabbits in car headlights. In what should be golden times for DCA's, some of them are struggling.

We have nothing to lose apart from a little bit of time/stamps/and paper. :D

These are video links to show how I deal with Debt Collectors.

Fly fishing for C.A.R.S

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zPtzK8FqE6k&feature=related

Frederickson International don't accept my card type

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eiZBULlWW6Q&feature=related

It's good to see something is being done and handy to know the circumstances which the OFT takes a dim view of; I'm of poor health, low income, no job and have no assets, for instance.

However, I think it's wholly inadequate that they rely on complaints - how can the mentally ill complain for instance?

What a heartwarming announcement,it was a long time coming but have the OFT finally developed some teeth.

It was an SD from Connaught(on behalf of 1st Credit) that bought me to this site so I am delighted to say that I've become a statistic in what could become 1st Credit's downfall.

It may take a while longer to bring them down but the tide does seem to be turning at last.