Broken Shower Screen

Bazooka1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3177 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have found this forum whilst searching the internet for some advice concerning a shattered shower screen.

I went away at the start of August and left my keys with a builder to refit my bathroom.

We ordered everything through him.

While we were away there was a leak but it seemed to have been repaired.

We came back mid August, and there was still a lot to be done and then a fair bit of snagging.

It was finally finished and we paid him on Friday just gone.

1 hour after payment, there was an almighty crash and bang.

The new shower screen had literally shattered and exploded all over the bathroom.

The builder came round and cleared up the mess and said he would be back with a new screen.

I was so shocked by the incident that I didn't inspect the bath with him

however upon closer inspection, there appears to be over 25 areas of damage in the bath, from gouges to scratches. It's an absolute mess.

I let the builder know yesterday but I haven't heard anything from him as yet.

I was wondering if anybody could offer advice as to whose responsibility this is?

I feel that having spent £5k on a new bathroom that it surely can't be mine but I don't really know what my rights are.

Thanks

you will certainly be entitled to get it repaired or replaced

now if the builder is responsible

through ill fitting of the glass door

or

the door had a manufacturing fault

is for them to argue out.

there are several threads here regarding these door shattering

use the search in the middle of out red toolbar.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Sounds like they have been working stood in the bath with no protection to their feet...I would also be requested a replacement.

"I was so shocked by the incident that I didn't inspect the bath with him however upon closer inspection, there appears to be over 25 areas of damage in the bath, from gouges to scratches. It's an absolute mess. "

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

unless the shower door did this when it exploded....

and they

Doubt the glass would gouge DX.....professional trades men would not stand in the bath... some do when there is no other option but with shoe protectors on.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Sorry I should have been a little better with my explanation. The shower screen had an extension and it is the extension that failed. So the screen fell in and it is where the screen landed that there are gouges.

The extension was fixed and about 8 inches wide. The screen was then hinged at this point. I hope you see what I mean!

Builder responsible for all work.

Court would look at balance of probability. It failed after an hour and caused the damage.

Builder will have to pay to put right and try to reclaim from own insurance or from retail outlet they got the screen from. But they should make sure they collect all evidence e.g photographs and a written statement from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

My Dad had the same issue. After 2 exploding screens, local glass company found out that the glass was not correct for the frame and usage. It was under too much stress in the frame, would not allow for changed atmopheric conditions. They fitted a different type of glass and did not happen again.

I would be concerned about the same glass screen being fitted, if it is from same manufacturer and same batch.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread