Confusing second Rockwell letter- i'd appreciate some help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4170 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys,

I recently got a letter from Pace Forward asking me to 'contact them about a personal matter.' Reading about them on this forum gave me enough info as to who they are and what they do, ie. a DCA phishing for debts.

So i expected the follow up letter. This was from Rockwell and informed me i owe apprx £440 to Arrow Global, original lender Royal Bank of Scotland.

I know nothing about this debt. The only dealings i've had with RBS was when I had a joint business account nearly 20 years ago. The account was closed in about 1992/93 and not in debt.

I could do with some advice. I want to ignore the letter, as i don't want to give them any opportunity to 'phish me.' However i also want to protect myself and my household (from phone calls, possible house call.) So should i send the 'prove it' letter? (i have the template letter.)

Any of your thoughts and advice wold be appreciated. The most annoying thing is, when I got the demand letter there was a part of me that said 'just pay it and get them off your back' which is exactly why they do this. Because a lot of people get a bit shaken when the receive official looking and out of the blue demands for money.

Which other organisations can I complain to and ask for advice? Am going to CAB tomorrow morning.

thanks

Hi and welcome to CAG!

If they haven't phoned yet, I would suggest you carry on ignoring them! Don't waste the price of a stamp on the pond life.

thanks- very succinct! Does them phoning me change things then? I've no idea if they have tried to call as we get so many unsolicited calls in the evening we only answer if we recognise a number. Chances are not as there were no missed calls from any of their offices

Of course they have no way of telling if i've received their letters (which are probably automated anyway)

If you dont recognise the debt then you can either ignore or simply write back saying you have no idea what they are on about it and to provide proof that they have the right person.

By the sounds of things, if the debt is yours, then it is likely to be statute barred now anyway !..

Have you had a peek at your credit files to see if any thing is being reported !

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

can anyone offer any last advice? For peace of mind I'm tempted to send the 'prove it' letter, as i feel i would cover myself by stating knowledge of my rights. However, if the 'ten day threat' is simply an empty template generated scare tactic then i will just ignore- anyone have experience of what happens after ten days?

thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys, I posted my situation recently (Rockwell- is this the right strategy?)

I've got a really confusing letter from Rockwell today that I need advice on how to deal with.

Quick overview of recent events. i'll paraphrase

1.Got letter from Pace, the one that says 'call us on a personal matter.' Ignored.

2. Letter from Rockwell. "We have been instructed by arrow to contact you for the above debt. You have ten days to pay or..."

I have no idea where the debt they quote (Royal Bank of Scotland) comes from. On advice from this forum I ignored it.

3. Now got another Rockwell letter. I'll just pick out a few phrases. "You received a Notice of Assignment letter on or around 10th November and we advised you that Arrow Global had purchased above debt. (the letter actually arrived Oct 25th.) This was sent in error and we apologise. Your debt is still owed to RBS. It is essential that all future payments and correspondence be direct to Rockwell using above details". They then list the debt amount.

Then they close with, and again i'm paraphrasing, 'contact us urgently, if you can't pay the full amount we will find a fair resolution. AND then a bit which is even more confusing. "If you believe you've been sent this communication in error please contact us again as a matter of urgency." And then some stuff about verifying my ID when i call them.

There is a confusing vagueness about this letter. First, the error they claim with the Debt belonging to Arrow now owed to them. It was never stated that i had to pay Arrow in the first letter, just that Rockwell were acting on behalf of them. Second- the bit about 'if you feel you have received this in error please contact us anyway.' WHY put that if they are so sure i owe this money?

To be honest, after i got the first 'pay within ten days' letter i was expecting another more threatening one and i thought i'd have to send the 'Prove it' letter. But the confusing nature of what they sent today makes me hesitant to contact them. My head says that this is a phishing letter. BUT it's stressing me out, because although the wording of this letter is flakey it still has a debt attached to it with an account number and an original lender. (and i can hand on heart to the best of my knowledge say it's not my debt.)

The first letter was signed Rockwell person only and headed by Rockwell. The second was signed by Rockwell & Arrow people and headed with both logos.

Should i send the prove it letter and get them off my back, or should i continue to ignore? Any advice great fully received

Send the "prove it letter" - they dont appear to know which way is up and it might just keep them off your back for a little while.

This is a disgraceful state of affairs and is very likely as you believe.. a phishing letter.. but at least you will have some idea of what is going on.

At the same time, you might want to make a complaint to the OFT - they wont deal with an individual case, but they do keep a record of complaints and use these when it comes to issuing credit licences !

Dont sign any correspondence by hand.. sign digitally or PRINT..

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

thanks for the advice. I'd like to get this matter dealt with for good, as i'm getting that 'what letters are in the post today' anxiety. If a 'prove it' letter will stop them in their tracks then i'll send one, i just don't want to get caught up in their web, but i guess thats my call to make. thanks for replying:-)

A link to your other thread for future readers. You should really keep to one thread as it makes giving accurate advice difficult otherwise.

CB's advice is spot on. You cannot guarantee that you will not get further correspondence while they look in to your prove-it request, but most DCAs go quiet.

As far as dealing with this "for good" I would start with RBS.

thanks and apologies for not doing a thread link, hadn't quite worked out how and was trying to get my thoughts written down. Anyway, I'll prepare a letter. Have you any idea how i approach RBS- just call customer services? the only account i ever had with them was a joint business nearly 20 years ago, long since closed.

Sorry, I did mean to merge these two threads yesterday.. have done so now and everything is in one place :)

BCOBS

HI Guys,

a quick update on this after sending Rockwell the 'prove it letter'

I got a quick reply, a simple 'thank you for your letter we'll pass this onto our client and get back to you' type letter. It didn't address me by name, just Dear Sir and wasn't signed. I imagine this is a standard automated response.

The one irritating thing was in this letter they had this supposed 'debt' as being owed to Arrow, but previously (see posts above) they wrote to me saying this was a mistake and the 'debt' belonged to RBS.

I expect this is just down to their completely inefficient practice and these are just badly automated letters and i shouldn't look for too much reason in their correspondence, but if anyone's had any experience of this point of the letter tennis game then do post it here:-)

Your on a phishing list, the game of letter tennis has now started, have you looked at your credit files to see what is on their?

I doubt there is anything bad as you wouldn't have been accepted for a mortgage, but it is always best to check, and if there is a mark on your file which shouldn't be there, then that's an immediate claim for damages.

You MUST start reporting these clowns to the OFT&TS, and if they are sending out letters to everyone with the same name, as is there only method of tracing debtors, then the ICO should also receive a complaint.

IMO I would just ignore them, file their letters away ina drawer, check my credit files, then lodge formal complaints about them to all those who supposedly police this corrupt industry.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

noddle and experian ask for card details- i'm assuming this is ok? will do noodle as its free

Not a problem to use your Credit/Debit Card details but please remember to telephone and cancel within 30 days if using Experian or Equifax, if you do not then your card will be charged up to £14.99 pcm.

Before you cancel, make sure you have either downloaded or printed a copy of your credit file for your own records.

Stigman

NEVER telephone a DCA

If a DCA rings you, refuse to go through the security questions & hang up!

If I have helped you, click on the star & say thank you

Your on a phishing list, the game of letter tennis has now started, have you looked at your credit files to see what is on their?

I doubt there is anything bad as you wouldn't have been accepted for a mortgage, but it is always best to check, and if there is a mark on your file which shouldn't be there, then that's an immediate claim for damages.

You MUST start reporting these clowns to the OFT&TS, and if they are sending out letters to everyone with the same name, as is there only method of tracing debtors, then the ICO should also receive a complaint.

IMO I would just ignore them, file their letters away ina drawer, check my credit files, then lodge formal complaints about them to all those who supposedly police this corrupt industry.

Ok, thanks for the reply. I was advised by several people to send them the 'prove it letter.' Based on what I've read my 'prove it letter' will either put Rockwell off pursuing this or, they'll come back with more ridiculous claims. How do you think I should deal with more letters, safe to ignore or do i have to protect myself with more 'prove it letters'?

I will begin reporting them straight away

I have written letters for OFT and Financial Ombudsman. As the last letter Rockwell sent me to was basically, 'we have seen your letter and will reply shortly' should i wait for their reply before making my complaint, as technically, having disputed their claims don't they then have 8 weeks to reply?

IKMR you have done all that you can reasonably be expected to do so.

Wait and see what they come back with, if anything. Complaints are a definite.

The problem with replying to phishing letters, even with a 'prove it' letter is that they simply believe that because they have had a response, you are their chosen victim, regardless of whether you owe the debt or not.

This is why you should always check your credit file to see if there has been any activity on their with searches from corrupt DCA's, or incorrect adverse data that may have been added.

IMHO I would not continue yanking their tail, if your 100% that this has nowt to do with you, just lodge those complaints and forget these fools.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

IKMR you have done all that you can reasonably be expected to do so.

Wait and see what they come back with, if anything. Complaints are a definite.

The problem with replying to phishing letters, even with a 'prove it' letter is that they simply believe that because they have had a response, you are their chosen victim, regardless of whether you owe the debt or not.

This is why you should always check your credit file to see if there has been any activity on their with searches from corrupt DCA's, or incorrect adverse data that may have been added.

IMHO I would not continue yanking their tail, if your 100% that this has nowt to do with you, just lodge those complaints and forget these fools.

Thanks for the advice. Basic question- if the DCA have been searching my credit file how does this tie in with them trying to land this unknown debt on me & how can I spot dodgy when I look at my credit report?