Manpower/reed/Hayes - my various employment woes

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1583 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I work for a well known agency in a financial organisation, i started in sept 2012 on a 3 month contract which was due to end in jan 2013, mid way through the contract in oct I was given a weeks notice to leave the job because there was "not enough work".......then I was luckily given a new position elsewhere in the company to help with some backlog of work, the agency told me its "long term with no end date"

anyway I asked the agency a few times when my contract was due to end as it had end date of jan 2013 and if it was to be renewed.......the agency don't seem to0 happy i have asked the questions about how long i have left or when is the new end date and they asked my team members if they had any concerns about the end date to which they naturally said "no" and my team members told the agency that its only me that has been asking questions about what is the end date, will it be renewed.....etc, when in fact they were asking me the same thing, so i simply asked the agency, who now don't seem too happy with me for asking that question.

what i want to know is can the agency take measures against me (make an excuse and let me go.....)

for simply asking them several times of the course of a few weeks an indication of the end date and if contract will be renewed, i have just been told its "long term on going" - but that can mean anything, a week, 3 months, a year.......etc

worried as i feel the agency or team leader may take action against me in some way simply for asking what was on other peoples minds as well.............

i've been offered a job elsewhere which is close to home which is 3 - 6 months long, should i take that or just stay in my present job, which i really really enjoy, the agency are really good towards me as well, just feel that i did nothing wrong in just asking a simple question which is on the minds of lots of people at work and now powers that be may use that against me

if you were in my position, would you stay in the job or take the job closer to home?

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps their reason for asking about team dynamics is to see whether there is any friction within the team and whether it appears that you remain committed to the organisation or not.

You have obviousl been looking for work elsewhere (assumption made based on your being offered another position elsewhere) and the agency may be concerned that you might 'up sticks' and leave. Alternatively they may be concerned that you're not happy in the current role hence your asking when the contract is due to end.

Perhaps you need to explain to the agency just why you're asking about the end date of the contract - perhaps you originally made plans that, as the contract was due to end on xx date, you would go away or do something specific; or perhaps you need to know as you're taking on a credit agreement and need to know there is some security in the contract, especially given that the initial role you were taken on for should have been for 3 months but ended early because of a lack of work.

Or, finally, perhaps you aren't enjoying this contract or the new role as much as you thought you might and don't want to be tied down for am unspecified Seri!e of time.

Feebee_71

Layla, you worry too much. there is nothing wrong in asking questions.

The contract can end any time and it might or might not depend on you being pedantic about your contract.

However if you have an alternative, look for a permanent job with a company directly. Contracting is not for everybody, maybe you're not cut out for it.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I applied for a position through an agency a few weeks ago, passed the interview stage and was 'offered' the position to start next week..although I am still waiting official confirmation from them.

The issue of concern is I had surgery on Friday which involved stitches being used...I have been asked to go back to the hospital to have the stitches removed next week (the same day i'm supposed to start the new temp job).

Some of the staff at this agency are aggressive and never listen to what you have to tell them...they are insisting I re-arrange my appointment to have the stitches removed and i must attend the first day of the new temp job next week OR else I will forefeit the job to someone else (basically i lose the job).

I will need an extra day to recover at home once the stitches are removed to make sure everything is o.k.

I need your help please asap...in order to draft up an simple email to send the agency which basically will inform them

1. I won't be attending the first day of the assignment because that's the day i have to go to hospital to have my stitches removed.

2. require an extra day after that to make sure 100% there are no problems after the stitches are removed to recover at home.

Then start work the day after.

Please can you help me draft up a simple tight email I can email the agency asap

Thank You:oops:

Edited by Purpleflowers 2

I find their comment to "re arrange the time to have your stitches out" quite disingenuous. Even if you were able to rearrange this appointment, it will still mean that you would have to take time off from the assignment !

If this were me, something along the lines of the following should get the message across.

Dear XYZ,

You have arranged a start date for an assignment for DATE.

As you are aware, I have recently had surgery and the date above is the date I am required to attend the hospital to have stitches removed. It has been suggested that I rearrange the hospital appointment in order to start the assignment.

This is simply not possible. One doesn't dictate to the NHS when appointments are made, especially for post operative care. I will also require one further day to recover from this surgery and removal of stitches. This means I would be unable to start the assignment until Wednesday.

Regards.

TBH, I don't think there is much else you can say. IMHO, I think the agency is being unreasonable.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I spoke to the agency yesterday...I was told that I MUST come in for training on the first day of the new assignment otherwise they will NOT give me the job!

The member of staff I spoke to even had the nerve to ask me to change the date of the appointment (which would still mean taking time off from work) but I MUST go to the first day of the assigment or they are going to not give me the job.

This agency is being unreasonable - i explained the hospital has requested I specifically come next week to have the stitches removed, this cannot be changed.

The agency are not medical experts!

Do I request they send me in written form as to why they are now behaving in such a way and how much 'training' can you cover in the first day of the assignment, this agency sucks!

What do you suggest I do now?

Tell them to eff off and go with another agency.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

There isn't anything you can really do.

The business is the agency's customer. If the business demands a person on a certain date, and you can't meet that date, from a business perspective the agency isn't going to let them down if they can hire someone else that can start on the day who they probably perceive as being more reliable.

I guess you have two options - either start on the day they request, or look for another assignment!

If the requirement is to start the job on that day and you can't then the agency will move on to the next person. Good luck finding another role soon; there is not much you can do about this one. (You have checked with the doctor, haven't you? On if a few days makes a difference.)

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

most jobs are like this now,they always seem to set up inductions,health and safety for your first day, I suppose it must be insurance or something,most jobs I have been to they test you for drugs etc,it all depends on the role,but they have to pay for these instructors etc,so you have to be there,or they take the next person!

Omg!! The agency told me last week I had to attend the so called first day of 'training' today or else I would lose the job. I told the agency it was not possible to change the date of the stitches being removed...so they told me "sorry you lost your job" - I passed the competancy based interview with the company and they told the agency they had offered me the job.

NOW....my friend was supposed to start work today....but she is starting tommorow - tuesday (i had a valid reason, having had to go get stitches removed and they gave my job to someone else)

BUT they let my friend attend tommorow - skipping the "first day training" the agency was so adamant I had to attend - they have diffferent rules for people.

Do I have a case for wrongful dismissal - the company offered me the job, the agency then knowing the full circumstances of my stitches and the sugeon appt to have them removed told me to get lost because i could not attend today BUT they let my friend attend tommorow - this is not fair...i lost my job, what can i do?

1) Do I have a case for wrongful dismissal...2) i lost my job, 3) what can i do?

Oh layla_83,

I used to temp. (years ago) - if you aren't available to start you won't get the job - that's fairly straightforward in that line of work. Recruitment agencies are a horrible, cut-throat business.

You have had surgery recently - they will note you lack of availability, but they probably don't really care - they aren't your friends. Sorry - but they can be that cold.

I would say IMHO re the above quoted queries (and I'm not a legal/HR expert)....

1) No.

2) You can't lose what you never really had I'm afraid. You couldn't turn up on the first day.... it may be said it was an offer you couldn't accept (I may be straying into very basic contract law here?)

3) Hope the agency offer you another position in the near future. Move on. Flag up you are now fitting fit and ready to go.

Accentuate the positives! You were first choice but not available - so where are they going to place this desired employee next? Yeah baby!

:whoo:

You might be feeling quite low right now. Look after yourself, look to the future, get back to full fettle, enjoy what's left of this summer weather - please don't bother getting into a (pointless) dust up with the agency - you won't draw, let alone win any such argument.

All the best.

Edited by SweetLorraine

I wonder what the difference in your friend's approach was? Somehow she has persuaded them. Ask her what and how she did it for next time.

As to legal claims - just no. Totally no. Stop it.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

• 4 months later...

It seems a hays recruitment consultant has a personal agenda/vendetta against me...he promised me a job when my last job ended a few months ago working for Hayes. I worked to the best of my ability did my job, never missed a day and the team leader told me she was happy with the work and a big thank you for my help when I left.

Background info

I was called to see the consultant and told "today is your last day the work has dried up there is not enough work for you anymore....but you can apply for other positions in the new year...."

At no point did the consultant mention my work was not upto scratch or I was not performing well. I was told the work had now finshed and I could apply for new positions at the same company in the new year.

my team leader said to me ....you have done a wonderful job thank you for everything blah blah blah

Present time

In the new year....when that same consultant is now recruiting for the positions (over (200) he told me to apply and I could start in the new year. So I go and apply...

I speak to this consultant a week after my online application he

fobbed me off telling me my "performance was not upto standard blah blah blah on the last 2 assigment for Hayes your not suited for the job. I cannot put you foreward for any positions at all in the future (at this particular bank). Your manager from 2 years ago told me your performance was not upto standard and your present manager also said the same"

There was never a problem with my work at all...I was always told I was doing the excellent. This consultant was siding with the manager from 2 years thats where his loyalties lay. She was not neautral buy biased, the consultant was not acting in a professional way.

I was left gobsmacked...he told me on my last day before xmas to apply for this position (the position he had just told me he would not put me foreward and he made up lies concering the last 2 managers feedback about me. He told me I would be starting in the new year and now he was telling me the opposite!

(One of my friends was told to leave as she was not meeting her targets..and the consultant took her back on as well as other people who were told to leave for not doing their job correctly)

I asked my manager for a reference on my most recent job and she said "yes no problem".

I then asked her I had spoken to the consultant who said you had told him my performance on the job was not upto standard. She did not answer.

Background history

To cut a long story short...I worked for Hayes 2 years ago on an assigment for 6 months...towards the end of my time at this bank... the team mananger who was a scheming cow was looking for any excuse to sack me, she was power tripping for no reason. Everyone in the department hated her.

I was lucky to find another job in the same week that she was going to sack me (i found out through the grapevine about this).

So I left and started work elsewhere...i did not give the one week notice as my new job was to start the same week I left (the week I was supposed to be sacked).

2 years later I applied for a position which the same consultant (who I had worked for 2 years ealier) has posted online.

He told me xyz manager at the same bank had told her my performance was not to standard and I was struggling with the work (which was a lie...xyz manager only said this to the consultant because I managed to leave before she could sack me)

The consultant found me another job at the same place....that ended before xmas and he told me I would be starting in the new year, but now he says no no no for made up reasons above.

Yet the consultant is taking on people who are not able to do the job simply because he can get commission for all the people he signs up for the new project at the bank. But with me he is taking a personal vendetta.

Now what action can I take against this consultant and have him reported to someone senior at Hayes...so they realise this consultant is acting in an vindictive manner out of hate and other reasons known only to himself in collabration with the managers at the bank who will back up his lie of a story re: "performance not to standard"

My friend is a witness and knows its all a pack of lies, this consultant is has a problem and issue with me.

I have also found out he was having relationships with some of the staff he had recruited at the bank as well.

This particular consultant needs a real dressing down and needs to be sacked.

You have no redress against him. Find a new agency. Nothing to be done here.

I get worried whenever someone says something like 'everyone in the department hated her'. To be honest it also is not that relevant to the issue of performance. I'm not sure this idea of ganging up on people with other employees and writing them off as bad people is a sensible thing to do in the world of work, especially when we are talking about a professional organisation like a bank.

If the agency were told by their client that your work was not up to scratch it is not surprising that they don't want to offer you jobs. Even if it is unjustified the agency will probably believe their client over you.

You do not know what capabilities the other people recruited for this project have and cannot make the assertion that these people are not able to do the job.

As above you have no redress other than finding a new agency. You can complain to Hays but it sounds unlikely to lead anywhere.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

As a matter of principle I want to make an official complaint re: this consultant as he has lied through his teeth re: my performance was not upto standard. If this were to be true (which it is not) then at no point at my time was the issue of my performance ever brought up.

This consultant is simply upset I was able to leave the last hayes assignment before his friend (the team leader at that bank) was able to sack me. He says this team leader said my performance was not upto standard BUT then 2 years later he offers me a job at the same job!

The consultant is lying and I have been informed has been having relationships with several staff he has recruited for the bank in exchange for giving them a job there...now is this professional?

you seem to be spamming the name of the company in a search engine optimisation vendetta. Very childish.

Also if everyone is over 18 they can shag who they like. Their complaints are not yours, and no one seems to have asked you to white knight for them. They can complain themselves if bothered.

Move on. Live well. Be happy. Let it go. It's the mature thing to do.

• Haha 1

As a matter of principle I want to make an official complaint re: this consultant as he has lied through his teeth re: my performance was not upto standard. If this were to be true (which it is not) then at no point at my time was the issue of my performance ever brought up.

This consultant is simply upset I was able to leave the last hayes assignment before his friend (the team leader at that bank) was able to sack me. He says this team leader said my performance was not upto standard BUT then 2 years later he offers me a job at the same job!

The consultant is lying and I have been informed has been having relationships with several staff he has recruited for the bank in exchange for giving them a job there...now is this professional?

Then complain. But I don't think you will get very far. Sometimes you have to stop and think about choosing you're battles in life wisely