new universal credit

joeski
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4260 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What % of the council tax is currently going to the gold-plated (final salary) council workers pensions? Back in early 2009 it was reported as being approx 20% (although back in 2006 it was calculated at approx 26%, due to added contributions to Fire/police pensions)

With my council, people of working age who have more than £3k in savings will have to pay at least 20%. This leaves me stuffed - my savings are for medical equipment I will need when I am older. Meanwhile, pensioners will be exempt. So, this means you're going to have a pensioner with £15k in savings who gets full help with council tax and someone of working age with £3k of savings will have to pay at least 20%.

Sick F*****S! the icing on the cake... will this ever end...

My advice is based on my opinion and my experience. It is not to be taken as legal advice as I am not legally qualified

If my advice has been helpful, please take a moment to click on the scales

on the bottom left hand side of my profile :p

With my council, people of working age who have more than £3k in savings will have to pay at least 20%. This leaves me stuffed - my savings are for medical equipment I will need when I am older. Meanwhile, pensioners will be exempt. So, this means you're going to have a pensioner with £15k in savings who gets full help with council tax and someone of working age with £3k of savings will have to pay at least 20%.
i am afraid so...of course, all done in the interests of 'fairness' because us 'plebs' 'are all in together'

the mirror has a big centre page spread on the perils of ATOS in the paper today....CAB citing a enormous rise in the amount of work they are now doing on 'wrong' ATOS assessments.....

ok I now got an official letter from council, I guess I was misled.

It seems my council plan to make everyone pay at least 20% with pensioners excempted, not even severely disabled is mentioned.

Currently I pay about 18% I think anyway.

So I wonder if this means they bump everyone by 20% so 18% to 38% or just that the min level is set to 20% so 18% would be bumped to 20%.

Based upon the various schemes I have seen being put out to consultation, I would say the 20% is on top of the 18% you already pay, so you will be looking at a 38% bill

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

Based upon the various schemes I have seen being put out to consultation, I would say the 20% is on top of the 18% you already pay, so you will be looking at a 38% bill

Great "we all in this together", if you vulnerable you get a 20% bump, if you not you have a council tax freeze.

according to my councils website I should be on single room rate HB since january as well, they have 3 times since then reviewed my claim (when my IB was stopped and started again) and didnt drop the payments. So I am hoping what the counciller told me with peopel approachign 35 they been subsidised by the council.

It also says after april 2012 LHA will stop been recalculated based on local rents and will just go up each year with CPI.

Edited by worried33

I am 63, 64 in Sept next year and my wife is 60 at present. We are on Pension Credit and have been for the past 3 years as I have disabilities and receive DLA. My wife is my carer and also gets DLA lower care also. We are extremely worried about this PIP as it seems we will lose a lot of benefits.

Of concern is that instead of a motability car, we opted to buy our own car using HP. If I lose my mobility payment, we will be in serious debt trouble and probably have the vehicle repossessed. If this happens, we will be stranded as we live in a rural village with a bus that only comes through twice a day. We will become prisoners in our own home.

This PIP has us very stressed out and very worried and we are losing a lot of sleep over it. Probably also got ulcers and have already lost 6kgs in the past 2 - 3 weeks. I guess a lot of old folk like us have the same concerns.

... Of concern is that instead of a motability car, we opted to buy our own car using HP. If I lose my mobility payment, we will be in serious debt trouble and probably have the vehicle repossessed. If this happens, we will be stranded as we live in a rural village with a bus that only comes through twice a day. We will become prisoners in our own home. ...

Under the same circumstances you would lose your motability car as you would be given 30 days to return it. So you could have lost access to a vehicle whichever route you went down. Thousands upon thousands upon thousands of people who rely on their motability car are going to lose out under the current PIP proposals. Not to mention the repercusions in the car industry.

As for your rural location, I am in exactly the same situation.

I am 63, 64 in Sept next year and my wife is 60 at present. We are on Pension Credit and have been for the past 3 years as I have disabilities and receive DLA. My wife is my carer and also gets DLA lower care also. We are extremely worried about this PIP as it seems we will lose a lot of benefits.

Of concern is that instead of a motability car, we opted to buy our own car using HP. If I lose my mobility payment, we will be in serious debt trouble and probably have the vehicle repossessed. If this happens, we will be stranded as we live in a rural village with a bus that only comes through twice a day. We will become prisoners in our own home.

This PIP has us very stressed out and very worried and we are losing a lot of sleep over it. Probably also got ulcers and have already lost 6kgs in the past 2 - 3 weeks. I guess a lot of old folk like us have the same concerns.

As far as I know if you stil on DLA when you become a pensioner then you will keep DLA as long as you keep meeting the DLA criteria. PIP is only coming in for the working age.

Hi sufer01 I hope I am wrong on this but I believe from my reading of this that people who are 65 years of age at the start of April 2013 will stay with Pension credit and DLA I think that a lot of people like yourselves could have problems.. I think that I will be one of the lucky ones as I am 65 on 1st December 2012. I do hope that this government will find that the IT systems are not up to scratch and they will have to postpone the start-up of PIP and Universal credit.

dpick

Hi sufer01 I hope I am wrong on this but I believe from my reading of this that people who are 65 years of age at the start of April 2013 will stay with Pension credit and DLA I think that a lot of people like yourselves could have problems.. I think that I will be one of the lucky ones as I am 65 on 1st December 2012. I do hope that this government will find that the IT systems are not up to scratch and they will have to postpone the start-up of PIP and Universal credit.

dpick

I fall into the "grey" area as I turn 64 in Sept 2013. the worst thing about this is that you cannot plan your finances ahead as you do not know what is going to be happening. :sad:

If they can find a cure for rheumatoid arthritis I would gladly forego DLA etc. Unfortunately it gets worse with time and age! :!:

I agree, I'd rather be well than claim benefits - I'd be far better off too.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

To put it into perspective - think about about the young men that come home fron Afghanistan minus limbs, suffering from PTSD etc. They too are going to have go through another 'battle' to also retain their current DLA awards!

That makes me feel inadequate in comparison.

To put it into perspective - think about about the young men that come home fron Afghanistan minus limbs, suffering from PTSD etc. They too are going to have go through another 'battle' to also retain their current DLA awards!

Oh here we go, "they're worse off than you". Unhelpful.

Oh here we go, "they're worse off than you". Unhelpful.

Yes, someone else's misfortune doesn't make our own feel any less. And there are plenty of other people who have been through hell and then will have to battle.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Each person entitled to and receiving DLA has had the award based ontheir circumstances at that time in their life, no one should judge if one particular disabiliy/illness is any worse than another persons, everyone has different ways of coping and different pain thresholds too.

If you have rheumatoid arthritis some days you wish you had lost your limbs! BTW if we lose motability cars and have to fund cars ourselves, that means we have to pay road tax, insurance and maintenance and not many people with disabilities especially long term will be able to afford these costs even if they are able to purchase a car. Many will be denied loans due to poor credit history through no fault of their own. It seems we are now being penalised for being disabled!

Yes pretty much, although the government will call it reassessment, or 'we have moved the goalposts with PIP and unfortunately you fell through the net' No doubt 'well meaning' DWP advisers will ask claimants that have lost mobility vehicles 'have you tried walking, dear? I'm sure the exercise would do you a power of good '

Welfare reform and Universal Credit (which isn't universal, and there's no credit involved) are mechanisms to enable benefit denial, end of.

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

Being poor is like being a Pelican. No matter where you look, all you see is a large bill.

I don't think people need to worry about soldiers who have lost limbs losing their benefits, they will be safe as there are special rules for service personel and their families.

Soldiers with lost limbs losing benefits would be a road to far even for this administration.

You do need to worry though, about those civilians who have had their legs blown of and suffer PTSD because of the acts of terrorism. Having no legs used to automatically get you HRM, under the new rules it will not. For example DLA may have allowed a person with no legs to buy expensive prothetics that helped them walk. This would negate them from PIP, unfortunatly when these legs wear out they would still be deemed as being able to walk under the same thinking that allows ESA users to have imaginary wheelchairs.

There are people like my nephew who became permanently disabled after a snowboarding accident (some people would say it is a self-inflicted injury and he should not get any help from the state - we have become such a negative puritanical country lately....) and has learnt to walk again, but without crutches he cannot walk, he can stand if he leans on something.... what happens about his limited mobility allowance?

He does work when he can, luckily he trained as a jeweller and does have some income from that, but it isn't a fortune and is only just above unemployment benefit level some weeks.