style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2279 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 years later...

New to this site and in a fix. I received a pension from ten years of employment ending decades ago from my 60th birthday. The amount had really grown, especially the lump sum. The monthly pension is now to be deducted from the eesa. So far, so good. But I am housebound and 18 miles from the benefit office. The lump sum came in at just over £9k, the tariff starts at £6k. The logistics of sorting it out are overwheming me. As the 3k is spent, do I keep writing to them? Do I ask if purchases are/would be OK by phone? Anyone know what to do? Nearest relative 83 miles away is going to try to come on a one-off basis so they can scan the docs. Nothing being paid pending this.

You have to be very careful about spending a lump sum as they can asses it as being spent purely to gain benefit and then act as if it is still there. Be prepared to justify where it went

You should be able to do the rest over the phone.

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

• 2 years later...

I completed my mums renewal ESA50 and sent it back beginning of August along with a load of recent medical evidence. Haven't heard anything since sending it back.

What is the usual timeline for a decision. Mum has been on IB ESA for a few years now and her outlook is extremely poor.

Any advice please.

How long a decision will take is impossible to guess since it will vary by area amongst other things. It wouldn't hurt to give them a call and chase it up - they may at least be able to tell you if a face-to-face is needed.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

How long a decision will take is impossible to guess since it will vary by area amongst other things. It wouldn't hurt to give them a call and chase it up - they may at least be able to tell you if a face-to-face is needed.

Give them a call and chase it up asking for the reasons of delay (even post can be lost, they may request additional documents).

• 3 months later...

I am my mum's DWP Appointee. This morning I checked my mum's letterbox and discovered a letter from the local Jobcentre sent to my mum despite the fact that I am her Appointee inviting her to an Open Day where all sorts of support providers will be available to assist her.

My mum is terribly poorly and I have not even attempted to tell her about this letter. The letter is a sort of warm and caring type of letter trying to coax her to attend.

I am livid that they have not addressed the letter to myself.

The letter starts: 'Some time ago we wrote to tell you that you're in the ESA Support Group. This hasn't changed. You are still in the Support Group. This is because we understand you have a health condition or disability that means you have limits on the things you can do. But did you know there's help you can get if you want it? etc etc

A renewal ESA50 was returned early August 2016 and I have still not received a decision despite chasing it up on the phone. I gave up chasing it up in November 2016 as she is still receiving the benefit.

Any suggestions of how to deal with this recent letter please?

Thanks, Joe

Ignore it as she is in the support group so it isn't mandatory that she attend any nonsense from the center plus

When they say assist here what they likely really mean is encourage or coerce here into doing some type of work

These letters are probably designed to make sure you don't forget they haven't forgotten you a form of intimidation

You could always attend on her behalf to check it out, if you have the time to waste of course

No action needed. This is not a compulsory appointment as she's in the Support Group. If you want to write back, just tell them that she is far too ill to attend such an event. You don't have to do that if you don't want to, though.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

I wouldn't ignore the letter, or attend their open day.

I would write to the sender, addressing the author individually, and make it clear in no uncertain terms that:

1..... S/he knows that you are your mother's appointee and as such all letters are to be addressed to you.

2.....S/he knows your mother's condition.

3.....S/he should be better employed in helping your mother, if that is the intention, by getting a move on and responding to the ESA50 form sent in by your mother six months ago.

4..... Any further attempts at what you regard as entrapment and harrassment and s/he personally would be facing charges of maladministration.

seen loads of those over the years

simply ignore it

no need to go upsetting them with silly letters designed to get their back up.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

seen loads of those over the years

simply ignore it

no need to go upsetting them with silly letters designed to get their back up.

dx

The reason you have seen loads of them over the years is because nothing is done to stop them.

The DWP know they often have the desired effect, they have nothing to lose by trying it on.

Following your advice will ensue that you see loads more.

I thought that in your position on the team you were supposed to stand up for and practice respect for different opinions and civility, not act as judge and jury of what you decide is silly.

Thank you to all posters for taking the time to respond, especially at the weekend. No one is right or wrong, and I appreciate everyone's contributions and opinions.

If anyone else has an opinion, please post it. Many thanks, Joe

I wouldn't ignore the letter, or attend their open day.

I would write to the sender, addressing the author individually, and make it clear in no uncertain terms that:

1..... S/he knows that you are your mother's appointee and as such all letters are to be addressed to you.

2.....S/he knows your mother's condition.

3.....S/he should be better employed in helping your mother, if that is the intention, by getting a move on and responding to the ESA50 form sent in by your mother six months ago.

4..... Any further attempts at what you regard as entrapment and harrassment and s/he personally would be facing charges of maladministration.

Points 1 and 2, fine. Point 3, if you want to suggest that a DWP employee would be better off being reassigned to a different section (the people who organise these sorts of events are not the people who process ESA50s) then that's really along the lines of a formal complaint - she can't reassign herself. Point 4, and I cannot stress this enough: do not do this. It is not entrapment, it is not harassment, and it is not maladministration.

What I would like to see, though, is such letters indicating clearly that attendance is not mandatory, and that benefits will not be affected by non-attendance.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

I thought that in your position on the team you were supposed to stand up for and practice respect for different opinions and civility, not act as judge and jury of what you decide is silly.

its a simple 'invite'

nothing is implied by them sending it.

encouraging people to 'complain' when there's nowt to complain about is plain stupid

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

May I ask the OP what was the time period between your Mum's last ESA review (possibly a migration from Incapacity Benefit) and this current re-assessment.

In my area I come across a lot of ESA claimants in the Support Group (mainly with mental health impairments) and many have not been reassessed for 4-5 years and more. Moreover, I have never heard of a letter invite to an open day.

After the long delay since returning your ESA50 it may be that a decision (likely positive) will be made on a paper based review only. If your Mum had to attend a face to face assessment I'd have thought you would have been notified by now.

Hi and thanks to everyone who has posted advice.

I called the Jobcentre this afternoon and I explained I was calling, straight away, before I could say another word I was told 'can't speak to you',

I explained I am the DWP Appointee 'well nothing on our system'.

of course there must have been otherwise she would not have continued with my call, I just think she didn't want to look silly.

I explained how poorly my mum is and the severity of her many illnesses and that no way could she attend this open day.

The Jobcentre made a note on their system and said they won't write again.

In answer to Belinda, my mum was due a reassessment as her three years which is the maximum amount I believe they can award you in the Support Group was up.

As I said before, I phoned to chase it up a few times but stopped doing so in November as her payments are still being made and I simply haven't got the time to wait on the telephone for someone to answer.

The last time I spoke to someone they said 'call again in 2 weeks' - I didn't bother.

I got the feeling they are just snowed under.

Does anyone know when the 2017/18 awards for benefits are being sent out?

Thanks, Joe

Thanks for reply OP.

The 3 year maximum timeframe between reviews for those in the ESA Support Group is a myth. It's just guidance. Increasingly, folks on SG are being left alone as there are more "low hanging fruit" to target.

Did you contact the DWP to ask for a review, or did they contact you/ your Mum ?

Hi Belinda

No I did not request a review for my mum. I'm far too busy to have my precious time took up completing ESA50 and obtaining medical evidence to support the application. I hear that there are going to be changes with regards to ESA SG, but to be honest the DWP are always introducing 'changes'. As it is coming up to 6 months since sending the ESA50 and chasing it up last year, I am just going to wait until I hear from them - hence I would like to know when the new 2017/18 benefit rates letters are being sent out. If I don't receive one for mum, then I will chase it up again.

If anyone can advice when the new benefit rates letters are due to be sent out, please post.

I think 2017 rates letters are already coming out. I got one dated 09-01-17, if this is what you mean: it said "Your claim for ESA" then "From 10 April 2017 the rates of some social security benefits may change" then goes on to say the amount, which is exact same as it is now (I'm still on assessment rate).