DEBT Collection Agency of the YEAR Awards

andrew1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6017 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

'Many, I suspect having finally paid off their debt will never even touch a credit card again after the turmoil of dealing with a DCA.'

I will be a one card man and think about it very carefully every time it is used.

Isn't this a sad reality of what these companies caused people? Horrible isn't it? I have met a lot of people in CAG and other places similar and I see so many people hurt by this stuff and through no real fault of their own if the truth was ever shown!!

I totally object to the likes of KM calling us "rogue debtors" because I know the majority of people aren't so. I see so many genuine people who just through tough circumstances got into bother financially. It's a funny thing for someone who is so willingly breaking the Law to say isn't it? Pot/Black doesn't nearly cover it does it? At worse we get a CCJ for our debts - KM on the other hand if he gets caught up with for his dirty delaings will get HM pleasures? How many cells will they need to put this lot away with their cronies at Hodsons? :D These people must feel they sitting on a time bomb?

Consumers are getting wiser everyday and we have yet more Laws coming in our favour in December 2007 with the Unfair Commercial Practices Directive due to be effective - we will have plenty of teeth to bite these companies back with ;) So companies like Cabots do need to buck their ideas up and stop messing about - they are doing themselves no favours.

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm disappointed to see that CTEditor hasn't replied. Genuinely disappointed.

I'm still very concerned that the Award for Debt Collector of the Year doesn't appear to have any space for feedback from the 'end-users' - ie. anyone at the receiving end of the threats and intimidation.

I thought CTEditor's post here was very brave, and I respect that. I don't understand the reticence behind not posting again.

We will not be intimidated.

'The pen is mightier than the sword'.

Petition to Outlaw Debt Sale and Purchase

- can't read/post much as eye strain's v.bad.

VIVA CAG!!! :)

I'm disappointed to see that CTEditor hasn't replied. Genuinely disappointed.

I'm still very concerned that the Award for Debt Collector of the Year doesn't appear to have any space for feedback from the 'end-users' - ie. anyone at the receiving end of the threats and intimidation.

I thought CTEditor's post here was very brave, and I respect that. I don't understand the reticence behind not posting again.

Why don't you ask her to: [email protected] Victoria Hartley..

A week has now gone since I emailed Mr Hurlston and NO REPLY - wonder how many emails he did get before the system got blocked... my IT friend says probably 300 emails would have done the trick initially.

Sounds a bit like these dca's & their cca requests :p

hmmmm would it not be interesting "should" a tabloid or 2 got steered in here?, good for 2 things, truth could go out about dca's and unknowing people could find CAG, just hope site don't crash with an overload, it just to get more people in on this the better.

possible?

If my advice has been helpful please feel free to click on my scales :grin:

Creditors and DCAs - Letter Templates & Budget Planner (CCA request letter N)and other templates)

Debt Collection Agencies & Statutory Demands, a few strategies

Abbey charges, Won

B-card non-disclosure of S.A.R, WON £30 costs awarded

B-Card, court for harrasement, failed to defend WON £175 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/125554-28-days-later-no.html#post1422508

B-Card charges, partial refund, still fighting

Vanquis-Cabot, GIVEN UP :lol:

HFC & my mum, no brainer, no CCA http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt-issues/133330-hfc-my-mum.html#post1404514

PLEASE donate to CAG however small. They are fighting for YOUR rights as a consumer. http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/

I had a little think and decided that, as I'm sure we are 'communicating' with Credit Today, I'd post my request here:

To The Editor, Credit Today.

I am writing with regard to your post in the Consumer Action Group Forum thread entitled 'Debt Collection Agency of the Year Awards'.

As you are no doubt aware, there is considerable consternation as to the reason behind Malcolm Hurston's participation as a Judge for the event, when he represents an organisation that most people (myself included) view as a lifeline.

I appreciate the points in your post, but I am troubled that you have not yet replied with a further post.

Similarly, it is difficult to understand Mr Hurlston's lack of response.

In addition, I note that on your Credit Today website, your Deputy Editor chose to title a new discussion in your Forum about the aforementioned thread: 'Topic: The credit industry - egotistical and hypocritical??'

This seems to me to be inflammatory, and a curious selection from the opinion of one poster on CAG.

You say that:

"The sincerest aim of the awards is to investigate and reward firms who are truly customer-centric, demand the highest quality people skills from their often call-centre-based staff and that maintain high levels of staff training."

Please could you explain whether, when you use the word 'customer', you are referring to the end-user, people such as myself, or the 'Clients' of Debt Collection Agencies, such as the major Credit Card Companies etc. For, having looked through the printed brochure, I see no mention of end-user participation, or even in the Judging Criteria. Ah yes, there will be 'testimonials'... more of that later.

You state:

"By running an awards scheme like this, we are addressing the issues connected with debt, not seeking to congratulate the undeserving. The issues related to debt and how this is dealt with by the industry are hugely important and ones we address constantly in Credit Today magazine. We don't fall down on the side of the creditors, we investigate the issues and have taken the industry - where it is deserved - to task over shoddy processes and bad treatment of consumers."

Unless I am mistaken, whilst you may feel that these consumer issues are important, again this concern does not seem to be reflected in your Awards brochure.

I am particularly concerned that Debt Collection Agencies may nominate themselves. In my experience of the 'Industry' thus far, I'm inclined to believe that presentation is everything. I am constantly staggered by the quality of the websites Debt Collection Agencies create. They are extremely professional, and very well-presented. But I also know from personal experience, and learning about the experiences of others, that this is a veneer. The harsh reality of the methods used by many Call-Centre operatives are completely at odds with many human standards, let alone professional ones.

You state:

"We are seeking out professional excellence and applying the same ethics we apply to our magazine coverage to the judging of these awards."

By what criteria do you define 'professional excellence'?

Could you explain the ethics, as a magazine, that you will be applying? Given that, again, you are not involving the consumers who daily receive psychological abuse by these Call Centre staff? Will you be examining individual cases, and how do you propose achieving a balanced judgement without hearing the full story? Are you not aware that Debt Collection Agencies very often manipulate the truth and massage the Law, demean and discredit individuals as a matter of course?

How will you achieve a balanced perspective?

I have noted your Judging criteria bullet point, namely "A responsible approach to debt collection with procedures, training and testimonials to prove this."

- And the testimonials will be from the blackened fossil fuel that your 'coalface' workers daily apply their limitless energy to?

That would be us.

I can only assume so, because otherwise such testimonials would be prejudiced towards the 'goodness' of the nominated debt collector?

"As debt levels have spiralled in the last few years, the debt collection sector has undergone massive growth too, which is another reason for introducing the awards."

I agree. But again, your Awards will be flawed by an unbalanced perspective. Unlike Debt Collection Agencies, people coping with financial crises are not likely to have the means to provide anything to combat the misinformation which, I feel, is endemic within the Debt Collection 'Industry'. Whilst the people your magazine is targeted for are wealthy, we are not.

"Many debt collectors are call-centre staff, doing a difficult job at the debt coalface. We gather the quality of advice and treament people in debt receive in this country varies hugely and this is an issue we want to flag by rewarding those who do a professional job, no matter how personal and difficult debt resolution can sometimes be."

I must take issue with you there. You will know that I have already replied to your post regarding the use of the 'coalface' analogy.

I find it deeply worrying that you should perceive call-centre staff as the 'honest but toiling' workers at the front, dealing with 'common joes' no doubt, 'taking the flak' which is, of course, entirely unwarranted(??!!).

Perhaps this misperception is a concept with which the 'Industry' successfully deludes itself:

"Debtors are bad. We fight debtors. We are therefore good." ?

And again, using the term 'Industry' is itself misleading. It implies good, honest toil. I see no sign of that.

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. :)

• Haha 2

We will not be intimidated.

'The pen is mightier than the sword'.

Petition to Outlaw Debt Sale and Purchase

- can't read/post much as eye strain's v.bad.

VIVA CAG!!! :)

Well I was hoping to catch the BT woman who is also a judge to ask her for my 10K compensation for no business phone lines for 6 weeks as all BT would pay us was compensation from the date they realised we had placed the order and not the actual date. So if you get a chance at the awards can you put a word in for me please?

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

DCA staff are basically ignorant and educationally compromised . DCA work is just right for them. They need no real education to do it , in fact it is a bonus as there is less to be undone and no real previous experience required. It's a job for the non achievers .

And the non achievement psychology suits the DCA companies. Lets them work out the frustrations of inadequacy on bullying the weak and vulnerable .