• Tweets

• Post #415 you said you were unable to sell it yourself. Earlier I believe you said there had been expressions of interest, but only if the buyer could acquire the freehold title. I wonder if the situation with the existing freeholders is such that the property is really unattractive, in ways possibly not obvious to someone who also has an interest in and acts for the freeholders.
    • i dont think the reason why the defendant lost the case means anything at all in that case. it was a classic judge lottery example.
    • Hello, I will try to outline everything clearly. I am a British citizen and I live in Luxembourg (I think this may be relevant for potential claims). I hired a car from Heathrow in March for a 3-day visit to family in the UK. I was "upgraded" to an EV (Polestar 2). I had a 250-mile journey to my family's address. Upon attempting to charge the vehicle, there was a red error message on the dashboard, saying "Charging error". I attempted to charge at roughly 10 different locations and got the same error message. Sometimes there was also an error message on the charging station screen. The Hertz 0800 assistance/breakdown number provided on the set of keys did not work with non-UK mobiles. I googled and found a bunch of other numbers, none of which were normal geographical ones, and none of which worked from my Luxembourg mobile. It was getting late and I was very short on charge. Also, there was no USB socket in the car, so my phone ran out of battery, so I was unable to look for further help online. It became clear that I would not reach my destination (rural Devon), so I had no choice but to find a roadside hotel in Exeter and then go to the nearest Hertz branch the following day on my remaining 10 miles of charge. Of course, as soon as the Hertz employee in Exeter plugged it into their own charger, the charging worked immediately. I have driven EVs before, I know how to charge them, and it definitely did not work at about 10 different chargers between London and Exeter. I took photos on each occasion. Luckily they had another vehicle available and transferred me onto it. It was an identical Polestar 2 to the original car. 2 minutes down the road, to test it, I went to a charger and it worked immediately. I also charged with zero issues at 2 other chargers before returning the vehicle. I think this shows that it was a charging fault with the first car and not my inability to do it properly. I wrote to Hertz, sending the hotel, dinner, breakfast and hotel parking receipt and asking for a refund of these expenses caused by the charging failure in the original car. They replied saying they "could not issue a refund" and they issued me with a voucher for 50 US dollars to use within the next year. Obviously I have no real proof that the charging didn't work. My guess is they will say that the photos don't prove that I was charging correctly, just that it shows an error message and a picture of a charger plugged into a car, without being able to see the detail. Could you advise whether I have a case to go further? I am not after a refund or compensation, I just want my £200 back that I had to spend on expenses. I think I have two possibilities (or maybe one - see below). It looks like the UK is still part of the European Consumer Centre scheme:  File a complaint with ECC Luxembourg | ECC-Net digital forms ECCWEBFORMS.EU   Would this be a good point to start from? Alternatively, the gov.uk money claims service. But the big caveat is you need a "postal address in the UK". In practice, do I have to have my primary residence in the UK, or can I use e.g. a family member's address, presumably just as an address for service, where they can forward me any relevant mail? Do they check that the claimant genuinely lives in the UK? "Postal address" is not the same as "Residence" - anyone can get a postal address in the UK without living there. But I don't want to cheat the system or have a claim denied because of it. TIA for any help!  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

The MP's campaign-Responses

moneyhelp
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5896 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

stone, the letter is a standard template the FSA sent to all of us mine is exactly the same, they must think we are stupid!! They don't seem to have an inkling about this do they, what the hell is Joan Humble on about, any plans to clarify the legal position ? doesn't she know anything about whats being going on?? about the OFT case??

I knew that I had seen a very similar letter somewhere, the thing is are our MP`s aware that the FSA are sending them bog standard template letters, if they are not then other than us meeting with them face to face how on earth are they supposed to learn what is going on. I plan to take all of my paperwork involving my claim down to Mrs Humbles` surgery next week. I am sure that she will be pleased to know that she has been fobbed off by the FSA just like the rest of us.

=======================================================================================================

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Halifax Won £1180.00

NatWest Won £876.00

Halifax 2 N1 submitted 20/07/07 stayed 24/08/07 N244 Application filed 31/08/07 hearing set for 12/11/07 rescheduled for 29/01/2008. Application dismissed stay still in place.

Charity Group £200 compo for lost passport.

HM revenue & Customs; demand for WTC overpayment £632.12. Disputed, their error. Did not have to repay.

All opinions expressed are my own and have no legal standing and no connection to CAG

All errors/typos etc are not my fault the blame lies with the spelling gremlins

<<<<<< If any of this has been helpful, PLEASE click my scales

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope she listens to you stone, & does do something about these letters from FSA!, & she sits up & listens to what you have to say to her.

--------------------------------

If you approve of my Post, please tip my scales.

13/07/07 **WON** Halifax

Any advice or opinion I give, is what I have learnt from CAG, If in doubt, please consult a professional.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

nice letter ...

you should also include a paragraph about why they included business accounts which clearly have nothing to do with UTCCR's (even the OFT and banks say so) and *maybe* also the fact they *may* be considering to include credit cards.

the fact remains that the waiver works only for the banks and not consumers and is a disgrace.

Hi there crfx I think that is excellent. Is there anything else we can do. How will you get them to take notice of this and get it on their agenda? It needs to have some power behind it they may ignore it as they do with most things?

Seems OK to me CRFX250. I am going to see my MP Joan Humble tomorrow and have copied the letter to show her that she also has received a "fob off " letter from the FSA like the rest of us.

=======================================================================================================

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Halifax Won £1180.00

NatWest Won £876.00

Halifax 2 N1 submitted 20/07/07 stayed 24/08/07 N244 Application filed 31/08/07 hearing set for 12/11/07 rescheduled for 29/01/2008. Application dismissed stay still in place.

HM revenue & Customs; demand for WTC overpayment £632.12. Disputed, their error. Did not have to repay.

All opinions expressed are my own and have no legal standing and no connection to CAG

crfx

Good work. That's probably an autoresponder, so your idea to send a follow-up via snail-mail is sound too.

I did a little more digging around in the select committees website after viewing your link and came across this - it's the contact details of the Committee Administration team. I wonder if might be worth your sending a copy letter to one of these people to try and get it under their noses, rather than, or in addition to, using the constituent/MP channel? ;)

I wonder if Laura Humble Media Officer is related to Joan Humble MP for Blackpool North

Good work you two. Keep it up.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Halifax Won £1180.00

NatWest Won £876.00

Ja De,

You asked for the FSA's reply to the Rt Hon Andrew Mackay (Bracknell), here it is - I make no comment, as the MP said it all in his reply to me (see previous post).

Apologies to all of you that have not got Word (did you know that there is a free alternative?)

PS I have just realised that this reply is the same sent to Stone's MP. Templates:(

fsareplymackay.doc

We haven't got the money, so we've got to think!

Ernest Rutherford

A & L

Data Protection Act Letter sent 11/08/06

Data rec'd 14/09/06, Prelim letter sent 16/09/06

LBA sent 22/09/06, MCOL 6QZ68670 issued 2/10/06 - chq for £6,375.34 rec'd 04/11/06.

Hi beserker Join the club, what a joke the FSA are!!

Sonede, All the best with the meeting, hope you manage to make an impression, pity we can't all come a mass demonstration is what we need!!!

Re Berserker post 678

forgot to mention, with all my excitment today of having my application to have stay removed turned down, that I received the exactly the same templated letter via Julie Morgan MP, Cardiff North in the post today - anyone want to see it, or do we all know it by heart now!! joke, Olden, Im hysterical !!

Well what a joke it IS hilarious! I really wish we could get this made public, it's just not enough now, that we all know, it should be on the NEWS. (which reminds me I never did get an answer from the BBC, they obviously didn't do that program they were talking about??) come to think of it I haven't heard from a few others, I know I am losing my grip now.it's all getting a bit much, not enough notice being taken of this, and I am sick and tired of asking where are our leaders with wise words of advice??? I have read a lot over on the MSE and I am sure there are a lot who are not aware of the amount of work going on over here, I keep pointing them here especially when someone say's:- quote" is the case over yet have we won"

• Haha 1

I think that we will all find that THE RIGHT HONOURABLE JOHN Mc FALL ,(i have very rarely shown respect to any MP) will be asking questions concerning the whole concept of JUST WHO ARE YOU to the FSA,what is your purpose,and this will certainly be the most uncomfortable set of questions we will see for a long time,not only is SIR GRIEV or whatever he is called got to answer to questions he will have to give a detailed explanation to what he thought was just another routine committee report..this meeting is more than that..i cannot see Sir greiv being there as a mysterious illness may befall him because he already knows after the inflation report to the committee he had already fallen foul of the Chairman John Mc Fall ,and he also knows that their are questions he does not want to be asked,but will be ..So i do trust this committee will be asking some serious questions that we all want to know..what use are they and who gives them all this authority and power they seem to beleive the own...crfx has written his letter and it is to the point asking honest questions nothing vexhasious just simple to the point and would be worth any MPs time to have read this letter .I also think this committee hearing will set a standard and highlight the inequalities of the FSA and i would not be suprised if the FSA lifts this waiver before the COMMITTEE HEARING..but that will not cut any ice the same questions will be asked the same questions we all ask why and what are you doing to or for the consumers . A seroius breech of trust will be the end result...thanks mostly to all the caggers on here that they (FSA)have been and are being exposed

trust you crfx POSTAL STRIKE ..LOL

subscibing

patrickq1

What a wonderful opportunity, at last some way to make them answerable! You are brilliant crfx. What can we do to help in the postal strike. Is there any way we could deliver by hand in our area to MPs I could. By the way what about the other districts in my area, for instance mine is Newport East, Jessica Morden, but Pual Flynn is Newport west, can we include him and then teirs David Davies for Monmouth? I could deliver to these three.?

It's great that people are willing to help with hand deliveries etc. (and I think that's a good idea and well worth doing as a backup olden), but unfortunately it assumes that the recipients will be in their constituency offices to read them in time for the review.

I think that electronic delivery to the Committee Admin team will be crucial here and in light of the Postal strike should be our Plan A fallback.

• 04/04/07 - £104 exit fee refund - Portman BS
  • Halifax Current a/c 20yr (closed) - in progress - all 20 years statements recovered!
  • Halifax Platinum Card 15 yr - Court Action Commenced - all 15 years statements recovered!
  • A&L Current a/c - You're next..

Write to your MP and

COMPLAIN about the ANTI-CONSUMER way in which the OFT Test Case is being handled!

Yes I see what you mean, and as you say, knowing the way the MPs work, the will probably have to go up to London by first class expensive travel, to stay in a top class expensive hotel a few days before the meeting to claim on there bulging expense account. When we were running a small business, we had to pay every single penny, no private expenses allowed, we had tax inspectors, Vat inspectors, even NI inspectors all to make sure they squeezed the last drop of blood.

Anyway please please go get them.

Thanks for your copy Berserker. How many more ppl are getting these letters from the FSA, everyone I shouldn't wonder.

Your right olden & smutley, it IS a complete & utter joke, & trouble is we're all now sick & tired of it.

I really do hope you will get some good news when you see Joan Humble stone, & she does do something to help.

I'm also sorry to hear that the BBC hasn't got back to you olden, & thanks for trying to get us noticed more than we already are.

13/07/07 **WON** Halifax

Any advice or opinion I give, is what I have learnt from CAG, If in doubt, please consult a professional.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Please don't worry too much olden, try having a bit of a breather, it won't do for you to make yourself ill over this.

13/07/07 **WON** Halifax

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi,

Another reply from John Greenway MP for Ryedale, he wrote to the FSA (who churned out the standard response) and Angela Knight Chief Executive of the British Bankers Association, who has crossed swords on many occasions with Martin Lewis on GMTV.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w9/Themainman_bucket/bba1.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w9/Themainman_bucket/BBA2.jpg

Capitalism is the legitimate racket

of the ruling class.

Al Capone

I contacted Austin Mitchell MP. He sent me a very nice letter via email. He wholeheartedly agrees with our campaign and would like to take my letter with to the other ministers. Result!:D

If you think I have been any help at all, click my scales, go on.... You know you want to! :lol:

LLoyds: (Husband) - *Settled in full* 20/12/06

Halifax: (Mum) - *Settled in full* 05/12/06

Studio: *Settled in full and more* 09/12/06

GE Capital - *Settled in full* 16/11/06

Barclays: - *Settled in full* 04/01/07

Capital One: - *Settled in full* 02/02/07

MBNA: - *Settled in full* 30/01/07

Yorkshire Bank (Friend) - *Settled in full* 30/06/07

LLoyds TSB x 3 in progress (Friend x 2 and Husband again)

Abbey National in progess (Friend)

Thanks for that michelle, that's brilliant news, at least it's something very positive to our campaign. I've added him to our list. Is there any way that you can scan your email & post it on this thread ?? or even forward it to either MacBoy or myself by email, just pm & we can let you have our email addy.

13/07/07 **WON** Halifax

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]