• Tweets

• Thanks for that. I will give them till Tuesday. Thanks for your help, very much appreciated. 
    • Ok thanks for that, well spotted and all duly noted. Yes they did eventually submit those docs to me after a second letter advising them I was contacting the ICO to make a formal complaint for failing to comply with an earlier SAR that they brushed off as an "administrative error" or something. When I sent the letter telling them I was in contact with the information commissioner to lodge the complaint, the original PCN etc quickly followed along with their excuse!
    • its not about the migrants .. Barrister Helena Kennedy warns that the Conservatives will use their victory over Rwanda to dismantle the law that protects our human rights here in the UK.   Angela Rayner made fun of Rishi Sunak’s height in a fiery exchange at Prime Minister’s Questions, which prompted Joe Murphy to ask: just how low will Labour go? .. well .. not as low as sunak 
    • From #38 where you wrote the following, all in the 3rd person so we don't know which party is you. When you sy it was your family home, was that before or after? " A FH split to create 2 Leasehold adjoining houses (terrace) FH remains under original ownership and 1 Leasehold house sold on 100y+ lease. . Freeholder resides in the other Leasehold house. The property was originally resided in as one house by Freeholder"
    • The property was our family home.  A fixed low rate btl/ development loan was given (last century!). It was derelict. Did it up/ was rented out for a while.  Then moved in/out over the years (mostly around school)  It was a mix of rental and family home. The ad-hoc rents covered the loan amply.  Nowadays  banks don't allow such a mix.  (I have written this before.) Problems started when the lease was extended and needed to re-mortgage to cover the expense.  Wanted another btl.  Got a tenant in situ. Was located elsewhere (work). A broker found a btl lender, they reneged.  Broker didn't find another btl loan.  The tenant was paying enough to cover the proposed annual btl mortgage in 4 months. The broker gave up trying to find another.  I ended up on a bridge and this disastrous path.  (I have raised previous issues about the broker) Not sure what you mean by 'split'.  The property was always leasehold with a separate freeholder  The freeholder eventually sold the fh to another entity by private agreement (the trust) but it's always been separate.  That's quite normal.  One can't merge titles - unless lease runs out/ is forfeited and new one is not created/ granted. The bridge lender had a special condition in loan offer - their own lawyer had to check title first.  Check that lease wasn't onerous and there was nothing that would affect good saleability.  The lawyer (that got sacked for dishonesty) signed off the loan on the basis the lease and title was good and clean.  The same law firm then tried to complain the lease clauses were onerous and the lease too short, even though the loan was to cover a 90y lease extension!! 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

JCI/Moriarty PAPLOC now claimform - disputed old Talk talk landline/broadband debt

surrey_36

I should have just paid this and be done with it years ago but talk talk kept disconnecting my internet and phone when payment was late and so I decided to get rid of them.  

They gave me a cut off date and disconnected me several days before the quoted date leaving me with no backup plan in place to work from home.   

I have been arguing this point with them for years and lowell have been chasing me.  

Last communication was from me to talk talk and Lowell stating that I would pay the amount £100 if they would agree to remove the default they issued on my credit file.  

they did not respond to this email that I sent on 17/4/23 but rather sent a county court claim for £271.28.  

pretty miffed given I tried making offer which they ignored and didn’t respond 

• dx100uk changed the title to Lowell claimform - old Talk talk ongoing debt

please complete this:

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• dx100uk changed the title to Lowell claimform - old Talk talk landline/broadband debt

Hiya DX - thank you :)

Which Court have you received the claim from ? Civil National Business Centre

Name of the Claimant ?JCI

solicitors  Moriarty Law Limited
Cobb House
2-4 Oyster Lane
Byfleet KT14 7DU

How many defendant's  joint or self ? Just me

Date of issue – 17/8/23

Particulars of Claim

1. The claimants claim is for the balance due under an agreement with talk talk dated 3/5/18 which was assigned to the claimant on 03/09/20 and which is now all due payable. 

2.The defendant agreed to pay monthly instalments under account number xxxxx but has failed to do so.

3.And the claimant claims the sum of £172.49. 

The Claimant also claims interest thereon pursuant to s.69 county court act 1984 limited to one year to the date of hereof at the rate of 8.00% per annum amounting to £13.79

What is the total value of the claim?£271.28

Have you received prior notice of a claim being issued pursuant to paragraph 3 of the PAPDC (Pre Action Protocol) Yes and I replied to them and tried to negotiate

Have you changed your address since the time at which the debt referred to in the claim was allegedly incurred? No

Did you inform the claimant of your change of address? N/a

Is the claim for - a Bank Account (Overdraft) or credit card or loan or catalogue or mobile phone account? LL/BB

When did you enter into the original agreement before or after April 2007 ? After

Do you recall how you entered into the agreement...On line /In branch/By post ? Online or by phone

Is the debt showing on your credit reference files (Experian/Equifax /Etc...) ? Yes - they defaulted the agreement when i was querying the debt.

Has the claim been issued by the original creditor or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim. Debt purchaser

Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment? Unsure

Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor? No

Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Sums in Arrears”  or " Notice of Arrears "– at least once a year ? No

Why did you cease payments? Becuase they did not resolve my complaint

What was the date of your last payment? My bank statements dont go back that far 10+yeas ago

Was there a dispute with the original creditor that remains unresolved? Yes

Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor and make any attempt to enter into a debt management plan? Yes I communicated my financial and personal problems but did not enter into a management plan for the debt as I felt they had been unfair and was looking for a fair resolution for example cutting the debt by 50% because they cut off the service before the quoted date,

claimant is not moriarty...

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

pop up on the MCOL website detailed on the claimform.
[if mcol is not working return after the w/end or the next day if week time]
 register as an individual on the Gov't Gateway Site
Go to HMRC's login page.
Click the GREEN sign in button.
Click “Create sign in details”
Enter your email address where asked.
You will now be emailed a confirmation code. ...
You will now be issued with a User ID for your government gateway account.
 note down your details inc the long gateway number given, you might need it later.
 then log in to the MCOL Website
 select respond to a claim and select the start AOS box.
 then using the details required from the claimform
 defend all
 leave jurisdiction unticked
 you DO NOT file a defence at this time
[BUT you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 ]
click thru to the end
confirm and exit MCOL.
get a CPR  31:14  request running to the solicitors [if one is not listed send to the claimant]

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/332546-legal-cpr-3114-request-request-for-information-when-a-claim-has-been-issued/

type your name ONLY
Do Not sign anything
.do not ever use or give an email
you DO NOT await the return of ANY paperwork 
you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 from the date on the claimform [1 in the count]

so the mention of lowells in your 1st post is wrong too this was JCI?

dx

and they

• dx100uk changed the title to JCI/Moriarty PAPLOC now claimform - disputed old Talk talk landline/broadband debt

Received a recent email letter from JC International Acquisition LCC myself.

Can I ask how old this Talk Talk debt is and when did Lowels/moriarty on behalf of JC International Acquisition first contact you? Expecting the same soon myself?

lowells i suspect is nothing to do with this at all a typo.

theres no relation between them and JCi/moriarty .

and they

Sorry this was my mistake it was never Lowells - its JCI then now Moriarty Law.

Have filed response online and done ass you said DX.  Letter in post (recorded) for CRP 31.14

Thank you for help will keep thread updated when response comes in

Thank you

theres no benchmark, they could leave it till near sb date to gain as much interest on their claim as they can, or they could issue it tomorrow ....as long as they've abided by the PAPLOC no-one can tell

dx

and they

dont miss your defence filing date no matter what

dx

and they

• 3 weeks later...

I have received a reply from Moriartry Law saying that they have requested all the information from JC and that they have ceased all collection activity,   they said it is up to me if i want to file a defence. 

I tried to log back into MCOL to do this but the system said the case number/password was invalid so had to send the paper version by post!

what defence did you file?

MCOL often has hissy fits at W/ends or holidays 

try monday

and they

Im not sure where to start with the defence - does this sort of thing count?

I have emailed them 3 -4 times over the last few years offering payment/payment plan  - and trying to negotiate that with the removal of the default due to the family trauma that had happened around the time. 

They replied about the payment plan but ignored the request about the default and made no reference to anything else. 

When i queried about the default they did not reply. 

Same earlier this year before the legal action i offered to pay account off and asked if they would consider removing the default due to the trauma and no response at all

Would this be no good for a defence?

They did cut me off before the stated date that they would disconnect. 

At the time they were aware of my difficulty but kept cutting me off the moment the payment was late and would not reconnect until it was paid - I was unable to do any work from home work. 

In the end i cancelled the service because they were so difficult to deal with and they quoted me a disconnection date but then disconnected days before - leaving us with no landline, no mobile phone outgoing calls, no broadband no way to contact outside world and at the time i was in a position where i needed to have access to make emergency calls.. 

I explained this on multiple occasions.

sorry so you've not file a  defence yet?

that was due more than a WEEK AGO!!

and they

Email or post ?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

1. The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and generic in nature. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made.

2. I have, in the past, had a contractual relationship with Talk Talk, however I do not recall the exact details, nor do I recall any outstanding balance. I am unaware of what debt the claimant refers to and have requested information pertaining to the claimants claim by way of a CPR 31.14 request sent on (insert date and method)  to the claimants solicitors, whom have replied ceasing all collection activities until their client replies with documentation.

3. the Claimant is put to strict proof to:

(a) show how the Defendant has entered into an agreement; and

(b) Show and evidence the nature of any breach; and

(c) show how the Defendant has reached the amount claimed for; and

(d) show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim;

4.Notwithstanding the above should the alleged amount claimed include an early termination charge(s) amounting to the entire balance of the remaining contract. OFCOM guidance states that any Early Termination Charge that is made up of the entire balance if the remaining contract is unlikely to be fair as it fails to take into account the fact that the provider no longer has to provide and pay for their service.

5. As per Civil Procedure Rule 16.5(4), it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation that the money is owed.

6. On the alternative, as the Claimant is an assignee of a debt, it is denied that the Claimant has the right to lay a claim due to contraventions of Section 136 of the Law of Property Act and Section 82A of the consumer credit Act 1974.

7. By reason of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief.

file the above NOW by email too:

[email protected]

MCOL is only one way of responding to a claim. 
(AOS, DEFENCE, N180 ETC)
If you are having problems logging in, or would prefer not to use MCOL
you can fax, email or post your response to the Court instead. 

ensure you quote “Claim number xxx xxx (type of response i'e AOS , Defence, N180)” in the subject field. 

dx

• Like 1

and they

thanks andy

dx

and they

hehe thats will upset them

be prepared for another std snotty letter from them braggin about how you dont stand a chance.

see JCI claimform threads.

dx

and they

• 1 month later...

Response received from Moriarty Law. 

It's tempting to accept the £224.71 full and final settlement but still would have the default on my file which is going to potentially getting in the way of me remortgaging when the mortgage reaches end of term in a few years

2023-10-02 Moriarty Begging letter.pdf

thats a std begging letter the claimants dogs always send in all jci claims. 

as i said in my last post, dont fall for their begging.

if there is a default registered on your file, that will vanish along with the whole account on the default notices 6th b'day regardless to whatever happens, the same on any defaulted debt.

and they