Visitor parking space- can I park?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2899 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I have recently moved to a quiet village and live in a block of flats in the middle of it.

We have allocated parking space for one car and there are additional parking spaces marked as 'visitors'.

My partner use the marked space while I was parking on the visitor space.

Mind you there are more than enough spaces for visitors there left, so thought this wouldn't be an issue.

The reason I don't park on the street is that it is very narrow and if I park there

some of the drivers will struggle to get passed, hence I rather to park on the visitors.

There are no other signs such as 'private land' or anything like that,

just says numbers on some spaces, and 'visitors' on the other.

I just had a nasty letter placed on my windscreen by one of the neighbors,

saying that I have just done trespassing as there are some 'regulations of the estate'

that allow only bona fide visitors to park there and even that not longer than 2 days in any 14 days period,

and if I am not a visitor I am not allowed to park there at all.

Have not seen any 'regulations', notice boards, road markings other than that 'visitor' sign.

Can they do anything to enforce it?

It only is a printed letter not a PCN but I don't want to park and block anyone if I don't have to.

(BTW road has no markings, sings or lines on it either).

Many thanks for your input,

Edited by honeybee13
Paras.

Your neighboure is just one of thse curtain twitchers who has nothing better to do all day. The fact they mention trespass shows that they are talking out of the wrong end of their alimentary canal so ignore them. If they persist in placing their taradiddles on your car you could make a complaint but who to? managing agents? freeholder? police for criminal harassment? All in all raising the temperature will do no-one any good so unless they actually damage your vehicle whatever they say and do is harmless.

My wife use to get this by some self-appointed "residents association" chair (the RA consisted of him and his daughter, no-one else would go near it) on a public road in Reigate when she parked there to go to work. When it proved to have no effect it soon stopped, must have cost them in paper and sellotape.

For an alternative point of view, I also live in a block of flats with allocated parking plus visitor spaces. What started with just one resident parking a second car in the visitor spaces has now escalated to the point where there are no visitor spaces left at all so visitors now have to park elsewhere, often for a fee. All of them also knew when they bought/rented that they would have only one space but went ahead anyway.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

but that is not a contractual issue, it is a problem with the planning laws of this country. Years ago every development had to provide at least 2 parking spaces and in some places 1 per bedroom but that all changed with the idea that everyone should take the train to work or cycle everywhere but they forgot that if you walk to work you have to leave your car parked at home. That again changed to 1 space per dwelling and some communal off road parking when more than a certain number of dwellings were in the development and even the number of dwellings in a development that required to the builder have some affordable housing in the project was altered so parking space disappeared under another block of flats on many plans.

My last house had PP for a garage granted provided a turning circle was put in so people could drive out onto the road rather than reverse. It meant that I actually had parking for at least 4 cars rather than any imperative to practice 3 point turns. I could also apply for 2 on street residents parking permits if I wished so they hadnt thought that one out too much.