Birmingham City Council have overcharged me for parking.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 194 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys and gals,
Just had a luvverly weekend in "Bankrupt Birmingham".
For various reasons, I actually paid for parking for the first time in many years.  (Ugh, hate it... rather walk half a mile to avoid it normally).

Anyway, signage said 4 hrs for £2.50.
Cash payment machine was just spitting coins out.
So, I called the Ringo automated line, to pay by card.
(Didn't want to waste my precious data, downloading a stupid app I'd probably never use again.)
When it came to payment, I was told by the robot that it was going to cost me £2.55... I was incensed... A 5p overcharge!
No choice but to pay it, as I wanted to park and cash payment was impossible.

so, just for a bit of a giggle... Any suggestions for an appropriate sarky email to send, demanding my 5p back?

OR, will it be a total waste of time, 'cos Birmingham Council simply can't afford 5p?

Signage pics uploaded...

20231014_160641.pdf

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

You'll probably find the 5p was the processing charge for paying by phone?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Nothing on the signage...

And why should I pay extra because their machine wasn't working?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

After lolerz comment, I've looked up this stuff on their website...

https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/info/20109/parking/414/pay_for_parking_using_your_phone/2

Automated phone service

Call 0121 367 0000 from the mobile phone you are registered with: (don't actually have a phone registered with them)

• select the vehicle you’re using
  • key in the location number when prompted
  • the number of minutes you want to pay for
  • provide the security code from your registered card (obviously don't have this either)

There is an additional 11p per transaction charge for using the automated phone service.

So, it's 11p extra to pay by phone... (Still doesn't match my 5p).

Also, there is absolutely NO way you can find out about the extra charge on the signage.

Illegal signage?

Contract void?

Can I ask for a "full" refund of £2.55?

Should I report them to the ASA?

Let's see how far we can wind this one up...