• Tweets

• Not really. His claim will succeed simply because its a simple matter of a lost parcel and no insurance. Its not a complex case so I think he’ll be fine, especially as it is P2G who arent very good at defending claims but I ageee its not been handled at all well.   My only concern with withdrawing is that he loses £35 in the case of £240 but thats a matter for him   I dont think it has a reduced chance of success if OP actually replies and actions things but if not then ofcourse it will struggle.   My concern is if he starts again it’ll be just as sporadic.   Maybe close thread and let him make a new one if hes ready to engage?
    • Please will you start reading up on the stories on the some form especially the pinned post. I have to say that I'm concerned that you feel that a warning from P2G is going to affect your rights and is going to subvert statutory law. I think you've been here for a few months and I would have hoped that by now you would understand that terms and conditions must always be interpreted in the light of overriding statute. Also I suggested that once you have done the reading on the sub- forum then you would understand the information that we would need in order to give you the best help. The fact that you haven't told us what the item was suggested also that you haven't done the reading. Please give us full details including identity of the item, value, where these properly declared? Dates – blah blah blah. Not paying attention to P2G. Pay attention to us
    • P2G can make clear whatever they want frankly, the judge isnt going to sit there and go “they told you to buy their insurance and you didn’t” and then dismiss your claim.  I would say you should send a formal complaint then after 7 days sent a LOC. Day 21 from now submit your claim on OCMC.    
    • I thought i could just use ( copy and paste)  the terminology from my other post earlier in the year when i previously claimed against P2g .   The parcel hasnt been 'officially ' lost yet i have another 13 days before their 'investigation' ends and then theyll probably offer the postage back as i didnt take the 'insurance'   But to recap ,  The parcel was booked through P2g and sent with Evri. No Protective Insurance was taken out. The parcels value is only £48 plus postage of £3 and the value of the parcel was declared The parcels tracking says while it was in Evri's system it was sent to an 'incorrect' depot and tracking would be updated in 24 hrs which it didnt and the delivery date passed, i then had a live chat with P2g who opened an investigation and im waiting to hear what's happened. My only concern is,  last time i claimed P2g made it clear that in future i must take out their protective insurance which i gavent and im wondering whether this will ' complicate' things ...  
    • it is precisely for these reasons that the OP should withdraw the claim and begin again. Firstly, the case has been badly handled from the start. The OP hasn't come to us and stuck to it in a regular engaging way. Secondly, it seems that the OP is now being advised on the basis of it being a matter of principle rather than looking at a sensible and pragmatic outcome. We have a duty to the people who come to help us to try and get the best solution for them that we can. Secondary is that we want to notch up a further victory against the parcel delivery industry – and frankly it doesn't matter which company it is as long as we get a victory. If we simply urge someone to continue a case at their own expense in a claim which has a very reduced chance of success, simply because it gives us personal satisfaction, then this is really contrary to what we do and certainly contrary to the interests of the claimant. I'm now urging the OP (Original Poster) to withdraw and to start again and work with us very closely in order to get a much more certain victory. By continuing this claim, not only with the OP risk even more money, it will take more time in the sense of failure will be demoralising. Better to feel that one is in control by exercising one's own choices and taking the long view
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

NPOWER - Complain, OFGEN or other route

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3245 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ok a quick scan on his forum says I'm not alone but here's my story

- just wondering what the best set of steps is,

i.e. complain to NPOWER even though I'm not a current customer, raise it with the regulator, or other options.

I was with NPOWER until December 2014.

I paid my bills on a monthly direct debit budget scheme.

When I switched suppliers I very kindly received a cheque from NPOWER for the balance on my account and thought that was that.

Of course I then got bills, lots and lots of bills with lots and lots of amounts.

It took them, in my opinion far to long to switch me as well.

I contacted them and asked how I could owe them anything when they'd just sent me a refund,

asked them to send me definitive bills with readings etc.

In the end I gave up and heard nothing.

in August I suddenly got a series of communications.

At the beginning of August I got 2 bills,

one for gas and one for electric, 16.19 and 4.37.

Then on the 12th of August I got a reminder for the gas, at £293.98 and one for the electric at 129.97

(remember I haven't been using them for about 8 months now!).

These were quickly followed by those very special telemessage things that are supposed to scare you on the 26th and 27th August.

Now here's where they really excelled themselves because

on the 28 August I got a threatogram from Collections Direct for the gas, 293.98 (at least the amounts were now consistent) but

one day later, on the 29th August I got a letter from NPOWER advising me they'd made a mess of it all and were writing off any outstanding balance.

And all went quiet.

Now I'd have to be honest and say I could not have told anybody whether I did or didn't owe them any money.

The number of bills I got showing different amounts - including a refund - had me completely lost.

Now today I receive reminders again, pay in 7 days etc etc.

So I want this gone once and for all.

I've not been a customer for over 15 months.

So do I complain to them in the first instance

or should I just take this straight up the food chain?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

they'll sight their IT billing system change as the cause I bet.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Whether you are a current customer or not, the regulator is not the way to go.

The regulator is weak and seems to have more interest in trying to police the industry rather than represent the thousands of individuals who are suffering problems and injustice at its hands.

However even when it comes to policing the industry, the regulator seems to be limp wristed and frit. Npower has already been fined and threatened and yet it has had no effect. The regulator must be well aware of this but nothing further has been done. In a Parliamentary debate in 2014 it was even suggested that npower should lose its licence – but of course it's business as usual and pain and frustration as usual for its customers.

We have found that the only way to go is to bring a County Court action. The County Court is the only thing which forces npower to look at itself and look what it's doing and to treat its customers or ex-customers seriously.

In cases such as yours, a small claim in the County Court will have a remarkably instant effect. Also it will be an opportunity to claim a bit of compensation.

Not enough people bring small claims against npower or the other utilities companies and this is one of the reasons why the customers are not taken seriously.

If you're interested in taking a small claim then you should read around this forum about small claims and the County Court.

It is very easy and pretty well risk-free. On the basis of what you say, your chances of success are better than 95%.

I would also recommend that you read our customer services guide and follow the advice strictly. Telephone npower several times and have conversations with different operatives – because you will get different stories and different promises – and make sure that you got it all recorded down and logged as per our customer services guide.

You should send npower an SAR. If they comply with it then you're likely to find quite a lot of interesting information about conversations that you have had in the comments that have been made about you. If they fail to comply with it – as tends to happen – then it simply gives you another breach of duty to include in your claim form when you go to the County Court.

The story you have given us here is a little bit garbled. It will be helpful if you would repeat it but in a chronological bullet pointed order.

Also, write a very clear and detailed letter to npower explaining exactly what has happened and saying that you want to make a complaint and that you want it sorted.

I think it is important to make sure that you have got a paper trail so that npower can never say will they weren't really told that you never really raised it with them.

At the end of the 40 days when the subject access disclosure is made to you – or when they have failed to comply, you should then send them a 14 day letter before action outlining again the problems – but this time tell them that if it's not sorted out and if you're not paid a reasonable figure in compensation then you will start a County Court action against them and without any further notice.

40 days gives you lots of time to gather all your evidence, to read up and to find out what you are doing and even to open an account on the MoneyClaim County Court services website. You can then put in your draft claim and save it and keep it ready for when the big moment comes.

I also suggest that you can check your credit file. You may will find that there is an entry on it – and if there is then you will have to deal with this and you will have to refer to in your claim – and you will have to figuring extra compensation for this breach of the data protection act as well.

If there is no credit file entry then I would suggest that a modest figure in compensation of about £250 would be reasonable to go for.

If there is also an entry on your credit file – then you might be looking at something getting on for £750 or more if you have had any difficulty getting credit as a result.

One final word of caution is that under the back billing rules they are not allowed to charge retrospectively for more than 12 months. You might find that they will eventually agree to write off the alleged debt simply because of the back billing rules and as a gesture of goodwill.

This is not an acceptable position for you because their files will still reflect the fact that you owed the money and that it wasn't paid. This could hurt you at sometime in the future and you don't need this kind of baggage.

The only acceptable position is that they acknowledge their error and that they agree formally that no money was owed.

If they merely write off the debt, you might be tempted to call it a day on that but this would be ill-advised in my view. – Anyway don't forget there's the compensation to be had as well.

When you do your MoneyClaim particulars, you must indicate in a checkbox that you will be sending fuller particulars of claim later on.

We will help you draft it all – but first of all you must decide if this is the way you want to go.

Hi bankfodder

I like the sound of all that. I will post a less garbled chronological version later today or over the weekend. In the interim I will SAR them today and also call to discuss with their customer services and get a recording, who knows maybe they will resolve it all ;-)

Right I've got a spare 5 minutes at work so here goes, in hopefully chronological order:

• I joined NPOWER as a customer around July 2009
  • I was on a budget scheme where I paid monthly by direct debit as advised by NPOWER. The amount would change over time, in theory based upon their estimates for my usage and my actual usage. I continued with this until leaving NPOWER in December 2013.
  • During my time with NPOWER their billing was always somewhat confusing, using estimates where readings were provided at times. Bills seemed to vary considerably but I didn't over worry as it was paid monthly.
  • In November 2013 I decided to leave NPOWER as the amount I was paying each month seemed to go up endlessly.
  • I started the switching process. In the end this took until late December, around 6 weeks.
  • I received a refund Cheque from NPOWER for the credit balance on my account at the end of November and believed this to be the end of my dealings with NPOWER. It transpired they delayed the switch by a number of weeks.
  • In December I received bills from NPOWER for various amounts. Unfortunately I didn't keep these. However I used their contact form and advised them I would not pay anything until they could send me a definitive bill, that represented the final readings I had supplied. I have an email saying they have sent me this on email but I never received it.
  • My transfer was finally completed and I paid no more attention to NPOWER.
  • On or around 03/08/2014 I received 2 reminders, both dated 01/08/2014. One for gas showing an outstanding balance of £16.19 and the other for electricity showing an O/S of £4.37
  • On or around the 14/08/2014I received a letter from NPOWER, dated 12/08/2014 headed 'Is there anything we can do to help?. The content said they were sorry my bill was late but asking for payment of my final electricity bill of 129.97.
  • On or around the 14/08/2014I received a letter from NPOWER, dated 12/08/2014 headed 'Reminder' saying I hadn't paid for my gas account which had a balance of £293.98
  • On or around the 24/08/2014 I received a letter from NPOWER dated 22/08/2014 headed 'Your outstanding final bill - please act quickly' and asking for payment of £129.97 for electricity.
  • On or around the 27/08/2014 I received a communication from NPOWER dated 26/08/2014. It was headed 'Telemessage' and advised my account number xxxxxx was not paid and suggested if I didn't pay the account may be passed to a DCA or even see a county court summons issued.
  • On or around the 28/08/2014 I received a communication from NPOWER dated 27/08/2014. It was headed 'Telemessage' and advised my account number xxxxxx (same as account from letter of the day before)was not paid and suggested if I didn't pay the account may be passed to a DCA or even see a county court summons issued.
  • On or around the 30/08/2014 I received a letter from Collections Direct (Part of npower) saying 'Final Demand' - the content said I hadn't paid my gas bill of £293.98 and this would count as notice of an intended court summons and the standard warnings about attachments of earnings etc.
  • On or around the 31/08/2014 I received a letter from NPOWER headed 'Energy supplied at: MY ADDRESS. This said we previously supplied gas to you - must admit I only saw the top headline and assumed it related to all energy supplied. The letter apologised for taking so long to send me a correct final bill and that to put things right they were writing off any balance relating to my final billing period. I genuinely believed this concluded my dealings with NPOWER.
  • On or around the 24/03/2015 2 reminders were received, one for gas and one for electricity, basic content we've tried to get in touch, you haven't paid, 7 days. Amount on gas is 293.98 and electricity is 129.97.

That about sums it up. Strangely I've just checked and I can still access my online account so I've take a whole load of screen shots for bills, payments etc in readiness for court action.

OK. Thanks. That is a bit clearer.

Read the customer services guide. Make the calls I have suggested. Send the SAR now. Send the complaint letter now.

Let's see what it looks like in 40 days time

Keep an eye on your credit file

I have checked my credit file - nothing on there to date. I do check it regularly so should pick any change up.

Right so here's my plan of action:

1. Send a SAR to NPOWER
  2. Send a letter of complaint, detailing my issues and saying I want it dealing with.
  3. Call customer services and record the call. Go through the issues listed above.
  4. Compile my evidence, letters, emails, screen shots, recordings and register for money claim online.
  5. Create a draft on money claim.
  6. Wait 40 days, at the end of which they probably won't have complied. If they have I can review where it is at.
  7. Assuming they don't respond to the SAR send them a reminder giving 14 days but also using the reminder as a letter before action.
  8. Issue proceedings after the 14 days expire

Ok, I'll have a rad of your link before I call so that I can ensure I cover the points correctly on the telephone so I will first print the SAR and start writing the letter of complaint. I'll update as and when I hear anything - though based upon these threads there probably won't be much to update.

We will help you in the drafting of your particulars of claim. I suggest that you wait till the expiry of the 40 days for the SAR. Then send them the LBA. During the 14 days we will help you draft the claim and particulars of claim.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a brief update. Obviously still no response to my SAR and also none to my complaint.

I made a call (recorded and contemporaneous notes taken) and have to say it was a slog to get the screen notes to an acceptable level!

Now I say no response but that may not be exactly true. Linked or not I have had 2 communications from them, 4 letters in total (1 on each occasion for gas and 1 for Electricity). The first one those telemessage things that I think they believe makes us think it's all very serious and important we respond as instructed. I ignored these. The second was threatogram, take me to court etc etc. I am about make another call to NPOWER, just so I get it all on record.

Well done on the steps taken so far.

Yes, getting acceptable screen notes down is a difficult business – but you will get better at it with practice. Not only that, you will find out how useful it is when they start denying things.

When does the 40 day deadline for the data disclosure expire?

Have you started account with MoneyClaim yet?

Don't have any illusions – you will be bringing a County Court claim against them. Are you up for it and ready?

I haven't opened an account with money claim yet - can I do that even though I'm not yet at a point to start a claim?

I will need to double check the deadline date however I think it is 14/05/2015 - certainly thereabouts.

Just spoke to them, apparently they email me regarding my complaint - no email was received, have checked my spam folder and it simply isn't there.

Not only am I ready to start a claim I am actually quite looking forward to it. If things go as expected I will probably have to make 4 or 5 claims in the next few months as I'm now attacking a few debtors as well. I should be clear, when I say looking forward to it I simply mean it is the sense of empowerment I have got from finally taking control and being proactive rather than reactive that I relish, not the thought of attending hearings if it comes to that.

Yes you can open an account with MoneyClaim. It doesn't cost anything. You can get used to the interface. You can even start preparing your claim and then save it.

You only pay the claim fee right at the end of the process when the claim is fully drafted and you are ready to issue.

Yes there is a great sense of empowerment when one stops being bullied around and starts to hand a bit of it back.

I expect that you will find npower especially satisfying – although don't expect it to be easy because I experience so far, there legal assistance is pretty incompetent and seems to specialise simply in trying to frustrate the process and prolong the agony.

However, you will win in the end. There's no doubt

Cheers fodder - I'm in no rush, I will simply learn to be patient.

I have just registered with Money Claim so will have a look around and start drafting my complaint. I will also complete my list of documents so that I have a complete chronological list and set of documents ready come the day.

Do your initial draft here. We can help you refine it.

When you do your POC there is a checkbox to indicate that you will be sending a fuller version later. Check that box. Then do a short version on MoneyClaim and send the full one a few days later.

We will help you

I shall ensure I draft it here first. I will do the leg work first in terms of paperwork then look at the draft so I can have it in shape and be ready for when the SAR deadline passes and they either respond - or based upon reports on here, don't.

Hi All

Just noticed Lowlifes did a search on my CRA file in March. Can anybody advise under what legal authority they can do this, I have never given them authority and I have not made any credit applications in years.

As such I am hoping I can make a complaint and then bring the matter to the attention of the ICO - any advice or opinion very much welcomed.

Yes, you probably find that they have been instructed by npower. I'm going to join this new thread to your npower thread.

I suggest that you write to Lowell's.

I see that you have recently searched my credit files.

I would be grateful if you would let me know on whose authority you have done this.

If it transpires that you are acting for npower then please accept this letter as formal notice that I am not indebted to npower. Although npower alleged that I owe them a sum of money, this is in dispute and you should be well aware of npower's reputation for mismanaging the accounts of their customers and ex-customers.

I strongly advise you not to commence any collection activity against me or to place any markers on my credit file.

The dispute between myself and npower will soon be subject to litigation and I strongly recommend that you return the file to them otherwise you will become embroiled in the litigation as well.

Please note that the information Commissioner's guidelines are that markers should not be placed on credit files where an alleged debt is the subject of a legitimate dispute.

If you proceed with any collection activities or if you place any entries on my credit file then you will be in breach of the information Commissioner guidelines.

Yours faithfully

Hi BF - sorry I missed that last post but I have written to them asking them to explain their search - when/if they reply I will send the above, slightly re-wording the opening 2 lines if it transpires it is for NPOWER!

To my absolute surprise the operator I spoke to last week (17/04) assured me they would post the documentation they had already emailed about my complaint, the email I have never received, and I would have it within a few days and today ... it still hasn't arrived.

I'm just wondering at what point I issue a letter before action - I assume they work to similar timescales as the FOS of 8 weeks so will I wait for this deadline to pass, assuming they don't respond?

You are not bound by any eight week deadline. Eight weeks is just a cosy little agreement that they've got between the industry and the ombudsman. It is much more time than they need.

You already set out an action plan early on in this thread. You should follow that. If it wasn't a plan then you shouldn't of laid out.

Keep a little closer I on this thread in case you miss further advice.

Have you started reading up on taking a County Court claim?

I have - I also bought the Patricia Pearl book a few weeks back so I'm going through that as well.

I wasn't sure if we had to allow them their 8 weeks, if the courts would say we hadn't given them time to respond.

Now I know I don't I shall crack on. I have registered with MCOL and started a draft claim - well that makes it sound like I've done more than I have. I have though pulled together a list of documents so far and order them chronologically. I've got screen shots from their online billing system to print yet and I am still waiting on their SAR response but I will use that as the trigger to start the claim.

Well blow me down I've received a letter today - a sort of response to my SAR and I wonder if I can get some views on how I should respond.

Now the date on the letter is 23/04/2015 so, being generous, 21 days after they received my request. The letter is simply a form saying that if I want a sar I have to complete their form and supply 2 forms of ID. On the form they also want me to list the times and dates of any call recordings I want!

Now my temptation is to write back and tell them you've had a legal, paid for request for any and all data you hold, your 40 days started when you received that so get on with it and stop trying these delaying tactics - but is that the best option - is it better to comply to some extent so that I get the data I will need before I start legal proceedings?