• Tweets

• Post #415 you said you were unable to sell it yourself. Earlier I believe you said there had been expressions of interest, but only if the buyer could acquire the freehold title. I wonder if the situation with the existing freeholders is such that the property is really unattractive, in ways possibly not obvious to someone who also has an interest in and acts for the freeholders.
    • i dont think the reason why the defendant lost the case means anything at all in that case. it was a classic judge lottery example.
    • Hello, I will try to outline everything clearly. I am a British citizen and I live in Luxembourg (I think this may be relevant for potential claims). I hired a car from Heathrow in March for a 3-day visit to family in the UK. I was "upgraded" to an EV (Polestar 2). I had a 250-mile journey to my family's address. Upon attempting to charge the vehicle, there was a red error message on the dashboard, saying "Charging error". I attempted to charge at roughly 10 different locations and got the same error message. Sometimes there was also an error message on the charging station screen. The Hertz 0800 assistance/breakdown number provided on the set of keys did not work with non-UK mobiles. I googled and found a bunch of other numbers, none of which were normal geographical ones, and none of which worked from my Luxembourg mobile. It was getting late and I was very short on charge. Also, there was no USB socket in the car, so my phone ran out of battery, so I was unable to look for further help online. It became clear that I would not reach my destination (rural Devon), so I had no choice but to find a roadside hotel in Exeter and then go to the nearest Hertz branch the following day on my remaining 10 miles of charge. Of course, as soon as the Hertz employee in Exeter plugged it into their own charger, the charging worked immediately. I have driven EVs before, I know how to charge them, and it definitely did not work at about 10 different chargers between London and Exeter. I took photos on each occasion. Luckily they had another vehicle available and transferred me onto it. It was an identical Polestar 2 to the original car. 2 minutes down the road, to test it, I went to a charger and it worked immediately. I also charged with zero issues at 2 other chargers before returning the vehicle. I think this shows that it was a charging fault with the first car and not my inability to do it properly. I wrote to Hertz, sending the hotel, dinner, breakfast and hotel parking receipt and asking for a refund of these expenses caused by the charging failure in the original car. They replied saying they "could not issue a refund" and they issued me with a voucher for 50 US dollars to use within the next year. Obviously I have no real proof that the charging didn't work. My guess is they will say that the photos don't prove that I was charging correctly, just that it shows an error message and a picture of a charger plugged into a car, without being able to see the detail. Could you advise whether I have a case to go further? I am not after a refund or compensation, I just want my £200 back that I had to spend on expenses. I think I have two possibilities (or maybe one - see below). It looks like the UK is still part of the European Consumer Centre scheme:  File a complaint with ECC Luxembourg | ECC-Net digital forms ECCWEBFORMS.EU   Would this be a good point to start from? Alternatively, the gov.uk money claims service. But the big caveat is you need a "postal address in the UK". In practice, do I have to have my primary residence in the UK, or can I use e.g. a family member's address, presumably just as an address for service, where they can forward me any relevant mail? Do they check that the claimant genuinely lives in the UK? "Postal address" is not the same as "Residence" - anyone can get a postal address in the UK without living there. But I don't want to cheat the system or have a claim denied because of it. TIA for any help!  
    • Sars request sent on 16th March and also sent a complaint separately to Studio. Have received no response. Both letters were received and signed for.  I was also told by the financial ombudsman that studio were investigating but I've also had no response to that either.  The only thing Studio have sent me is a default notice.  Any ideas of what I can do from here please 
    • Thanks Bank - I shall tweak my draft and repost. And here's today's ridiculous email from the P2G 'Claims Dept' Good Morning,  Thank you for you email. Unfortunately we would be unable to pay the amount advised in your previous email.  When you placed the order, you were asked for the value of your parcel, you stated that the value was £265.00. At this stage the booking advised that you were covered to £20.00 and to enhance this to £260.00 you could pay an extra £13.99 + VAT to fully cover your item for loss or damage during transit, you declined to fully cover your item.  Towards the end of your booking on the confirmation page, you were then offered to take cover again, to which you declined again.  Unfortunately, we would be unable to offer you an enhanced payment on this occasion.  If I can assist further, please do let me know.  Kindest Regards Claims Team and my response Good Afternoon  Do you not understand the court cases of PENCHEV v P2G (225MC852) and SMIRNOVS v P2G (27MC729)? In both cases it was held by the courts that there was no need for additional ‘cover’ or ‘protection’ (or whatever you wish to call it) on top of the standard delivery charge, and P2G were required to pay up in full for both cases, which by then also included court costs and interest. I shall be including copies of both those judgements in the bundle I submit to the court next Wednesday 1 May, unless you settle my claim (£274.10) in full before then. Tick tock…..    
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Devitt asking for insurance instalments when bike was stolen and cancelled

mashmallow
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3307 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Do they charge a fee on stolen property like this? I thought if you went for it more or less right away then it was just returned to you. Seems immoral at best to charge you a fee for returning stolen property when retrieving it is their job.

Yes I would have thought so, cannot even call tem or e-mail, called police for advice and was told to go down there. They could have called first, but sent a letter. He will have to pay to get the bike back as it is and there is ignition damage, so he does not want to know, no body told them to keep it in their compound so god knows what date they found it? all they could charge me is £75 for crushing it I think, aint got a clue???

Mashmallow

I think you can appeal the fee.

My Yamaha FJ1200 was removed from a motor way after I had broken down. This was removed in the time it took me to get to a telephone and call the AA and getting back to the bike. I thought it had been stolen but after a bit of detective work found it had been taken to a police pound where they wanted to charge me for its removal from the motor way plus storage. To cut a long story short I appealed the charge by speaking to the officer in charge of the pound explaining what had happened. He did not argue at all just agreed to release the bike and I took it away on a trailer.

In your case - the bike was stolen and you have come to recover your property. If they want to charge you ask under what grounds and plead poverty and ignorance - and surely the person who stole the bike should be charged not the victim etc. If you are calm and reasonable there is a good chance you will retrieve the bike without problems.

Apparently there is some damage, he is going tomorrow to see it, if there is too much damage can he leave it with them to dispose of. They will probably charge a disposal fee.

Also further expense of getting back via pick up vehicle.

Thanks for your reply very useful.

if its too damaged, why pay a disposal fee.

Scrap it for cash :D

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

The police called and said the bike was recovered in my area and taken to Charlton

apparently I told them to store it in a safe place,

no one called to let me know they had found the bike which was found in my area,

could have called and told me to deal with it

but no take to a pound and so far the cost is £240.

Spoke to the pound and told them I did not want to know anyone about the bike

and they said after 14 days after recovery it will be disposed of but could still want costs for storage.

I reported it to my insurane company when it was stolen and had no response back until

I called them and they said no call was logged and now wanted details

I have now told them where the bike was and I was claiming so by rights they should deal with it and any costs am I right or wrong.

Mashmallow

• 2 weeks later...

Further to this

he contacted the insurance company and told them the bike was reported stolen on the 19th December

but apparently the call was not logged,

so only now they are dealing with the claim,

they are taking the bike from the pound to a breakers/sales company in Canvey Island,

they are asking for the keys, services history and log book no doubt they are going to auction it off.

They have not mentioned anything about what actual damage was caused nor what or if they will pay out.

He was questioned by the assessor like he was in police custody.

Further to this he has paid his insurance for the whole year up to this month,

they are now saying he has to continue with his policy further until the claim is settled.

So he has to sign himself to another year of insurance payment even though he has not got the bike anymore.

Surely this is wrong???

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mashmallow

As long as it was insured at the time of the event that caused the claim the rest is nonsense.

You can insure with another company or not at all but you will have to go down the SORN route until they decide on what is happening

otherwise they may decide to repair and then have you reported for not having an insured/taxed vehicle and void the insurance.

Petty, but possible

• 1 month later...

Thanks for that

but further to this a new story has arisen,

Insurance company/loss adjusters collected the bike and took it somewhere in Chelmsford

asking for the keys, and relevant paperwork

this was sometime in January,

since then has heard nothing until contact was made by the ombudsman who he complained to.

Within 4 days finally got a letter from the insurance dept,

saying I owe then £270 which is for a further years insurance

and told me it is illegal to drive a vehicle without insurance.

He has not got the bike,

does not know who has got the bike,

does not know if it has been auctioned off or sold for scrap,

no mention of any payment coming to me.

They obviously believe I still have the bike and want to carry on with their insurance policy.

This is totally unbelievable.

the bike Is their property until the relevant paperwork is put in place and an offer is made to me for the loss of my bike

as it was covered by a so called insurance company.

Please advise on what he does not this is total nonsense.

He has also SORN it off the road beginning of March when the next tax instalment was due, so he has done everything by the book.

Please can someone give us any direction to what to do next.

Mashmallow

On the 19th December my sons bike was stolen from my drive

he reported it to the police and also to the claims department.

No news at all for about 4 weeks

when he contacted them to be told there was no claim recorded.

had to go through the whole details again.

The beginning of January got a letter from Charlton car pound saying the bike was recovered and kept there, costs have incurred in the region of £270.

My son told the insurance company as he paid his policy

it was down to them to investigate damages etc

and make me an offer as he did not have the money to take it out myself

they removed the bike and took it to their disposal grounds either to be auctioned off or to be sold.

They asked for the keys, log book, proof of licence and policy.

Since then

this was about a month and a half ago

they have not made an offer of any compensation to me or any settlement offer

instead he gets a letter from the Brokers Devitt asking for the next year insurance policy payment.

When the last years policy was paid in full and not renewed obviously because he no longer he no longer has a bike to insure.

You would have thought they knew of the bike being stolen and their claims assessors have possession of the vehicle.

He has no knowledge of where the bike is at present or what is going on.

Not a penny has been awarded.

This is totally out of order and disgraceful.

Please can someone give us any direction to what to do next.

Mashmallow

old and new threads merged for history

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Make a formal complaint using their complaints procedure or write a letter to their head office addressed to their Managing Director.

Here is a link to their complaints procedure

http://www.devittinsurance.com/complaint-procedure/

What you want Devitt to do is investigate all the points you are making and to come back with a written response. I think it is time to make a formal complaint in writing.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• 2 weeks later...

Since my last post I totally had enough and called the insurance company to just return his bike which they did on 24/3.

Devitt apparently had no knowledge of this, hence

the 2nd April he went to his bank to draw his benefit out

only to find out that Devitt had taken £124.86 cancellation fee on behalf of the underwriters instructions ERS

who knew the bike was stolen and also up to the 24th March the bike was in their possession at a salvage company.

How can they just assume he intended to carry on paying for a policy when the bike was going through a claim,

he did not have the bike they had it,

the policy expired on the 6/3/15 all instalments were paid.

They took the money out without his knowledge and consent and

the Halifax tells him that the DD was authorised by my son??????????

Apparently the policy is carried on automatically if done online??

even so they must have had records of the situation of the vehicle and the claim?

This has left him with no money over Easter as it was his benefit and also left me out of pocket

not knowing if the money will be returned this is legal robbery as far as I can see.

I have contacted Devitt and also sent an e-mail but they have told us that we will have to wait until they hear from ERS (underwriters) is this right????

Please can someone advise us, this is totally out of control on all parties.

regards,

Mashmallow

nope haliprats are wrong [sadly as usual for them]

they MUST refund under the DD guarantee as the people taking the DD

did not write prior to taking it out.

under the DD guarantee they must inform you of when and what amount is coming out

they cannot just take it

the orginal guarantee would have only been for the duration of the insurance policy

and he would have gotten a schedule through as well prior to it being set up

this 'next years' payment will NOT be listed

so is unlawfull under the existing [expired] DD mandate

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

nope haliprats are wrong [sadly as usual for them]

they MUST refund under the DD guarantee as the people taking the DD

did not write prior to taking it out.

under the DD guarantee they must inform you of when and what amount is coming out

they cannot just take it

the orginal guarantee would have only been for the duration of the insurance policy

and he would have gotten a schedule through as well prior to it being set up

this 'next years' payment will NOT be listed

so is unlawfull under the existing [expired] DD mandate

dx

Agree.

Halifax have to refund, as it was not authorised or notified to you. All Halifax have to do, is to return unpaid per the Direct Debit guarantee. And remember to ask them to cancel the DD.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread