Can EE block handset when I default on monthly contract?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3059 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Dear Caggers,

I need some advice.

I have a contract with EE. I cannot afford the contract anymore as I have other priorities (my gas usage is increasing rapidly as it gets colder)

When I got the contract, I was under the impression that the handset was "free" and the monthly payments is for a "service" (calls, internet, texts etc) not a product too.

Can anyone clarify whether (when I default) my handset will be blocked/blacklisted or just the contract SIM?

I have tried to help myself by looking for the answer but all stories are conflicting.

EE say they block the phone AND sim (but I am told this is scare mongering on the handset part into forcing you to pay the monthly contract)

I would expect they would put a block on your phone preventing you making further calls on that SIM card

A new sim would get around that

You will be liable for duration of contract

They will pass it on to debt collection

If that fails they are known to do court

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

I would expect they would put a block on your phone preventing you making further calls on that SIM card

By "block on your phone" : do you mean

Block on the phone itself, by the phone's IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identifier), which is independent of the SIM card/ phone number, as you go on to suggest :

A new sim would get around that

You will be liable for duration of contract

They will pass it on to debt collection

If that fails they are known to do court

To my understanding, they only block IMEI's based on e.g. theft reports / if there has been an insurance claim for theft.

If IMEI blocked, the handset couldn't be used on any network in a country that uses the Central Equipment Identity Register ("IMEI blacklist")

If not IMEI blocked there would be nothing stopping someone putting e.g. a PAYG SIM from a different network in the phone (provided the phone is unlocked)

The "phone number" ( / SIM card, identified by its IMSI number) would likely have its service suspended for non-payment, and would be so whichever handset it was put in.

I don't know if this would apply to bar all calls (incoming & outgoing) or just outgoing calls......

If the scenario is for example, an iPhone that came "free" with a 2 year contract and the contract defaulted I can see that they have claim to the phone as well as the service provided on that phone. The contract is designed to pay off the price of the phone as well as the service.

IHB is right - they do court.

Thank you for your reply. When they persue me for the outstanding balance, surely that includes the hidden costs for the handset. Would they then technically be persueing the full outstanding debt and "restricting" and blacklisting the handset? (it doesn't make sense) .......would the outstanding debt include the handset?

What will they do to me in court, will I go to prison for non-payment?

From previous experience, EE/orange have blocked the sim car from being used but have not barred the phone, I had an Iphone 3,

i managed to get the phone unlocked and used another sim card. as for chasing the debt, they will write several letters demanding payment, then after a while they will sell the debt on. the account I had was sold to Lowell.

if the purchasing debt company do try court , they try for a CCJ in order to get the outstanding balance from you,

debters do not go to prison for debt

Thank you for your reply. When they persue me for the outstanding balance, surely that includes the hidden costs for the handset. Would they then technically be persueing the full outstanding debt and "restricting" and blacklisting the handset? (it doesn't make sense) .......would the outstanding debt include the handset?

What will they do to me in court, will I go to prison for non-payment?

Consumer Credit Debt is Not a Criminal Offence, a civil matter in the civil courts

if it gets that far.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

By "block on your phone" : do you mean

Block on the phone itself, by the phone's IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identifier), which is independent of the SIM card/ phone number, as you go on to suggest :

To my understanding, they only block IMEI's based on e.g. theft reports / if there has been an insurance claim for theft.

If IMEI blocked, the handset couldn't be used on any network in a country that uses the Central Equipment Identity Register ("IMEI blacklist")

If not IMEI blocked there would be nothing stopping someone putting e.g. a PAYG SIM from a different network in the phone (provided the phone is unlocked)

The "phone number" ( / SIM card, identified by its IMSI number) would likely have its service suspended for non-payment, and would be so whichever handset it was put in.

I don't know if this would apply to bar all calls (incoming & outgoing) or just outgoing calls......

If it doesn't get not imei blocked, can I use PAYG sim on same network (well T-Mobile, merged company now I think with EE)

From previous experience, EE/orange have blocked the sim car from being used but have not barred the phone, I had an Iphone 3,

i managed to get the phone unlocked and used another sim card. as for chasing the debt, they will write several letters demanding payment, then after a while they will sell the debt on. the account I had was sold to Lowell.

if the purchasing debt company do try court , they try for a CCJ in order to get the outstanding balance from you,

debters do not go to prison for debt

Do you think they are just scaremongering then, when they say they will block the handset via the imea for non-payment?

would they need the contract SIM to be in the phone in order to send a signal to the handset to blacklist/block the handset?

No.

A handset barred on the CEIR is blacklisted by IMEI.

When your phone tries to register on a mobile network it sends both the IMEI (" phones own serial number ") and IMSI ("SIM card number") to the network.

The phone may be blocked by IMSI, IMEI, or both.

Barring by IMEI can be independent of the SIM card.

Only the owner of a handset can request an IMEI block.

If you are on one of those new-fangled split contracts, your mobile network company may be able to claim they own the handset until the final payment for the handset is made, but on an old style single payment service contract, YOU are the owner of the handset, and the handset has no relation to the contract, as the companies are so eager to tell you if you have warranty issues.

I explained to them that I can no longer afford this outgoing as I have other priorities (food, gas/electric) and they stated that the monthly charge is for my "line rental".......it seems that failure to pay may result in the handset being unusuable/blacklisted when the phone gets cup off :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Old thread I know but they will do nothing to the phone, they have no rights to really and will just persue you for the money as if it were a debt. When you first start the contract you either get given a FREE handset or you pay for it upfront. You then are committed to the contract and the value of the contract is the debt they will chase, this will include the cost of the phone but as far as you are concerned the phone is yours.

Things would just get messy if they started messing with blocking phones or demanding them back etc.

Similar to any other debt really, they don't demand you to give them back what you used the credit for(well not unless they go to court but this only seems to happen with houses, correct me if I'm wrong)

I explained to them that I can no longer afford this outgoing as I have other priorities (food, gas/electric) and they stated that the monthly charge is for my "line rental".......it seems that failure to pay may result in the handset being unusuable/blacklisted when the phone gets cup off :(

The charge is for the line rental and not the phone rental. The phone is yours but you owe them for the line rental up till the end of the contract.

• 8 months later...
Hi confusedbunny,

I know this is an old post but is your phone still active now?

Yes phone is still working and that's over. Year ago I stopped paying . Hope this helps

• 5 months later...

I think they can I had my phone for about 7 months now all of a sudden I cant ring or text because not registered to network. and I have tried everything. I had to stop paying it because my rent went up and my work cut my hours.