Lowell and BT early termination charges Debt - not mine

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 172 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, looking for some advice please.

I have received several letters and phone calls over a period of about 2 years from Lowell financial, they all relate to a debt that is nothing to do with me.

I have explained this to them many times but now I just ignore them.

I sent them a prove it letter (which I now think was a mistake) and they replied with the original account number , an address and phone number that has never belonged to me.

The debt is with BT  PLC ( 267.48)  early termination charge from December 2012. They go on to say due to the retention period for BT PLC  and age of the account we are unable to obtain your document , we apologise for any in convenience caused. Based on the information provided , we consider the balance to be valid and owing.

I have lived at my current address since 1983 and never had an account with BT PLC.

I don't understand where they got my name , current address and phone number.

Are these people allowed to just pick a name and harass that person.

They just keep sending letters and phoning me.

I just want them to stop

any advice will be gratefully received,

thanks.

• dx100uk changed the title to Lowell and BT early termination charges Debt - not mine

just ignore them and block their numbers

a DCA is NOT A BAILIFF

and have

ZERO legal powers on ANY debt, no matter what it's type.

as you've not realised, your mistake was responding to them.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Highly suspect this is Statute Barred. Lowell are chancing this here even if it was yours. 

Others may have differing views. Did they supply a payment summary? When payments have been made etc? 

You could try matching those upto any dates etc 

That would be the best evidence to prove them wrong.

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

In addition to the advice and questions from my to site team colleague is above, on the basis of what you say there seems to be some serious inaccurate processing of personal data.
This will be a breach of the data protection act.

If we can ascertain exactly what has happened, you could go on the attack if you would like. They could be a small amount of damages involved for you and you might find it very satisfying.

• Like 1

Thanks for the response. No payment summary just .

application address which I don't recognise

agreement start date 27th July 2012

tariff description

landline number (not recognised by me)

disconnection date December 2012

disconnection reason - customer terminated

early termination fee 267.48

default date and balance 30th April 2013  321.00

no credit agreement required

They also say that they have requested a copy statement of the account from the original creditor. They could not obtain that document as the debt is to old apparently.

I cannot see that any of this is proof that the debt belongs to me even if it did.  As I said the address and phone number have never been in my name and I have never had an account with BT PLC. I can't think of any way to prove them wrong other than my address has not changed for 40 years.

Do I just ignore them from now on ? or is there a way to stop the harassment?

Have you checked your credit file?

If they've been foolish and adding things on it then you may be able to sue them and obtain damages for defamation.

Have you written to them and told them that they must stop the harassment as you are not the individual they are looking for?

Keep a diary of events and all their dumb missives they send.

You could if you so wished, exhaust their complaints procedure? Although, I'm guessing that it's been longer than 8 weeks since you told them to stop contacting you and that they have contacted the wrong individual?

Complain to the ombudsman, and the ICO for the data breach.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Not defamation. This is an extremely complicated action – not a small claim, very expensive to bring.

Inaccurate data processing is the way to go. Straightforward, pretty easy – and cheap.

I suggest you send an SAR to Lowell and also want to BT. Completely free of charge – they have 30 days to respond and it will be interesting to see exactly what they have got.

After that we can decide on an attack strategy.

• Thanks 1

Thanks again all for your response. 

There is nothing on my credit file and I have not written to them other than sending the prove it letter.

Once I got the response to that letter and seen the strange address and phone number I thought that was my proof of misidentification so I have ignored them since 17th may this year.

Last call I got from Lowell was yesterday 12/9/2023 and again I told them it's a mistake.

On the Lowell letters there is the original company name BT PLC plus the original account number, I have contacted BT online and they say that account number does not exist. M y wife then phoned BT ( because I am deaf ) and they also said that account number does not exist.

I have reported them to the ombudsman and they told me to report them to the CSA., not done that as yet. I was reading the SAR template on here , and was wondering about this part  

( If there is specific information which you require in order to satisfy yourself as to my identity, please let me know by return however, you are not entitled to impose any formality upon me or to require that I complete any particular form or template before you comply with your statutory duty. )

What information do I give them? and do I use the Lowell letters account number on the template?

excuse my ignorance on these matters and thanks again for all your help

Use this:

If there is specific information which you require in order to satisfy yourself as to my identity, please let me know by return however, you are not entitled to impose any formality upon me or to require that I complete any particular form or template before you comply with your statutory duty.

However, bear in mind that you have been content to send me demand sent threatening letters to me at my address and so as you are sufficiently satisfied as my identity in respect of that personal account matter, there should be no problem making a data disclosure using exactly the same contact details.

Yes, use the Lowell account number and any other reference numbers they give you.

it also wont hurt to copy and staple one of their letters to the sar.

and just so they cant argue any data protection get out, send them a copy of your ctax bill.

i will expect they are going to indicate this is some type of identity fraud.

is the address something totally alien to you  i e its not near you etc etc.

i cant also see any harm in also sending them our statute barred letter, as even if its nothing to do with you, that will totally nail them in their box as they wont be able to prove otherwise , you can find it in our debt collection section of our library.

dx

• Like 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Great idea but send the statute barred letter separately