Customer Compliance Office Interview - I dont understand?!

jamesharris343
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3863 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good Afternoon All,

I have just received a letter from the Department of Work & Pensions, detailing a notification of customer compliance office interview.

In other words, I need to go and talk to somebody about my claim.

I have done some research online and this is basically a fraud investigation - which to be honest (excuse the pun) has really annoyed me. I have been claiming for a year and actively seeking work and have actioned all their requests and declared everything along the way.

Obviously I will attend the appointment and I am very much looking forward to the discussion, that said I have two concerns and a question that hopefully you experts can advise me with :-

1. Just like with any 'hearing', the guilty/not guilty are not always charged correctly. My 'integrity' is at the discretion of the lady sat opposite me. So if for whatever reason (bad day, husband left her, kids playing up etc) she decides to find me 'Guilty'. What will happen then and how long will the appeal take? After the successful appeal, do I get any back dated money?

2. I have seen other people have had similar letters, saying the officer will attend their property. Can they ACTUALLY enforce this? I am very very particular of who I let into my property, after all - it is my home. I do not want a stranger coming here, let alone someone who is accusing me of criminal activities. I have no quarms with attending as many interviews as they want anywhere in the UK, but not at my home. Surely I have the right to refuse a home visit if asked, without penalising my benefits?

3. I live on my own - My girlfriend sometimes stays and even has her own set of keys to come and go as she pleases (she is a damn good cook and loves to clean my place as she only has a small room in her dads house - I know, Im very lucky ;) ). What do they deem as "living"? I assume this is looked at number of nights she stays over? What are the guidelines for this please.

Too me, this just looks like an easy way to stop paying legitimate job seekers to "help their quota" and it drives me nuts after seeing people in their smacked up and drunk for appointments who not only will not be looking for work, nobody in their right mind would ever employ them and I feel victimised being a polite, smartly dressed, non-violent claimant who clearly is trying but just not succeeding.

Thanking you all in advance, James

Hello and welcome to CAG.

I think you might be jumping to conclusions here. Generally with the DWP, compliance is more about making sure you have the benefits you're entitled to. It's nothing like compliance in the financial services industry, for example.

The majority of compliance interviews people ask about here turn out to be nothing to worry about.

Please have a read around the forum about compliance interviews. You can use the Search facility at the top of the forum.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

They don't look at the amount of nights. They care more about financial links - joint bank accounts, etc.

Some people on here have had these interviews and they appear to be more about checking whether you're on the right benefit and claiming everything you're entitled to.

First off, it's not a fraud investigation. There is a separate team that deals with that, called the FIS (Fraud Investigation Service). So don't go into this with all guns blazing - you'll just cause yourself unnecessary stress.

There are two main reasons why Compliance interviews happen. The first (and by far the most common) is that some percentage of claims are selected at random for these checks. The second is that someone has made a fraud report that the DWP is obliged to check out but isn't taking seriously.

1) The person who does the interview does not make the decision about your entitlement. She will collect the information she needs and copy any evidence you supply, and then (if necessary) refer the matter to a Decision Maker. Of course, if she can see straight away that there's no problem, she may simply close the case there and then. She also checks to see if there are any other benefits you may be entitled to.

2) Difficult one. DWP staff can only enter your home with your permission or a warrant. Compliance officers can't get warrants. In a lot of cases if you call them and say you'd prefer to visit the office they'll just think "Cool! Saves me a trip!" and accommodate your request. If, however, they're checking out a living together allegation then they might insist on a home visit and stop your payments for non-compliance if you refuse.

3) Your girlfriend comes around to clean and cook for you? Man, why could I never land one of those? Anyhow, "living together" is not defined in law, so each case is decided on its merits. The guidelines used by DMs can be found here.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Morning All,

Well I had my interview last week and it left me feeling sick and depressed.

Almost a week has passed and my deadline looms and Ive done nothing apart from visit my doctor. The govt people that are supposed to be helping me are ironically making me feel even more worthless and incapable of going back to society.

Because my money had fluctuated above the £6k penatly free limit, I have been overpaid (I had no idea about this - nothing was mentioned when I signed up. I dont consider £400 going into my bank account a few times from sales of personal goods a chance of circumstances!!). So when I have been selling personal items to help towards bills and being sensible I have ended up penalising myself !! Well Done James, you've screwed up again.

I now have to pay back what I have been overpaid (apparently £1 for every £250 for every fortnight that I was overpaid ?)

I estimate that there was probably a couple of months where I had £8000. So I probably owe between £32-£50. This investigation must already be into the £100s and is nowhere near finished - what an absolute waste of Tax Payers money, YET AGAIN in this country.

What really annoys me - is that he wants a copy of all of my bank statements for the past 9 months. Now this brings me to two points

1) How dare they? My bank statements are confidentail. They should 'my life'. How I live, where I spend etc

2) I dont have them! Ive enough clutter in my home and they get thrown away after Ive verified the transactions - and the bank will charge me for 'duplicates'. This is apparently my problem?!?

Where do I legally stand with this? I presume I could just tell them to do one and thats the end of that, but also the end of my benefits and I would not be able to sign back on for 6 months? Can I not just say that its a total invasion of my privacy and I am not prepared to do give them to them, however I will work out what I believe is owed and voluntarily pay back that contribution?

All of this makes me so very very angry when there is such a high percentage of people out there on JSA that have not worked for YEARS (if at all). Thats before I even start thinking about those that just use it for drink, drugs and smokes !!!!

Thank you. James

The low cost (and slow) way of getting copies of bank statements: Send a Subject Access Request to your bank along with a cheque for £10.

If you are claiming state (and/or council) benefits, you have to prove you are entitled to them. The DWP does not have to see personal financial statements, but without them, how can you prove your entitlement ?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

The low cost (and slow) way of getting copies of bank statements: Send a Subject Access Request to your bank along with a cheque for £10.

If you are claiming state (and/or council) benefits, you have to prove you are entitled to them. The DWP does not have to see personal financial statements, but without them, how can you prove your entitlement ?

So does that mean if I do not show financial statements I would have to pay back every penny Ive been paid since being registered on JSA? In other words, it is not for them to show guilt, but for me to show innocence (or in this case, a small mistake) ?

Thanks, James

You should really calm yourself down for a start,when you signed the forms asking for benefit and receiving it you will find there is a section that the DWP can access your bank details,they have probably already done so,they know your bank balances anyway,they just want you to get bank statements to make sure you show them all the bank accounts you have.You dont work out the overpayment owing,they do.This is the joys of getting dole money in this day and age.

DWP can access your bank details,they have probably already done so,they know your bank balances anyway.

The Compliance section cannot do this, but the Fraud section can.

As this case is currently being dealt with by Compliance I don't think they will have the statements, but if James refused to supply the statements & if it was deemed appropriate it could be upgraded to Fraud to start a criminal investigation.

At the moment whilst Compliance are involved the worst that can happen is an overpayment. IMO it would be pretty daft to risk escalating things.

At the moment whilst Compliance are involved the worst that can happen is an overpayment. IMO it would be pretty daft to risk escalating things.

Agreed. Play ball, provide as much information as possible - If for no other reason than to reduce the financial liability.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

The Compliance section cannot do this, but the Fraud section can.

As this case is currently being dealt with by Compliance I don't think they will have the statements, but if James refused to supply the statements & if it was deemed appropriate it could be upgraded to Fraud to start a criminal investigation.

True, for me when working for the DWP, someone refusing to provide bank statements sends up a red flag that something dodgy has been going on.

To James, it is well known that bank statements may need to be provided intermittently while claiming benefits, it shouldn't be a surprise - where public funds are concerned every effort has to be made to be sure that they are being paid appropriately, and especially where a query has been raised on a claim. Heck, I had to provide bank statements for a basic housing application. It really isn't a big thing unless there is something to hide.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Morning All,

Well I had my interview last week and it left me feeling sick and depressed.

Almost a week has passed and my deadline looms and Ive done nothing apart from visit my doctor. The govt people that are supposed to be helping me are ironically making me feel even more worthless and incapable of going back to society.

Because my money had fluctuated above the £6k penatly free limit, I have been overpaid (I had no idea about this - nothing was mentioned when I signed up. I dont consider £400 going into my bank account a few times from sales of personal goods a chance of circumstances!!). So when I have been selling personal items to help towards bills and being sensible I have ended up penalising myself !! Well Done James, you've screwed up again.

I now have to pay back what I have been overpaid (apparently £1 for every £250 for every fortnight that I was overpaid ?)

I estimate that there was probably a couple of months where I had £8000. So I probably owe between £32-£50. This investigation must already be into the £100s and is nowhere near finished - what an absolute waste of Tax Payers money, YET AGAIN in this country.

What really annoys me - is that he wants a copy of all of my bank statements for the past 9 months. Now this brings me to two points

1) How dare they? My bank statements are confidentail. They should 'my life'. How I live, where I spend etc

2) I dont have them! Ive enough clutter in my home and they get thrown away after Ive verified the transactions - and the bank will charge me for 'duplicates'. This is apparently my problem?!?

Where do I legally stand with this? I presume I could just tell them to do one and thats the end of that, but also the end of my benefits and I would not be able to sign back on for 6 months? Can I not just say that its a total invasion of my privacy and I am not prepared to do give them to them, however I will work out what I believe is owed and voluntarily pay back that contribution?

All of this makes me so very very angry when there is such a high percentage of people out there on JSA that have not worked for YEARS (if at all). Thats before I even start thinking about those that just use it for drink, drugs and smokes !!!!

Thank you. James

If you don't need help from the state then end your claim and don't provide them.

If however you need the benefits to survive, provide them.

Or do you have something to hide!

If you don't need help from the state then end your claim and don't provide them.

If however you need the benefits to survive, provide them.

Or do you have something to hide!

Yeah, folks have already said this. Let's not labour the point.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Sorry didn't realise the board doesn't do free speech.

There's free speech and then there's bullying. Everyone piling in and saying the same thing is a bit much. At least let James answer the points that have been made. This board is also about help, not judgement or accusation. Maybe you didn't mean your post to come across that way - unfortunately tone doesn't always come across well in posts.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Sorry didn't realise the board doesn't do free speech.

Free speech is fine - I didn't delete your post, did I? That doesn't mean I'm not going to ask you to stop being a jerk. Free speech means you can crap on your own rug all you want, but it doesn't give you licence to crap on ours.

I'm sorry to hear about wot them people are doing to u James. I think u can get free printed statements from ur bank? Keep strong mate

RLP are a con PLEASE DON'T PAY THEM TO DO MORE! IGNORE ALL LETTERS AND CALLS! :)

Free speech is fine - I didn't delete your post, did I? That doesn't mean I'm not going to ask you to stop being a jerk. Free speech means you can crap on your own rug all you want, but it doesn't give you licence to crap on ours.

Ah right so name calling to get your point across and your part of the site team! Talk about irony.

Perhaps it would have just made more sense to delete my post if you find it that offensive.

There's free speech and then there's bullying. Everyone piling in and saying the same thing is a bit much. At least let James answer the points that have been made. This board is also about help, not judgement or accusation. Maybe you didn't mean your post to come across that way - unfortunately tone doesn't always come across well in posts.

Totally agreed. Everyone deserves help regardless of what mistakes they have made especially those who hold there hands up. Everyone has done something wrong at one point in their life - taken a pen home from the office etc

Anyway to the issue in hand - Do you have online banking? You can print off old statement or transaction histories from there. My sister had a similar problem she just didn't spend her benefit money and it would build up and build up. She has never smoked, drunk alcohol, gets fed and watered at Day Hospitals and all the other instituations she attends. I have to laugh her CPN would take her shopping to buy new clothes and try to make her spend money but she would fight and go to jumble sales and pay pennies for things. It was her CPN and Social Worker who deal with her benefits and she only gets what she is entitled to but still it build up if she doesn't spend. Wish I could live on £10 a week!!!

Ah right so name calling to get your point across and your part of the site team! Talk about irony.

Perhaps it would have just made more sense to delete my post if you find it that offensive.

Then I apologise for the intemperate language, but my fundamental point stands: help or get out of the way.

Thanks to all those that replied.

I understand that not showing them may look like you have something to hide - but I just feel its an invasion of my privacy. Something that just seems to happen on every corner of every day in this country now.

To ellaborate - when i signed up I showed these things as I had too to be 'accepted' into the programme. I thought that would be the end of it. At the end of the day, they are there to try and help me find work and give me a small token every fornight to help me a) stay alive and b) have the funds to look and attend interviews. Surely anybody that HAD money / work, would not bother going through all their hoops for £35 a week.

I printed online bank statements off in the end and handed them in - I doubt they'll except these as I know mortgage companies won't, but will wait and see.

Now they have stopped paying me - its left me worried and stressed. I attended a job interview yesterday and made an absolute mess out of it. How long does it normally take from the bank statements before everything goes back to normal?

James.