• Tweets

• Post #415 you said you were unable to sell it yourself. Earlier I believe you said there had been expressions of interest, but only if the buyer could acquire the freehold title. I wonder if the situation with the existing freeholders is such that the property is really unattractive, in ways possibly not obvious to someone who also has an interest in and acts for the freeholders.
    • i dont think the reason why the defendant lost the case means anything at all in that case. it was a classic judge lottery example.
    • Hello, I will try to outline everything clearly. I am a British citizen and I live in Luxembourg (I think this may be relevant for potential claims). I hired a car from Heathrow in March for a 3-day visit to family in the UK. I was "upgraded" to an EV (Polestar 2). I had a 250-mile journey to my family's address. Upon attempting to charge the vehicle, there was a red error message on the dashboard, saying "Charging error". I attempted to charge at roughly 10 different locations and got the same error message. Sometimes there was also an error message on the charging station screen. The Hertz 0800 assistance/breakdown number provided on the set of keys did not work with non-UK mobiles. I googled and found a bunch of other numbers, none of which were normal geographical ones, and none of which worked from my Luxembourg mobile. It was getting late and I was very short on charge. Also, there was no USB socket in the car, so my phone ran out of battery, so I was unable to look for further help online. It became clear that I would not reach my destination (rural Devon), so I had no choice but to find a roadside hotel in Exeter and then go to the nearest Hertz branch the following day on my remaining 10 miles of charge. Of course, as soon as the Hertz employee in Exeter plugged it into their own charger, the charging worked immediately. I have driven EVs before, I know how to charge them, and it definitely did not work at about 10 different chargers between London and Exeter. I took photos on each occasion. Luckily they had another vehicle available and transferred me onto it. It was an identical Polestar 2 to the original car. 2 minutes down the road, to test it, I went to a charger and it worked immediately. I also charged with zero issues at 2 other chargers before returning the vehicle. I think this shows that it was a charging fault with the first car and not my inability to do it properly. I wrote to Hertz, sending the hotel, dinner, breakfast and hotel parking receipt and asking for a refund of these expenses caused by the charging failure in the original car. They replied saying they "could not issue a refund" and they issued me with a voucher for 50 US dollars to use within the next year. Obviously I have no real proof that the charging didn't work. My guess is they will say that the photos don't prove that I was charging correctly, just that it shows an error message and a picture of a charger plugged into a car, without being able to see the detail. Could you advise whether I have a case to go further? I am not after a refund or compensation, I just want my £200 back that I had to spend on expenses. I think I have two possibilities (or maybe one - see below). It looks like the UK is still part of the European Consumer Centre scheme:  File a complaint with ECC Luxembourg | ECC-Net digital forms ECCWEBFORMS.EU   Would this be a good point to start from? Alternatively, the gov.uk money claims service. But the big caveat is you need a "postal address in the UK". In practice, do I have to have my primary residence in the UK, or can I use e.g. a family member's address, presumably just as an address for service, where they can forward me any relevant mail? Do they check that the claimant genuinely lives in the UK? "Postal address" is not the same as "Residence" - anyone can get a postal address in the UK without living there. But I don't want to cheat the system or have a claim denied because of it. TIA for any help!  
    • Sars request sent on 16th March and also sent a complaint separately to Studio. Have received no response. Both letters were received and signed for.  I was also told by the financial ombudsman that studio were investigating but I've also had no response to that either.  The only thing Studio have sent me is a default notice.  Any ideas of what I can do from here please 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

eBay - Defrauded by Buyer - eBay take the buyers side.

haggis1984
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3845 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I operate a shop on eBay (pretty much my sole means on income). I recently sold an item. Buyer complained that item was not as described and opened a case in resolution centre. I agreed that the item could be returned for a full refund (buyer has acknowledged that the information in the listing described the item accurately but that isn't the main issue ATM).

Buyer then has to enter tracking details for the returned parcel. They buyer enters 'returned in person to seller address.'

This categorically did not happen. The buyer actually lives nearly 200 miles away.

When I called Ebay customer services they advised me to speak to a different department and have the case 'escalated' I Was told that as the buyer had not entered valid tracking information for the return that the case would be decided in my favour.

So I spoke to the relevant department. They decided the case in the buyers favour. I called eBay customer services again. This time I was told that since I can't prove that the buyer didn't return the item the buyer's payment would be refunded.

So now I am stuck with a breach of policy report (arising from losing the resolution centre case), the buyers negative feedback and will most likely be out of pocket for the cost of the item without even having it returned to me.

I have spoken to the police who put me through to 'Action Fraud.' They stated that although they have many reports of this exact issue their policy is that it is a civil matter.

I'm open to any suggestions to get this resolved!

I have no legal qualifications whatsoever, so please check any input I have for accuracy. And please correct me if you disagree!

Sadly this is very common with eBay, they always side with the buyer.

I cant understand how eBay can side with the buyer when they entered incorrect tracking info.

And for them to say you cant prove the didn't is beyond a joke and i can understand your anger as this has happened to me.

If the buyer has obviously defrauded you the police should take notice and give u a crime number.

Sadly i dont think there is much you can do, as if you dont refund them they will just take it from your account. I didn't let them do this ( cancelled my card) but as its your income source you may just have to refund it.

Its a joke eBay dont care and their customer service is laughable and not worth it as they ignore seller concerns and side with the buyer even when the seller is in the right.

Phoning and emailing them is a waste of time as there emails are templates and talking to them is no good, u may as well phone your wall.

I am afraid that the way ebay is now carrying on is creating a frauds charter.

A seller with 100% feedback sold an item but then realised he had put the wrong photo in his listing.

Same model - but different livery.

He contacted the buyer and told him to return the item if he was unhappy for a full refund including return P&P.

The buyer refused to return the item without a refund first.

The outcome was ebay refunded both the buyer and seller so no one lost out.

The buyer however gained a free item.

Ebay also makes sellers refund buyers for lost item before the time a carrier considers them lost.

The guy has just messaged me to state that he has sold the item on for a profit. Despite previously telling eBay that he had returned the item in an attempt to gain a refund.

I have no legal qualifications whatsoever, so please check any input I have for accuracy. And please correct me if you disagree!

The guy has just messaged me to state that he has sold the item on for a profit. Despite previously telling eBay that he had returned the item in an attempt to gain a refund.

Can you not copy that message to Ebay ?

Or, if you have his address, perhaps you could use the message as proof in a small claims, claim ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks Citizen. Yes I have copied the message to eBay. I'd be very grateful for some pointers on putting together an LBA.

Thanks Citizen. Yes I have copied the message to eBay. I'd be very grateful for some pointers on putting together an LBA.

I will ask someone to look in on your thread.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Surely his message puts him on the wrong side of law as he appears to have committed fraud.

Perhaps the police should be asked to look at it again.

Have Ebay responded to this latest information ?

BCOBS

Hi,

I contacted Action Fraud again today. Since the buyer has now stated that he did not return the item (contradicting his statement to eBay that he had returned the item in person) they have taken a report and issue a crime reference number. They said someone will be in touch if they need any further info - I'm not sure what will happen next.

I've also passed the crime reference number to eBay together with a copy of the buyer's most recent message. No response from them as yet.

He's left feedback questioning the authenticity of the item and sales have completely dried up since. So really need to get this sorted ASAP.

You have the person's address and kept copies of all messages so if you get no joy from ebay or actionfraud (I doubt it that you will) you can sue him in the county court. You probably wot get much in the way of a response but he will have his credit rating trashed and you can have the joy of knowing that the bailiffs can visit him when he doesnt cough up. This will cost you money but do the claim online and you keep it to a minimum. Name Ebay as joint defendants if you wish, just use their registered address for the service of documents.

All in all it will mean spending another £50-120 but you can get some mileage out of it at the end by writing to his local paper and giving them notice of the hearing and they can make use of the public access as they see fit.

Yes I have copies of all correspondence and the buyer's full name and address. It's looking like small claims is going to be the best way forward I think. Hopefully someone will look in soon with some pointers for the LBA.

Yes, sorry about this.. Will try and find some advice for you :)

BCOBS

I think it will be fairly straightforward.

You have the purchaser's name and address.

You should head your letter..

"Letter Before Action" and it should be sent via Recorded or Special Delivery mailing (you will need to retain the receipt and print off the signature from the RM web site and retain that as well (for your "bundle")

Something along the lines of....

Dear NAME

Ref : Purchase of ITEM on DATE

Letter Before Action

On DATE you purchased via the Ebay auction site ITEM.

On DATE you received a refund for the item claiming that it had been returned. You entered a false tracking reference into the Ebay system in order to make Ebay and me believe it was being returned.

On DATE, you advised me by text that you had in fact resold this item, on Ebay.

You had no right to retain this item once a refund had been given and certainly had no right to resell it. I am now requesting that you repay the following :)

Purchase price of Item - £ XXX

Cost of postage. - £ XXX

If I have not received the above through my PayPal account within (10 - 14 days - But put a proper date), then it is my intention to issue a claim against you in the county court.

Yours etc,

I have left a message for Site team members to look in as well, so perhaps wait until later this evening, as most of them have day jobs :)

BCOBS

Great letter. If it was me, I would add the following:

"On being awarded a refund, ownership of the goods reverted to me. By reselling the goods without my permission, despite receiving a full refund, you committed the civil wrong of conversion and are liable for the full cost of the goods plus any profit made from the resale.

In addition, claiming that the goods were returned to my address in person in order to obtain a refund was fraudulent. As you will no doubt be aware, fraud is a criminal offence as well as a civil wrong. I do not consider I would have any difficulty in proving fraud given that your address is more than 200 miles away from mine. I am considering whether to make a formal police report.

Despite the above, I will not take any further action if you pay the original purchase price of £ ... (including postage) within 14 days.

If I do not hear from you within 14 days, I will commence proceedings against you in the County Court. My claim would be for the price of the goods, any profit you made on the resale, interest and court costs. I would enforce any unpaid court order in the usual way, including the use of county court bailiffs."

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Thank you steampowered.. much more streamlined and forceful :)

BCOBS

Thanks guys! :)

Can I add anything into that LBA regarding having his negative feedback removed?

I really have no idea about that, I guess you could slip it in.. after all, it is like having a credit file trashed really isn't it.. one bad mark can destroy all the good ones.

BCOBS

Just discovered something interesting about this guy.

He is trading on eBay under a company name - and has a few selling items active. The company name he is using - and the registration number displayed on his listings - relate to a company that is registered as dissolved according to companycheck.co.uk.

Does the fact that he purchased the item from me using his business account and had the item delivered to his business address change things? I'm wondering if this means that he purchased the item as a business? And since that business is dissolved does that make the fraud more serious?

Just had a typically useful email from a manager at eBay customer support:

'Crime reference numbers are not something we can accept.'

Well then.

Thanks guys! :)

Can I add anything into that LBA regarding having his negative feedback removed?

You can certainly request this as a condition of accepting payment instead of starting a court case to claim the profit.

This is not an issue to threaten litigation over though. I don't think you should threaten a defamation claim unless you intend to follow through, defamation claims generally must be started in the High Court in London and cannot be dealt with in small claims.

Thanks Steampowered :)

Do you have any thoughts on the info I provided in posts 19 and 20?

Just discovered something interesting about this guy.

He is trading on ebaylink3.gif under a company name - and has a few selling items active. The company name he is using - and the registration number displayed on his listings - relate to a company that is registered as dissolved according to companycheck.co.uk.

Does the fact that he purchased the item from me using his business account and had the item delivered to his business address change things? I'm wondering if this means that he purchased the item as a business? And since that business is dissolved does that make the fraud more serious?

Just had a typically useful email from a manager at ebaylink3.gif customer support:

'Crime reference numbers are not something we can accept.'

Well then.

If the company no longer exists, that would avoid any argument about whether the individual is personally liable or whether only the company is liable. But you can 'pierce the corporate veil' and pursue the individual responsible in cases of fraud anyway. I don't think it matters whether he was dealing as a business or an individual, fraud is fraud whichever way you slice it.

I'm not sure what to make of eBay's response. It sounds like they either do not have the resources to investigate this or they just aren't interested.

Some good news, I got my money back :)

Bad news is I still have the breach of eBay policy violation on my account and the neg feedback. I have exhausted eBay's appeals policy now too.

If it really bothers you to have the breach notice and neg you can swear an affidavit in front of a solicitor that your reputaion has been damaged by ebay's actions and they will often remove it as that is seena s a precursor to legal action where they are named as a co-respondent. All costs money though so is the red dot that much of a problem? Better off leaving a comment in response to the dot and moving on to other things.