Exceeding Emergency Credit?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4059 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have had to go into my Gas emergency credit :( - what happens if I exceed the £5.00 limit? its already on -£3.85 and its got to last me two days - naturally I have turned the boiler off am only having it come on for short intervals tonite.. and I won't be using the hot water! Am just worried about if I exceed my emergency credit limit will it just shut off? am guessing it will...

Btw I am going to change to EDF as I have heard they don't charge a standing charge unlike all the others and offer £6.00 emergency credit - does anyone know if this is true?

Many thanks for your replies.

• Haha 1

what happens if I exceed the £5.00 limit?

You can't, your Gas will go off. ( well that's what mines does) :(

EDF: A prepayment meter normally has £6 of emergency credit. (This amount may vary, so please contact us to check.)

• Confused 1
Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

yep

off it goes.

dx

• Confused 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Pity they dont follow suit like electricity meters do. With those, if it is a sunday or similar, the electric wont switch off till 8 am the next day.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Pity they dont follow suit like electricity meters do. With those, if it is a sunday or similar, the electric wont switch off till 8 am the next day.

Yeah, that's what I thought, I thought the "so-called" friendly credit applied to both - but it doesn't - looks like I will staying in bed - I can't decide to ration it or just keep it on and then let it run it out.... lol

EDF: A prepayment meter normally has £6 of emergency credit. (This amount may vary, so please contact us to check.)

Yeah definitely going to switch to EDF - I hate British Gas, used to work for them, and they are total cr*p as an employer too!

Eon dont have a standing charge on their prepayment gas either,prefer them to edf or the truly horrible british gas!

Sorry mrbigjase but this has changed.

As you say, we didn't used to have a daily standing charge on our gas prepayment. Instead, we charged the first amount of gas used at a higher rate.

However, following our price increase on 18 January 2013, we replaced the former two tier charging structure with a daily standing charge.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

Malc

Standing Charge = always said it is criminal charge = as without meter how can usage be determined? the company should not make a charge for the monitoring for their use in respect of billing!

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

Standing Charge = always said it is criminal charge = as without meter how can usage be determined? the company should not make a charge for the monitoring for their use in respect of billing!

Hi Mike770

Standing Charges are used to cover our costs. This is for things like maintenance, reading the meter, keeping supplies connected to the grid, any rental charges and making sure the meter is safe.

It isn't an additional charge but replaces our former two tier pricing structure. Previously, the first amount of kWh used were charged at a higher price. This first tier, or primary, charge covered the costs mentioned above.

Customers have always paid for these costs but in a different way.

Malc

Well you've slipped that one 'under the radar',maybe i should pay more attention!

Sorry you missed our announcement about this mrbigjase. We did, though, write to all customers affected by the switch to a Standing Charge to let them know about this change.

Malc

Hi Mike770

Standing Charges are used to cover our costs. This is for things like maintenance, reading the meter, keeping supplies connected to the grid, any rental charges and making sure the meter is safe.

It isn't an additional charge but replaces our former two tier pricing structure. Previously, the first amount of kWh used were charged at a higher price. This first tier, or primary, charge covered the costs mentioned above.

Malc

Cost born in the price = maintain = change meter once in a very blue moon, come off it = distribution get the cost, meters how else would one know consumption, companies should have the initial cost supplement in order to acertain usage, no other way,=

customers should not be born cost for companies to acertain usage, it is an old argument which governments shyed away from decades ago.

Hi Mike770

Malc

with reference covering your costs

you fail to mention that the energy companies are allowed to make an operational profit of up to 10% more than there operating costs each year. That is at the customers expense. So why are these standing charges not abolished and the so called maintenance costs not taken out of your operating profits

making obscene profits out of the the most vulnerable sectors of society with higher standing charges/payment meters etc leaves a nasty taste in the mouth

Pre-payment customers, who are often among those on the lowest incomes, are charged an average of £215 a year more for their energy bills than someone paying by direct debit

the change back to a standing charge based tariff was also as part of feedback from customers who took part in E.ON's Reset programme. A good deal of customers responded with the fact they felt the two tier pricing was difficult to understand and they would prefer the standing charge if i remember reading this correctly?

Large energy users pay the majority of these costs separately and have to sort out their own contract for meter operator costs, which is a little more transparent, but I tend to agree, as it is essential to deliver the service, this cost should be included in the unit price.

with reference covering your costs

you fail to mention that the energy companies are allowed to make an operational profit of up to 10% more than there operating costs each year. That is at the customers expense. So why are these standing charges not abolished and the so called maintenance costs not taken out of your operating profits

making obscene profits out of the the most vulnerable sectors of society with higher standing charges/payment meters etc leaves a nasty taste in the mouth

Pre-payment customers, who are often among those on the lowest incomes, are charged an average of £215 a year more for their energy bills than someone paying by direct debit

Just an add on here, use to pay by cash, now pay by Direct Debit, have now been told I will save £40.00 per year on the Gas account. proves what squaddie says!

I base my figures on what accounts the energy companies release as operating profits,

i thought i would also mention

the 10% profit margin above the operational costs these energy companies make is allowed through the commercial contracts the energy companies have with the government, that's up to 10%. They will always maximize there profits with the 10% level, never less

i challenge the eon rep to refute the statements i have made so far

e.on don't operate in the 'groups' market, which would cover Government agencies and the such like, infact they don't contract with any customer who has more than 50 sites due to being unable to service them. They exited from this market a good few years ago with the closure of one of the buildings in Coventry

when the energy companies who won bids on energy contracts after deregulation, they all had to sign commercial contracts with the government. This contract set a minimum return that they would receive (10%) and the energy companies had to provide a level of service

That goes for the train, telecoms etc, they call it subsidy but it is the customer who pays in the end