Redundancy, Military Pension Claiming Job Seeekers

howierips
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4281 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

question relates to will I be able to claim jobseekers allowance or should I just save myself the humiliation of signing on?

Situation:

Just been informed by my employers of 11 year that my post is to be made redundant,

I am 56 years old, ex military

I completed 22 years and I am in receipt of my military pension payment,

I understand that if made redundant compulsory or voluntary you are entitled to claim Job Seekers allowance,

my question is as I have my military pension payment each month will I be entitled to Job Seekers?

I'm sure an expert will be along soon, but I imagine you are entitled to 'contributions based' job seekers allowance, which is paid for 6 months regardless of your income. After the 6 months I believe your pension would be deducted from JSA pound for pound.

Most likely it would be best to sign on for your 6 months, then close your claim.

I'm assuming you have enough NI contributions for a full retirement pension. If you're not sure, you can ask for a forecast - a google search should turn up the details. If you don't have enough contributions you might need to continue signing on even after the 6 months just to get your NI credits.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Hi,

Try using one of the benefits calculators such as http://www.turn2us.org.uk/benefits_search.aspx

I am in receipt of a service pension also, but as I am now retired due to disability, I do qualify for some benefits.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

you be lucky to get anything unfortunaly, i am in the same boat and apart from my esa, i am not able to claim any other types of benifits including houseing and councail tax, this is the thanks we get for puting our lifes on the line for queen and country

Thank you all for your time to reply, RMW I really wanted you to be right I knew I would not be entitled to other benefits but just wanted to confirm if JSA was worth going through the humiliation process to claim but sadly it appears as my old service muckers confirm it does seem I wil not get much or nothing at all of JSA?

I've just checked on a couple of benefit sites and they all say contribution based JSA is not means tested.

Is there any harm in making the claim and seeing what they say? If they say you're not entitled then you can always withdraw the claim.

If you do decide to make a claim, could you post the outcome in case it helps someone else?

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Check yourself on http://www.entitledto.com

That is the best way, then you can take the info it provides to the DWP when you go to sign on.

I think it is a disgrace that the military people do not get an 'automatic' allowance when they are made redundant - after all look at the MPs who get 'grace and favour' places worth an arm and a leg... and they don't have to risk either in their plum positions.

Hi SG1 thanks for your support and the link and just had a quick look and can see that I was not understanding is that JSA is 2 types:Income-based JSA is means testedContributory JSA is Non means testedI will do a search as necessary but anyone know is there a great deal of difference in what is actually paid? amounts?

SG1, thanks good news, mind a little easier now its not a fortune but will lessen the impact for 6 months as I am envisgaing in present climate it not being easy to get another job either at same income or less as I am 56. Now need to go to pensions see about private pension drawing early at 56 or cashing it in as only been paying in since 2003?

I can't advise about pensions, but you might be able to get Brigader who is on here to see what they can do. I can alert them to this thread if you want.

You might want to look at going self employed and claiming tax credits (do that on the same site) as it might be more than unemployment benefit, you might also qualify for a bit more housing/council tax benefit that way too.

SG1, thanks good news, mind a little easier now its not a fortune but will lessen the impact for 6 months as I am envisgaing in present climate it not being easy to get another job either at same income or less as I am 56. Now need to go to pensions see about private pension drawing early at 56 or cashing it in as only been paying in since 2003?

Hello there.

If you contact the pension company/ies, they should be able to tell you what your options are. I would ring in the first instance and ask for written confirmation of what they tell you.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

JSA© is not means tested, but two types of income are taken into account: income from employment and income from pensions. As mentioned upthread, the first £50 of pension income is disregarded, the rest will be taken pound for pound from any award.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Hi SG1 thanks for your support and the link and just had a quick look and can see that I was not understanding is that JSA is 2 types:Income-based JSA is means testedContributory JSA is Non means testedI will do a search as necessary but anyone know is there a great deal of difference in what is actually paid? amounts?

The main difference from your point of view would be the disregard - £50 of pension income is disregarded for JSA© but for JSA(IB) all of it would be taken into account.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.