• Tweets

• I've just acknowledged the claim and im reading up on how to do the cca and cpr requests now.   Thanks for all your help         Edit:   I was jus reading the cpr 13 template and it says i am requesting: " 1: the agreement. You will appreciate that in an ordinary case and by reason of the provisions of CPR PD 16 para 7.3, where a claim is based upon a written agreement, a copy of the contract or documents constituting the agreement should be attached to or served with the particulars of claim and the original(s) should be available at the hearing. Further, that any general conditions incorporated in the contract should also be attached.   2: Notice of Assignment*   3: The Default Notice*   4: The Termination Notice*(if applicable for loans/HP/)   5: Statement of Account*   6: [any other documents mentioned in the Particulars of Claim]* "       What should i be deleting as could number 4 be classed as a loan because its a credit card?
    • Hi dx   Post 23 letter has been hidden as has a name in it. I did read the thread and in post 7 saw mention of 'must complain within 3 years of being aware it was mis-sold' if this is what you are referring to? Also my policy is live currently.   I think you know this, but it seems the RBS/Halifax agent doesnt know, that 'I became aware it was mis-sold just before I raised my claim (2019) having read a media article'  as I dont think the PPi team showed them the original claim form maybe, who knows.   Expanding, sorry I missed the word PPi after 'loan' in my post you quoted and highlighted. To be clear, the life protector was not for a loan, but a mortgage, and that mortgage did have a mis-sold PPi on it which they have admitted and refunded.   If it helps, I have several mortgage offers here from 1999 and they say 'Minimum life cover to be assigned to the bank'    The odd thing here is, I started the mortgage and PPi in 1999 but it was 2003 this life assurance started. I do categorically recall being told it was something I had to have though.   Many thanks   E 
    • MP's are good for other things but for some reason are not very good for Council Tax.
    • I've just acknowledged the claim and im reading up on how to do the cca and cpr requests now.   Thanks for all your help  
  • Our picks

• I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
    • Natwest Bank Transfer Fraud Call HMRC Please help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428951-natwest-bank-transfer-fraud-call-hmrc-please-help/&do=findComment&comment=5079786
      • 33 replies

private parking invoice and I stupidly admitted being the driver - Help!

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3278 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Really hoping someone can help here!

I received a PCN today stating I had parked for 4 hours 20 minutes in a private carpark and the maximum time allowed was only 3 hours.

The company is Inner Guard Security.

They have pictures of me entering and leaving the carpark.

There are signs stating parking terms. (Of which I was not aware)

The fees are usually free (Up to 3 hours) with no option to pay to stay longer.

Over the telephone to the com[any I stupidly admitted being the driver.

What now? Will they pursue this to court? Should I write to their appeals dept. and claim I was not infact the driver? Should I pay or ignore this?

Please help me.

Hi and welcome to CAG

I would work out the losses they got from a FREE car park then follow the advice above:-D

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

I think its unlikey to be chased.

HOWEVER.

I feel parking signs stating prices are valid if visible to form a contract (against the driver not owner).

To claim nothing is due as its a free car park is accepting the contractual terms where it states its free, but ignores those suggesting the charge.

Now if there was land with no notices then parking could result in damages (tort/delict) that would be close to zero - but I have yet to be convinced a contract is not formed with undeniable noticable signs.

Ok - most would not proceed to court due to the owner/keeper issue - but I still feel a contract has been created?

If there was never a contract based on signs, then are NCP extorting moneys from drivers to lift the barrier blocking exit?

I would be delighted if shown I was wrong.

I think its unlikey to be chased.

HOWEVER.

I feel parking signs stating prices are valid if visible to form a contract (against the driver not owner).

To claim nothing is due as its a free car park is accepting the contractual terms where it states its free, but ignores those suggesting the charge.

Now if there was land with no notices then parking could result in damages (tort/delict) that would be close to zero - but I have yet to be convinced a contract is not formed with undeniable noticable signs.

Ok - most would not proceed to court due to the owner/keeper issue - but I still feel a contract has been created?

If there was never a contract based on signs, then are NCP extorting moneys from drivers to lift the barrier blocking exit?

I would be delighted if shown I was wrong.

I'm afraid your point is not relevant on this thread as the car park was a free one.

You do have to ask yourself though that if a contract has been made, what is the cost of that contract.

Have they lost anything? I don't think so

Is it a money spinner-hell yes

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

It is relevant on this thread.

Loss in the way you state applies to tort/delict - and the 'free carpark' is only free under some of the terms of the contract.

Accordingly what you claim is landowners cannot set terms or prices to park on their land.

As two examples - its free to park at Glasgow Airport for 10 mins - but normal style charges apply subsrquently. This is displayed on their notices. Does this mean I can park for an hour - drive out tailgating a paying car - and claim they made no loss? Its pretty much like saying carparks must have barriers.

Alternately if i pinched a pizza in asda and was caught - should I repay the price - or only the costs related to making it as this would prevent a loss (and ptrevent a profit).

The terms have to be reasonable to both parties though. Depending on what they are pursuing the OP for, £75 (for example) after three hours free in a car park is clearly a punitive charge designed to deter the driver from overstaying. As such, its a penalty.

its a penalty and comes on a speculative invoice.

neither are enforceable.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Even if there is a contract formed there is the issue of the charge being a penalty.

But the charge would not have to be a penalty if not referred to as such, and reasonable in amount.

A term suggesting '£20 per hour waived for the first three hours for shoppers staying under 3 hours, this concession being removed when remaining over that time' would imply a flat but high rate to all.

But the charge would not have to be a penalty if not referred to as such, and reasonable in amount.

A term suggesting '£20 per hour waived for the first three hours for shoppers staying under 3 hours, this concession being removed when remaining over that time' would imply a flat but high rate to all.

We are drifting off the point here. The OP came for advice, not a debate on the whys and wherefores of contract law

Yes - but it was to clarify what I felt were incorrect perspectives as no actual charge was specified.

Replies here constantly disregard it being a contract - and 'penalty charge' was not stated.

OMG - I am so twitchy in whether to pay or not - going to drive over and have a look at their sign.

I have admitted being the driver but thought the contract part was negligable?

I really really don't want to pay this, but want, even less, to pay any more!

It is very annoying as I was in the carpark designated for the shopping centre whilst actually shopping the whole time - 4 days before xmas which is why I was so long!

bang! you are not helping

to the OP

please ignore the speculative invoice

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Can I ask the OP what 'charge' (as in how much) you are being asked to pay?

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

The carpark is free - the signage doesn't actually state "Free for x amount of hours" it just states "4 hours maximum stay"

I was there for 4 hours 20 minutes! Although I spent over 20 minutes actually locating and pulling into a parking space - does this count for anything?

Sign says "MAXIMUM STAY" does stay also include the time you take driving around?

So nowhere does it state a charge per hour, waivered for so many hours for customers.

The sign states a £50 charge rising to £75 if not paid within 14 days of the PCN.

Also not sure where I got the 3 hours from as I have re checked the PCN and it doesn't state on there, anywhere, what the maximum stay time was? Maybe it was mentioned in the phone call to the company.

Sorry to ask for confirmation yet again, but even though I have admitted over the phone (Probably recorded call) that I was indeed the driver, I should still make no further contact (Not even to deny being the driver) or pay the charge notice?

admittance on the phone even if recorded is not admissable

please forget about it

dx

and they

The automated response to my call said it may be recorded for training purposes (You know the usual stuff!)

I did not put anything inwriting yet and wondered if I might write to say I am refusing to pay and that I was not the driver - if I get challenged on the phone call I will claim I was confused and not thinking straight after receiving the letter or was being sarcastic???

Really unsure what to do - even more so since reading the Money Expert guide. The only mitigating circumstance I have left is the charge is exorbitant.

Sorry, my questions were not meant to be understood as to contact them again. Just ignore it, however threatened and upset you feel, as this is their tactic. Put it to sleep. Nowt to do with mitigating circumstances as you have committed nothing!

Edited by HYMN AND MI

its not a pcn anyway

dx

and they