Help-RMA are coming to my house tomorrow

Honeypot
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5282 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

He told me that the credit card law has changed and they now are legally allowed to enter my home to retrieve their credit card as it belongs to them and that they can take goods to equal my arrears.

I have a little bit of Xmas money for my kids but it won't cover the arrears. He said as a gesture of goodwill they will postpone the home visit if I pay this money by tommorow. If I don't pay the full 2 months arrears by Dec 1st I will be made bankrupt.

As others have already said, there has been absolutely no change in the credit card laws at all!

If you still have the credit card, DO NOT return it to them, just cut it up into tiny pieces or put it through a shredder, ensuring that the signature strip is competely unreadable.

The 'threat' of bankruptcy is just that, a 'threat'!

They think by using such language that they can intimidate you and exploit your lack of knowledge.

No-one is ever allowed to 'legally' enter your property without your express permission, with the exception of the Police, Emergency services, or Bailiffs who have a court order.

As these threat monkeys have none of the required legal training or knowledge you can be rest assured that this is a very empty threat, but a very serious threat none the less, and one which must be reported not only to the relevant authorities, but I would even go as far as reporting the matter to your local Police station (not 999) and informing them that you have been threatened by these clowns that they are going to enter your property and take your belongings which they say they are legally allowed to do!

Besides they can't make you bankrupt without you knowing.

You must report them;

The Office of Fair Trading: Contact us

Financial Ombudsman Service

Consumer Direct

Trading Standards Institute - Home page

How to Complain

Complaints - Privacy & electronic communication - ICO

WriteToThem - Email or fax your Councillor, MP, MEP, MSP or Welsh, NI, London Assembly Member for free

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is absolutely outrageous. If this is not harassment and intimidation, I don't know what is.

If anyone still has a moral issue about not paying money to DCAs, they should read this.

Does anyone think there is any chance that the call was recorded and therefore sending a SAR and requesting a transcript of all calls might reveal something? Just a thought, as I hate to think that this low life can get away with this.

I've a nice little collection of the pretty postcards now.Scotcall did call but I told him to go away and he did,he had no alternative,there's nothing he can do.

My missis hasn't paid her cards since May and they still havnt actually done anything,they've threatened lots but done nothing.I got a letter today threatening to sell the debt even though they have my 'in dispute' letter.

They think they are above the law,and lets not forget these are multi pound companies who totally ignore the law and the government does nothing,the financial institutions including the watchdogs are all in the same bed.The end of the line though is court and there the rules have to be followed which is why they are all so reluctant to actualy go to court.

and lets not forget these are multi pound companies

:DYou got it right there! And hopefully with more and more people educating themselves over their rights, these companies sooner or later won't have two brass farthings to rub together....:grin:

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

The things the guy from MRA said are outrageous - completely untrue.

FWIW, MRA are the worst of the DCAs I've had to deal with, and they were the worst. The way they spoke to my wife on their first phone call to our house and my subsequesnt conversations with them made me think something wasn't right. I googled them and found this place!

Also, I've not paid a penny to any of the credit cards I held this year with debts in excess of £30k (one of them being a MBNA account), so please don't fret about this.

There is a wealth of information here and good helpful people who can help you deal with your situation.

Kind regards,

Mike

as an aside NEVER EVER return a credit card to the creditor- cut up or otherwise- no need for the reasons right now- just dont

Now, as you have probably gathered from the posts, debt collectors do not have any power of entry, to take your goods or do anything you would not like.

The only power they have is to talk to you.

if you write and tell the creditor that neither he nor any agent or employee ever has the right to call uninvited and that on no account will any discussion ever be entered into except in writing- then that is an end to it.

Don't be afraid of an uninvited caller and there really is no need to feel threatened, just tell them politely that you don't talk to strangers and close the door, he/she will NOT try to force their way in

If they stay outside and try to talk to you through the letterbox (and only a very small minority would) simply tell them if they do not leave you will call the police

if, in very the unlikely event that you do call the police - do NOT tell them you know who the person is- simply tell them you are a woman at home alone and a man is trying to force his way into your home.

Once you have grasped the legalities of what a debt collector can and cannot do you will have no fear of them

By the way if they start phoning you- get yourself a true call and remember the GOLDEN RULE

Never Never Never telephone them no matter what "carrot" or stick they use as a reason for doing so

if you do get a truecall, it wil record conversations,however dont be tempted to phone them or respond to their calls in the hope of trying to "trap" them saying something on the phone - you are clearly inexperienced at this time and in trying to trip them up - you may well trip yourself up!

finally keep in touch on this forum and you will be just fine

Edited by diddydicky
  • Haha 1

If Mr Green does turn up, ask him why he didn't keep his appointment with Alf 12 months ago. I made tea and bought cakes for him but he was a no show. How inconsiderate. LOL

Make an official complaint as advised earlier, This company is a slimey shower as are their parent company NCO, so if you recieve similar threats from them, they are only the same company so worry not.

As everyone has said there is nothing to fear from these clowns, they ARE nothing, CAN Do nothing, and talk through their A ole

Edited by alfwithhair

Oh my god thank you all for your replies. Bless you all. You are the only friends I have.

Well he didnt turn up as you all said.

Things are getting worse though. They have started ringing me at work. I work in a call centre and cannot accept incoming calls. I can be sacked for it. They are ringing me everyday at work. I was off yesterday but I was told they asked to speak to my Team Leader.

They were asking about my wage and overtime. I have worked overtime but that is for xmas for my kids toys.

Everyone at work knows I have money problems now.

Can anyone help on how to stop calls at work?

Love

Vicky

xxxx

Send recorded

Company Name

Road

Town

City / County

Postcode

Re: Harassment by telephone

ACCOUNT NUMBER: XXXXXXX

Dear Sirs

I am writing in relation to the quantity and frequency of telephone calls that I have received from your company, which I deem to be personally harassing. Furthermore calling my work place is against the OFT's guidelines especially requesting to speak to a Manager as this not only breaks the Data Protection Act but is pure harrassment.

I have verbally requested that these stop, but I am still receiving calls. (Delete if necessary)

I now require all further correspondence from your company to be made in writing only.

I am of the view that your continued harassment of me by telephone puts you in breach of CPUTR2008 in line with the Office Of Fair Tradings guidelines on debt collection, and the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.

If you continue to harass me by telephone, you will also be in breach of the Communications Act (2003) s.127 and I will report you to, FOS, OFCOM, Trading Standards and The Office of Fair Trading, meaning that you will be liable to a substantial fine.

Be advised that any further telephone calls from your company will be recorded.

Yours faithfully,

[NAME HERE]

Honeypot

Another way of stopping them from ringing is to phone them telling them that you are your manager and that as a company you do not permit your staff to receive incoming calls. Tell them in no uncertain terms that all calls are recorded and should they fail to stop calling then you (as your employer) will use the recordings and phone logs as proof for an official complaint. Should the threat monkey say that he wants to talk to you about money matters remind him the call is being recorded and he is breaching the Data Protection Act. It worked very well with me with the Leeds losers

If you do not feel brave enough to do this Im sure you know someone who would be good at this. Just remember to withold your number

You should contact Consumer Direct and report the calls to your work. Calling you at work without your consent, and discussing anything with anyone else (or doing anything likely to cause you embarrassment), is contrary to the OFT Guidance. Alternatively, call your local CAB - they are very good at ringing DCAs in this sort of case and pointing out the errors of their ways.

Honeypot, that is truly dreadful behaviour. This is the letter I use for doorstep callers - I added the charge bit so that if hell does freeze over and they turn up, I could at least make a couple of quid from it:D

Should it be your intention to arrange a “doorstep call”, please be advised that under OFT rules, you can only visit me at my home if you make an appointment and I have no wish to make an appointment with you.

There is only an implied license under English Common Law for people to be able to visit me on my property without express permission; the postman and people asking for directions etc (Armstrong v. Sheppard and Short Ltd [1959] 2 Q.B. per Lord Evershed M.R.). Therefore take note that I revoke license under Common Law for you, or your representatives, to visit me at my property, and if you do so you will be liable to damages for a tort of trespass and action will be taken, including but not limited to, police attendance.

In addition to this, if you ignore my refusal to give you permission to visit my property and continue with any kind of home visit, you will be invoiced £50 for the use of my footpath, which is private property.

As an aside, I have a letter from Gail Powell at MBNA (vp, or at least one of them!) stating in black and white that neither they, nor any of the companies they employ use doorstep callers. It might be worth a little letter to her asking why you are being threatened with it if it is not something they would actually do.

Although I would join in stroke a badgers hat eating if anyone did turn up, you can always print out a copy of that letter to keep by the door and if anyone does come just hand it to them and shut the door in their face. I printed one out about 18 months ago after many doorstep threats from different creditors. It's still sat by the door, gathering dust.

With the calls, can you get a recorder to use on the phone? Ideally you just want to get a name and jot down the time and date of the call, but do not go through security, just tell them you don't discuss financial details over the phone and that they must write. A recorder would help though as it's not uncommon for them to try and discuss the debt without you going through security. If you're not comfortable with picking up to get a name, then just log time, date and number. Also make a note of any messages - they should leave a message that says who has called and give a number to call back on, if they don't they're not following the rules. Shocking I know, but sometimes they don't;)

Time flies like an arrow...

Fruit flies like a banana.

A very very effective method of getting these idiots to take note, is to report them to the Police, simply tell them that this company is harassing you, and you have repeatedley told them not to call you at work, but they still do, and they are aware that you can be sacked for it, which is why they are continuing to do so.

If the Old Bill don't appear to interested, tell them that under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997 wish to makle a formal complaint.

Apart from that you must complain to Ofcom, amongst others, as this is a very clear breach of their own guidleines under the Telecommunications Act 1984

and if you DO get the sack

my god you will have ONE HELL of a claim against them- and i am talking mega bucks for lost income and consequential losses!!!

There is that aswell! Hmm, You could be on to something there??:D

Hi All

After complaining like you all recommended I have had a letter from RMA saying that they will take my work and home numbers of their systems!

Its been quiet for a few days so I am interested to see how long they will hold off for!

Thanks Everyone Again

Vicky

xxxx

Hopefully the numbers wont end up back on their systems and some other mumpty phone you.

Watch out now for phone calls threatening to tell social services you are in trouble, that has been reported on other threads on this site.

If you think logically enough about it the government are in trouble and therfore social services should be checking up on each one of them!

Hopefully the numbers wont end up back on their systems and some other mumpty phone you.

Watch out now for phone calls threatening to tell social services you are in trouble, that has been reported on other threads on this site.

If you think logically enough about it the government are in trouble and therfore social services should be checking up on each one of them!

If you do get a phone call like that then tell the caller that you are recording the phone conversation and that copies of it will be sent to the OFT, your local Trading Standards and the Information Commissioner. Better still make sure that you do record your phone calls and do actually send them!

Hi Sillygirl

I have had the threat of social services by DLC. See my other thread !!!

It was that bad I was ready to kill myself until hundreds of kind, warm people on this board told me it was just a nasty trick by the DCA.

Vicky

xxxx

RMA seems very hyper-sensitive to criticism. I've noticed they seem to be giving their call jockey **** more time than most on the whocallsme comment boards, to try and put some kind of positive spin on the company.

Always the sign of a very desperate company - it cannot tolerate any kind of dissenting opinion.

Hi Sillygirl

I have had the threat of social services by DLC. See my other thread !!!

It was that bad I was ready to kill myself until hundreds of kind, warm people on this board told me it was just a nasty trick by the DCA.

Vicky

xxxx

Jeez Vicky - I can't believe how low these "people" can get. What is more worrying, is that there must be thousands of people like you who haven't found this forum yet, who possibly are contemplating the unthinkable. What we all have in common is that we have debts and we have run into trouble. It happens to small people like us, and it happens to Countries - like the UK and Dubai! (I wonder is DCA's ring up the Emir of Dubai and threaten him with bankrupcy?) Chin up girl - and remember "nil illigitamum carborundum"