• Tweets

• I've had a text and email from MCB: "Dear XXXXX Please contact us today. Your payment has not been brought up to date and we would like to discuss your account with you as a matter of urgency. Our telephone number is 02039236888"   " Early investigations confirm you are resident at the above address. Despite this, we have not managed to speak to you about your now, seriously overdue debt.   We are now instructing our external debt collectors to contact you directly in relation to your loan account. If you want to avoid this course of action, contact us today on 0203 923 6888"
    • What type of finance is it?   HP, PCP, Loan? They want her to ring so they can bully her into making payments she can't afford...unless she can record her calls then IMHO, I'd keep everything in writing. Is £400 SSP her only income? There's no chance they will justify taking half of that.   Lodge a formal complaint with them ASAP, exhaust it, and then you can escalate it sooner rather than later, ruddy sharks!  
    • Is all of this actually on the signage? Don't remember seeing that much detail on other threads.
    • If I have learnt one thing from this forum, it's not to call and communicate via email. I passed this info on to her and they are pushing for her to call them.    "Unfortunately, you will need to call us. The conversation won’t be so black and white as to therefore type over email. In a nutshell we can confirm that the request to not pay for 3 months we cannot put in place"  I emailed them back on her behalf and said that what ever is discussed over the phone will need to be put in an email so that she can review it properly. No decisions will be made on that phone call.    "Once we speak to you on the phone we will follow up with an email to confirm the options discussed. [Phone number]"   Why are they pushing for a phone call? If its not so black and white, why can they then follow up with an email?  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Inside a DCA!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4889 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

What I really like about this thread is that we've gone from inside a DCA to inside a chinchilla cage to inside a police station - and all within the course of a week!! :D

Edited by foolishgirl
typo

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i fully agree with the fact the police are useless.

I posted the begining of the month about my recent attempt at getting a child who was throwing glass bottles at cars dealt with called going round in circles or what.

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Just as a matter of interest ( and in an attempt to suck this thread back to DCA's :D ) what do people feel has changed in DCA's over the past year?

Are they improving and trying to abide by more laws or are they still treating the laws with contempt?

I've had some dealings with people like iQor ( old Legal & Trade ) and whilst they have been chasing 'inappropriate' debt I can't actually blame them as they are being instructed by a bank.

I'm not happy they haven't got agreements before chasing, but I must be honest, the lady who called me was amazingly civil by comparison with the dregs who phoned 3 months earlier - if that is an example then it's the agreements side which needs improving ( are you listening DCA's?) as they really should be afirming prior to attempting to collect, that the debt being chased is a bone-fide account. Other than that their attitude to my request not to phone as is my right to request and their attitude stunned me into silence - maybe they figured out who I am :D

Sarah

I don't think anyone has a problem with DCA's chasing overdue accounts it's just the way they achieve their ends that matters

Precisely my point Joncris. Nobody minds them chasing a debt SO LONG AS they have checked it out before hand and ensured it is a bone-fide debt, with all the legally acceptable agreement and prescribed terms well and truly in place, the debt is not in dispute and they are going about their business in a manner acceptable to both the regulatory bodies and the Law.

However, I am sick to death with DCA's having contacted me over disputed debts, already in query with the original creditor, backed up by application forms which are accompanied by threats of legal action and followed up by ignorant and arrogant twits who do not understand the profession they are in, the OFT Guidelines on debt collection or the laws pertaining to enforcing debts. If they did, not only would their success in collecting bone-fide accounts increase, so would their bonuses and we would get our lives back to some normality. Consumers would not need to spend countless hours writing futile letters complaining, disputing, remonstrating and wasting their hard earned cash on postage, recorded delivery letters @ £1 + each, answering telephone calls which are nothing short of criminal in a lot of cases, intimidating and threatening.

Apart from that, as you say, nobody has a problem!

Sarah

It's possible that DCAs are becoming more wary, if not actually aware of the implications of the all the new legislation that is coming thick & fast but there are still an awful lot of complaints on this forum re. their tactics.

My own recent experience would bear out Sarah's thoughts - I currently have 3 accounts in dispute on which the DCAs have backed off 'cos they can't produce CCAs but I do suspect that eventually they will come at me again.

And changing the phone no. & then never phoning them has certainly helped I'm sure ;) - not as easy a target for the DCA, quiet life for me!

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

My own recent experience would bear out Sarah's thoughts - I currently have 3 accounts in dispute on which the DCAs have backed off 'cos they can't produce CCAs but I do suspect that eventually they will come at me again.

And changing the phone no. & then never phoning them has certainly helped I'm sure ;) - not as easy a target for the DCA, quiet life for me!

As Joncris implies, if you are in debt and someone comes chasing its payment and you are satisfied that company has all the rights to collect, the documentation to support it and can prove it then whilst the whole world and his uncle won't like it, we accept our duty to pay our debt and make an arrangement to pay it. If they come back then they'll know we know what it is they have to have and the more people that remind them the sooner they are going to get it right and the whole industry might, just might, get a little more respectable which is all CAG and the Cabot Fan Club have been trying to achieve over the past 2 years, hence my original question.

It is for the credit industry itself to ween out these dregs who flout the law and kick them out of business, it should not be left for the public to do that, but we are and I feel it's working.

Why should people have to change their phone numbers? - Why should people be threatened? Life is hard enough to get through for hundreds of thousands without this on top of their troubles. I went through a hell once upon a time with these people when life wasn't so kind to me, I swore then I'd get my own back somehow, then came along CAG, the Cabot Fan Club and all the hundreds of thousands of wonderful folk coming here who provided the synergy to achieve it...and we are doing it! :D

Sarah :wink:

I suspect that some DCAs are realising that the days of getting away with flagrantly disregarding the law and regulatory obligations aren't going to last much longer. Some of the letters I have seen recently are much more carefully-worded than before, and DCAs certainly seem more wary about disputed debts.

However, I also suspect that they will be seeking new ways to circumvent what they see as obstructions; vide, for example, the rapid increase in the use of SDs by Worst Cretins and capquest.

Others, like MBNA, appear to have the stupid chromosome so deeply embedded that nothing short of prosecution by TS will stop them, and that seems to be as likely as Broon winning a gold medal for honesty at the next Olympics.

I think we will see change, however, both because of legislation, and because of the economic circumstances. When the host is sick or dies, its parasites go with it. As financial institutions start to lend more responsibly, so the number of debtors will reduce; as money becomes harder to borrow in the commercial world, debt buyers will suffer. Many DCAs are owned by investment companies, mostly overseas-based; companies that aren't performing will find themselves dropped or down-sized.

It's fairly clear that the credit crunch was largely caused by banks, and this has done nothing for their popularity. Also, the FSA was seen to have messed up big style over Northern Wreck and other issues. All of this has led to a downturn in confidence in financial institutions, and the politicians will be keen to demonstrate that they are doing something about it. I expect that enforcement of consumer law will become more of a priority as the economic decline continues.

However, I also suspect that they will be seeking new ways to circumvent what they see as obstructions; vide, for example, the rapid increase in the use of SDs by Worst Cretins and capquest.

I agree SP - this will almost certainly be the next wave of attack for the bottom feeders, you can see the number of reports on here steadily increasing already. Sadly there are always the unethical, immoral & unscrupulous in society who seek out the unwary & the law of the jungle can apply anywhere, no matter how civilised we like to think we are.

Others, like MBNA, appear to have the stupid chromosome so deeply embedded that nothing short of prosecution by TS will stop them, and that seems to be as likely as Broon winning a gold medal for honesty at the next Olympics.

Love your pithy comments & metaphors ! :)

FG

Sarah, I am finding that DCAs are backing off fairly quickly once they have been advised that there is a dispute.

CapQuest have been the only one who have waded in first with a really threatening letter.. then changed their tune when I sent a "THIS IS DISPUTED" response :D

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I dont think that DCAs care if the acc is in dispute or not let alone care about the OFT guidelines.

For example Moorcroft wrote to my OH recently about a debt that Littlewoods have said dont belong to him they have also been told to deal with me only but have they no. I have now wrote a 2 page complaint letter and just to be awkard i have made it in different colours for each paragraph.

They dont seem to care about OFT guidelines so i have complaind to TS and have a file for the OFT to see on littlewoods and moorcroft.

I will tell u something if i was in power a few changes would be made and trust me they would be liked by CAG

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

• 1 month later...

BLACKAMBERMAY--ONTHEBRINK-Has not had any activity on the forum since he was chased away by the forum members.15 july 08

if you have questions start your own tread and they will be replied to by proper members who will direct you in the right direction.(read this tread and you will found out why he`s not been on here).

Cheers B4E:-)

I have asked for this thread to be Locked. It will be unlocked at the request of Onthe brink.

Never belive anything a DCA tells you.

Lex

Please help us to help you. Download the CAG tool bar for free

HERE and use the search option for all your searches. CAG earns a few pennies every time !!!

Please don't rush, take time to read these:-

&

This is always worth referring to

Advice & opinions given by me are personal, are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group or the Bank Action Group. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 2 years later...