HFC-No Agreement? - Amended defence help please **WON**

robcag
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4544 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ho ho ho :lol:

No, father xmas hasn't arrived early!

I just received in todays post a 'reminder' dated 28 Aug 2008 from Marlin (addressed Dear Sir/Madam, We give you notice that...) that on 18 July 2008 they acquired all rights in, to and under this account by an assignment, and they became the creditor to whom I owe the outstanding balance of £XXXXX.XX.

They go on to say "any legal action already taken against you will be continued in the name of the creditor" (go ahead, make my day:)), that I should contact them immediately to arrange payment terms (I don't think I'll bother thanks), that they are the data controller, blah blah....

Also something which is probably a bit naughty, that "certain costs associated with the legal process may be added to your account, as may be interest on the full outstanding balance including legal costs." Well I think if they are foolish enough to try any further enforcement through the courts they will get their nose bloodied and end up forking out for costs themselves. :)

(I haven't contacted them at all regarding this alleged account, but I did do so in connection with the HFC other account, which for whatever reason they now know has a Judgement against it, and I also received a similar letter for that one yesterday).

Just thought I'd post this as it looks like others will probably be getting similar letters from Marlin. :rolleyes:

Cheers

Rob

Hi,

Well, I look forward to receiving my letter!

Not today though. Postman has been, there's nothing from Marlin!

Jeff.

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Robocag,

They don't give up do they:rolleyes:

I am sorry to say that I have received absolutely nothing from hfc or the unknown 3rd party.:confused: but maybe I will speak too soon, my papers might be heading their way to the post room as we speak.

Anyway back to your letter, I do hope that you will respond back to them is a most satisfactory way.:lol:

Maybe mention their conduct to the OFT and Trading Standards, and maybe don't let hfc of the hook either

If any of my posts are helpful, please feel free to click my scales. All information is given as my opinion only, based on my own personal experiences. I have no legal training, but have educated myself in aspects of consumer legislation. My motto "NEVER GIVE IN, NEVER SURRENDER", THERE IS A WAR ON YOU KNOW

I'm in the same boat with Marlins chasing an HFC debt.

They sent a LoA and I responded until I received something from H FC to confirm their status they can narf orf

I have a CCJ and they insist that the LoA entitles me to now make payments to them and another naff orf as the judgment states I pay Restons. In fact I'd welcome their taking me to court as this will get my case before a judge before the FOS case is decided.

Btm line I'm not paying them until I get told by a judge to do so.

I'm not an expert so check everything I tell you, however click me scales if I've been useful.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

There is no freemasonry like the freemasonry of Golf

I have a CCJ and they insist that the LoA entitles me to now make payments to them and another naff orf as the judgment states I pay Restons. In fact I'd welcome their taking me to court as this will get my case before a judge before the FOS case is decided.

Btm line I'm not paying them until I get told by a judge to do so.

Hi conar

I'm also not paying Marlins on either of my 2 accounts, especially this one! Regarding the other one (with the CCJ/Charging Order), I am continuing to pay Restons just in case, although having checked my Credit Report files the balance has not decreased for the past 3 months :-?:rolleyes:

The Judgement for the 'other' account was a payment forthwith order, which I obviously could not pay, and that is why they obtained the CO which I didn't know anything about how to oppose at the time.

Also conar, I believe your account for which you are contemplating applying for a set-aside is regarding a credit card? If so, AFAIK, the OFT case regarding penalty charges has no bearing on credit card accounts, just bank (current ?) accounts. ;)

One point which may be of interest to people who have been contacted by Marlin (with an alleged NoA) is the fact that having checked my Credit Report, the 2 HFC accounts are still being updated by HFC as 'Default' (up to and including Aug 2008 ), there is nothing as yet from Marlin/Phoenix. :confused::rolleyes:

Cheers

Rob

Rob

Looks like we're all in a similar boat, I've reported them & HFc to my FOS & TS case officers. I'll post what comes back, but don't hold your breath.

Your right about my case being in conjunction with a cc but I want the decision on charges clear that's why I'm willing to wait for the OFT case to complete.

Lets keep each other upto date

I'm not an expert so check everything I tell you, however click me scales if I've been useful.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

In this mornings post I've just received a brief reply to the latest letter I wrote to Marlin a few days ago, in which I doubted the lawfulness of their actions, asked them who the alleged 'client' was to whom they continually refer, and asked them in what capacity they were acting and under what legal authority.

The reply has come from the Complaints Department even though my recent letter wasn't actually a complaint, more of a 'I don't believe you' theme. It says "I am investigating your complaint and can confirm that we have in place a procedure whereby we try to investigate and resolve complaints within an eight week period". "I will respond to the issues as soon as possible".

Well in that case don't bother sending any more of your stupid letters until you have satisfied yourself that you have investigated thoroughly. :rolleyes:

Something I just noticed when checking the Royal Mail proof of delivery page because of Marlins claim in their reply to have received my letter a day later than expected is that the RM site says the item was re-directed. I checked a previous letter and found the same thing.

So for some reason, even though I have sent all my letters to the address given at the bottom of Marlins notepaper (2 The Courtyard etc.), it appears they are using premises elsewhere.

Cheers

Rob

Thanks for clearing that little matter up Chalkitup.

I guess we should be seeing some updated notepaper from Marlin soon, but I doubt if they'll bother until they've used up all the old stuff first. I don't know why they don't cut out the middle-man and place it straight into use in their own toilet!

Cheers

Rob

I received my new Marlin notepaper yesterday;)

They now have a Compartment "Potomac Recoveries".

So many different names, is it any wonder we are confused:confused:

LTSB court date 25/7/07

17/7/07 I WON I WON I WON!!!!:p :grin:

HSBC court date 11/9/07 (stayed)

CapOne lba 7/1/08-15/3/08 WON.

Citicards lba 14/1/08

Read Read and Read Some:razz: More

If I've been helpful in anyway please tip my scales:rolleyes:

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Seek the advice of an insured qualified professional if you have any doubts.

I received my new Marlin notepaper yesterday what was the address (presumably along the bottom)?

They now have a Compartment "Potomac Recoveries". I've had a couple of letters which mention that, but with the old address on them. Probably nothing to link their choice of name, but "Potomac Recoveries" reminds me of the plane crash in the US quite a few years ago where an airliner ended up in the Potomac river, Washington DC, killing quite a few people, with them and the survivors being recovered from the freezing water, see Air Florida Flight 90 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So many different names, is it any wonder we are confused:confused: let's hope it confuses Marlin as well! ;)

Cheers

Rob

address along the bottom as per usual - 16 - 22 grafton road, worthing, west sussex, BN11 1QP. Assume postman will get there quicker with cca requests.

And yes I remember that incident, very tragic, not a very nice association:(

LTSB court date 25/7/07

17/7/07 I WON I WON I WON!!!!:p :grin:

HSBC court date 11/9/07 (stayed)

CapOne lba 7/1/08-15/3/08 WON.

Citicards lba 14/1/08

Read Read and Read Some:razz: More

If I've been helpful in anyway please tip my scales:rolleyes:

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Seek the advice of an insured qualified professional if you have any doubts.

Hello,

It appears that.....

Name & Registered Office:

MARLIN FINANCIAL SERVICES LIMITED

THE COURTYARD BEEDING COURT

SHOREHAM ROAD

STEYNING

WEST SUSSEX

BN44 3TN

Company No. 04618038

spacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifStatus: Active

Date of Incorporation: 16/12/2002

Country of Origin: United Kingdom

Company Type: Private Limited Company

Nature of Business (SIC(03)):

7487 - Other business activities

Accounting Reference Date: 31/12

Last Accounts Made Up To: 31/12/2006 (SMALL)

Next Accounts Due: 31/10/2008

Last Return Made Up To: 16/12/2007

Next Return Due: 13/01/2009

Last Members List: 16/12/2007

Previous Names:Date of changePrevious Name

29/03/2004MARLIN CAPITAL EUROPE PORTFOLIO GROUP LIMITED

22/01/2003DOLFMAY LIMITED

Has changed into....

Name & Registered Office:

MARLIN (SUSSEX) LIMITED

15 GRAFTON ROAD

WORTHING

WEST SUSSEX

BN11 1QR

Company No. 06640678

spacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifStatus: Active

Date of Incorporation: 08/07/2008

Country of Origin: United Kingdom

Company Type: Private Limited Company

Nature of Business (SIC(03)):

None Supplied

Accounting Reference Date: 31/07

Last Accounts Made Up To: (NO ACCOUNTS FILED)

Next Accounts Due: 08/04/2010

Last Return Made Up To:

Next Return Due: 05/08/2009

Previous Names:No previous name information has been recorded over the last 20 years. ??????

Onwards and Upwards

Chalkitup

Edited by Chalkitup

Ditto...I have received the same letter..they may think the Rankine judgement means they can now litiagte with out producing a CCA...we need to watch and prepare.

BTW their website explains their new address and the fact it can accomadate 180 workers....

Live Life-Debt Free

while i need to be careful what i post on the open forum, i have a drafted opinion at work from a Barrister who was involved with one of the House of Lords cases relating to consumer Credit which confirms that firstly in their opinion Rankine is easily over come with the present case law which is still active, remember that a higher court cannot be overruled by a lower court and Rankine was the Birmingham District Registry High Court

on the second point he confirms that the statute provides that there must be a document signed by the debtor , that must be produced if the owner or creditor is to obtain an order under S65

if there is no agreement then there can be no order

that is it in a nut shell,

i wish io could post more but we do not need to worry about Rankine!!

• 3 weeks later...
Hi All

I just had a phone call, which when answered, even though I said "hello" several times, the caller remained silent (and no call centre noises in the background either).

When I googled the number (01903 817550) I got;

2 Shoreham Rd, Upper-Beeding, Steyning, West-Sussex, BN44 3TN Telephone 01903 817550 Marlin Financial Services Ltd Website

I wonder who that was then, and why they were scared to speak? :rolleyes:

Perhaps they thought I'd call the number back and pay for the call.

Cheers

Rob

Given the fine that Barclaycard got this week perhaps a case for OfCom ? When my mo-in-law was getting all these computer generated calls we changed her number. Because she is in her eighties and even though she only rented the line but used Saga for the calls, BT were very helpful and speedy. We don't call anyone and never give a phone number. Ever.

• 3 weeks later...
Any more news on this?

Hi tb20

If you mean the original account which this thread was about and which Marlins claimed to have been assigned, then there is nothing more to add so far. Not heard diddly-squat since the first letter from Marlin (and I haven't replied to them either).

The other HFC account with the judgement already against it and which Marlin also claim to have had assigned to them is apparently 'on hold' (?) while they investigate my complaint (as they have decided to treat my accusations of doubt against them).

Cheers

Rob

• 1 month later...

I am having similar problems with Restons. I am about to start my own thread in the forum and I am considering how much information would be safe to post here. I know we have to exclude any details of our particulars, but I think that Restons would be able to trace a Particular letter or information to my case. Could that have a potential for a legal problem with this lot? Telling by previous threads it looks like this firm does not play the game by the rules.

user_online.gifreputation.gif report.gif

I am having similar problems with Restons. I am about to start my own thread in the forum and I am considering how much information would be safe to post here. I know we have to exclude any details of our particulars, but I think that Restons would be able to trace a Particular letter or information to my case. Could that have a potential for a legal problem with this lot? Telling by previous threads it looks like this firm does not play the game by the rules.

user_online.gifreputation.gif report.gif

They don't play by the rules, but their attempts to bring proceedings are frought for them, as a result. There are many examples on the forums - take a look through them (see my HFC -v- car2403 thread for starters) to see what you are facing.

Ultimately, only you can answer your question, as it depends how far you really want to take them to task. You're right, though, that they are well aware of CAG and the effect that has - there's no real way of remaining completely anonimous to the other side, IMHO...

Looks like HFC Bank employ Mystic Meg and saw the credit crunch coming, looked around for some idiots to pay loads of money for debts and, hey ho, along came Marlin!

LOL, I haven't heard from Marlins for ages maybe they've been 'gaffed and eaten'

• 1 month later...

Just found this thread and looking at post no 363 re: rights to assign are contained in the original CCA if no CCa can be produced then no right to assign.

If this is correct then would it follow that any subsequent chasing of the alleged debt by a DCA could be interpreted as obtaining money under false pretences/fraud? Not a legal eagle so not sure of the terms/offence it would come under. then following this logically if that was the case could one then recover all monies paid out to DCA as they have committed a criminal act?

As i say not sure about this I had a look through the thread but couldnt see anything about this and dont know where it could lead, if anywhere.

Advice & opinions given by spartathisis are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.:)

• 2 weeks later...

subbing for reference

Lowell Financial (Monument) No CCA - File Closed ** WON**:D

1st Credit (Citi Financial) No CCA - Credit Report Marked 'Satisfied' ** WON **:D

American Express No CCA - Pending

RBS Mint No CCA - Pending

CL Finance (Morgan Stanley) No CCA - In Court:eek:

HSBC - No CCA - In Court:eek:

Link Financial (MBNA) No CCA - Pending